The Punisher: WarZone

Tim Bradstreet

What are the names of these films that you're filming and starring in?

That's for me to know right now and for you to find out this Winter.

One's a Neo Western in the fashion of No Country For Old Men and the other's a crime drama to the likes of Cimino's Year Of The Dragon.

I wrote both of them.

I'll keep everyone here updated.

*Fred plays a corrupt Sheriff in the western.

-TL

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's for me to know right now and for you to find out this Winter.

One's a Neo Western in the fashion of No Country For Old Men and the other's a crime drama to the likes of Cimino's Year Of The Dragon.

I wrote both of them.

I'll keep everyone here updated.

*Fred plays a corrupt Sheriff in the western.

-TL

Well, color me curious.

Guest FADoss
I agree completely.

That's why my reasoning for Stevenson saying yes to a garbage script was the paycheck and exposure that came with it.

ASSUMING that it IS a bad script... Not saying that it's GREAT, but isn't there a CHANCE that the film will be "mediocre". And you can build a career on that (Ben Affleck).

Also, don't assume that Ray will do a bad job in the film or imply that he sucks as an actor OR that he is morally corrupt for doing the film.

He may have seen something salvageable...much like I think Jane did in the first film.

I can't imagine that the 04 film was spot on what Jane would have done if given the opportunity to have control.

Actually, what I picture is he found it salvageable, did it and fully expected to have more control on the sequel. When that didn't happen and he realized it would be more of the same or worse, he walked.

I mean, you heard the man...no Hill...no Jane.

What about Heinsleigh? :)

No Heinsleigh and Jane is okay...but no Hill?

And if you don't expect any one else to respond to what you right...send it PM!

Fred

Guest FADoss
Hensleigh walked on his own.

We NEED to find out why though,

-TL

But he didn't take Jane with him...which implies, at least to me, that Jane wasn't entirely committed to Hensleigh's take on the Punisher.

Again, no Hill = Ultimatum...

No Hensleigh = Jane is still in...

Fred

Guest FADoss

Researching Hensleigh on imdb...and this is probably old news, but:

"In 1998, Jonathan was set to make his directorial debut with the Marvel Comics hero The Hulk, but plans for that project failed. His wife Gale Anne Hurd was the producer."

Hmmmm....interesting.

Fred

See what Norton did with The Incredible Hulk was EXACTLY what Jane was trying to do with Punisher II.

Unfortunately Jane was dealing with CHEAP-ASS LGF and Valhalla (Gale Anne Hurd's company) and Norton was dealing with Universal and Valhalla.

Norton got his way because unlike LGF, Universal is smart.

Warzone is a STUPID decision.

-TL

Guest FADoss
Jane said he didn't walk cause of Hill.

If LGF had gone for a serious take and PAYED for a good writer and director, Jane woulda stayed.

-TL

So we ingore that part of the Fangoria interview then...where he says he walked because of Hill?

Fred

See what Norton did with The Incredible Hulk was EXACTLY what Jane was trying to do with Punisher II.

Unfortunately Jane was dealing with CHEAP-ASS LGF and Valhalla (Gale Anne Hurd's company) and Norton was dealing with Universal and Valhalla.

Norton got his way because unlike LGF, Universal is smart.

Warzone is a STUPID decision.

-TL

The Punisher would be one of thee least franchisable characters out there. Of course the big studios would go for a house hold recognisable character like Hulk Spidey etc$$$...Big green guy versus random fella with skull T and gun. No brainer.

Researching Hensleigh on imdb...and this is probably old news, but:

"In 1998, Jonathan was set to make his directorial debut with the Marvel Comics hero The Hulk, but plans for that project failed. His wife Gale Anne Hurd was the producer."

Hmmmm....interesting.

Fred

How so?

Well this thread is damn entertaining. Question is, what will we do with ourselves once the damn film comes and goes?

The problem is how things get out of hand and blown around and facts get distorted to support whatever argument someone is trying to make.

I didn't leave over Walter Hill. I left because I saw in Castle a true tragic figure in fiction, and I loved the guy and I wanted HIS STORY to be told in a realistic manner that is fitting the tale. Like Taxi Driver. Like Dog Day Afternoon. Like fuckin SERPICO, with some Death Wish mixed in and yeah it's an action film and yeah it's a comic book but I think the way to keep comic book films alive is to treat them with the respect that the stories deserve. And look out! A guy named Nolan does just that a year later and look what happens.

