The Punisher: WarZone

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I own the individual issues, I have read it. Batman Begins does have scenes in it that reminiscent of what goes on in the book. But I don't see what that has to do with Punisher: War Zone or Garth Ennis.

It was mostly based on The Punisher: Year One with elements of Ennis' Welcome Back, Frank and things from various other comics like War Zone and War Journal.

Yeah, and he shot all of those things as a Peckinpah movie which made it real and not cartoony (Warzone).

-TL

i will only have to assume that Ennis is the one behind the Punisher's total facelift in the 04 movie, hence i didnt like. WarZone has him back in NY and back to basics which i like (note i didnt say yay for spandex)

btw i have nothing against anybody who dug the direction it was trying to go, im just babbling here trying to see your view...

The reason Ennis' Punisher worked so well, is because people were tired of Frank being a spandex wearing idiot who couldn't cross a street without Micro telling him how to walk.

Ennis made Castle real and people responded well to that.

Hensleigh's approach to Castle cinematically was the same.

Lexi seems to have gone the other way.

-TL

The reason Ennis' Punisher worked so well, is because people were tired of Frank being a spandex wearing idiot who couldn't cross a street without Micro telling him how to walk.

Ennis made Castle real and people responded well to that.

Hensleigh's approach to Castle cinematically was the same.

Well... Frank's not exactly in a modern-day Western in Ennis' stories...

Lexi seems to have gone the other way.

-TL

Dude, Frank is REAL in MAX.

Tell me otherwise.

The shit that happens in MAX could happen.

The shit that happened in Hensleigh's film could definitely happen.

THERE IS NO WAY a man can do the shit Stevenson is doing in Warzone.

Punching someone's face to the point of collapsing their entire skull is outrageous.

-TL

To be fair Arsh wasn't saying he wasn't real (well he is fictional character so he's not real). But that the comic version of Castle isn't really done in hte vein of the typical man with no name spaghetti western character.

Jane's Castle wasn't an exact replica of Eastwood in the Leone westerns.

He had a little bit of everything - Bronson, Gary Cooper, Spencer Tracy, Buster Keaton, Eastwood, McQueen and above all he was very original in his creative decisions on Castle.

Nothing at all like Dolph and not some guy desperately trying to look like Tom O'Brien (Stevenson).

-TL

It was mostly based on The Punisher: Year One with elements of Ennis' Welcome Back, Frank and things from various other comics like War Zone and War Journal.

Other than Frank's neighbors and the Russian I can't think of one other thing from "Welcome Back, Frank". Other than the "torture" scene I can't remember one other thing from "War Zone". I can't think of anything at all from "War Journal". Only the last couple of minutes had parts of "Year One".

What did you want Hensleigh to do?

Use actual panels drawn by Steve Dillon as storyboards in his Million Dollar movie?

The shit don't work like that in film.

You adapt.

You don't photocopy.

-TL

Movies like Sin City, 300 and even the Watchmen seem to be doing it. What I was pointing out is "mostly based on" is very different from "takes bits and pieces from". Batman Begins and The Dark Knight weren't heavily based on anything, but they did take bits and pieces from various Batman stories. The '04 Punisher film was the same way.

What Hensleigh did was very simple.

He was asked to write and direct a comic book movie.

This was 2002, when X-MEN and SPIDER MAN brought cred to comic book movies.

The problem was - he was making an ADULT comic book movie.

The concensus was that an "R" rated film was for adults.

Hensleigh underestimated the age of the fanbase.

Most Punisher fans ARE NOT adults.

So he says:

"I'm gonna do a comic book movie as if Sam Peckinpah was doing it back in '73. That'll keep the film from looking like a cartoon or just some cheesy action movie (the last one)."

He took as much as he could from the comics without getting ridiculous (Lexi).

He changed what he had to in order to make it real.

He cut cost wherever he had to (Tampa).

Warzone represents literally everything Hensleigh was trying to avoid.

The cartoonyness. The cheesyness. The absurdity of it all.

-TL

Warzone represents literally everything Hensleigh was trying to avoid.

I don't agree with that, and even if it was true, so what? As much as I liked the '04 movie Hensleigh did not dream up the character, his word doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Hensleigh was Castle's chance at being serious.

At being more than a cartoon.

Look at Nolan's Joker ---> 2nd highest grossing movie of all time and Ledger is being groomed for the Oscar.

A fuckin comic book character might get a dead man an Oscar.

Who woulda thought?

Hensleigh and Jane had plans for Castle.

Major plans.

Lexi just said "Make him look like Bradstreet's covers."

There was no real plan to go beyond the generic comic book genre.

-TL

Hensleigh was Castle's chance at being serious.

At being more than a cartoon.

Look at Nolan's Joker ---> 2nd highest grossing movie of all time and Ledger is being groomed for the Oscar.

A fuckin comic book character might get a dead man an Oscar.

Who woulda thought?

Hensleigh and Jane had plans for Castle.

Major plans.

Lexi just said "Make him look like Bradstreet's covers."

There was no real plan to go beyond the generic comic book genre.

-TL

That's hardly all Lexi thought. What bugs me is that you're judging before you've seen the movie. You're biased from the get go. The majority of your opinions are based on hearsay posted on sites like AICN when we had a person directly involved in the film come here and put the majority of the rumors to rest.