The Lycan and Hairball

James O'Brian

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ad in the back of Bad Planet #2 doesn't give a day for Hairball, just Fall.

Kind of weird for Hairball though. If I can remember right, first it was printed in Dark Horse Presents (can't remember what issues, my copies are in a large stack that needs filed). Then it was collected by IDW I believe, then the story was rewritten to be in Guns, Drugs, and Monsters. Now it will be in colour from Raw and Image with the regular series being printed by Dark Horse.

Don't see Spider-Man pulling that off any time soon ;)

Did you ever get to read it before? It's good, don't get me wrong, but the interior artwork looks nothing like the cover. I think it was Casey Jones who did it before his art became more cartoon styled. Like I said though, it's still damn good and will be cool to see in colour.

Don't get me wrong, I love the art in it. Before I read the Dark Horse version, all I saw was the IDW cover, so I had a completely different idea about what it would look like inside.

Usually when I see a cover that was drawn by the interior artist, I kind of expect them to resemble each other. It does help to point out that the IDW cover was drawn years after the original release though.

This is the only official word on Hairball I have right now. It could change, and if it does we'll let folks know to be sure.

Seems we may have jumped the gun on that. It looks as if Dark Horse has a say in it so it's very likely we will not be publishing it here at RAW.

Which sucks because I scanned all the bloody pages, worked on recoloring the cover for our ads, and did the preliminary work on a new cover design (which I was REALLY looking forward to drawing). Steve was sure he owned all the rights which is why we started to dust it off and get ready to repackage it (in COLOR!). Not sure about the details, all I know is that I got a call from Steve late last month to inform me that DH was putting the brakes on us. I totally hear what you are saying about the merry-go-round of publishing between DH and IDW.

We were hoping we could complicate that further by reprinting this very first Cal story. Alas.

As for Lycan, we're getting geared up for that. Finding the right artist or art team is a arduous journey. We're very picky ;)

We're still tossing the scripts back and forth and making notes to the official writer, Todd Farmer. This one is a few months from getting into production but it's first on our slate for coming out next year. We're VERY excited about it. It's a period thing which takes place in the early 1800's in a little fiefdom off the Ivory Coast of Africa. It's got Werewolves (obviously), a crew of big game hunters, the baddest of the bad from all over the world who have joined up with a fella named "Coffin" to hunt the world's most elusive big game. They are warriors, hunters, thieves (one or two of them), some are Kings in their lands, some are warrior/poets, some are heroes, and some are just adventurers looking for the next rush. There is a King, a Kingdom in peril, and our boys get caught in the middle. It's throwback stuff, it's Robert E. Howard. It will be the stuff of legends.

If you want to break it down into it's simplest terms, it's 13th Warrior meets the baddest ass Werewolf movie that no one has made yet.

Join us won't you?

- TB

Oh, hell yeah. Sign me up for The Lycan. That sounds pretty damn cool. Lookin' foward to that, DEFINITELY.

As for Hairball. What sucks about that is I don't even have my old black & white copy anymore. It was lost in a house fire and haven't been able to find one since.

So, you can imagine the joy that came when I see it was going to be brought back out in color and by the baddest company, RAW. I was fit to be tied. But, I guess we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the word on the street, Tim.

JO

Well damn diggity darn! Well, if it isn't published by Raw, hopefully we'll eventually see it in colour sometime. James, I really wish I had another copy to help you out. I got my Dark Horse Present issues with it from New Dimension Comics in their dollar section. Unfortunately I heard they did away with most of that. If I go there soon or find it else where, I'll hit you up with a message or e-mail.

Wow, I didn't know Todd was writing the Lycan! I was already going to get it, now I want to get it right when it comes out!

Well damn diggity darn! Well, if it isn't published by Raw, hopefully we'll eventually see it in colour sometime. James, I really wish I had another copy to help you out. I got my Dark Horse Present issues with it from New Dimension Comics in their dollar section. Unfortunately I heard they did away with most of that. If I go there soon or find it else where, I'll hit you up with a message or e-mail.

Wow, I didn't know Todd was writing the Lycan! I was already going to get it, now I want to get it right when it comes out!

