Give 'em Hell Malone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AdminGuyX
Did a leetle sketch of Malone.

;) I love it. You put a lot of attitude and feeling into that sketch man.

I've been messing around with drawing Malone as well.

Watching the longer sizzle reel was very inspirational for me. It made em want to sit down and draw. Got the blood pumping.

My scanner is busted, so I decided to take a picture of this, and high contrast it. Lose a bit of sharpness, but still, until I get a new scanner, here it is.

malone1sm.jpg

As you can see, I'm very influenced by this kind of high contrast work. I just LOVE IT.

Tim's posters have the same effect on me, I want to sit down and draw Malone lurking through shadows and punishing the evil all day instead of doing my damn work!

;)

Guest AdminGuyX
OK, so here is the art posted to our native thread.

MaloneCannesR7Alt1afinal.jpg

MaloneWhiteNoireRFINAL.jpg

BIG thanks to Russell and Thomas for getting behind these.

It could not have happened without their extremely valuable input.

Color me JACKED!

- TB

By the way, I LOVE the credit block. Another smaller element that has a huge impact. I think the credit block looks KILLER on that second poster.

AWESOME Noeland, just AWESOME!!

- TB

PS - And Noeland is right xNLx, You really captured Jane AND Malone's attitude with that wonderful sketch.

Oh, you all just flatter me! ;) As I told Mark, that was done digitally in about 10 minutes or so in sketchbook pro (which I'm offering $5 sketches to help afford the program, note me if anyone is interested), and now I'm getting the kick to do something bigger and complex. Sorry for the shilling.

And Noeland, that IS the bee's knees! I think you and I are going to have the try and keep outdoing each other. Since you had to set the bar high and all, damn you :P

Love the "fan" art, guys ... and agree with Noeland on the credit block of the graphic poster.

Tim, love them both - might prefer the first one if Malone were NOT in a color wash, but rather grey-scaled out, like his tie in the second.

The second - iconic perfection, drawing us back into film noir via a 70s film tip-of-the-hat conduit.

A cinematic time-machine to two different eras of bad-ass film-making about bad-ass characters.

What's not to dig? B)

Hey all, the last thing I want to do is start a riot ;)

And please don't.

But check out what some other fans are saying about the posters over at Filmscoolrejects

Some people are not nearly so complimentary or well spoken as you all are.

The Spirit? Really???

Good Grief. Oh yeah that's right, The Spirit is the only film ever made that has guys with cool retro hats.

Don't bring me into it, no need to defend me, that's not the point. Unbiased is best and your comments there are most welcome.

If you want to do more to support the film you can do so there. -> http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/firs...hell-malone.php

Also - It has finally come to our attention that Hannibal released the images to FSR themselves.

FSR got the scoop. The other sites just picked it up.

- TB

Of course, Mean Streets! :)

First of all I think all the posters are really cool, my brother checked them out and thought they were awesome. He really liked the detail with the car on the second poster.

Personally, of the two posters, I like Poster#1 the best. I think it's retro, yet modern. And it gets even better the more I look at it. Poster#2 is just pure retro imo. But I think it lacks something.. The contrast might be too strong for me. I might have liked it better if the white had been "stained" like the oldest poster which is up on the FB group (let's call it Poster#3). It's really cool seeing Malone being "blended" into the artwork in Poster#2 though. With kind of a threshold effect. It would definitely attract people's attention, but it's really hard judging from a picture and not a big printed poster. I think you need to print some out and put them up on a wall to get the full "feel" of it.

Poster#1 is the best imo, but my biggest fav so far is Poster#3. I have no idea what the movie is about though, and I think you guys that are involved with it would know best what feel the poster should have (and definitely Mr. Mulcahy). For me they are all very noir and dark, but I love stuff like that.

Just my two cents. Good luck!

PS: xNLx & noelandlovesguns, WOW. I loved the artwork! You guys are really talented.

PS: xNLx & noelandlovesguns, WOW. I loved the artwork! You guys are really talented.

They sure as hell are. Great Job guys, freakin' awesome!

Hey all, the last thing I want to do is start a riot ;)

And please don't.

But check out what some other fans are saying about the posters over at Filmscoolrejects

Some people are not nearly so complimentary or well spoken as you all are.

The Spirit? Really???

Good Grief. Oh yeah that's right, The Spirit is the only film ever made that has guys with cool retro hats.

Don't bring me into it, no need to defend me, that's not the point. Unbiased is best and your comments there are most welcome.

If you want to do more to support the film you can do so there. -> http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/firs...hell-malone.php

Also - It has finally come to our attention that Hannibal released the images to FSR themselves.

FSR got the scoop. The other sites just picked it up.

- TB

Yep...some brain dead fucking morons over there...

Halleluja! (I think that's the correct spelling, Tim ^^)

I really like both posters, but I prefer #1. Like Nighthawk said, it has a cool retro feel, but with a modern spin. The black and white captures the dark tone and it sucks you right into the Noir world. Malone looks badass, it's a cool pose.

I think the Malone picture on poster #2 is good as well, but there is too much white in my opinion and so some of the black elements seem a bit cheap like the gun and the title font...

Guest AdminGuyX

I suppose anything black and white red is going to get Sin City and Spirit comments like that. I liked a few of the spirit posters though.

But Malone is a film that would deliver on Spirit level hype in every single way The Spirit did not. No question about it.

I HOPE Give em Hell Malone gets that kind of rollout.

Both posters are fantastic. I'm trying to find space to put them on my wall as soon as I can get a hold of them. Number 2 is my favorite. Too bad some people are just not getting it. As for comparing it to The Spirit, no comment.

