The Punisher: WarZone

Funny...I think most everywhere else is being rather objective about the whole thing...

Fred

Edited

Indeed. I have "Ray Stevenson" and "Punisher War Zone" on Google Alerts and the VAST majority of the stuff I'm getting from both commercial websites and individual bloggers is positive at best and neutral, wait-and-see at WORST. The hate just doesn't seem to exist anywhere "out there" like it does here.

But I'm beginning to perceive the "hate" here differently. I think it may have a certain entertainment value for some and serve as a way just to blow off a little steam for others. That's cool. Better than doing it out in the streets and risk hurting somebody.

Nomad

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amidst all the negativity and hatred i've got a game for us...Think of a scene we've already seen from the movie and try to connect it with a similar scene from the comics:

-The First one is an obvious one...The Dinner Table massacre in WarZone is very much inspired by the opening massacre in 'In The Begninning.'

-The fight between LBJ and Frank, in that scene Frank has LBJ by the leg throwing him against the wall...Reminds me of how he dealt with The Mongolian in 'Mother Russia'.

What you guys got?

I have yet to get mother russia. I have quite a few max volumes to collect, but the slavers is my favorite so far, with long cold dark coming in a close second. They're both great at showing that Frank still has humanity within himself. As for the LBJ thing, it reminds me somewhat of the one with Pitsy. That was an great battle.

Gotta agree with that...Standing up there on the dinner table Frank is basically saying "if you've got a gun feel free to pull it out and shoot me in my fully exposed head, while I just stand here for a minute waiting for you guys to try it." It's inspired by the massacre in the comics but other than Don Cesare being there and it apparently being a dinner in his honor, the whole scene really is nothing like the one in the comics.

This is interesting. If I lived in N. Carolina I'd be going just for the historical interest

http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A266926

Escapism screens original Punisher

Marvel Comics adaptations are all over the multiplex these days, but the first film adaptation of one of its characters, 1989's The Punisher, didn't even make it into theaters. Plagued by distributor troubles, the Dolph Lundgren-starrer wound up being one of the first studio films dumped straight to DVD. Filmmakers tried again with the 2004 version with Thomas Jane and John Travolta; they'll try yet again later this year with Punisher: War Zone, starring Ray Stevenson.

Now, American audiences will have a chance to see the original film on the big screen for the first time at the Escapism Film Festival when director Mark Goldblatt premieres his personal cut, containing many instances of action and violence trimmed from the original. "It did play all over Europe and Asia, but unfortunately I didn't get to go to Europe and Asia," says Goldblatt, who'll be in attendance at the festival.

Goldblatt points out that the film stayed at the top of the video rentals for "weeks and weeks" despite almost no promotion. "I think some people were disappointed that we didn't retain the Punisher logo on his shirt," he says. "Our creative decision at the time to get away from the spandex superhero costumes at the time. But other people liked it because we really pushed the envelope on mayhem—it was a pretty violent film back in those days."

Goldblatt is best known in Hollywood as an editor for such action films as True Lies, Armageddon, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Pearl Harbor and Starship Troopers. His only directorial efforts were The Punisher and Dead Heat, a bizarre 1988 cops vs. zombies comedy that features, among other things, Joe Piscopo and a reanimated butcher shop. Goldblatt fondly recalls working with horror icon Vincent Price on Heat, which also screens at Escapism. "[Price] was just the most talented, down-to-earth person," Goldblatt recalls. "He used to come in wearing blue jeans and red sneakers. Just a wonderful, wonderful man."

Escapism might be the only chance fans have to see Goldblatt's print of The Punisher. "I'm not even sure who owns it any more," Goldblatt says. "A French video company was interested in putting out a restored DVD of it, but they couldn't figure out who had the rights! But I'm happy to show it here." —Zack Smith

Nomad

This is interesting. If I lived in N. Carolina I'd be going just for the historical interest

http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A266926

Escapism screens original Punisher

Marvel Comics adaptations are all over the multiplex these days, but the first film adaptation of one of its characters, 1989's The Punisher, didn't even make it into theaters. Plagued by distributor troubles, the Dolph Lundgren-starrer wound up being one of the first studio films dumped straight to DVD. Filmmakers tried again with the 2004 version with Thomas Jane and John Travolta; they'll try yet again later this year with Punisher: War Zone, starring Ray Stevenson.

