The Punisher: WarZone

I could be wrong, but I don't think the second Crow film under shot studio expectations quite like Warzone did (last I heard, LGF was on the verge of going broke after Warzone and The Spirit then Tyler Perry came along), but you do bring up a good point. I'm sure this will all be dictated by DVD sales.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this morning that Bruno Heller is working on a script for a theatrical movie continuation of Rome, with Ray to reprise his role of Titus Pullo. Ray is looking forward to it, and I think that would be a good thing for him.

Although Ray looked the part of Frank Castle, he never really owned the part, imo. But Titus Pullo? He had plenty of time to develop himself into that character.

Scorsese would have too much story and not enough action. Stallone would probably want to star in it or have a role in it somehow. I don't think he has any business dong a Marvel film. Doesn't suit him. He can make a good action film but that's not all the Punisher is.

I couldn't see Stallone as Frank Castle. I just figured he could really capture the inner struggle of Castle and tell the story well, which is what The Punisher needs. An even balance of action and a well told story.

I couldn't see Stallone as Frank Castle. I just figured he could really capture the inner struggle of Castle and tell the story well, which is what The Punisher needs. An even balance of action and a well told story.

I totally disagree. I think Stallone was perfect and could still do it. I think you're WAY overthinking the Punisher and Frank Castle and way undermining the talent of Stallone. I think John Rambo and Frank Castle are basically the same guy with slightly different backgrounds. He's also the right age for the role and ethnic background.

I could see Stallone pulling it off fairly easily. Like you mentioned Fred, he is the right age for the part. The only thing that would distract from the character is that Sly is a larger than life actor and that would over-shadow the film. If only Hollywood could focus on story and not marquee names none of this would be an issue.

The thing is.... Sly is Sly. Yeah Rambo and Castle are a little similar in character BUT I could never get over Sly as the character. His voice doesn't suit the character too. That would be a problem for me. Yes Sly is a good actor. Yes sly is a good director/action star but he cannot be the Punisher.

The thing is.... Sly is Sly. Yeah Rambo and Castle are a little similar in character BUT I could never get over Sly as the character. His voice doesn't suit the character too. That would be a problem for me. Yes Sly is a good actor. Yes sly is a good director/action star but he cannot be the Punisher.

His voice can change a bit. I think Sly as Judge Dredd.

His voice can change a bit. I think Sly as Judge Dredd.

He still sounded Stallone to me in Judge Dredd..... " I am the law!" was very Stallone.

I totally disagree. I think Stallone was perfect and could still do it. I think you're WAY overthinking the Punisher and Frank Castle and way undermining the talent of Stallone. I think John Rambo and Frank Castle are basically the same guy with slightly different backgrounds. He's also the right age for the role and ethnic background.

I agree with Raffi, I'm not knocking his talent and acting ability, I know he's tremendous at everything he does. Everyone that knows me knows that I'm a Stallone fan. I would just have to see him as Castle, I guess.

Yes sir. I love Sly but I don't think he's Punisher material. I don't think fans would take him seriously as well.

Guest AdminGuyX

I think Stallone is a talented guy and Copland is one of my very favorite films. I wish he'd do more like it where it's about performance and not persona.

Nighthawks is another film where I think Stallone did well as an actor. Mind you, he hadn't really developed his action movie standing yet, and he looked just like Serpico. :)

Judge Dredd was aweful, so I tend not to consider that an example of his abilities. ;) I agree with Raffi, he just sounded like Stallone to me too in JD.

I honestly can't see him as Frank Castle, but it is certainly an interesting notion you put forth Fred.

As thin as the plot for Punisher: War Zone is, if the characters given proper treatment to me actually give a shit and actually performed well it might have fared a little better. But as it is, once the novelty of the violence/action wears off (it does with a second viewing), there's nothing, the characters are caricatures and there really isn't a plot.

As thin as the plot for Punisher: War Zone is, if the characters given proper treatment to me actually give a shit and actually performed well it might have fared a little better. But as it is, once the novelty of the violence/action wears off (it does with a second viewing), there's nothing, the characters are caricatures and there really isn't a plot.

What sort of plot would you be looking for in a Punisher film Mike? I ask this question to everyone as well.

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, one of the things so many writers get wrong about The Punisher, and one of the things I hated about the new movie, is that he's waging a WAR ON CRIME, and not arbitrary mass murder on crime. There is a journey that follows Frank investigating, gathering intelligence, formulating a plan of attack, etc. I also feel it's very important that the reader/audience feels the same way Frank does about who his targets are.

I appreciated that the '04 film had the man thinking, planning, feeling, and not just shooting goons every time he turns around.

I want a film that really challenges the character, and we have to see him being as smart as he is unforgiving. I know, I'm asking for a lot when I ask for a "smart" Punisher movie, but it's what I want. A treatment on par with movies like Heat, The Kingdom, American Gangster you know, GOOD crime films. And yes, I consider The Kingdom to be a crime film. It has all the hallmarks of one, it's just set in the middle east.

Well said, Sir.

I think first time readers flip through MAX issues, see the gore and say "Hey, that's what this guy is all about", ignoring the motivation and back story. If someone's family is gunned down and that make them a vilgilante, there would be thousands of them. Frank has seen the ugly side of human nature, delt with corruption of the legal system to the point where he had to do something. If people would read the issues rather than look at them they would see that every "mission" he goes on is motivated. He's not just running around seeing how many thugs he can take out.