TB - Masters Of INk interview

Tim Bradstreet

This just in from Jason T over at Optimum Wound -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Part one of the epic 3 parter goes live at something like 3.50am Pacific time on Thursday morning (in 5 hours). Then tweeted out to 12,000 folk and facebook'd, comicblipp'd etc...

It will show up at:

http://www.optimumwound.com/tim-bradstreet...ink-realism.htm

I believe part 2 will be on Friday and part 3 on either Monday or Tuesday next week.

There'll be more color images in the other parts but I'm mainly sticking with black and white for most of it. I have around 3 dozen images that I chose.

Tim thanks so much for committing 6000+ words to paper. We'll do it proud.

best,

--

Jason Thibault

Optimum Wound

www.optimumwound.com

twitter.com/jasonthibault

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of weeks ago I did an extensive interview with Opt-Wound's Richard Serrao, for Masters Of INk. We get to the straight dope on everything from my technique, to Red Sky Diary.

I'll post the link when the first part goes live Thursday.

Get ready to duck, cause here it comes!

;)

- TB

This just in from Jason Thibault -

Part 2 of this sucker will go live in 2 hours at:

http://www.optimumwound.com/tim-bradstreet...cess-part-2.htm

The url is permanent.

Part 3 will have more pen and ink art, some movie poster designs and a video. It's probably slightly longer than the first 2 parts.

We'll aim for a Monday update and keep the momentum going.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- tb

I really enjoyed the interview and the amount of information you provided in those three parts. I was wondering if you could spare some details on the project you said you have with Garth Ennis over at Dynamic Forces. I've been following you since Punisher so when I read that I almost fell out of my chair.

Apologies -

Neglected to post part III.

Here it is! - TB on drive, determination, craft, and Red Sky Diary - III

Miguel - I wish I could illuminate further details of the Ennis project but I do not believe that DF have announced the book yet.

That should be very soon. Suffice to say that currently it's planned as a 4 issue mini, if it finds an audience then we could be doing subsequent 4 issue story arcs for the foreseeable future.

Fan base and sales control our fate to a degree. I know Garth really digs the character, so do I. One of the unfortunate downsides to working with independent publishers is that they cannot afford to continue backing projects that perform even moderately, regardless of how good the book is. The one thing that can affect that equation is if there is critical success. But obviously the jury is still out on that since the book is still in the development stage. I believe the first issue is being drawn as we speak. So too early to tell . . . YET.

But this is the publishing world we live in, eh?

Let's hope the book finds a decent core audience AND gets some critical attention, then we'll be doing them for a little while longer anyway ;)

I'll announce the project for real as soon as we get a go-ahead from Dynamic Forces.

Thanks!!

Apologies -

Neglected to post part III.

Here it is! - TB on drive, determination, craft, and Red Sky Diary - III

Miguel - I wish I could illuminate further details of the Ennis project but I do not believe that DF have announced the book yet.

That should be very soon. Suffice to say that currently it's planned as a 4 issue mini, if it finds an audience then we could be doing subsequent 4 issue story arcs for the foreseeable future.

Fan base and sales control our fate to a degree. I know Garth really digs the character, so do I. One of the unfortunate downsides to working with independent publishers is that they cannot afford to continue backing projects that perform even moderately, regardless of how good the book is. The one thing that can affect that equation is if there is critical success. But obviously the jury is still out on that since the book is still in the development stage. I believe the first issue is being drawn as we speak. So too early to tell . . . YET.

But this is the publishing world we live in, eh?

Let's hope the book finds a decent core audience AND gets some critical attention, then we'll be doing them for a little while longer anyway ;)

I'll announce the project for real as soon as we get a go-ahead from Dynamic Forces.

Thanks!!

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure you shouldn't have a problem finding an audience for the book. Eagerly anticipating that announcement.

Great in-depth interview there Tim!

I remember on the first Punisher dvd, we got a featurette on how you go about creating the images; ever think you'll do a new video showing some of your new techniques since then? As the kids say these days, that would be the bee's knees.

Such a great interview! I really enjoyed it.

The writers will come from many different areas of expertise, comic writers, screenwriters, novelists, etc. They will get carte blanch to write about whatever they want to as long as it pertains to that image I hand to them. It’s the normal creative process in reverse. They will each be limited to around 3 to 4000 words. When they finish the story I’ll add a spot illustration or two in order to round things out. My plan is to print it oversized (like 9″ x 12″) and do it as a hardcover. All the illustrations will be in glorious black and white.

That sounds so incredible. I'd be happy to help. ;)

Archived