Alien Prequels - Ridley Scott

Lot's to love and yap about from this past weekend's Hero Complex screenings of Alien and Blade Runner, not to mention the fact that we were treated to a wonderful Ridley Scott Q&A between features!

My pal Quint puts the Q&A into perspective with this breakdown.

Get ready for a return to glory as Scott comes back to the franchise he single handedly launched back in the day. This time, Alien PREQUELS!

Yeah, not one, but TWO.

Read on - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45454

Big thanks to Jordan Raskin and Brian McQuery for informing us of the screenings and for saving us some freakin seats!

More soon - TB

Lot's to love and yap about from this past weekend's Hero Complex screenings of Alien and Blade Runner, not to mention the fact that we were treated to a wonderful Ridley Scott Q&A between features!

My pal Quint puts the Q&A into perspective with this breakdown.

Get ready for a return to glory as Scott comes back to the franchise he single handedly launched back in the day. This time, Alien PREQUELS!

Yeah, not one, but TWO.

Read on - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45454

Big thanks to Jordan Raskin and Brian McQuery for informing us of the screenings and for saving us some freakin seats!

More soon - TB

It was every bit worth the 3 hour drive (should have been 2) to get to the event. Double on the thanks to Brian and Jordan on the seats, we got in just after Alien started.

Geoff Boucher, LA Times Entertainment Staff Writer, hosted the Hero Complex Film Festival and did a fantastic job. He and the LA Times are already in the works for repeating the event next year and have leads on some exciting possibilities.

I agree with Tim, that Quint does a great job of capturing all the interesting points of the Q&A. This was a golden opportunity to candid feeling for what it was like for Ridley Scott to be incredible movie creator he is.

Mike

Guest AdminGuyX

OK, you're just going to have to tell me all about this in person in a couple weeks. I still weep over missing the blade runner screening Scott attended that happened on my birthday a couple years back.

So, he's making a western is he? Awesome. I think we might know a good actor for the lead.

As for some Alien prequels. Well, I'm excited. I have to admit, I'm a little hesitant too. I'd be lying if I didn't express a feeling of these wanting to be excellent films. I'd like them to be benchmarks in his career the way the first film is. Though I realize these hardly ever feel that way until 10 or 20 years later.

;)

Well, no matter what happens with the prequel, it could not be as bad as any of the AVP films. I know Ridley and Cameron have been vocal about being pretty upset about what has happened to the franchise. I'm just glad Ridley is taking action. Now if they could get Cameron on board too. Personally, I'd love to see Cameron pen and Scott direct.

As for the Western, yeah, Tom would be phenominal, but I'd be willing to put money that Russel Crowe gets the lead in that one.

• 2 weeks later...

The pity is that Scott was never invited back to the Alien franchise after he blew everyone away with the first film.

When he found out someone was doing a sequel (Cameron) he was shocked, and duly chuffed at not getting even a call about it.

Ridley says he's always seen a sequel/prequel as revolving around the Space Jockey.

Shit, back in the day that's all fans could ever talk about, the Space Jockey. Sure, the Alien was cool and all but the scene in the derelict ship is what really had us all going "Holy Shit!"

Probably because we saw so little of it, and what we did see was just utterly horrifying and intriguing. Definitely something no one had ever seen before.

Sitting through Alien again on the big screen was a delight, and as silly as it sounds one of my favorite parts is when they exit the Nostromo in the first 3rd of the film . . .

All the chaff and detritus flying around outside is just so cool. A fairly simple Hollywood trick (as they were shooting on a soundstage) but so EFFECTIVE.

It really got across the feeling that this was a very inhospitable world. From the sterile safety of the ship environment to the Hurricane winds on a desolate alien landscape.

Great stuff.

- TB

I had a chance to see Alien on the big screen in 2003 when the Director’s Cut was given a limited run. It was really cool to see it the way it’s meant to be shown. And another thing that made it really eerie was that the fact that I was the only one who bought a ticket to it, so I had the cinema to myself.

I really hope Scott can inject some dignity back into to the series with the prequel. The last AVP film was an utter disgrace.

Hmm I'm still divided on this one. Scott is great filmmaker, but on the other hand I'm not sure about taking the mystery away from the "Space Jockey". Some things are better not explained. Of course, it's also a matter of the execution. Well, I'm waiting for more infos and the trailer...

Archived