The Punisher: WarZone

Tim Bradstreet

I've fucking lost sleep over this shit, it pisses me off that goddam much.

Not only does it piss me off, it scares the shit outta me. I don't usally express myself in this manner, but this pisses me off so fierceomly I'll happily make an exepction.

What are they thinking?

Replace the score with a numetal soundtrack? A harebrained peice of shit idea that will do nothing butprematurely age and diminish the movie, but not the end of the world. I agree with TL on this one, the score may well be the least of our problems.

What worries me the most, is what they'll do in the editing room. I'm afraid they'll cut it to bits in order to reach the 90 min limit in order to cater to stupid people without an attention span, ans sacrifice story and charatherdevlopment in the process. I'm not too concerened about the violence, that'll probably be left mostly intact...at least I hope so.

Maybe it won't be all that bad. Maybe they know what they're doing. But that would be a first.

Studio influence has so far, always, without exception, made for an inferiour product.

Glad to see you finally came around to see how good a match Lexi would be for the Punisher, TL.

Now, if only LGF execs would realize the same thing.

It is beyond comprehension. Look at all the goodwill generated by the red band trailer, mostly of the boards I've seen are thrilled by it. Then word gets out LGF has pulled this stunt, something which causes even the most avid supporters to lose a good chunk of faith in this.

Nice going LGF. Bloody nice going.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things I don't get. Just like everyone else, why would you go with the metal soundtrack rather than the score? I could not stand the Rambo trailer unless I muted it. The music turned me off, plain and simple. The whole point of a score is to set pace, increace tension, create sympathy, ect...

Second, I can't see them kicking Lexi off just for refusing to use the metal music. Something else must be going on. The new footage go my blood pumping with excitment, now I'm worried again. Someone from LGF should step up and explain what's going on. Too many fans have been waiting for over a year now for somthing like this to happen without an explanation.

hmmmm...

Well, I've been pretty open minded about this movie for awhile. To me the canning of Lexi thing is the biggest flag raised. It means the money people hate the movie. So now they are in salvage mode.

The clip, and the sound track carry a very heavy suggestion of GRINDHOUSE MOVIE!, specially that voice at the end of the clip saying" This is only the begining."

I love metal, I love grindhouse movies. christ I grew up on them...but I still think, recent events, plus the very slow release of pics, trailers and info, all lean towards a fairly crappy film.

And I don't care who owns the rights now...3 strikes and you are out boys and girls... if it tanks, this will be the end of the punisher on the big screen.

I was an avid enemy of this film for almost a year.

I saw a cheap attempt by LGF to cash out on The Punisher franchise before losing it to Marvel.

The script was shit, the cast was relatively unknown, the director too new to appreciate.

When the Teaser hit I literally said "What the fuck are they thinking?".

I couldn't understand how these people expected to top Hensleigh's film with what looked like VERY questionable material.

Then I saw that "R" Trailer from SDCC with the nostalgic rock track...

Lexi appealed to me.

She took The Punisher in a route that I have personally been promoting on RAW for a while now (King Of The 80s thread).

She made Castle a character that Dolph could have played (Who's pictures I've been bombarding this thread with).

Perhaps, Lexi is a fellow fan of the macho cheese era.

Perhaps Lexi found a genre that fits Castle perfectly since making him serious (Jane) didn't appeal to the crowds 4 years ago.

Unfortunately I am well aware that 80s films were buried by people that "Wanted more from their movie tickets."

People that couldn't just go watch a Scorsese movie and enjoy the drama and instead went into Showdown In Little Tokyo expecting 4 stars and talked shit about it for 2 hours after seeing it.

I'm not surprised Studio execs are reacting to that footage this way.

Warzone feels like an 80s movie.

-TL

Wow, who would have thought TL would have a complete change of heart regarding this film?

Well, my stance towards this film is pretty much the same, it is bullshit that they kicked Alexander off the project while in post. That just makes me think this movie is going to be one big cock up, more so than if Alexander was still on it.

Mike if you're lookin for a serious Punisher film - you are gonna hate this.

If you like 80s action - you are gonna love this.

You're kinda young to embrace macho cheese, so I won't blame you if you fuckin hate this thing.

I haven't seen you post up love for the Kings Of The 80s in the thread, so yeah.

If Lexi had just done an interview a year ago and said "I'm making a Chuck Norris/Dolph Lundgren Punisher movie" I woulda been the film's biggest supporter and not the monster antagonist most people know me as.

-TL

Well see that's the thing with "B" movies.

The script is supposed to be either weak or complete shit.

Very few "B" movies have decent scripts and ended up "B" movies because there wasn't enough money to make them "A" movies.

Then again, there ARE terrible "B" movies.

You didn't like Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull - which was a TOTAL "B" movie.

An expensive "B" movie, but in the end a PG "B" movie.

"R" rated "B" movies are usually better.

So with Warzone, we know the script isn't good - but that makes it eligible to be a good "B" movie.

You gotta look at this the right way.

West I think was the only guy that gave us a hint about the film's approach a while back.

Its all about the body count,

-TL

You can't fool me you ALIEN MOTHERFUCKER! Where's the POD and what have you done to the real Thomas Logan!

