The Punisher: WarZone

Tim Bradstreet

Is this your way of rationalizing the use of the yellow lighting in the film that so many folks have complained about?

-skye

No. I feel no need to rationalise anything. People will like and dislike many choices made by the artists in this, or any other, film.

Mine are simply opinions and observations, just like those of everybody else here. I try to back them up whenever possible, as with the interview with Ray Stevenson I posted yesterday. If you read that, I would hope your fears of Frank Castle coming off one-dimensional have been allayed.

And Steve Gainer spoke quite eloquently about the color pallette for this film. Who could do that any better?

Nomad

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This series of screencaps from Rome shows quite a range of emotions within just a few seconds of film. Warning: major spoilers here, so don't click on it if you want to watch Rome and be shocked. Even the title of the pic is a spoiler, so I've hidden it. Anyway, the Frank Castle character is in the very competent hands of Ray Stevenson.

Nomad

This series of screencaps from Rome shows quite a range of emotions within just a few seconds of film. Warning: major spoilers here, so don't click on it if you want to watch Rome and be shocked. Even the title of the pic is a spoiler, so I've hidden it. Anyway, the Frank Castle character is in the very competent hands of Ray Stevenson.

Nomad

That scene is my favorite scene in the entire,complete Rome series.

Ray is absolutely stellar there, even more so when seen within context. That scene, more than any other, confirmed to me beyond all doubt that Ray Stevenson is dream casting for Frank Castle.

So The Ray Stevenson fanclub that came over from IMDB is directing their undivided attention on The Punisher: Warzone thread...

What a surprise.

-TL

P.S. In case you guys didn't know, there are about a thousand other threads here in RAW.

The vast majority of the IMDB regs are actually PUNISHER fans first and foremost, not necessarily Ray Stevenson fans beyond preferring him for the particurlar role of The Punisher, and being exited about the direction taken with War Zone.

Give us some time, and I'm sure more will spread a bit beyond this thread.

I know I already have, half my posts are in non-Punisher threads.

So The Ray Stevenson fanclub that came over from IMDB is directing their undivided attention on The Punisher: Warzone thread...

What a surprise.

-TL

P.S. In case you guys didn't know, there are about a thousand other threads here in RAW.

Good morning, Thomas. How are you, dear boy? So nice to see you wander over here to the Punisher: War Zone thread. I'm so glad you noticed that this IS the Punisher: War Zone thread. That's what makes it appropriate to mention Ray Stevenson HERE, Thomas, and NOT, say, on the Dark Knight forum because Ray Stevenson IS the next Punisher. Or hadn't you heard?

I scanned many other topics on this board last night. I may get around to posting in some of them.

Nomad

This series of screencaps from Rome shows quite a range of emotions within just a few seconds of film.

When I heard Ray Stevenson had been cast as The Punisher, I was not familiar with his work, so I rented Rome and my husband and I watched and enjoyed it from beginning to end. Great production. Thing is, most of the characters in that great ensemble cast had two years and twentysome episodes to explore and expand and develop and emote their characters as they evolved over the time in the story. Ray did a fine job with Titus Pullo over those two years. That doesn't necessarily translate that he will do as well with Frank Castle in a shorter piece over a month and a half under different direction. Maybe. Maybe not. I'm waiting to see when it comes out on DVD.

-skye

When I heard Ray Stevenson had been cast as The Punisher, I was not familiar with his work, so I rented Rome and my husband and I watched and enjoyed it from beginning to end. Great production. Thing is, most of the characters in that great ensemble cast had two years and twentysome episodes to explore and expand and develop and emote their characters as they evolved over the time in the story. Ray did a fine job with Titus Pullo over those two years. That doesn't necessarily translate that he will do as well with Frank Castle in a shorter piece over a month and a half under diffierent direction. Maybe. Maybe not. I'm waiting to see when it comes out on DVD.

-skye

It really WAS a great series. It was supposed to go at least one more year, but the production got caught in an unfavorable euro/dollar ecxhange rate. So it was quite a bit truncated that second season, with the actors and writers madly trying to crowbar two seasons of story into only one. Shame, really.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Skye.

Nomad

And it really comes down to director too (Star Wars prequels). And you know, I thought there was some bad bits of acting all throughout Hooligans. Also, Stevenson only had a few months to prepare for this movie, so it really is up in the air.

