i have to say, i really loved this version of Frank. Was it perfect? Absolutely not. But its' strengths outweigh its' weaknesses in a very major way. My wife's uncle said the only problem he had with Thomas' portrayal was that his eyes weren't dead, the way Frank's should be, but i reminded him that this was his first time out of the gate, and this obviously was a very personal mission for him, so it makes perfect sense that he still has some fire in his eyes.

One of my favorite things about this (aside from the relevance that the concept of Punishment has for me now) is the fact that this really was an old-school action movie. Not a lot of CGI, no Matrix-type bullshit, just good old-fashioned guts and guns. Thomas is very much a new Steve McQueen, i feel, and i really hope the general public will get their heads out of their asses, stop watching minimally talented pretty boys, and start throwing money at him.

He's still got my vote as one of the baddest motherfuckers in the business.

Oh, and for all you critics of the scene, Thomas told me one of his favorite scenes is the fight with the Russian.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you gotta love that it was a completely analog film, you don't see too many of those these days. Shit, War Zone: Punisher looks like it's going to be using some CG explosions, and CG blood.

Guest FADoss

I have never criticized the scene with the Russian for the record. One of my favorite parts of the film. I just don't think that anyone can rationally use it to justify Kevin Nash as a great actor.

I would never use The Punisher to judge Nash as an actor. I used his acting from wrestling - which isn't bad - but more importantly, his acting from The Longest Yard, which I thought was hilarious and GOOD. He surprised the hell out of me. He was the funniest character in the film. The director was saying in some behind the scenes footage that Nash was only given a very small amount of dialogue but they kept adding more for him as he caught everyone by surprise. If you haven't seen the movie, go see it. It's got a great cast of actors/athletes and it's just a fun film.

-Raff

I would never use The Punisher to judge Nash as an actor. I used his acting from wrestling - which isn't bad - but more importantly, his acting from The Longest Yard, which I thought was hilarious and GOOD. He surprised the hell out of me. He was the funniest character in the film. The director was saying in some behind the scenes footage that Nash was only given a very small amount of dialogue but they kept adding more for him as he caught everyone by surprise. If you haven't seen the movie, go see it. It's got a great cast of actors/athletes and it's just a fun film.

-Raff

Nash was good at being a huge thug in wrestling...But now i gotta see Longest Yard because I had no idea the dude could be funny.

What alotta people don't know, is that Nash is a talented writer.

He is responsible for the best writing ever put into a wrestling Fed - The NWO.

Nash was the mastermind that convinced Scott Hall to go over to WCW with him after he sold the idea to WCW, defecting from WWF.

He was also responsible for getting Hogan to headline their squad.

People think he's just a huge brute.

The man can write.

He's a huge fan of old westerns and revenge stories.

The biggest problem Kev's had, is that people won't see past his size and wrestling reputation to give him a lead role.

If MARVEL was smart, they'd give him a shot at serious dialogue with THOR.

Kev would also come in real cheap.

Jonathan Hensleigh really liked Kev's personality.

He expected a stupid wrestler and ended up being really impressed by his acting skills despite the lack of dialogue.

IT IS possible for a wrestler to fuck up a fight like that.

That was an exceptional fight, and probably the best cinematic brawl by a wrestler.

Nash is the best at what he does and that's why he's one of the most powerful men in wrestling in the last 20 years.

If he were to move that strategy to film, there would be no stopping him.

He's also got a good mug, chicks dig him.

-TL

Can't find many 50 year olds who look like they're 35.... Nash is one of them. There's no fuckin sign of age on him. It's sick. He's the man. HE NEEDS TO BE THOR

Guest FADoss
What alotta people don't know, is that Nash is a talented writer.

He is responsible for the best writing ever put into a wrestling Fed - The NWO.

Nash was the mastermind that convinced Scott Hall to go over to WCW with him after he sold the idea to WCW, defecting from WWF.

He was also responsible for getting Hogan to headline their squad.

People think he's just a huge brute.

The man can write.

He's a huge fan of old westerns and revenge stories.

The biggest problem Kev's had, is that people won't see past his size and wrestling reputation to give him a lead role.

If MARVEL was smart, they'd give him a shot at serious dialogue with THOR.

Kev would also come in real cheap.

Jonathan Hensleigh really liked Kev's personality.

He expected a stupid wrestler and ended up being really impressed by his acting skills despite the lack of dialogue.

IT IS possible for a wrestler to fuck up a fight like that.

That was an exceptional fight, and probably the best cinematic brawl by a wrestler.

Nash is the best at what he does and that's why he's one of the most powerful men in wrestling in the last 20 years.

If he were to move that strategy to film, there would be no stopping him.

He's also got a good mug, chicks dig him.

-TL

Damn...I think you just sold me on Kevin Nash...

I'm completely serious.

Fred

I'm completely serious.

Fred

Really? Lol

Go see Longest Yard. He can do it. Thor is a corny character and a silly guy.... Kevin Nash will definitely sell himself in the Longest Yard.

-Raf

Yeah, me either. I don't care if he booked wrestling for WCW, what does writing have to do with acting exactly? He very well maybe a good actor, but from what I've seen of him, he doesn't do it for me.

