Cormac McCarthy's The Road

Arsh

This seems interesting... they are making a film adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's The Road. The last McCarthy adaptation came out very well (No Country for Old Men). The film stars Viggo Mortensen, Charlize Theron and Kodi Smit-McPhee. Seems like an interesting post-apocalyptic tale.

Here's the first shot from the film:

roadx-large.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2...d-preview_N.htm

I've been looking forward to this.

I currently reading McCarthy's Blood Meridian, Or the Evening Redness in the West. I think I read somewhere that one of the Scott brothers is trying to get it made into a movie. It's a pretty brutal western, I would love to see it get made.

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome book (Get it now, wont be disappointed), but even with the excess of talent onboard, I'm not sure they will be able to do it justice. Hope I'm prooved wrong though.

• 2 weeks later...

No trailer that I can find.

A few pics are all I have found, plus a movie poster.

I was turned on to the book about a year ago and it's brilliant (naturally).

My money is on the movie doing it as close to justice as you can get.

I remember when I saw The Proposition I was telling friends of mine who are fans of the book Blood Meridian that if anyone could direct a film adaptation based on this superbly violent, mud, and blood masterpiece it would be John Hillcoat. Then low and behold, when Hillcoat's next project was announced it turned out to be a Cormac McCarthy project (go figure). Hope that doesn't mean Hillcoat won't attempt Blood Meridian someday. I can't wait for The Road. I'm anticipating this even more than the new Bond film.

Thankfully we don't have to wait until January ;)

- TB

Thankfully we don't have to wait until January ;)

Hmmm, I wonder if I should go see RocknRolla tonight or wait 6 weeks, fly to America and watch it when it's released there instead? ;)

..... not that Guy Ritchie is a patch on John Hillcoat but we take consolation where we can .... (I'm still bitter about having to wait until July 2008 to see The Mist in the cinema in the UK... time for some healing :P )

Heh, well after Revolver, I can wait a good stretch to see Ritchie's next film.

Though it does look like he's gone back to form with RocknRolla.

Tom Wilkinson's presence alone gets me jacked.

But I'm even more curious about Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr.

- TB

Guessing there is no point in asking you any questions about it as

a. They probably made you sign some sort of non-disclosure agreement

b. This is a thread for the 'The Road'

But I do have a general question if that's cool, What happens the storyboards once the film is wrapped. Guessing the production company retains the rights etc... but damn it if I aint just curious.

Guessing there is no point in asking you any questions about it as

a. They probably made you sign some sort of non-disclosure agreement

b. This is a thread for the 'The Road'

But I do have a general question if that's cool, What happens the storyboards once the film is wrapped. Guessing the production company retains the rights etc... but damn it if I aint just curious.

A: yep, 'fraid so

B: Indeed

In my experience all storyboards are technically owned by the production and we artists have to sign everything over. I keep personal copies but original artwork is exclusively theirs.

Cheers for the response. :)

That's a shame to think of all that original artwork being boxed up and put in an archive somewhere. Art should be enjoyed and appreciated, not filed away. Oh well, at least some of it should make it onto some of the better DVD extra's I guess.

• 2 months later...
I haven't heard anything solid. Only that it's too dark, so they're pushing it to next year.

Apparently no one on the distribution side read the novel or saw THE PROPOSITION.

Yeah, whatthefuck did they think they were developing . . . PeterFuckingPan?

If only more people would have lined up to see the fucking MIST last November.

I'll bet you a Wolf's balls that if Mist had made $ they wouldn't be so quick to give The Road a coat of fucking 'friendly'.

Whatta shit thing to do to this film (at least in theory) and it's built-in fans.

- TB

From what I've heard the reason for the US shelving is more so that Weinstein doesn't have enough money in the coffers to cover the distribution costs. Have a read here.

Killshot is caught up in this mess also. Interesting that there is a lot of reliance on Inglorious Bastards to pull Weinstein out of the hole it is in..

regards

Andrew

All I can find is a release date of "early 2009". Too bad, I really wanted to see this.

As for the Weinstiens, they just need to hire some new marketing and schedualing people. A lot of their problems come from poor managment. I've enjoyed quite a number of their films so I find this kind of sad. And to think that 15 years ago they were the golden boys of indie film.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...