Ray did a fine job with Titus Pullo over those two years. That doesn't necessarily translate that he will do as well with Frank Castle in a shorter piece over a month and a half under different direction. Maybe. Maybe not. I'm waiting to see when it comes out on DVD.

-skye

Wait a minute, wait a minute! I just got that last part. Are you saying that a film you're interested enough in to post about on a message board is NOT a film you're going to see in a theatre?

Nomad

Kwiat is simply not THRILLED as the rest of you are about the bullshit surrounding Warzone.

She enjoyed Hensleigh's crime drama and above all Thomas Jane's McQueenish take on Frank Castle.

I also don't think she's too happy about the fact that the Trailer suggested the script Jane turned down was not 99% re-written as some of you IMDB folk stated.

Steve Gainer got me curious on what that crazy 40 day shoot amounted to, and that's why I'll be watching Warzone.

As an Indie film maker its interesting to hear how a crew went through hell to get a film done.

I may like it or I may see why Jane passed on a couple of Million for it.

-TL

Kwiat is simply not THRILLED as the rest of you are about the bullshit surrounding Warzone.

She enjoyed Hensleigh's crime drama and above all Thomas Jane's McQueenish take on Frank Castle.

I also don't think she's too happy about the fact that the Trailer suggested the script Jane turned down was not 99% re-written as some of you IMDB folk stated.

Steve Gainer got me curious on what that crazy 40 day shoot amounted to, and that's why I'll be watching Warzone.

As an Indie film maker its interesting to hear how a crew went through hell to get a film done.

I may like it or I may see why Jane passed on a couple of Million for it.

-TL

You know, Thomas, I'll bet Kwiat is perfectly able to answer this question herself/himself?

And another thing, dear boy. It is WHOLLY POSSIBLE to ENJOY BOTH FILMS because they are different films, made by different people. The common factor is merely the source material.

No one is going to call you disloyal for liking both, I assure you. Well, no grown-up would.

Nomad

Nomad, I'm very aware Kwiat can talk for herself.

I only brought up her thoughts because they mirror mine a great deal - as you may know.

Fans of the first film aren't necessarily comfortable with Warzone.

They wanted a sequel with Thomas Jane in NYC and got this instead.

-TL

Nomad, I'm very aware Kwiat can talk for herself.

I only brought up her thoughts because they mirror mine a great deal - as you may know.

Fans of the first film aren't necessarily comfortable with Warzone.

They wanted a sequel with Thomas Jane in NYC and got this instead.

-TL

They could just make the best of an unfavourable situation...

But you and I both know that's pretty unlikely.

-TL

I don't really see that there IS any bullshit surrounding Warzone itself. The guy who starred in the last one couldn't come to terms with the studio that was making the new one. So now there is somebody else playing that part. Maybe a LOT of "somebodys" can play that part well. The nod went to Stevenson this time. Any bullshit ensues from this chain of events, and it's not bullshit on the part of the film makers, who are simply doing their best to make a good film. They deserve our appreciation for that.

It's just business. Re-casting happen all the time as you well know. I prefer to hope for the best rather than complain about what no longer is.

If it's The Punisher comic you like, then you should be wishing this one is GOOD, not for it to fail. If it's just Hensleigh and Jane you like, then I see where you're coming from, Thomas.

Nomad

Well, my problems don't stem from the casting, I've gone through plenty of bullshit with TL about my liking of the cast. It's everything else; the script, the choice of director and it pretty much seems to be the same bullshit in regards to budget and shooting that the last movie went through.

Well, my problems don't stem from the casting, I've gone through plenty of bullshit with TL about my liking of the cast. It's everything else; the script, the choice of director and it pretty much seems to be the same bullshit in regards to budget and shooting that the last movie went through.

Somebody over on IMDB was concerned about the relatively unknown directors at the helm of many comic book movies. It made me think about Ridley Scott, and that when he directed his first three films, The Duellists, Alien and Bladerunner, he was known mainly for his commercial work and a few shorts.

If Punisher: War Zone turns out to be Lexi Alexander's The Duellists, I'll be exceedingly happy.

Nomad

I've never understood wanting to read scripts to movies before they hit the screen.

Why would you want to compromise the filmgoing experience by having a preconceived idea of what you may or my not see on screen?

I guess it makes sense if you are studying the medium, but what happens then to the purity of letting the story unfold onscreen?

Where is the fun in already knowing what's going to happen?

Just curious Mike, why do you do it?