Fred, Noeland...quick find the pod and destroy it before these bastards grow and take over the world!!!!!!

Irish you know Thomas Logan is a Norris man.

Lexi made a Norris Punisher movie?

Now that I can watch.

And the script obviously couldn't even be made into an IRON MAN either.

I'm diggin this Dolphian approach.

"This is just the beginning...Next time I'm juicing up and wearing a wife beater."

raystevenson37uw6.png

-TL

Irish you know Thomas Logan is a Norris man.

Lexi made a Norris Punisher movie?

Now that I can watch.

And the script obviously couldn't even be made into an IRON MAN either.

I'm diggin this Dolphian approach.

"This is just the beginning...Next time I'm juicing up and wearing a wife beater."

raystevenson37uw6.png

-TL

Of course you would know that about him...alien scum, you have taken over his mind... BURN THE WITCH!

This is so fucked up, I'm used to reading vitriol toward this movie from TL, not praise.

Yeah, I'm totally confused. I've decided to refrain from making any more comments in this thread on the grounds that it's becoming deleterious to my mental health.

(I am looking forward to the pretty colors, though.)

(On the DVD.)

k-skye

I view this as a B movie with some serious talent, that's just not as expensive as A listers. I've seen West act in things before, and he was good. Ray is very good on Rome(I've only seen a few eps), and Julie Benz is great on Dexter. I love the old 80's-90's B movies, like Universal Soldier, showdown in tokyo, Lionheart(my first JCVD movie). I think this movie is the proper evolution of those types of movies. I loved Seagal's movies as well. I'm rambling now, so I'll just say that the part in the Redband trailer that sold me was Frank breaking down by the grave, a very emotional face. I want to see that stuff in these movies, along with the brutal violence.

On a separate note, this a funny vid I came across one day. A seagal parody, just for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXx3_ykUpfY&NR=1

We've got threads on just about everything.

Some are shit (concocted in 2 minutes) and others were given serious thought when started.

Look through the Comics and Film forum and you'll see a great number of interesting threads,

-TL

*The 70s was a decade that made grade "A" action films. Action movies that could still get you Nominated for an Oscar. Perhaps that's the reason why guys back then didn't stand out like Arnold, Sly, Dolph, JC and Chuck. There was alotta talent to go around and the films had wonderful directors (Peckinpah, Siegel, Boorman, Hill, etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEkfnrUI5Z8...feature=related

Kinda funny how JustAGuy posted that video cause I swear I was thinkin about posting Will Sasso's Seagal clips on here since we talk about 80s action.

-Raffi

Guest AdminGuyX
Fred, Noeland...quick find the pod and destroy it before these bastards grow and take over the world!!!!!!

It's Steve Gainers fault. Gainer is the carrier.

He turned TL around by seducing him with promises of help, and by telling him the movie was ultra violent!!!

GAINER . . . burn GAINER!!!!!!

. . . do we have a witch burning at the stake emoticon? . . . .

:P

In all seriousness, I was not bothered by the heavy metal footage, or the new trailer. It's still the colors that put me off. BUT I wanted to see this before, I want to see it now. The ONLY reason I'm questioning it now is LGF's treatment of Lexi (whom I always thought was a fine choice - go ahead and read 60 pages ago and see) in that I'm not sure I want to support a studio that does these things. I may never see an LGF release again.

Given that we don't know the details of her being booted off the project. Maybe LGF was justified. I don't know, but from where I'm sitting right now, and from what I've read (grain of salt included) it seems unjust.

And, I'm not sure I agree TL, that Lexi made such a throwback to the 80's as you content, but I do see your points.

The film feels current to me stylistically, it's just over the top. Which may work against it as Shoot 'em up did.

I LOVE Tim's poster of course. Ray just jumps off the screen at you. That Tim guy sure can kick you in the teeth when he puts brush to vellum.

It's not the punisher film I was hoping for, in tone, in story, or even in the way the violence is depicted. But as I've said 3 or 4 times in this thread, I'm not holding that against it. I still want to watch it, and the new footage certainly didn't change that. I didn't find myself wanting to see it any less.

:)

Heavy metal just works for this kind of film IMHO. I've come to expect it in trailers and promo reels. I like heavy metal. I'd use it in a film if I thought it worked for the scene, or the tone of the picture.

We've got threads on just about everything.

Some are shit (concocted in 2 minutes) and others were given serious thought when started.

Look through the Comics and Film forum and you'll see a great number of interesting threads,

-TL

*The 70s was a decade that made grade "A" action films. Action movies that could still get you Nominated for an Oscar. Perhaps that's the reason why guys back then didn't stand out like Arnold, Sly, Dolph, JC and Chuck. There was alotta talent to go around and the films had wonderful directors (Peckinpah, Siegel, Boorman, Hill, etc.)

Clint Eastwood certainly stood out...

Guest AdminGuyX

Also wanted to add that the more I see of Ray as Castle, the more I like him in the role. He's bringing a certain kind of angry swagger and intense presence that I do think works pretty well. It's a different take on the character. He's not a big muscle bound guy (I agree with some of TL's earlier comments about that stuff) but he looks like an efficient killer to me in what I've seen so far.