The Punisher: WarZone

Tim Bradstreet

Trudell, how is my statement built on a foundation of sand???

Are you saying being the lead of Boogie Nights was a bad way to start a career?

Mark Wahlberg began with Boogie Nights at an age 10 years younger than Ray Stevenson.

Stevenson is beginning with Warzone and he's in his mid 40s.

What does that say?

Mark went on to make GREAT films, and I seriously doubt that woulda been able to happen had he began with a crapper like Warzone.

When an actor [like Mickey Rourke for instance] begins with great work, its easy to overlook bad work that came after.

-TL

You clearly don't like the guy, and I'm pretty sure everyone here knows that by now, so why do you keep continuously attacking him? It only damages your reputation.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You clearly don't like the guy, and I'm pretty sure everyone here knows that by now, so why do you keep continuously attacking him? It only damages your reputation.

See, what you're doing through that post is attacking me in a respectable way.

I suggest you just say what's on your mind instead of beating around the bush.

OR you could CONTRIBUTE to the argument at hand ;)

-TL

See, what you're doing through that post is attacking me in a respectable way.

I suggest you just say what's on your mind instead of beating around the bush.

OR you could CONTRIBUTE to the argument at hand ;)

-TL

I don't mean it as an attack, just an observation. That's actually all I had on my mind.

Now, exactly which argument should I contribute to? There are usually multiple ones going on here :P . That's why it's so entertaining on this board though.

Hi Thomas!

Trudell, how is my statement built on a foundation of sand???

I mean Boogie Nights was a technically a lead but it was also a big ensemble movie, and his next two were a large step down.

Are you saying being the lead of Boogie Nights was a bad way to start a career?

Read my original post, where I acknowledged Boogie Nights.

Yes, he did have Boogie Nights, with a great ensemble and a great director. But I wouldn't be chanting praises too loud for The Big Hit, or The Corrupter.

Followed by that string of hits, Planet Of the Apes, Rock Star, and The Truth About Charlie?

Boogie Nights was a great film but Marky Mark was not alone, and he had the luxury of Paul Anderson. His acting was earnest and he was perfect for the role. Luck of the draw.

Mark Wahlberg began with Boogie Nights at an age 10 years younger than Ray Stevenson.

Stevenson is beginning with Warzone and he's in his mid 40s.

What does that say?

It says nothing whatsoever.

Marky Mark was put on the fast track to his career because his brother saved his life by giving him one. Some girls just love a white rapping bad boy with a sculpted bod. David Geffen> Funky Bunch> Calvin Klein Ads> more fighting> fall from grace> 1993> TV movie> moniker drop> 1994> Then his film career begins.

Ray Stevenson didn't even begin acting until he was 27. He worked his way up from acting school to theater to TV and finally to films. No fast track. His acting career began in obscurity whereas Wahlberg's began after everyone knew his face and his name. Stevenson had it double difficult. He started in the UK. He has risen from obscurity to headlining a high profile american action movie. I want to say, what does that say? But that would be smug and I don't mean to be. If it was any other movie than P2 I'd almost bet that you would be behind him. You have to respect how far he's come and how hard he's worked. I'm just learning all of this since I don't know much about him except a few episodes of Rome. That impresses me though.

Mark went on to make GREAT films, and I seriously doubt that woulda been able to happen had he began with a crapper like Warzone.

-TL

Maybe.. but it really proves nothing. Lots of great stars began their careers with stinkers. Humphrey Bogart did almost 30 films, a lot of them terrible, before he became a star at 42 in The Maltese Falcon. Charles Bronson toiled in TV and supporting roles for 17 years before Sergio Leone. Willis has Blind Date and Sunset. There are hundreds of examples.

I see the point you're trying to make Thomas, starting off with a hit movie can open a lot of doors but I don't think it's ever been a requirement to having a successful career.

Trudell

Very insightful Trudell. I like that post. I don't think anyone broke down Stevenson the way you did to get a better understanding of him. It's a good post for everybody to learn from. ;)

-Raffi

Bogart's my hero.

let's not forget Harrison Ford, who won fame with STAR WARS in his late 30's - wasn't it? it really does seem like its pure luck , doesn't it?

i mean if Mutant Chronicles had been a truly great film like star wars - then we'd all be seeing some pretty great shit starring me right now, wouldn't we? but because that and other films i've starred in are low budget and not particularly successful - that's what we've got right now...

i know my hearts in the right place - and i've got some films that people want to see under my belt and coming up - but getting to that place where everyone is singing our universal praises and we're still doing the weird, so called 'esoteric' 'personal' action flicks i wanna do - that's all Box Office. and i just haven't found that film yet. or it hasn't found me. yet...

ideas?

TJ

"Mark Wahlberg didn't begin his career as a leading man with a garbage movie like Warzone."

- TL

W#ahlberg began his acting career in a film call FEAR - which i was actually second runner up for. got picked out of a line up of walk in actors off the street and read for the director a couple times. didn't even have an agent at the time.

In other words, the director wanted to hire me - and the studio said they'd make more $$ with Marky Mark.

and they were right.

