The Punisher: WarZone

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that this will only bring more bashing towards war zone, but I just noticed that John Dahl( who was at one point going to direct war zone, but cited a bad script and lack of budget as his reason not to) has directed two eps of Dexter. I'm just watching one he directed right now. Was he one of the guys that was rumored to direct when Jane was still on board, or after he left? And does anyone here watch Dexter, or read the books?

I know that this will only bring more bashing towards war zone, but I just noticed that John Dahl( who was at one point going to direct war zone, but cited a bad script and lack of budget as his reason not to) has directed two eps of Dexter. I'm just watching one he directed right now. Was he one of the guys that was rumored to direct when Jane was still on board, or after he left? And does anyone here watch Dexter, or read the books?

I think he might have been on board when it was still a sequel, I think Jane is the only one that can answer that.

But, yeah Dahl would have been more preferable for the reboot in either situation.

Dahl did an excellent job with Joy Ride. I'm a big Dexter fan, I haven't started season 3 yet, so without spoiling anything.. can you tell me how well Dahl did on Dexter? I'm expecting the suspense was killer, he's good at that and pacing.

I'm glad Lexi was chosen though, loved Green Street Hooligans, think her plus steve gainer's cinematography is a fantastic combo.

Dahl did an excellent job with Joy Ride. I'm a big Dexter fan, I haven't started season 3 yet, so without spoiling anything.. can you tell me how well Dahl did on Dexter? I'm expecting the suspense was killer, he's good at that and pacing.

Not only that, but he also has a noir film or two on his resume. But I can't blame him for not wanting to do it, because he thought the script sucked, I guess Lionsgate weren't up letting him do a script overhaul.

I'm glad Lexi was chosen though, loved Green Street Hooligans, think her plus steve gainer's cinematography is a fantastic combo.

I never got to finish watching the episode yet, but it has something to do with a potential pedophile. I know you can watch the episodes at surfthechannel.com, but I'm not sure how the quality is.

Dahl did a great job on Dexter. It was a great episode- surprising, maddening and funny. Dahl has also directed for True Blood on HBO, which is a pretty amazing little show. I have to watch it on ON DEMAND because it comes on at the same time as Dexter.

I heard that Rob Zombie’s “War Zone,” the lead single from the soundtrack for Punisher: War Zone, is now on iTunes.

phew, finally made a RAW account

figured after reading 100+ pages I should stop procrastinating.

Well, hey there RAW!

little about me, im a big TJ (and stevenson! oh noes!) fan. Love both their work and completly respect them both as two of the most underrated actors of our time. I really loved the 04 movie, got me into the punisher so I respect the hell out of it, of course I went out and got my greasy hands on as many punisher comics as I could (kudos tim, really love the covers, hopin to see your newer non punisher stuff around!),. After I found out Jane would not return as the punisher, I was crushed, but my hope was not lost when I found out stevenson (who really nailed his role in rome, even though logan wont admit it) was going to be playing my new obsession.

While I guess you could say that im "pro warzone" (Im one of the IMDB crowd yes) that doesnt mean I dont have opinons that cater to both "sides". There are plenty of things I agree and do not agree with. I disagree with people blindly following the movie, but I also disagree with people blindly bashing the movie, I Think we should wait to judge.

That all being said, it really gets me that both bradstreet and jane are part of this community. Its always great to see such influental people (both bradstreet and jane have really changed my life, I cannot thank you enough) interacting with the community that made them what they are!

well, I look forward to being apart of this community aswell! thanks again,

Andrew B

Guest AdminGuyX

Welcome aboard Andrew. Your "pro" warzone opinion is welcomed just like all of the "anti" warzone opinions.

We don't have too long to wait now for it's release. It will be interesting to see how the thread takes off after it opens though.

:)

Check out this article I came across.

The glory of the Punisher's decline

Brutal noir, that seems to sum up the Punisher pretty good. It still bums me to no end that we aren't getting a noirish Punisher film. It's like they wanted to do MAX but seemed to have channeled Marvel Knights with this movie.

So I'm guessing the IMDb crowd kicked you out for not bashing Jane and being a fan of his? ;)

Sorry mike, though the consensus around here seems to be that the IMDB crowd is a bunch of jane bashers and ray lovers, thats very very wrong. Most, if not all of us on imdb loved janes movie but also look forward to this one aswell, I think we just grow tired of the endless trolls who post none stop about jane departure like it was the death of christ himself. I can already see sir Thomas logan fuming after reading that I am apart of imdb, im sure hes waiting to spew negativity at me ;)

Sorry to disappoint, like some on here I am active in both forums, I just felt like coming here aswell

I love this board, gives me something else to do

Check out this article I came across.