The only complaint I have about the posters is that Mark's name is not in bigger blocks. The writer always gets the shaft ;)

Everything has already been said, but what the hell? I like both posters, but the second one is better. It's different, but comfortable. It says everything you need to know about the movie. A bad ass lead, a bad ass car, a sexy woman (with the lips), and a big fucking gun.

I did not think spirit when I first saw it all. When I see posters for spirit, which are not all bad, I feel like kicking Miller in the penis.

Great work, Tim! I'm looking forward to more. Everyone on this board seems to have talent besides me. All I can do is break things. caused by clumsiness usually (and sometimes a violent psychotic outburst :( )

Well, I haven't been able to visit the forum for a couple of days and come back to all this excitement about posters! Very nice to see them and read all the comments here. I've been sitting here looking at both posters so I can offer my opinion. Most of the posts have been from guys, so this is the old lady opinion:

I'm here because I like Thomas Jane as an actor. I like to see him on screen. So his image and the expression on his face is important to me. I think I like his expression in poster #2 better. It would be easier to tell if I could see a full sized poster. He is Malone, so it makes sense to me that he is alone on the poster. I'm not going to see the movie to see Ving or Elsa, though I'm sure they'll add a lot to it. I'm going to see Thomas Jane as Malone. I like the red lipstick in poster #2 because that lets the viewer know that there will be some romance or female interaction of some type in the film. I don't get that from poster #1. Well, maybe the "harder to love" line. But the lips pop that right out at you even if you're illiterate.

White on black or black on white, I like the credits on both posters. I hate it when credits are printed in black on a brown background or white on a yellow background, or something stupid like that. These credits you can actually see and read.

I didn't read the comments on the other sites yet, and I never saw The Spirit, but I did see plenty of commercials for it. Lots of black, white and red. So maybe the production company is worried that folks will look at these posters and think this is just another graphic novel brought to the screen??? If they take the time to watch the trailer, they'll know this isn't so. But if they only see the poster, they may not bother. Marketing would have to deal with that. So I can see where they might want some color in it. And I don't think adding flesh tones to Malone would be a deal breaker. You have to remember that the posters of old that you're trying to emulate where before the whole graphic novel put to film phenomenon.

That's all I have for now. And halleluia is another spelling I've seen, but your's were quite creative.

The only complaint I have about the posters is that Mark's name is not in bigger blocks. The writer always gets the shaft ;)

So true. But hey, if we DIDN'T get the shaft, we'd be shitty writers. I firmly believe that the best writing comes from a place of deep insecurity and fear. It goes along with spending months / years of your life writing on spec and maybe / maybe not have it go anywhere.

Yeah, that bothered me a lot too.

In earlier forms of the poster before everybody and their mother got a fucking producer credit, Hosack's name was big, as it should be, for there would be no film called Give 'Em Hell Malone without the writer. Believe me, if there was any way I could have done something about that you can bet it would have been done.

Love the new comments on FSR. Of course I'm biased but I love the intelligent observations, even if they are critical, intelligently critical.

Thanks for all your thoughts everyone.

And Hosack, you bastard, you make me blush.

Also, because I love you all, AND because when you are a member here at the RAW boards you can ALWAYS expect to find something you can't find anywhere else . . . I offer you a look at my first pass of the White Noir design. I still very much love this one, maybe even more than the official version cause I love the Malone figure (and I love the building windows which they made me dump). This has the reds hotter than my original but other than that, this is what I sent over and NEVER expected in a million years they'd use (or in this case, a variation of it). It's more what I meant by referring to Mean Streets.

MaloneWhiteNoireRV2.jpg

You're humble servant - TB

Guest AdminGuyX

I just love the treatment of the Mateba. It's a sexy gun anyway, but once Tim gets a hold of it, graphically speaking, it's a sex symbol.

I swear man, someone needs to send these posters to Emilio Ghisoni. He should have hired you when they were trying to market the gun years ago!!

;)

Yeah, that bothered me a lot too.

In earlier forms of the poster before everybody and their mother got a fucking producer credit, Hosack's name was big, as it should be, for there would be no film called Give 'Em Hell Malone without the writer. Believe me, if there was any way I could have done something about that you can bet it would have been done.

Love the new comments on FSR. Of course I'm biased but I love the intelligent observations, even if they are critical, intelligently critical.

Thanks for all your thoughts everyone.

And Hosack, you bastard, you make me blush.

Also, because I love you all, AND because when you are a member here at the RAW boards you can ALWAYS expect to find something you can't find anywhere else . . . I offer you a look at my first pass of the White Noir design. I still very much love this one, maybe even more than the official version cause I love the Malone figure (and I love the building windows which they made me dump). This has the reds hotter than my original but other than that, this is what I sent over and NEVER expected in a million years they'd use (or in this case, a variation of it). It's more what I meant by referring to Mean Streets.

MaloneWhiteNoireRV2.jpg

That shot of Jane with the gun reminds me of Dirty Harry, which is awesome :D . I can't wait for this movie!

http://www.alanblencowe.com/imagesalan/dirty_harry.gif

As a production update, word is that the audio is really great, I think David, the composer, is doing some cool jazz stuff, at least he's a classically trained jazz musician. I hear that the color timing is also finished (which you should see in the trailer). Juniper Post is doing all of the post audio, they're excellent -- they did The Big Lebowski! I based a character in Malone off The Dude. At any rate, everything's kicked into overdrive to get the film finished. Expect things to start heating up through the end of Cannes. Tim's posters were the big kick off.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.