So I've been lookin forward to seeing this film since I saw it announced on Entertainment Weekly magazine a year ago.

Hugh Jackman (who also produces) and Ewan McGregor star as two businessmen - one is good and the other is bad. Jackman is the bad.

That's all it takes to sell this movie. That oughtta be the tagline, but well the poster says alot...

deceptionposterlm7.jpg

Jackman's made a name for himself playing Marvel's antihero and some other heroic characters that always seem to stray to a darker place. Robert Angier (The Prestige) lived to seek revenge on his ultimate rival. Thomas Creo (The Fountain) swore to save his true love from an inevitable death regardless of the consequences. Peter Lyman (Scoop) lived two lives - one as a respectful English gentleman and the other as a serial killer. Stanley Jobson (Swordfish) made computer hacking a profitable enterprise, but did it for the thrill more than anything.

deception3cff3.jpg/ deception6cza4.jpg

Deception is really Hugh's chance to play a full blown villain. A man with an agenda deeply buried in his acts of evil. A true villain's motivation is usually overshadowed by his actions. In this case Jackman feeds on his prey through deception...

deception4byl6.jpgdeception5bpz8.jpg

deception2yc0.jpgdeception7btc7.jpg

Michelle Williams (above), Maggie Q and Natasha Henstridge co-star.

This is my kinda movie and I'm stoked about watching it on Friday. Pacino's 88 Minutes wasn't bad last weekend, but I got my money on this being a whole lot better.

deception8qt3.jpg

DECEPTION OPENS THIS FRIDAY, APRIL 25TH

-TL

88 Minutes was alright but it had alot of things I had seen before. But I'll watch anything with Pacino.

I've heard of this film and I am very interested in seeing how the finished product looks. I like Jackman, Ewan and Michelle Williams, Maggie Q and Natasha Henstridge so I'm pretty much sold on this film. I like how Jackman is getting into more complex and outlandish roles. The guy is getting to be on my top 20 list.

JO

Hugh's going to the top man, I have no doubt about that.

Very few actors today display the sense of ambition that Hugh Jackman prominently displays. He does it in a very subtle way though, yet he embraces every opportunity to face the crowd.

His use of starpower reminds me of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Clint Eastwood. A very strong sense of control over his projects and an overall interest in appealing to a vast audience and not an elite.

There's also that very public show of honor for his roots in Australian cinema.

Hugh Jackman is a conqueror and he picked a great time to pursue that course of action.

-TL

Ewan is fantastic, I love that fucker.

I wish he'd set aside his gruff with Danny Boyle so they could re-team on the sequel to Trainspotting.

And Jackman isn't just a world class actor, he seems very much to be a world class fella at large.

He certainly has the tools, tenacity, and talent to go as far as he wants to in this crazy business.

- tb

Ewan is fantastic, I love that fucker.

I wish he'd set aside his gruff with Danny Boyle so they could re-team on the sequel to Trainspotting.

And Jackman isn't just a world class actor, he seems very much to be a world class fella at large.

He certainly has the tools, tenacity, and talent to go as far as he wants to in this crazy business.

- tb

Yes, Ewan is a good fuckin' actor. I want my sequel to Trainspotting, too. I loved him in the film Stay also, some strong acting from him and Ryan Gosling in that film.

Jackman is just, fuck it, he's golden right now.

JO

Jackman is an incredible actor and whatever he does, I will definitely watch. I heard Ewan McGregor is in talks to star with Hanks in Angels & Demons, the follow-up to the Da Vinci Code. I hope it happens.

GOD DAMN!!! THIS MOVIE WAS GOOD.

Woke up today and went for a swim. Once I got outta the shower I headed for the theatre to catch the two o'clock screening.

Ironically the Trailer for Liev Schreiber's DEFIANCE was attached to this film.

Now the review. NO SPOILERS.

The overall film is a whole new playground for both of these actors. Jackman is a ruthless double edge sword and McGregor is your typical Wall Street ghost, who's death would go unnoticed even by himself.

The plot is great, getting more and more complex from beginning to end. The cinematography is dark and sheds a new light on NYC and it's more industrial identity. The score is a long list of subtle tracks ranging from quiet pianos to lounge music. The women are amazing. Natasha Henstridge is ridiculously sexy in this film and once you've seen her, it'll be hard to get her outta your head and return to the film.

Great ending and a really unexpected turn of events. Not one bit predictable.

I recommend to everyone that wants to escape reality for an exciting 2 hours, go see DECEPTION.

-TL

*By the way, the two women that sat next to me in the theatre just so happened to be from a little country called Australia. The irony.

GOD DAMN!!! THIS MOVIE WAS GOOD.

Woke up today and went for a swim. Once I got outta the shower I headed for the theatre to catch the two o'clock screening.

Ironically the Trailer for Liev Schreiber's DEFIANCE was attached to this film.

Now the review. NO SPOILERS.

The overall film is a whole new playground for both of these actors. Jackman is a ruthless double edge sword and McGregor is your typical Wall Street ghost, who's death would go unnoticed even by himself.

The plot is great, getting more and more complex from beginning to end. The cinematography is dark and sheds a new light on NYC and it's more industrial identity. The score is a long list of subtle tracks ranging from quiet pianos to lounge music. The women are amazing. Natasha Henstridge is ridiculously sexy in this film and once you've seen her, it'll be hard to get her outta your head and return to the film.

Great ending and a really unexpected turn of events. Not one bit predictable.

I recommend to everyone that wants to escape reality for an exciting 2 hours, go see DECEPTION.