I'm completely serious.

Fred

Dude, I gotta send you a copy of Kev's SHOOT interview.

You will love hearing this guy talk film, politics and road gigs.

He's also very open about the bad roiding, drug use and alcoholism that he dropped 10 years ago.

Hmmm... he doesn't do it for me.

Amy, the problem is for a character like THOR - who would do it for you?

We're talkin about a mythical character equivalent to Hercules that was supposed to look like Dolph Lundgren meets Zeus.

There aren't alotta people out there with Oscars under their belts that look like that.

*We are fortunate to have Nash on the roster.

Scandinavian male, 6'11", AMAZING physique (God-like), attractive face, skilled in fighting and ABOVE ALL = A pretty good actor.

Kev is also a possible option because he doesn't command huge salaries from his films. MARVEL could definitely afford him.

To cast someone lacking ANY of the above qualities is to take away from THOR as a character and from what he is in the source material and the mythology.

When I heard Kevin McKidd was being considered, I laughed.

The God of War reduced to a lean British guy. Shit.

The Brad Pitt rumors were just outrageous. THOR is a God, Achilles was not.

kevinnashgenesishu8.png

-TL

Guest FADoss
Yeah, me either. I don't care if he booked wrestling for WCW, what does writing have to do with acting exactly? He very well maybe a good actor, but from what I've seen of him, he doesn't do it for me.

These were my Ray Stevenson arguments...that you could give a guy the benefit of the doubt based on adequate talent and a decent look for the character.

I counter with, what has he done to make you think he "can't" do it. I've been pretty hard on the wrestling thing in the past, because, let's face it Cena's "The Marine" was shit and the stuff you see on TV is NOT my idea of good acting.

However, enter "The Rock" Dwayne Johnson is fantastic as far as action goes and pretty funny besides. I have to give him credit. SO, maybe Nash is the man for the job.

Fred

Let's face it Cena's "The Marine" was shit.

I agree, the movie was a fuckin disaster.

Same goes for Kane's See No Evil and Triple H's role in Blade: Trinity.

Kev's the best of the bunch and He's much more charismatic than Dwayne Johnson.

I also prefer his name more than anyone else's.

KEVIN NASH

Sounds fuckin certifiable.

-TL

These were my Ray Stevenson arguments...that you could give a guy the benefit of the doubt based on adequate talent and a decent look for the character.

I counter with, what has he done to make you think he "can't" do it. I've been pretty hard on the wrestling thing in the past, because, let's face it Cena's "The Marine" was shit and the stuff you see on TV is NOT my idea of good acting.

However, enter "The Rock" Dwayne Johnson is fantastic as far as action goes and pretty funny besides. I have to give him credit. SO, maybe Nash is the man for the job.

Fred

I'm not saying that can't, just that I haven't seen anything to make me think that he would be perfect, if that makes a lick of sense.

Thor is probably going to be filled with action, and the guy blew his knee out stepping out of the before so.... Plus, I think Marvel is going the serious fantasy epic route with it, I mean they are talking to Kenneth Branagh about doing it.

Thor is probably going to be filled with action, and the guy blew his knee out stepping out of the before so....

What does that mean?

If you're suggesting Kev isn't up to the challenge physically - you are wayyy off.

Plus, I think Marvel is going the serious fantasy epic route with it, I mean they are talking to Kenneth Branagh about doing it.

Like I wrote earlier, THOR is a mythical scandinavian equivalent to Hercules.

The source material REQUIRES a guy like Kev.

Naturally, the ideal thing is for a guy like that to be able to act too.

Anyway, who do you have in mind?

-TL

I honestly don't know, a couple of years ago I would have said Vladimir Kulich he's the right size, but he might be a bit up there in age now. I'd say Marvel is going to askew younger than 50 for Thor.

But you know I wouldn't be against, Nash playing another god, just not Thor.

I'd say Marvel is going to askew younger than 50 for Thor. But you know I wouldn't be against Nash playing another god, just not Thor.

Dude, I hope you're not suggesting THOR needs to be a young pretty boy urgo Kevin McKidd.

Kev is really the only DECENT option and He's not a bad option.

He fits the physical aspects perfectly, he looks 40, and he's a virtual replica of the Ultimate Thor incarnation of the character.

The problem is you haven't seen him act, so you don't share my confidence in his ability to play a mythical God of War.

Watch the following videos in the order they are posted:

Enjoy,

-TL

What's wrong with Kevin McKidd?

But I do think they're going to go for someone in their 30s possibly early 40s for the part.

But they really should be basing it more off of the Ultimate version, where you don't really know is he the god of thunder or a nut job with a hammer?

This conversation should be moved to Thor thread.

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a message and pic from Tom! :D :

"This was a pic shot right before I dropped out of P2 - just found it in an

old file. This was right before the 'cutting' stage where I'd drop the

excess fat. What could have been..." TJ

TJPrePunisher2.jpg

Jen

The guy had good size.

Ray Stevenson is half his size and 6 inches taller.

-TL

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.