THE SPIRIT

Guest AdminGuyX

Guest FADoss

V got A LOT of things wrong. I mean some great stuff that really was lost in the translation. I thought it was okay, but NOT a very great translation of the comic. Say what you will about "Sin City" but it was near flawless in bringing the story to the screen. As was "300".

Fred

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved 300, but Sin City was all it for me. Finally a comic film that gave fans what they wanted. I'm not sure how Frank's take on The Spirt is going to be, but I like it so far, and I know Frank had nothing but respect for Eisner, so I can't see him betaying the book. This can't come out fast enough.

I'm not saying that he co-directed. He did serve as executive producer and he and Zack spent some serious time discussing the movie. He definitely let Zack have creative control of the film, BUT felt very comfortable, if not envious, in doing so. Read the following interview with Frank for more:

http://www.ugo.com/ugo/html/article/?id=16424

So it's a bit more than Reckoning. I mean, he didn't abandon his baby like ALAN MOORE, that bastard...

Fred

Fred, this article only confirms what I'm saying.

Frank didn't have anything to do with directing 300 except for having created a wonderful comic story from which it was based.

Obviously Frank's work inspired the production GREATLY.

But c'mon buddy, inspiring, having skull sessions with the director, and executive producing is NOT directing.

Are we splitting hairs? Are we arguing semantics?

No ;)

I said "I don't believe Miller had much to do with the direction of 300 at all."

And that statement seems to be pretty solidly on the mark.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Frank.

I'm just countering that we haven't necessarily seen him helm a great comic movie yet.

Sin City is a co-direction with Robert Rodriguez touches ALL over it.

It's an amalgam of them both.

He didn't direct 300, plain fact.

After those two films he's certainly ready.

I hope he kicks the HELL out of The Spirit.

If he nails it I'll be the first one to give him total and complete props.

- TB

Did I say he directed "300"?

That is what I thought you were alluding to.

If not then forgive my rant.

Stress is making me want to pick fights with Fred apparently ;)

Let's fergit the whole thing and together hope and pray that Frank Miller makes a good film.

It's pretty cool to see a writer/artist from the comic book field get a shot at pretty big film and a great character.

It's interesting that Frank chose to take his big shot with another legendary creator's most memorable and enduring character as opposed to one of his own.

I'm very interested to see what Miller has cooked up.

If he succeeds then he opens the door a bit more for others.

Anyone hear any news about Geoff Darrow directing Shaolin Cowboy?

I heard a rumor about this but there is nothing posted on IMDB.

Just a rumor?

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX
Did I say he directed "300"?

Kind of, yeah . . .

I reckon he had a lot more to do with "300" than Snyder gave him credit for. I mean, Rodriguez took a LOT of shit for giving him equal billing as director...

I must have misread your meaning too my good man. I certainly took this to mean you had some knowledge about Miller co-directing with Snyder that I did not, and if I had the wrong impression of the behind the scenes rigamaroll I just wanted to be sure.

I didn't follow the film that closely beyond some pre-release behind the scenes blog videos about the fighting and training, and seeing the film itself of course. :)

I have not watched it on DVD, so I thought maybe the info was there.

It's interesting that Frank chose to take his big shot with another legendary creator's most memorable and enduring character as opposed to one of his own.

Yeah, I felt the same way when I heard he was doing it, and I even wondered if RR would be co-directing this with him, if he'd be borrowing the crew from Sin City, or the same stages, or what.

When I heard he was flying solo in a different city with his own crew, I must admit I thought that was very cool.

Anyone hear any news about Geoff Darrow directing Shaolin Cowboy?

Can't say I have. Man, I can't imagine it. Isn't Darrow the single most painfully shy and soft spoken person on planet earth???

I've seen the trailer for the spirit just two nights ago and I like it, but not going crazy over it.

As for Hard Boiled, wholey crap I'm giving a big thank you to whoever posted that pic cause I recalled a classmate in hs showed me the book but it slipped out of my mind and it's been bugging me since. I'm gonna get the book soon.

Guest FADoss

And a giant "Your Welcome" back. I bought it when it first came back and I practically lived at the local comic shop. However, had a small tragedy with a portion of my collection and lost all 3 books. Will be rebuying soon. :( Haven't had or read them in years...

Fred

Lionsgate moves directorial debut to Dec. 25th

Christmas gets Frank Miller's 'Spirit'

• 2 months later...

Not sure about the trailer, I had mixed feelings. There was cool stuff in it, but tossed together horribly. Still, Frank is pretty uptight when it comes to film adaptations, so I still feel this will be a pretty cool film.

Ok... well, I'll be honest... I don't know much about The Spirit, the original comic series...

I just checked out the trailer at Y! Movies... and... it's really weird.

The trailer makes me want to watch the movie, but it's so... weird.

Was The Spirit this weird?

• 1 month later...

Here's the first line of figures for The Spirit...

From left to right:

The Spirit (Gabriel Macht), Sand Saref (Eva Mendes), Plaster of Paris (Paz Vega), The Octopus (Samuel L. Jackson), and Pathos The Thug (Louis Lombardi).

spirit1bgx8.jpgspirit2bgj0.jpgspirit3bsc1.jpgspirit5bpl4.jpgspirit4bus4.jpg

-TL

That Sand Saref statue looks like Jennifer Tilly instead of Eva Mendes. Or is it just me?

-Raffi

Archived