-TL

*By the way, the two women that sat next to me in the theatre just so happened to be from a little country called Australia. The irony.

Sounds damn good my man, we'll have to discuss films on our radio talk show. ;)

JO

I did a magazine scan of her photos a while ago; beautiful woman and a talented actress.

HUGH JACKMAN BOX OFFICE HISTORY

1. X-Men: The Last Stand (MAY 26 2006) $234.36

2. X2: X-Men United (MAY 2 2003) $214.95

3. X-MEN (JULY 14 2000) $157.30

4. Van Helsing (MAY 7 2004) $120.03

5. SWORDFISH (JUNE 8 2001) $69.77

6. The Prestige (OCTOBER 20 2006) $53.08

7. Kate & Leopold (DECEMBER 25 2001) $47.10

8. Someone Like You (MARCH 30 2001) $27.34

9. SCOOP (JULY 28 2006) $10.52

10. The Fountain (NOVEMBER 22 2006) $10.14

Where will DECEPTION place?

I predict no more than $50 million on the count of the R rating and the competition coming in next week (IRON MAN). X-Men Origins: Wolverine on the other hand I can see topping its precursor and last year's Spider Man 3 with $350 million. Its got the May 1 2009 release date and really no other film to fuck with it.

-TL

I hope Deception can hold its place; I think it will set records overseas and of course in distribution. (I think) it premieres today in the UK and Ireland. Premiered yesterday in Russia (huge applause over there from what I have read).

We'll have to do a 2 hour segment where all we do is talk about Natasha Henstridge. I'm tellin you man, its been 6 hours and I'm still hypnotized.

natashahsq4.jpg

-TL

Amen brother! We shall talk about all the women who have captured our hearts and all the great guys who give scene stealing performances.

JO

Amen brother! We shall talk about all the women who have captured our hearts and all the great guys who give scene stealing performances.

JO

And we women will talk about the men and what they do to our hearts and the women...well maybe.

:P

Yes, yes I agree. You shall be a special guest star talking about the men that stole your hearts. Women also. Whatever your bag happens to be.

JO

Kewlness! So when are you and TL going to begin this? Or are we?

The show is an idea that will remain in the forefront for now LOL

Now back to DECEPTION...

The film critics are beating the shit outta this film.

I read 20 reviews today that did nothing more than bash our favorite Scot Ewan McGregor as well as the "silly" plot and lack of "heat".

I disagree with all of this. McGregor is fantastic in the film playing a character far from his persona. His American accent is very impressive even challenging Hugh's at times in a more subtle less Eastwood way, and his look in the film makes it hard for one to believe this is an actor in his late 30s. The character of Johnathan McQuarrie is supposed to be in his late 20s. I agree that McGregor should eventually re-team with Danny Boyle for another film - not necessarily a sequel to something else but just something fresh and shot in Glasgow.

The film's plot has a hint of 1950's film noir and Hitchcockian intrigue - which Jackman plays off wonderfully. People aren't who they seem from beginning to end, but not in an uncomfortable way like in David Mamet's HEIST. There's also a quietness to this film that I think films in general lack today. Very reminiscent of Sean Penn's The Pledge. You find yourself at times sitting in the theatre not wanting the story to unfold so quickly.

As for the sexual element in DECEPTION...Its not a skinemax and its not a tease. Its just right. Not giving you too much nor too little. I do think an Unrated Cut would be interesting though, and I'm hoping FOX is already planning that for this August. Once again let me just highlight how much of an impact Natasha Henstridge has on the film's tone, taking it from foreplay to...

Go see this movie guys and help out at the box office,

-TL

TL, I like this poster version more than the other one:

deception-417.jpg

You've impressed me young lady...

I concur and too prefer this one more than the other. Unfortunately the other poster is the one I saw displayed at the theatre I saw it in.

*Can you e-mail me the full-res version of it? Or is that the actual size?

-TL

That above poster led to me do some detective work on what Ewan McGregor has coming out after DECEPTION...

Apparently the next thing is something that also co-stars DECEPTION's Michelle Williams. INCENDIARY is a British drama directed by Sharon Maguire (Bridget Jones' Diary) that premiered at Cannes and should hit mainstream this Fall.

Following that is something of considerable size - the long awaited prequel to The DaVinci Code to star Ewan and Tom Hanks. Ron Howard's Angels and Demons will give Hugh Jackman a run for his money on May 15, 2009.

He's also shooting the comedy I Love You Philip Morris with Jim Carrey and Leslie Mann to hit theatres next year.

-TL

You've impressed me young lady...

I concur and too prefer this one more than the other. Unfortunately the other poster is the one I saw displayed at the theatre I saw it in.

*Can you e-mail me the full-res version of it? Or is that the actual size?

-TL

ygm

Apparently Michelle Williams struck a cord with her co-star Hugh Jackman...

deception10bgo4.jpgdeception11bsv9.jpg

There's already talks of Michelle playing the female lead in Hugh's next project DRIVE to be released after X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Naturally Jackman is producing the film. Based on the novel by James Sallis, Jackman will star as a Hollywood stunt driver that also drives getaway cars for bank robbers. Its Wolverine meets The Transporter. Hossein Amini (KILLSHOT) wrote the screenplay and Neil Marshall (Doomsday, The Descent) will direct the film. Universal is putting up the cash teaming up with Jackman's SEED Productions. I'm surprised FOX isn't behind this after 4 films with SEED.

Jackman claims "Its a Clint Eastwood movie" and that makes things a whole lot juicier.

-TL