Michigan Film Incentive

relias33

As many of you who live in the states know, Michigan is one of the states in an economic struggle. For the longest time, Michigan was relying on the Big 3 (GM, Chrysler, and Ford) to keep the state in good standing. After things went downhill from there, many people have been struggling to find work and the state has been struggling more and more every day....

Not long ago, Hollywood started coming to Michigan. A film incentive was passed. A 42% tax break. While before our most recent governor Rick Snyder ® has taken office, Governor Jennifer Granholm (D) was supportive of such. Since Snyder has taken over office here, he has stated that he is not interested in keeping the movies here in Michigan. Big budgeted films have come here from all around (Real Steel starring Hugh Jackman, Red Dawn starring Chris Hemsworth, Kill the Irishman starring Ray Stevenson to name a few). The Dark Knight Rises is set to film some portions here in Detroit as well. The Avengers which was set to film here for some scenes will NO LONGER be filming here. My guess is because this dickhead governor of ours is getting rid of this incentive. I never pay attention to politics, but becoming a successful actor is the career path I'm taking. This is an extremely tough industry to be successful in and I am taking a shot in the dark. This was my best chance to make it seeing as how the big films came to my home to shoot.

When Snyder first took office, he said that he would gradually bring down the tax break percentage over time. I thought that that may be okay seeing as how if he sees the films bringing in good money, decreasing the percentage may not be a big deal. The film industry in Michigan has given over 30,000 jobs to those in need. And now this fucker is getting closer and closer to taking this away.

Check out this article:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110221/BI...6;6-of-business

I ask you all to do guys like Andy, and myself here in Michigan a favor and cross your fingers for us because we are dreaming to make it and while the dream is soo close, things like this make it so far.

I keep thinking to myself, "what the fuck am I gonna do with my life if I can't do this?". Go back to being a bouncer? Finish school in criminal justice/law enforcement? Sell my soul to the devil? I don't wanna do any of that shit. I want to be an actor. While some of you might advise me to move to LA....well it's not that easy. I'd be working my ass off to save money and build credit which would take me a longggggg time to do ANDDDDDDD, you gotta keep in mind that for every person trying to make it in movies here in Michigan, there is like 1000, trying to make it in LA. I would be fed to the wolves. Just sayin....

Okay ladies and gents, I'm sorry for rambling on and on. This is my life though. This is all I see myself doing till the day I die. I need this.

Thanks for reading!

-Raf

Guest AdminGuyX

You know Raf, you can request a meeting with the governor, or his staff, and plead your case to keep the incentive program. he may not be interested in keeping it because he doesn't see the human impact it has. I don't know anything about him, so maybe he's one of those politicians who has a moral objection to films in general and their content.

Your first move should be to call the local news, and the free press, and tell them you want to be interviewed, and that they should run a series of stories about this subject and the negative impact it's going to have across the board. I have no doubt once local actors, film makers, and hey even folks from hollywood get wind of it, they will support you and would be willing to do on camera interviews about it.

Make some noise where it counts. Show your passion and love for the medium and make sure you drive home the financial side of it too. It's just stupid not to want to have multi-million dollar films shooting in Detroit. It's only going to do good things for the city and the state.

You know Raf, you can request a meeting with the governor, or his staff, and plead your case to keep the incentive program. he may not be interested in keeping it because he doesn't see the human impact it has. I don't know anything about him, so maybe he's one of those politicians who has a moral objection to films in general and their content.

Your first move should be to call the local news, and the free press, and tell them you want to be interviewed, and that they should run a series of stories about this subject and the negative impact it's going to have across the board. I have no doubt once local actors, film makers, and hey even folks from hollywood get wind of it, they will support you and would be willing to do on camera interviews about it.

Make some noise where it counts. Show your passion and love for the medium and make sure you drive home the financial side of it too.

There's gonna be a meeting at one of the new studios that has been built this Thursday...lot's of people are gonna be there. Mitch Albom will be there speaking up on this as well. Lot's of supporters and such. It's been all over our local news stations. They just put on the news how The Avengers will no longer be filming in Detroit because they "demanded an answer too soon"... which is bull shit because Avengers has been attached to filming in Michigan for some time now.

Oh Raf, I feel for you! As a state employee who's worked under several governors, both D & R, I understand your anger.

But do know this, I've seen many a governor bluff. They take a stance they think their base will support and wait for the legislature to make the hard decisions. That way they won't lose face. It's a dirty trick and tantamount to playing chicken. Remember, you politicians are no longer statesmen but salesmen.

You're lucky in that your film industry is relatively large and vocal. Try being a state employee - no one loves you and no one is out there lobbying for you to keep your job.

As for your dreams, they aren't dashed - if this door closes, a window opens somewhere else. And if you can't keep that faith right now, we will for you.

Sounds like your Governor hates the state.

Something to remember about our governor, he is a dick....no wait...he is a dick, that's true, but he was also a business man. Anybody remember Gateway computers? Snyder ran the company while it was in South Dakota, how that makes him a candidate for governor beats the hell out of me...I voted for the other guy.

Snyder will run the state like a business. His first shots are to kill incentives. And then unions. Watch Wisconsin, it's coming to Michigan. In a business, INCENTIVES are a REALLY bad thing. They cost you tons of money and really don't ever pay for themselves. In a business, incentives, don't have a positive impact on your bottom line they just cost you money. Period. Remember what incentives did to the auto industry?

Now a state is totally unlike a business, the incentives work wonderfully and have created 10's of thousands of jobs in the state and added hundreds of start up businesses like catering, costumes and companies that provide all sorts of needs for big budget flicks, 10's of thousands of jobs. There are studies that show for every 1 dollar spent on Film Incentives 6 dollars are made by Michigan. So this should be a no brainer correct?...no...of course not.

Synder says, "Hey the incentives look great for the economy, but they do not work for the budget." True quote, he said that. "Great for the economy, but they do not work for the budget"

Snyder is also the guy who is trying to overturn Michigans 30 year old "LABEL LAW". The label law says, ALL ITEMS ON A STORE SHELF HAVE TO HAVE A PRICE LABEL. The stores say that the cost of labor to apply those labels are driving up the price of the shelf items. So Snyder will change the law, the store will lay off the labor that applies the label and the price of the item on the shelf...WILL NEVER GO DOWN! My ass, the store will drop the cost! They will just pocket the extra profit.

See? Good for the budget, but bad for the economy, more layoffs, more unemployement, more home forclosures but the store made a little profit and killing the Film Incentive will somehow balance Michigans 42 billion dollar budget, the 160 million given to the film industry last year, will somehow magically balance the 42 billion dollar budget...

So to everyone screaming at SNYDER...educate yourself, the state is not a state, it is a business. Businesses don't make sense...they make MONEY. That is what we are fighting, not some repugnacant who hates movies. Learn business or we will never beat Snyder.

Given Ohio has got a Republican Governor now, Chances are good the shits going to hit here soon enough. Hell, I think he's already trying to bust the unions.

Yeah, the Governor of Wisconsin has already mentioned that he had a close friend and supporter in Ohio...

Yep! 40 million for the few scenes they will shoot. I'm happy for you Mikey but saddened that I won't have the chance to audition.

-Raffi