The Punisher: WarZone

Tim Bradstreet

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AdminGuyX
You think this Dude is actually a mule?

I bet the moment he sees Dominic West act like a jackass in makeup he's gonna eat it up like vanilla custard baby food.

Only if the mule is REALLY good with a keyboard.

Hey, some folks are going to love it like crazy. I'M NOT. But whatever floats your driftwood, you know?

This whole thing about Dominic West not taking it at all seriously reminds me of another little known film, where NO ONE could take it seriously. Fortunatley we didn't have the internet then so condemnation was muted, and we didnt really hear what the actors thought at the time. But in retrospect ALL the actors involved thought it was a damn joke.

Star Wars turned out pretty OK though! lol

Only if the mule is REALLY good with a keyboard.

Hey, some folks are going to love it like crazy. I'M NOT. But whatever floats your driftwood, you know?

I'll only know if I like it when it comes out and I see it. Until them I'm going to be optimistic. Contrary to what Logan thinks, I'm not a stark-raving idiot that likes anything that says "The Punisher" on it. I hated the '89 movie with a passion.

Guest FADoss
He played it as a comedy. How much difference does there need to be?

Honestly, I think this could be a way for him to try and cover his own ass down the road. The fact that it's not supposed to be a comedy makes it worse than if it was a comedy.

hardy har fucking har. You know?

Fred, think as an actor. If your director, producers, leads, and fans want a serious film, and you play it as a comedy, are you doing your job properly?

Makes me wonder if Lexi gave him that piece of direction.

Think of it as a DIRECTOR. If he was ALLOWED to play it as a comedy, who's fault is that? :) The fact would be that she didn't correct it, but does he SAY he played it as comedy...I didn't get that from the interview.

Fred

Guest FADoss
Unless Jane had the right people, he wouldn't have done it.

Hence the reason Warzone is Janeless.

Jane doesn't do garbage movies.

-TL

Agreed, though someone tried to post a list of his films that were "bad". I loved all the films on that list. Jane is damn good at picking scripts.

Fred

Dude, if you didn't get it from the interview (beats me how you didn't) you MUST have gotten it from the Trailers.

He's a walking joke and he's actually going along with it.

-TL

Jigsaw never was a very serious character. In many of the stories he was in he was played off as a joke, every now and then there was one where he was a serious threat.

The only think I'm not liking about what they're doing with Jigsaw (based on the script I read) is the fact that they seem to be making him less of a physical threat and more of a cerebral one.

You act like the trailer had him dancing around and blowing kisses or some crazy shit. He had like... two lines in all of the trailers combined and all the physical acting we see of him doing is breaking necks, stabbing a man in the throat, shooting guns and putting on a hat.

Jigsaw never was a very serious character. In many of the stories he was in he was played off as a joke, every now and then there was one where he was a serious threat.

WHAT FUCKIN WEED ARE YOU ON???

So if the comic says the character SUCKS, he has to suck in the film???

Dude, PLEASE reconsider these HORRIBLE points of view you call opinions.

A movie isn't a $3 comic book that costs even less than that to make.

Its a multi-million dollar investment that requires the collaboration of hundreds of people, sometimes thousands.

Stop suggesting comics are fuckin bibles for a film.

THEY ARE NOT.

-TL

Guest AdminGuyX

YES, Fred. he says he played it as a comedy. And I think you know what kind of Punisher film I'd make if given the chance.

I didn't make a comparison to Star Wars, I compared opinions of the actors.

Even that way, this is not a fair comparison. It's just another general point that doesn't really work here. I unerstand what you're trying to say, but I feel like your reaching.

I don't think Ray played his role as comedy.

I don't think it's a joke to him.

But hell, maybe it should have been if Lexi and Dominic were making Monty Python's Punisher.

I've been trying to be optomistic too FE. But in the face of what LGF shunned from Tom Jane, I mean THAT IDEA was so much stronger than what we're getting. I just shake my head.

It's a god damn greek tragedy is what it is.

But the best adaptations of comics (in my opinion anyway) are 300 and Sin City. They couldn't have stuck to the look, feel and writing of the comics any more. Sometimes its nice to see a film give more than a passing nod to the source material.

Watchman will be one of the biggest tests of direct adaptation as Singer seems to be going frame for frame again.

Its a multi-million dollar investment that requires the collaboration of hundreds of people, sometimes thousands.

THEY ARE NOT.

-TL

I never once said that he sucks in the comics, nor did I say that he should suck in the film. You're putting words into my mouth. What I do think is that from what I'm seeing he's relatively faithful to how he is in the comics.

This is a film based on a comic series with over 30 years of history, the comics are somewhat of a Bible to it. It's not like the source material should be tossed in a fire or avoided like the plague.

Guest FADoss

THEY ARE NOT.

-TL

When making COMIC BOOK films they should at least be CONSULTED! TL, why do you hate comic books?

I think there were several Jigsaw stories where he is portrayed as a serious threat...kind of a humerous psychopath like The Joker. I don't think ANYONE here wanted to see a Batman film reminiscent of the old TV show or the comics from the "Comics Code" days. I don't think anyone wants to see all the stupid Punisher comics out there...and dumb ass Wolverine moments turned into films. I read Captain America 400 yesterday and was APPAULED that the writer EVER got a job in comics. It was TRASH.

BUT, there are plenty of GOOD Jigsaw stories. There are plenty of good Daredevil stories. There are plenty of good Punisher in the comic verse stories that would make GREAT films and still stay in the vein great film.

You seem to be arguing that filmmakers should toss out as much of the pre-Ennis Punisher as possible. It makes guys like me almost HATE Ennis despite his amazing work, because he hooked you on such a DIFFERENT take on Frank.

Quick BASHING comics you ass!

Fred

I've been trying to be optomistic too FE. But in the face of what LGF shunned from Tom Jane, I mean THAT IDEA was so much stronger than what we're getting. I just shake my head.

I have to agree. Even though I've got a smile on for this movie I loved Jane's film. I'm sure if we had got a sequel the way Jane envisioned it it would have been a great Punisher movie and we would have had a hell of a time watching it. But that's done and the idea will forever just be an idea, I'm not going to dwell on ifs and buts.

Guest FADoss
YES, Fred. he says he played it as a comedy. And I think you know what kind of Punisher film I'd make if given the chance.

Even that way, this is not a fair comparison. It's just another general point that doesn't really work here. I unerstand what you're trying to say, but I feel like your reaching.

I don't think Ray played his role as comedy.

I don't think it's a joke to him.

But hell, maybe it should have been if Lexi and Dominic were making Monty Python's Punisher.

I can't watch the video here. Can someone please post the quote from West where he says, I played Jigsaw as a comedic role? Adding comedy to a role (Ledger's magic trick...and 9/10ths of Nicholson's Joker) is different from playing it as a comedy...

Fred

I can't watch the video here. Can someone please post the quote from West where he says, I played Jigsaw as a comedic role? Adding comedy to a role (Ledger's magic trick...and 9/10ths of Nicholson's Joker) is different from playing it as a comedy...

Fred

Here.

"I was trying to play a comedy the whole time. I'm hoping it will be funny as well a sufficiently scary and bloody."

Word for word.