Thanks, man. I'd really appreciate it. If not no big deal but thanks.

JO

Yeah, and if we can drag Farmer away from his hard work for a few moments we can get his two cents on the subject.

Yep, you're gonna love this thing.

- tb

Lycan was a pretty amazing ride. Tom called and gave me the basic idea. My first reaction wasn't one of excitement. I love werewolves but really original takes are rare. Tom said he had an outline and I told him I'd be more than happy to check it out. It blew me away. I recall being stupidly busy at the time but I called Tom back and told him I wanted in. Working from his outline I started writing issue #1. I shot him the pages and he gave me his notes. This was the routine through the first four issues. It wasn't exactly a fast process but that was my fault. I was working on an issue as I finished my day job gigs. Then when I was finally caught up I blasted out issues #5 and #6 and sent them to Tom...and that's where we are. Tom owes me notes. At least that's where we are from a story standpoint. And I've yet to hear "The Bradstreet's" response to the pages. Oh, Timmy, lover and good friend? Have you finished reading all six issues? :)

I'm too busy plugging it!

And rubbing salve in the wounds Tom has put there with the whip he's been cracking on me to keep on schedule with the Planet.

And the website.

And the forum.

And all the SD prep.

And Dark Country.

And the endless late night phone calls ;)

Then there is my night job, cover gigs.

Wife, baby, MySpace, my website.

And The Steelers are on TV tomorrow.

Seriously though, I did start it and now Tom has me reading the latest draft of Dark Country.

Hey waitaminute, you were just F'ing with me!

It's gonna get my full attention very soon Brother T.

Nice to see you back Kimosabe.

- tb

Well you should read it when time allows. Lots's of action. Some great characters and I have even reached a place where I'm starting to dazzle myself when it comes to style, method and page turning reveals. Oh and then there's the boner factor. Of course, I've never slept with four women at the same time but I've certainly run the gambit of sexual deviant in my day and that tends seep into my writing. So there are at least four set pieces sure to provoke bonage. You've seen pig farm. I do like some naked with my story.

Well you should read it when time allows. Lots's of action. Some great characters and I have even reached a place where I'm starting to dazzle myself when it comes to style, method and page turning reveals. Oh and then there's the boner factor. Of course, I've never slept with four women at the same time but I've certainly run the gambit of sexual deviant in my day and that tends seep into my writing. So there are at least four set pieces sure to provoke bonage. You've seen pig farm. I do like some naked with my story.

Well, that's good. Naked tends to go good with story and vice versa. Keep up the good work, man.

-JO

• 1 month later...

In podcast II, Tim seemed a little concerned about using The Lycan as the title, thinking it referred too much to Underworld. At least that's the impression I got with my ears. I just wanted to throw in that I think The Lycan is fine because, even with Underworld out there, it's not commonly used for werewolves. I was talking about Underworld to someone a while ago and sort of giving them a synopsis when they interrupted me to ask what a lycan was. If you want to be really blatant, call it The Werewolves.

• 2 months later...
In podcast II, Tim seemed a little concerned about using The Lycan as the title, thinking it referred too much to Underworld. At least that's the impression I got with my ears. I just wanted to throw in that I think The Lycan is fine because, even with Underworld out there, it's not commonly used for werewolves. I was talking about Underworld to someone a while ago and sort of giving them a synopsis when they interrupted me to ask what a lycan was. If you want to be really blatant, call it The Werewolves.

I agree. I love The Lycan as the title. I knew what it was before Underworld and that shouldn't stop RAW from using it. ;)

JO

Guest AdminGuyX

I think it's a valid concern, because when you're doing a creative visual project like a film or a comic book, you don't want the audience seeing a different film, or book when they are looking at your film or book. I've changed characters, situations, entire story lines, to avoid referencing something else visually or conceptually.

That said, I don't think Underworld is going to stay on the geek radar for much longer anyway. It's two pretty forgettable movies that just don't seem to have the staying power of say Hellboy, or The Mummy. Flicks which people keep on liking, keep on talking about, etc.

You'll always see the occasional Selena costumes at conventions though I suppose.

Not that I mind :)