- TB

This script-reading is a double-edged sword, isn't it? It's much harder to acquire an actual shooting script prior to a film's release these days, so those of who want to read them end up reading, reacting, and making up our minds on a film based on an early draft that may go through dozens of changes. The snippet below from an interview Stevenson did gives us a clue as to that process, and maybe a reason NOT to read scripts in advance of seeing the film.

On the other hand, I was one of those little girls who always peeked at her Christmas presents early. :rolleyes:

You're about to step into another classic tough-guy role in the third attempt at a Punisher movie. How did that happen? In a roundabout way. I was actually seen by Marvel for the nemesis [in the upcoming The Incredible Hulk]. Tim Roth got the role, but when Marvel got together a landscape for The Punisher, [director] Lexi Alexander's name came up. Kevin Feige from Marvel said that she needed to see me. She wasn't a TV watcher, so Kevin told her to watch Rome. She said, "I watched one episode. That's it. From then on you were my Punisher." But the first drafts weren't up to scratch and my agent said, "We may pass on it." Lexi is going, "No, no, no, he is not going to pass on this. This isn't going to be the script." So the journey was almost predestined.

http://jeffreyimutan.multiply.com/journal/...EW_PUNISHER_-Ra y_Stevenson_Brings_the_Pain

Nomad

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, I know you asked Mike, Tim, but I'm going to tell you why I enjoy reading scripts before or after seeing a film.

I'm going to start by saying, what film scores and composers are to you Tim, screenplays and screenwriters are to me.

The first screenplay I ever read was Cameron's Aliens script, after I saw the film. The second script I read was Shane Black's original draft of Lethal Weapon (which needs to be shot as is someday IMHO) these two scripts inspired me to start screenwriting.

Now days, I read a lot of scripts before I see the films, not always, certain films I really want to see fresh, then I'll read the script afterwards.

It's an exercise in adaptation for me. I want to see how an individual, or a particular crew, stages, shoots, acts, and executes what's on the page. A script is not a film, and it's not a bible. It's a foundation from which you build a film. Many screenplays are devoid of tone, and in some cases character description. Some of the best action scenes ever filmed were written as "Man 1 runs across the rooftop shooting." Or even "Bloody death and major violence ensues" (read from dusk 'til dawn to see that style of script writing).

Other times you read a brilliant script, with vivid descriptions and it's just adapted for shit.

I read Dogma about a year before seeing the film. Back then I was getting into acting and filmmaking, and intended to audition for the film in Pittsburgh. I absolutely LOVED the script. I thought it was some nice dark subversive stuff with some shocking violence being carried out by bitter, angry angels.

Then, I saw the film and considered that Smith either didn't see the dramatic potential in his own script, or never intended to make it more than just another stoner comedy with "hijinks" instead of powerful effecting moments. I know, you don't think of that shit when you watch Dogma, but I saw that in the script. It could have been there, it was on the page.

After reading one of the 04' punisher shooting scripts before seeing the film, and having an idea of what the film would look like from seeing them shoot certain scenes (the showdown with Castle and saint in downtown Tampa), I feel it was very much a case that "the movie was on the page". The tone, the rythm of the film, the pacing of the dialogue, etc. was all there.

The first Matrix script was also like this. The script is vivid and imaginative, even the first draft. And if you haven't read "The Third Eye" from Sophia Stewart, check it out.

The Joss Whedon draft of Alien Ressurection was butchered for the film. Just gutted. (But I will forever see shades of Firefly in the Betty's crew)

And then we have the best scripts never shot. The Eric Red Alien 3 script was pretty cool. Peter Briggs Aliens VS Predator script could STILL be shot.

Anyway, yet another off topic post. :)

I haven't read the warzone script, though I have a version of it on my HD, I think it's a pretty early draft, so I haven't bothered, and all accounts say it sucks anyhow. So, I'll just try and walk into the theater with an open mind and see what we get.

Wait a minute, wait a minute! I just got that last part. Are you saying that a film you're interested enough in to post about on a message board is NOT a film you're going to see in a theatre?

That would be a correct statement. That's why I have netflix.

I post about a lot of things on the board. I'm interested in all kinds of things. Just because I'm not an expert or professional in some field doesn't mean I don't have an opinion. (Though some may not be worth reading, I'm sure.)

My opinion about PWZ right now is that I'm most interested in seeing how the lighting was done in all those night time scenes. A small screen will do me just fine.

k-skye