Wahlberg began his acting career in a film call FEAR - which i was second runner up for.

FEAR was fuckin great.

Loved it.

i know my hearts in the right place - and i've got some films that people want to see under my belt and coming up - but getting to that place where everyone is singing our universal praises and we're still doing the weird, so called 'esoteric' 'personal' action flicks i wanna do - that's all Box Office. and i just haven't found that film yet. or it hasn't found me. yet...

ideas?

TJ

What was your prob with G.I. JOE?

How come you didn't do it?

-TL

W#ahlberg began his acting career in a film call FEAR - which i was second runner up for.

In other words, the director wanted to hire me - and the studio said they'd make more $$ with Marky Mark.

and they were right.

and it did not slow me down.

i came up with all the assholes who are now either rich or dead.

every one else in between never had a chance.

so hello you. between the rich and the dead. this won't take much.

move. over.

The first bold, I did not know ... that would have been a completely different movie, in my opinion - fascinating thought. And the second bold, right on. Keep on trucking - "it's a marathon, not a sprint."

Guest AdminGuyX
move. over.

Well, I just about pissed myself after reading that last bit.

Fuck's sake, that's brilliant.

i just haven't found that film yet. or it hasn't found me. yet...

ideas?

I'd love to see you work with either of the Scott brothers Tom.

I think you're perfect for John Carter of Mars, mind you, I have no idea what's happening with that project now days.

If they remake Blade Runner, or do the sequel (the writers of Eagle Eye?) brother you're the ONLY actor who could do Rick Deckard justice in this day and age.

Somebody needs to make another great racing flick like "LeMans" or "Winning" (I vote for Frank Darabont) and they'd be idiots not to cast you as the lead.

Just keep following your gut. I have a feeling one of the films you're working on right now is going to hit big.

And I think Hung will be a springboard too.

Njc--------

I think Jane's gotta ease up on the sci-fi films.

He's too fuckin good to be surrounded by CGI and monsters.

Harrison Ford did it at first, but not after people knew who Harrison Ford was.

The best films Jane did were the films were he was as REAL as he could be.

The Last Time I Commited Suicide.

Thursday.

Stander.

The Punisher.

That was REAL.

Give us some more, T "Castle" Jane.

-TL

let's not forget Harrison Ford, who won fame with STAR WARS in his late 30's - wasn't it?

TJ

35 years old.... just a little younger than you at the time Jane. He also had small roles in American Graffiti in '73 and then the Conversation in '74. Nothing heavy enough for people to be interested in him....

Ford lucked out with Star Wars because he was doing some carpentry work for George Lucas at the time while he was holding auditions for Star Wars and Lucas needed a man to feed some lines as Han Solo to other actors. Since Lucas knew Ford as an actor, he asked him for a hand. Lucas didn't want Ford for Star Wars because he had already worked with him on American Graffiti even though it was a small role. When it came down to it, nobody could do Han Solo as good as Harrison. Then BAM, a star is born at the age of 35 and now Ford makes 25 million per film plus a fucking percentage of the gross..... I wonder how much he's gonna clear for Indy 4 at the end of this year. The movies already made 800 mill world wide.

-Raffi

Not like it used to be. Just like the 80's action flicks, big guys, explosions (i.e. The Marine), not like it used to be. Sci Fi flicks have the 80s action flicks beat today though I think. Just by a hair. I miss the old days. FUCK

In Maroon -

I think you're perfect for John Carter of Mars, mind you, I have no idea what's happening with that project now days.

That would be so perfect it will probably never happen ;)

Jane as John Carter? Get the fuck out. Perfect, too perfect.

If they remake Blade Runner, or do the sequel (the writers of Eagle Eye?) brother you're the ONLY actor who could do Rick Deckard justice in this day and age.

High praise indeed for Noeland to throw that out there. He's gotta be one of the top 5 fans world wide, all-time of Blade Runner.

You don't just say something like that to blow smoke. Naturally I agree.

Somebody needs to make another great racing flick like "LeMans" or "Winning" (I vote for Frank Darabont) and they'd be idiots not to cast you as the lead.

Noeland, you may have just hit on something. Darabont and Jane love only one thing as much as they love women, and that's FAST CARS.

The right fast car project, Darabont, and Jane? That is a fucking great idea.

And while they are working on that I say the rest of us work on an international action film based on a thread hijacking ;)

- TB

Njc--------

Last I heard Pixar is planning on it being there first live action/CG movie.

Guest AdminGuyX
Noeland, you may have just hit on something. Darabont and Jane love only one thing as much as they love women, and that's FAST CARS.

The idea hit me after you said they went to a car show in Carmel. I have to imagine that at some point they discussed doing a racing movie together.

I'd love it.

And while they are working on that I say the rest of us work on an international action film based on a thread hijacking

I bet we can get Bruce Willis to star in it if Tom Jane turns us down.

;)

The idea hit me after you said they went to a car show in Carmel. I have to imagine that at some point they discussed doing a racing movie together.

Darabont should have been the one to remake Death Race with Jane as Frankenstein.

Archived