Now, American audiences will have a chance to see the original film on the big screen for the first time at the Escapism Film Festival when director Mark Goldblatt premieres his personal cut, containing many instances of action and violence trimmed from the original. "It did play all over Europe and Asia, but unfortunately I didn't get to go to Europe and Asia," says Goldblatt, who'll be in attendance at the festival.

Goldblatt points out that the film stayed at the top of the video rentals for "weeks and weeks" despite almost no promotion. "I think some people were disappointed that we didn't retain the Punisher logo on his shirt," he says. "Our creative decision at the time to get away from the spandex superhero costumes at the time. But other people liked it because we really pushed the envelope on mayhem—it was a pretty violent film back in those days."

Goldblatt is best known in Hollywood as an editor for such action films as True Lies, Armageddon, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Pearl Harbor and Starship Troopers. His only directorial efforts were The Punisher and Dead Heat, a bizarre 1988 cops vs. zombies comedy that features, among other things, Joe Piscopo and a reanimated butcher shop. Goldblatt fondly recalls working with horror icon Vincent Price on Heat, which also screens at Escapism. "[Price] was just the most talented, down-to-earth person," Goldblatt recalls. "He used to come in wearing blue jeans and red sneakers. Just a wonderful, wonderful man."

Escapism might be the only chance fans have to see Goldblatt's print of The Punisher. "I'm not even sure who owns it any more," Goldblatt says. "A French video company was interested in putting out a restored DVD of it, but they couldn't figure out who had the rights! But I'm happy to show it here." —Zack Smith

Nomad

Yeah, I posted that a few pages back.

Who can pass up a double bill of The Punisher and Dead Heat.... commies that's who.

Not to mention they got some other good fucking movies playing. Jack Brooks, Monster Slayer, They Live, Sukiyaki Western Django and Let the Right One In.

Here is an interesting perspective on the new clip:

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/?p=4756

I wouldn't say, Nomad, that there is no hate "out there".

;)

I didn't say there was NO hate "out there," noeland, merely that it didn't seem to exist "out there" in the way does here. I'm sure you can find evidence of hate if you want to look for it. You apparently did but WHEN you did, it wasn't even an example of an intelligent comment. "Lexi Alexander is a Secret Foreigner?" Oh, right. THAT was clever and insightful.

I'm surprised at you, noeland, since you guys seem to be making some attempt to make this board a bit more civil, that you would spend any time looking for the hate at all.

Please yourself. But when you delete THIS post, I suggest you delete the one it responsed to as well.

Nomad

I think the reason your post got deleted the last time was because TL and me went off topic. They've been putting the hammer down keeping things on topic in this thread. I think that was just collateral damage.

I didn't say there was NO hate "out there," noeland, merely that it didn't seem to exist "out there" in the way does here. I'm sure you can find evidence of hate if you want to look for it. You apparently did but WHEN you did, it wasn't even an example of an intelligent comment. "Lexi Alexander is a Secret Foreigner?" Oh, right. THAT was clever and insightful.

I'm surprised at you, noeland, since you guys seem to be making some attempt to make this board a bit more civil, that you would spend any time looking for the hate at all.

Please yourself. But when you delete THIS post, I suggest you delete the one it responsed to as well.

Nomad

I don't think Noeland was trying to push your buttons Nomad.

The truth is Warzone is regarded as a terrible movie in MANY places, not just here.

This board doesn't cater to Warzone supporters OR haters.

Its a line right in the middle.

-TL

Guest AdminGuyX

Nomad, that was supposed to be a joke. Levity. haha. The blog, filmdrunk, is intended to be sarcastic comedy, and not taken seriously. Hence the whole ;) thing.

I read the site daily, I happen to think it's pretty darn comical. I'm sorry that you thought I was looking for hate, or that you think I have a problem with you. I wasn't, and I don't.

I've removed several of my own posts from this thread (and other threads) because they caused the thread to veer off into possible friction, or were misunderstood, or were just off topic.

It is sincerely not personal Nomad. Hope I've cleared the air.

Mike's right, we've been hitting it harder than usual for a couple reasons. Topic, content, bandwidth, and really just trying to not let this board turn into a free-for-all.

I figure as long as our intentions are good, the road we drive into hell should at least be a smooth ride.

Ya know?

:)

Nomad, that was supposed to be a joke. Levity. haha. The blog, filmdrunk, is intended to be sarcastic comedy, and not taken seriously. Hence the whole ;) thing.