The glory of the Punisher's decline

Brutal noir, that seems to sum up the Punisher pretty good. It still bums me to no end that we aren't getting a noirish Punisher film. It's like they wanted to do MAX but seemed to have channeled Marvel Knights with this movie.

I see what you mean mike, but I think they have a blend of things rather then one distinct theme. MAX+Knights+Warzone/90's pun = warzone

Sorry mike, though the consensus around here seems to be that the IMDB crowd is a bunch of jane bashers and ray lovers, thats very very wrong. Most, if not all of us on imdb loved janes movie but also look forward to this one aswell, I think we just grow tired of the endless trolls who post none stop about jane departure like it was the death of christ himself. I can already see sir Thomas logan fuming after reading that I am apart of imdb, im sure hes waiting to spew negativity at me ;)

Sorry to disappoint, like some on here I am active in both forums, I just felt like coming here aswell

I love this board, gives me something else to do

It was just somewhat of a joke, but I've read plenty of stuff on there, and people either seem to detest Jane, Hensleigh or the 2004 film. I know Norse Sage is 2 for 3 on that.

I see what you mean mike, but I think they have a blend of things rather then one distinct theme. MAX+Knights+Warzone/90's pun = warzone

It just comes peoples personal tastes, I would love a noir film with some nice action and hint of believability to it. I think they're just overcompensating with the violence in this film, I look at the red band clip and I get nothing from it really, other than it seems very violent. I've mentioned this many times before but the Spacker Dave torture scene from the '04 film, it’s violent and sickening and you don’t see anything, and it's very effective. I don't think this movie will have a scene as unsettling as that.

It was just somewhat of a joke, but I've read plenty of stuff on there, and people either seem to detest Jane, Hensleigh or the 2004 film. I know Norse Sage is 2 for 3 on that.

It just comes peoples personal tastes, I would love a noir film with some nice action and hint of believability to it. I think they're just overcompensating with the violence in this film, I look at the red band clip and I get nothing from it really, other than it seems very violent. I've mentioned this many times before but the Spacker Dave torture scene from the '04 film, it’s violent and sickening and you don’t see anything, and it's very effective. I don't think this movie will have a scene as unsettling as that.

But is the punisher really ground that deeply in reality? I understand the MAX run is set in a realistic sense, but I don't think that making an overly noir and believable punisher might not cater correctly to the very deeply graphic nature of the MAX run at least in film. The '04 movie worked for me because it DIDNT have alot of intense action, it focused more in other areas and had very little graphic violence.

This is where the MAX theme shines, and I really beleive it has been captured in a very satisfying way in Warzone.............the same as The Punisher shined when it came out

Yeah, but there is a way to do action and have graphic violence and make believable on top of having a noir feel to it. Just because you have a guy running around with a fucked up face or the fact that it's based on a comic, doesn't mean you should just throw believability to the side.

Ray Stevenson looks like Frank Castle and people are getting their faces blown off, that's about all I've seen in this film regarding the MAX look.

Very true. Just to avoid any misunderstanting though, I detest Hensleigh and The Punisher '04 (despite having it in both my DVD and Blu-ray collection). Jane, I have but the highest respect for.

Fearembodied and myself are among the ones consistenly defending Jane and his perfomance when attacked on the imdb.

And now for something completely different and more relevant to the current discussion:

Interview with Jonathan Barton

http://www.comicus.it/view.php?section=rubriche&id=1258

English Version:

Could you tell us something about your career and how did you get to collaborating with movies productions like this one?

Well, I spent over 8 years in the United States Marine Corps infantry with combat deployments overseas. My focus in the Marines was always weapons and weapon systems and advanced urban combat, then teaching Marines what I knew.

I had friends that had gotten out of the Corps and told me about working in Hollywood with professional military advisors, and I thought that would be a very cool job to have. I came to Hollywood and started working for those advisors as well, and after some time realized that I need to reinvent how military advisors worked in Hollywood. I met Matt Sigloch while working on “J.A.G.” and he and I started Gunmetal. Over the years I’ve worked on a ton of really great projects and always try to raise the bar in military cool-ness on screen. I have a very unique and fun technique to working with actors and directors so thankfully they keep calling!

Your work on this film seems to be wide, from training to military consulting service. What was the level of this collaboration? Did you work behind the scenes or were you an active part on the set?

Both. I supervised the stage one combat training of Ray Stevenson in Los Angeles two months before the movie even went into pre productions. Lexi Alexander wanted to make the most realistic Punisher ever, so she pushed and fought to have me relocate to Canada to join her and the rest of the crew in pre-production in order to help her with the combat choreography and gun play in the film, as well as to continue Ray Stevenson’s training and train all the other actors and stunt-men in current weapon handling.

