Robert E. Howard's - Solomon Kane

Looks like director Michael J. Bassett has a passion project going in the form of Robert E. Howard's "Solomon Kane", based on the Puritan Warrior of pulp legend.

I am a HUGE fan of Howard's pulp hero and an even larger fan of Wandering Star's hardcover Solomon Kane omnibus, illustrated throughout by the amazing talent of artist Gary Gianni.

This film was announced at Comicon 2006, but that's life in getting movies off the ground. Two years later they are finally in production in Eastern Europe.

I love the cast, James Purefoy (Mark Antony in HBO's Rome) is KANE. You also may remember Purefoy as "The Black Prince" in "A Knight's Tale.

I've always maintained that Purefoy and Jane look like brothers and that they should do a film as such. That'd be cool. But I'm straying. . .

Also cast are several of my favorite all-time actors, chiefly, Max Von Sydow as Kane's father. Also one of my favorite character actors, Pete Postlethwaite, as William Crowthorn. The rest of the cast is listed over at IMDB -------> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970452/

If this news isn't enough to get you completely stoked, check out this teaser poster -

First_Kane_poster_small.jpg

So far so good. Please God, PLEASE let this be a great film.

- TB

Big fan of Purefoy and I wish one day to see both Purefoy, Jane and even Christopher Lambert in a film together. It would be so intense.

Guest AdminGuyX

This looks like Bassett's first pass at working with actors who are well known. I'm not familiar with his work, so I may be wrong on that. But it looks like he's just done some low budget UK work previously.

Any word on the size of the budget for this film?

I wish him luck, and I also hope this is a great film! Very fond of the author, and God knows I love the kind of imagery and mood the poster invokes, and that flintlock pistol is a damn cool prop gun.

And I dig that simple but very effective logo.

Took me a second to see the long hair though. I'm curious what Purefoy will look like throughout the film, and have my fingers crossed it works.

Njc---------

Yeah, that pistol is ridiculously cool.

I love that logo too, Noeland, any idea what font that is?

I'd love to use something like that for an upcoming thing.

I actually didn't know what to think about Purefoy when I heard he was attached way back when.

I think he's terrific, but Solomon Kane is a rather strange looking fella.

Hawk nose, sharp features, pale and wiry. That doesn't really describe James Purefoy.

But realistically how can the studio expect to have a leading man that fits that description?

Kane doesn't necessarily fit the bill of a leading man.

So I've warmed to Purefoy in this role.

No use fixating on that.

But, if I was to cast the part closer, physically, and still get a good actor . . . I'd have cast Vincent Cassel.

cassell.jpg

Guest AdminGuyX
I love that logo too, Noeland, any idea what font that is?

Looks like a Garamond style font to me, maybe slightly altered (The L and the S in particular look jiggered), with a photoshop bevel added for the subtle 3d effect.

But honestly it could be some homemade font off of acidfonts or something too, but I'd say garamond based.

Threw a little sample together (it's a slow day in the office, obviously) This is straight up garamond (regular) that I didn't alter, just added a bevel to it. She's purty close . . .

kane%20font%20maybe.jpg

I'll do some research on the flint lock, see if I can find a casting of it.

:)

Looks like a Garamond style font to me, maybe slightly altered (The L and the S in particular look jiggered), with a photoshop bevel added for the subtle 3d effect.

But honestly it could be some homemade font off of acidfonts or something too, but I'd say garamond based.

Threw a little sample together (it's a slow day in the office, obviously) This is straight up garamond (regular) that I didn't alter, just added a bevel to it. She's purty close . . .

kane%20font%20maybe.jpg

I'll do some research on the flint lock, see if I can find a casting of it.

:)

Thanks Noeland!!!

- TB

• 1 year later...
Guest AdminGuyX

AICN has a new review posted that sounds incredibly favorable. Here is an excerpt.

Now - about the performances - they're all dead on. James Purefoy is a movie star. His Solomon Kane is the animal we wish Wolverine was in fights. He's fantastic as Kane. He sells everything about the character - this isn't a film about one liners and unbelievable action. This is the purest film introduction to a new screen star since I saw George Clooney in FROM DUSK TIL DAWN. I had the exact same feeling watching Purefoy here.

The link:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41022

I just saw SOLOMON KANE at a distributor screening in Beverly Hills courtesy of AIN'T IT COOL NEWS and it's fucking awesome!

James Purefoy owns the role. It's brutal, violent, nasty, dirty, dark, and badass. It sells the period well without shitty CGI and when it does use CGI, it uses it really well. The supporting cast is solid. The villains are good if not quite the level of villain in CONAN THE BARBARIAN.

It's a great origin story and a great setup for a series. My only concern is that because of how dark and brutal it is, it could be a tough sell.

This movie came out of nowhere for me. I just heard of its existence a week or so ago when Harry at AICN posted his review. Glad I was lucky enough to be one of the 80 who got to see it. Harry was flooded with 650 emails to get on the list!

Really hope this flick gets a solid release unlike this year's OUTLANDER which got no support. Still haven't seen it, but I can't wait too.