I read the site daily, I happen to think it's pretty darn comical. I'm sorry that you thought I was looking for hate, or that you think I have a problem with you. I wasn't, and I don't.

I've removed several of my own posts from this thread (and other threads) because they caused the thread to veer off into possible friction, or were misunderstood, or were just off topic.

It is sincerely not personal Nomad. Hope I've cleared the air.

Mike's right, we've been hitting it harder than usual for a couple reasons. Topic, content, bandwidth, and really just trying to not let this board turn into a free-for-all.

I figure as long as our intentions are good, the road we drive into hell should at least be a smooth ride.

Ya know?

:)

Ah. Explanation accepted. *re-adjusts twisted knickers* Sorry for the mis-understanding.

Nomad

I have mixed feelings about "Punisher: War Zone." The Comicon footage looked pretty decent, but the scene that's been posted on the official website is...well...I'll just say I'm really hoping that scene isn't finished, because it sure didn't seem that way. The best vision of the character of Frank Castle on film, to me, will always be the Hensleigh/Jane version of "The Punisher." I'm not just saying that for brownie points. For me, I have to connect with a character in a film in order to "believe" in him or her. I felt sympathy while watching it, and I was rooting the entire time for Frank Castle's brand of justice to be dealt. With "War Zone" It seems way too over the top, in my opinion.

Nomad

Nomad -

Actually this board is pretty civil all the way around except for this particular thread. But it's true, some of the behavior in this thread has necessitated us having to crack down in order to maintain . . . . order. Mike V has it right in his reply. I honestly do not believe Noeland had an agenda if one of your posts ended up being scrapped during a melee.

I also do not believe that his intention was to offend you with the link he added. Seems more like he was only offering a satirical counter to your earlier point. . . .

Gah! OK, now as I look down I see you two have cleared things up. OK, cool. Everything's cool.

You can find the return address for this post in Mootsville ;)

- TB

I have mixed feelings about "Punisher: War Zone." The Comicon footage looked pretty decent, but the scene that's been posted on the official website is...well...I'll just say I'm really hoping that scene isn't finished, because it sure didn't seem that way. The best vision of the character of Frank Castle on film, to me, will always be the Hensleigh/Jane version of "The Punisher." I'm not just saying that for brownie points. For me, I have to connect with a character in a film in order to "believe" in him or her. I felt sympathy while watching it, and I was rooting the entire time for Frank Castle's brand of justice to be dealt. With "War Zone" It seems way too over the top, in my opinion.

Well as many have stated in this thread, best not to judge too harshly based on a smidgeon of clip.

It may well end up being over the top, but as we say, who knows for sure?

Proof will be in the pudding. If you are on the fence, wait a week or two and see what others who have seen the film think.

If they are individuals who have opinions you respect then you will feel safe in whatever decision you end up making.

I'm sure we'll see it on DVD by May so you wouldn't have too long to find out for sure in either event.

Glad you dug the 2004 film!

- TB

I'm really hoping we'll get to see an official sequel to the 2004 "Punisher" film. The more I read about Thomas Jane's direction of the character, the more sad I feel for this new reboot. I agree, I'm sure I'll see "War Zone" be it in theaters or on DVD, and I won't judge until then. I am on the fence, as I'm sure many people are. I guess I'm biased, being a fan of the 04 version, but I'm not a fan of judging movies before I see them. I usually watch, and then make my judgement, as I'm sure many others do.

I'm really hoping we'll get to see an official sequel to the 2004 "Punisher" film. The more I read about Thomas Jane's direction of the character, the more sad I feel for this new reboot. I agree, I'm sure I'll see "War Zone" be it in theaters or on DVD, and I won't judge until then. I am on the fence, as I'm sure many people are. I guess I'm biased, being a fan of the 04 version, but I'm not a fan of judging movies before I see them. I usually watch, and then make my judgement, as I'm sure many others do.

That's highly, highly doubtful.

Even if Marvel gets the rights back, I'm sure they would stick with Stevenson as he's probably cheaper. I'm guessing there were at least 10 different drafts for War Zone: Punisher when it was a sequel to the 2004 film, there might be more, I only know of 7 writers that have worked on it (not counting the couple of pages Stuart Beattie probably wrote). Simply put, the studio's vision for the film and Castle did not match what Tom thought it should be.