I went to LGF with a BAG of dvd's. Thirty or Forty. Big meeting with everyone from MARVEL and LGF there. And I laid them on the table. All gritty urban crime dramas and action films. You all know the ones. And I said this is what we want to see with P2. I even outlined a simple story where we had a female FBI agent working on bringing down a mob family for three years, doing wiretaps and collecting evidence, and on the big night of the bust, FC walks in and kills every one of them in three minutes. Job done. And this chick, she's like who the FUCK is this asshole? Three years down the drain in three minutes by some joker with a skull on his chest? No fucking way. And she goes to her boss and says I WANT FRANK CASTLE. He's an affront to the System. This is a girl who had to do everything by the book just to get where she is, loves her job and believes in it, but is kinda feeling that 'glass ceiling' that women sometimes hit in a man's world. She's had to have all the T's crossed and I's dotted to make it, and FC just pisses her off to no end. She goes after him, and she CATCHES him. Locks him up. Job done. But at the same time, the MOB goes after her, and kidnaps her kid (this was Jigsaw and his men.) They are gonna kill the kid. No time for 'by the book.' So she goes to castle in lock up. She looks at him and he looks at her. And she leaves the key on the floor and walks out. And castle destroys every last one of them.

that was the story in a nutshell. I wasn't hung up on that story in particular, just something with some emotion and balls and speaks to the fact that love him or hate him Frank Castle does what he does so we don't have to. He's a necessary evil, because he's the only guy in town who's willing to live with the heinous fucking shit that sometimes has got to be done. Everyone nodded their heads and we talked for an hour about bringing back the Great Urban Crime Film. Problem was, no one could write it. We went through so many drafts. I even worked with Ennis on an outline. But LGF could not get away from the Comic Book Film. It was very light and the characters were just superficial. Sutter did professional work. Great guy, trying to give the studio what they wanted. Like him a lot. But when it became obvious that LGF wasn't interested in developing that KIND of story, and frankly weren't interested in spending the cash on a good script, I said guys, I just can't do this to the character I love. Can't live with it. Can't make the 'would have been great if' movie of frank one more time. This is me speaking from the heart, and not trying to be PC here. So I walked away and I sent an open letter to Quint at ain't it cool outlining my feelings on the thing. I'm sure you can look it up. THEN LGF got another director. THEN the 'reboot' stuff. Makes sense to reboot after the actor walks, right?

Bradstreet is right - when I say 'piece of crap' that's just me talking. Hey, might be a masterpiece from someone else's POV. I guess if I wanted to be polite I could say 'not my cup 'o tea.' But then that wouldn't be me talking, would it.

I think Deborah Unger woulda done a good job playing the Fed.

She's also a HUGE Sam Peckipah fan.

-TL

Guest FADoss
He was drunk.

-TL

And? Usually the things people say when drunk, in my experience, are closer to what they actually feel. :)

Remind me to do ALL my interviews drunk so I can't be responsible for what I say in them. :)

In fact, I think I need to drink more while I post on here.

Fred

Guest FADoss
And? Usually the things people say when drunk, in my experience, are closer to what they actually feel. :)

Remind me to do ALL my interviews drunk so I can't be responsible for what I say in them. :)

In fact, I think I need to drink more while I post on here.

Fred

Actually you're all right. This is hyperbole and absurd. Thank God I was drunk when I wrote it. :D

Fred

Dude, during one of my insane 2007 drinking sprees, I told my bitch ex-girlfriend I wanted to be the one to get her pregnant.

When I woke up in my car the morning after sweating like a pig, the first thing I did was call her and retract that statement.

-TL

I'm cursed with remembering while drinking, it's weird I'm shitfaced but I'm aware of what I'm saying and my surroundings, so I don't do or say stupid shit.

Actually you're all right. This is hyperbole and absurd. Thank God I was drunk when I wrote it. :D

Fred

No, I was talking about what Jane said about Walter Hill when drunk. A lot of times when people are drunk they are prone to moments of hyperbole.

Guest FADoss
I'm cursed with remembering while drinking, it's weird I'm shitfaced but I'm aware of what I'm saying and my surroundings, so I don't do or say stupid shit.

Most of that "drinking makes me do stuff I would never do sober" crap is unique to America. There have been studies done on it. Some of them involving near beer and college kids. They say all sorts of stupid shit and do crazy stuff and never had a bit of alcohol.

We're also one of the few countries that battles "alcoholism" as an epidemic. :)

Fred

Guest FADoss
I threw STRAIGHT UP red rum at that same ex-girlfriend's face one night.

Hence the reason why she's my ex.

-TL

Funny, I can't picture you doing rash things in anger. :blink:

I do the same shit though...I'm a bit of an ass when angered in the real world...not just on RAW. :D

Fred

I threw STRAIGHT UP red rum at that same ex-girlfriend's face one night.

Hence the reason why she's my ex.

-TL

I've never vomited from drinking. And I started when I was 15-16.

I blacked out on my 20th birthday, but that was weird because I was really more in and out than a full on black out. Like I remember how I got from point A to point B, it just moments in between that I don't recall. That and my friend bartering some whiskey for a bacon cheeseburger at a Wendy's.