P.S. I agree with Tim that James Purefoy and Tom Jane were separated at birth. I think it's a PARENT TRAP situation where James was shipped off to England and Tom was kept in the States.

• 2 months later...
Bootlegged footage from Comic-Con is online, so check it out while you can.

Oh, and in case you didn't get to see it, looked awesome even in shitty bootleg form.

I dig that man. Thankfully a Solomon Kane who looks very dangerous.

It's a great origin story and a great setup for a series. My only concern is that because of how dark and brutal it is, it could be a tough sell.

First of all Brian, you should be pulled apart at the seams for getting to see this all spur of the moment-like when I've been waiting FOREVER to SEE this fucking thing!!! I could . . . I'll, AHHHHHHHHH! OK, I'm fine now ;)

Secondly, the fact that anyone says this - "My only concern is that because of how dark and brutal it is, it could be a tough sell." - and there is relevance for this statement in Hollywood bean counter land makes my blood boil. How bout, hey Hollywood, I brought you something . . . That's right, it's a big tall steaming glass of FUCK yourself!

Oh for shame, someone treats the material honestly and doesn't pull any punches. Let's please banish a potentially AWESOME franchise to the land of zero financing because you can't sell tickets to a large portion of the brainwashed by your bullshit public, anyone who's younger than 17. I seem to remember a little trilogy called LORD OF THE RINGS that was also pretty fucking brutal in spots. Fine, I haven't seen this yet but I'm sure the brutality and violence rampant in the 15th century (and today, turn on the news) will not shock me. It's likely more gore heavy than LOTR, so what.

I'd like to hit all the moral majority suits with a fleet of gas trucks and see them taste their own blood.

OK, I'm not a naturally violent person but Shhheeeeshhh!

Some day, mark my fucking words. Me or someone I have great influence with is going to give films like this a chance and get behind them instead of pressuring them to 'friendly it the fuck up a little', or compromise it further cause it could possibly be "a tough sell".

Release the thing and give it some fair P+A, let the audience answer the question. Do we want to see more uncompromising films like this?

I'll bet you balls to a fucking starving wolf that THEY DO!

This is the kind of opportunity that made Lion's Gate one of the premiere acquisition studios in Hollywood.

Don't fail us now.

OK, rant over ;)

I wanna see this NOW.

And by the way, release the fucking official trailer already!!!!!!

Fuck the pirated vid cam crap from SDCC. Be proud of your film and give us the goods!

- TB

PS - Yes, Noeland, the fucking luscious shot of him donning cape at end of shitty pirated trailer is massively super-cool!

The good news is that at Comic-Con the Producer and Director talked about their plans to make two sequels. So they're behind this franchise in a big way.

Unfortunately, Tim, screenings like this come up with very little notice. That's one of the great things about L.A. and how I've been in the first public screenings of films like AMERICAN GANGSTER, BODY OF LIES, EDGE OF DARKNESS, and SOLOMON KANE.

Shit, I'd have loved to speak with Michael Bassett.

Well yes, good news indeed. Thanks for clueing me Bri.

So what's the story, they're looking for a distributor?

God I hope they aren't forced to make some mind numbing cuts.

Also, finally got a chance to see Hurt Locker when I was up in Santa Monica.

I need to post in that thread . . . But fuck! Jeremy Renner! Wow, he was amazing.

Then I watched some of his TV series, The Unusuals . . . Underwhelming.

Renner doesn't embarrass himself but he really doesn't have much to do either.

Anyway . . . back on topic.

- TB

• 1 month later...

Cool trailer! Looks better and "bigger" than I thought it would (I didn't know about the 40 or 50 million budget until a few days ago).

This is definitely one of my Most Wanted now. It's dark, gritty and brutal, really feels Howardian and Purefoy seems to be a great choice for Kane. I really hope that the gaps that they had to fill for this origin story is as good as the material in the Howard short stories and I pray that this will be successful, so we can get sequels and see some more direct adaptations of the shorts like Red Shadows, Wings in the Night or The Moon of Skulls. Yeah, especially the African stuff... :)

• 7 months later...

Found some cool stuff we haven't posted.

120x160-Solomon-28_12_2.jpg

solomon_kane_8.jpg

I kept these guys big in case anyone wanted to grab 'em.

Kane was supposedly release on DVD and BluRay in Sweden on cinco de mayo.

Fat lot of good that does most of us.

Wikipedia states that Rogue Pictures has acquired the rights to release the film in 2010 - Hopefully that means theatrical.

If anyone has additional information, please share.

A friend of mine got his mitts on the unreleased score by Klaus Badelt, and it's understated (grand where appropriate), moody, and fantastic. At least I can enjoy that for now.

- TB

The UK DVD & BluRay is supposed to be released on June 28 according to Amazon.

No date for the US release yet (as far as I know). The film was supposed to have a screening at the Newport Beach Film Festival in late April, but it got cancelled, because Michael Bassett couldn't leave the UK and deliver the film at the time.

No date for a german release either. That sucks.