I had to supervise, and in some cases design, the types and kinds of guns and other weapons that were being used for Frank Castle. Some of what I wanted to use didn’t exist in Canada so I had to contact weapons manufactures in the States and have them build and ship what I needed. I think the final piece didn’t arrive until the day we started rolling cameras! After that I switched gears into the filming phase where every day on set I help Lexi with her vision of a true to life Marine Frank Castle. Trust me, never a dull moment working on set for moths of night shoots in one of the worst Canadian winter in years!

Was your advice requested since the beginning of the definitive version of the script or did you get onboard later to give a proper shape to the action?

Sort of. The first day I met Lexi and Ray, we started talking through the action scenes that were already in the finished script. Over the next few weeks of training, Lexi would bring up ideas and twists in the scenes and explained what she wanted to bring to life and I would give my advice on what really would or would not happen and what weapons and equipment he might use to get that job done. I told her about new weapons being developed and how Frank Castle could use them and she would listen and get excited and consequently the scenes would start to take new directions. For example, on the 3rd day of Ray’s training I was teaching combat quick draw and Ray wanted to know what the biggest and strongest handgun was. I told him it was the Smith&Wesson model 500, and then showed him a picture. Instantly he wanted it as the Punisher’s primary weapon and Lexi agreed. When I got to Montreal they handed me a new revision of the script and there was a scene written around this gun!

We can imagine that the character you worked on most was Frank Castle: his military skills required a realistic performance in the film. What was your job on The Punisher? How did you try to portray him, according to your scopes?

Basically, my job was Military Advisor and Combat trainer. After my first week I realized that I had to get my fingers into the other departments on the show and take more of an assertive role in making sure the Punisher character fit Lexi’s vision. This meant stepping on some toes from time to time and taking control of certain elements in other departments, but Lexi had told me what she wanted and by damn, it was gonna get done!

After the first week I was designing costumes, designing weapons, inventing props, training not only Ray but his stunt double and all the other actors and stuntmen, and writing and rehearsing weapon choreography! I felt like I was back in the Corps!

Did you offer your services even to characterize the villains? If yes, how did you differentiate them by the Punisher or police forces, talking about tactics?

For this particular project none of the main bad guys had military or Law enforcement back-story so I just worked on weapons safety and helped them work different types of guns into their characters. For each actor on their first day of weapons training, I had them go to a table filled with rifles, handguns, grenade launchers, and shotguns, and told them to pick one. Every actor picked different sets of weapons that complemented their back story. We then worked on how each of them, in character, would try to shoot the Punisher if he were coming after them. So basically we invented different shooting styles!

What kind of weapons have been used? Conventional or even unconventional, as sometimes seen in the comic book?

We used weapons based on need and back-story and nothing made up. All of the Punisher’s weapons currently exist and are being used in modern combat! The Punisher originated out of Vietnam, so his primary weapon in the film is an M-4 which he would feel the most comfortable with. To that I mounted a mini grenade launcher using thermo baric grenades for point detonations. I followed that up with the most powerful revolver on the planet, a Knight’s Armament/Smith&Wesson custom Model 500 .50 cal, in a breakaway leg holster as his back-up!

We created two fully automatic Beretta 92f handguns for close quarter combat.

In the opening of the film he uses ultra reliable H&K custom MP5’s in fully automatic that he carries in the small of his back, and for speed draws a H&K USP compact .45.

I also had a custom mini 13” Bolo machete combat knife created that he carries on a leg holster for hand to hand.

The result was modern weapons used in the modern time, but in full Punisher style!

Has ever occurred that you had to note that some element originally planned was unrealistic or not believable? From your point of view, what is the realism level of this movie?

This is by far the most realist Punisher ever made. Every scene, every plot point, every scenario was discussed and brought to real world scenarios. Having said that, we were still making a comic book adaptation, and Lexi was able to have freedom to make some of the action larger than life because that’s how the comic was written. As a Marine I am extremely excited about how well this movie portrays this character. I think audiences will really connect to this Punisher like never before!

Did you enjoy working on such an extreme fighter as Castle? How does this kind of character seem to a serviceman?

The Punisher will always be a symbol to the Marine Corps infantryman, as well as other branches of service, of the ultimate warrior. A guy that takes the fight to the enemy’s doorstep, then kicks his door in. As a Marine being on the front lines you have to feel no fear and have the courage to fight even when you are scared out of your mind in order to bring yourself and your buddies home. I think the Punisher embodies the true fighting spirit of what all combat troops feel when the enter a room full of people that want to do them harm. It’s important that symbols like Punisher exist for us in the military and he will always have a home with the US Marines! “Semper fi” Frank!

Sounds good to me!