The Punisher: WarZone

Tim Bradstreet

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy shit, I got goosebumps. This is some EPIC shit like everyone is saying. It feels like a Punisher theme.

I'm happy with it. It's got the darkness to it. It's got the comic book feel to it. It's got the PUNISHER to it!

Just traded some notes back and forth with Michael Wandmacher, supercool guy.

It might interest you all to know that he's been a big Punisher fan for years, since he was a kid.

I told him I empathized ;) Opportunities like this are always a dream come true. I had the same feeling all those years ago when I was asked to do the covers.

A feeling that was pretty much always with me through the entire run.

So know that this score was created by a guy who's zeal for the project was built-in, and waiting to be unleashed.

Well done Michael!

- TB

Just traded some notes back and forth with Michael Wandmacher, supercool guy.

It might interest you all to know that he's been a big Punisher fan for years, since he was a kid.

I told him I empathized ;) Opportunities like this are always a dream come true. I had the same feeling all those years ago when I was asked to do the covers.

A feeling that was pretty much always with me through the entire run.

So know that this score was created by a guy who's zeal for the project was built-in, and waiting to be unleashed.

Well done Michael!

- TB

Yeah, he gave an interview not so long ago where he talked about his feelings about the character. It's one of the things that made it so exciting to know he was on board. I can't wait to hear the entire thing!

Edit: This audio interview may have been it: http://scorenotes.com/

Nomad

Digging the song. Friend request sent. ;)

New job will prevent me from seeing it on opening night, BUT will be seeing it Saturday.

The HUGE skull on the hood of my car went over very well on Black Friday. Lots of folks pointing fingers and digging it. It's the most badass Chevy Tracker on the road (which isn't saying much).

Fred

I don't know why, but it really bugs me when people, typically filmmakers and people in the film business (critics and such), refer to comics as "graphic novels" like they don't want to use the word "comics". I've seen them do it with Punisher, Watchmen, 300 and Sin City. None of those are graphic novels. I really don't know why it bugs me so much.

If it has been released in individual issues first it's a comic book, if it has been released in a collected form like A History of Violence then it's a graphic novel. Pretty much people are just embarrassed to say the word comic book.

The "Punisher: War Zone" main theme is now online, curtesy of Micheal Wandmacher Myspace page.

Thanks to 'Punisher04' on the imdb for the heads up.

http://www.myspace.com/michaelwandmacher

Now that is more like it, for the first time ever (in my opinion anyway) The Punisher looks set to have a proper theme!!!

The main titles sound pretty good, but I think he went a little too epic with it. I would loved it if it had more of a tragic sound to it, the main titles are suppose to be the characters theme if I'm not mistaken (if I am disregard what I've said). Less bombastic more tragic, but like I said it sounds good.

His website is coming together nicely:

http://www.michaelwandmacher.com/

If it has been released in individual issues first it's a comic book, if it has been released in a collected form like A History of Violence then it's a graphic novel. Pretty much people are just embarrassed to say the word comic book.

The main titles sound pretty good, but I think he went a little too epic with it. I would loved it if it had more of a tragic sound to it, the main titles are suppose to be the characters theme if I'm not mistaken (if I am disregard what I've said). Less bombastic more tragic, but like I said it sounds good.

"too epic"

haha, I know what you mean

I think the rest of the score will convey that tragic aspect more, the opening is him preparing for war, so trajedy would not really fit

"too epic"

haha, I know what you mean

I think the rest of the score will convey that tragic aspect more, the opening is him preparing for war, so trajedy would not really fit

As much as I love the theme for the 2004 film, I'd say the theme that was used for the 2005 video game is still the best theme the character has had. It has an somewhat epic quality to it, but also still very tragic. And to think it was written by the singer for Alien Ant Farm too.

Reminds me of Michael Kamen's work on the first X-men film in a big way.

I agree with you to the fullest! I was just thinking that after I heard it.

Also, I'm getting the old Punisher feel a little bit here and there. It's got the Dennis Dreith and Sonic Fuel Punisher themes feel to it I think. Well done Michael!!!

Cause that little techno thing it's got going on right? If that's what it's called?

I read something about how the score would include some "battle drum" sounds at parts, some wind instrumentals and some of wandmachers signature "techno things"

If he was a punisher fan we can expect a really good score if anything else

the main theme is not perfect, but its doing ALOT of stuff right, and if anything fits the film well

I could see pun gearing up, it was almost like I was watching the movie :)

I don't think this track - PWZ The Burden was up when I checked earlier today.

Check out Wandmacher's MySpace page for the newest track and he's posted some stuff in his MS blog too.

http://www.myspace.com/michaelwandmacher

- TB

Punisher: War Zone star Ray Stevenson is making an appearance at Burbank's newest comics and games store, Emerald Knight. Here are the details:

WEDNESDAY, DEC 3RD AT 5 PM TO 6 PM- EMERALD KNIGHT COMICS & GAMES EVENT – 4116 W. BURBANK BLVD., BURBANK, CA

Join RAY STEVENSON, star of the upcoming Lionsgate/Marvel release PUNISHER: WAR ZONE, for a special in store appearance to celebrate the Grand Opening of EMERALD KNIGHT! Arrive early to grab your place in line for an autographed poster! Numbers will be given out at 4 pm for your place in line.

PUNISHER: WAR ZONE is in theatres December 5th!

Source: http://www.superherohype.com/news/punishernews.php?id=7845

Posted by Robert Fure (robert@filmschoolrejects.com)

Maybe this could be better put in the “studios are dumb” section, but I’m getting a little bit weary of some relaunched properties. A couple of relaunches have proved to be very successful - Batman and James Bond, notably. They took them in a new direction, rewound virtually to zero and now we have two awesome franchises. But that doesn’t mean relaunching anything that failed to perform is a good idea, in fact, it’s kind of stupid.

This weekend Punisher: War Zone hits theaters and instead of being a sequel to the recent 2004 The Punisher, rewinds and retells the origin and ignores the previous film. Smart move? I don’t think it was necessary. First of all, everyone who reads this site knows we love Tom Jane here and I honestly enjoy his version of the Punisher and liked the direction they were heading and the road they were taking to get there. Sure, there were problems and setting it in Miami didn’t necessarily make any sense. But at the end of the film, it was a good origin. Now, only a few years later, we’re starting over. We all know the Punisher’s origin by now, so why retell it? Why relaunch? Why not just pick up and go? It is a bad sign, of course, that at least three people walked away from the project citing concerns about a bad script (Tom Jane, potential director John Dahl, and writer Kurt Sutter).

Continue reading:

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/...1-re-launch.php

I saw the soundtrack in WalMart today. I've got to say I'm glad that we are getting a score and not just some Nu-metal soundtrack.

The Sonic Fuel score for the Punisher game is still my favorite for the character, and I'm really digging what I'm hearing from Michael. The '04 score was good, but it just didn't seem to fit the character all of the time. It's still worth a listen if you get a chance to.

Anyone hear when the score hits the shelves?