The Punisher

Mike V

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HBO and Showtime are the typical choices, I'd be just as happy with it on AMC.

AMC would be great for it to be a Pg-13 show but I don't wanna see a Punisher series that can't be gory or drop F-bombs left and right. I'm not interested in a scaled back Punisher you know?

-Raffi

AMC would be great for it to be a Pg-13 show but I don't wanna see a Punisher series that can't be gory or drop F-bombs left and right. I'm not interested in a scaled back Punisher you know?

-Raffi

Gore and violence would not be a problem on AMC. Breaking Bad had an amazing head-shot with brain matter hitting the screen, not to mention word is that Darabont and crew did not hold back on The Walking Dead.

Also, this is from Supernatural which airs on The CW.

cas.gif

Vulgarity; if the writing is good enough, what does it matter if the characters do or don't say fuck.

Marvel better find the right crew to get behind it. Punisher has always been in flux at Marvel. Even now, I have no idea what is going on. Max in on hold, the new Punisher/Frankencastle title has been axed and I see there is a new series starting. Lets not forget the reboot of War Journal that was axed a few years back and the list goes on and on. Even writers on the book are hit and miss. Sadly, more miss than hit. This leads into the films. I think the biggest problem with the films are that they are influenced by the wrong books.

The last two films have included both good and bad, but I wish they would weed out the crap. The last film falted on the fact they promised MAX and we got MK. For me the MK run was horrible. Outside of Welcome Back Frank and a few issues here and there, the only redeeming factor was Tim's covers. Even Ennis admits the writing was bad on MK. It wasn't until MAX when Ennis nailed it, and that was because he grounded it some sort of reality and cut the goofy stuff. Just because it was in one of the series does not mean the fans want it (Esspecially the possesed/angel Frank and more recently Frankencastle. I can already see the Halloween special. And lets on forget Eminem ;) )

-Raffi

Go see RED. PG-13 and cool. I think you cheapen The Punisher by requiring the gore and language.

Go see RED. PG-13 and cool. I think you cheapen The Punisher by requiring the gore and language.

I think the gore and language is more suitable for his environment and the nature of his character and those around him. It's more natural. If I see him shoot someone in the head, or stick a Kabar in someone's jaw, I wanna see what it does. I wanna see the people beg and cry like they do in the comics and naturally, they would be cursing. I'm not interested in seeing a War Journal or Marvel Universe type of Punisher on screen or on tv. I only think he can work best in an R-rated setting. It goes with the situations more realistically in my opinion.

I wanted to see RED last weekend because I knew I would think it was a fun movie. My friends opted to see Jackass 3D instead. My first 3D movie (I know can you believe it?) and it was hilarious

-Raf

Guest AdminGuyX

If the Punisher series is on par with Justified, Sons of Anarchy, or Supernatural, I would enjoy it.

I would much rather see a hard R, intense crime film though.

;)

Go see RED. PG-13 and cool.

Agreed. :D

I think the gore and language is more suitable for his environment and the nature of his character and those around him. It's more natural. If I see him shoot someone in the head, or stick a Kabar in someone's jaw, I wanna see what it does. I wanna see the people beg and cry like they do in the comics and naturally, they would be cursing. I'm not interested in seeing a War Journal or Marvel Universe type of Punisher on screen or on tv. I only think he can work best in an R-rated setting. It goes with the situations more realistically in my opinion.

-Raf

I get what you're saying. You don't want a "Censored" Punisher. I don't blame you. Now, I'm not a person who needs to hear curse words in every single sentence. But I don't think that after all Frank Castle goes through, his biggest concern is going to be watching his language. :P

A lot more shows feature gory violence now, and I can't picture The Punisher not having gore in some fashion. Even if it's only briefly or not.

If the Punisher series is on par with Justified, Sons of Anarchy, or Supernatural, I would enjoy it.

Amen

I'm not interested in seeing a War Journal or Marvel Universe type of Punisher on screen or on tv. I only think he can work best in an R-rated setting. It goes with the situations more realistically in my opinion.

And while I'm quite fond of what Ennis did with Frank, I'm also a Fraction fan, which puts me in a minority on this board. ;)

But Fraction had Castle in the Marvel Universe. You wanna see a Marvel Universe Castle as well? Now I do like what Fraction did for the comic books, but I only like it for that.

• 1 month later...

Okay so Kevin Feige was talking about future Marvel film projects.... I took note of one of the projects mentioned in particular:

In regards to Marvel Studios having the rights to The Punisher regained and are currently figuring out what to do with the property

"Punisher's back in house, and various plans are in the works."

Soooo that seems interesting. Anybody hear anything about anything? Tim? Guys? Gals? Anybody?

-Raf

Last I remember Tim heard some grumblings of a TV show a while back, and the character was on a list of possible future TV show too. So, I'm thinking that's going to be a strong possibility right now.

Also worth noting, Feige did mention Marvel was open to doing R-rated films, so an R-rated Punisher film may not be out of the picture.

Last I remember Tim heard some grumblings of a TV show a while back, and the character was on a list of possible future TV show too. So, I'm thinking that's going to be a strong possibility right now.

Also worth noting, Feige did mention Marvel was open to doing R-rated films, so an R-rated Punisher film may not be out of the picture.

Yay! But will they do it right this time? They have all of Ennis' run to draw from(I haven't read the other stuff after his yet). That's really all they need. I would love to see them cast an older Frank, someone in his late 40's at least. Just keep it real, dirty and gritty.

As for tv, it works for Dexter. Just up the body count, keep him as cold as ice, but have a few scenes to show his humanity is still in tact.

Yay! But will they do it right this time? They have all of Ennis' run to draw from(I haven't read the other stuff after his yet). That's really all they need. I would love to see them cast an older Frank, someone in his late 40's at least. Just keep it real, dirty and gritty.

As for tv, it works for Dexter. Just up the body count, keep him as cold as ice, but have a few scenes to show his humanity is still in tact.

I'd really like to see Jane take on an HBO Punisher show. He's already on great terms with HBO for HUNG.

You can keep Stevenson if you were to go with a Frank in his mid to late 40s....Stevenson is 45 I believe and he's ALSO familiar with working for HBO.

-Raf