Are You LOST?

Rosella

fashion of seasons past. To a degree.

The visuals were also, in my mind, some of the weakest ever presented in the series run. The gold glowing cave tunnel was laughably bad. It almost played like a parody of LOST.

It kinda looked like a pissy toilet.

Apparently, next weeks episode is suppose to be one of the best of the last few years.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was also because the show is better than this. I just kept feeling like they really had no idea how to write around the concept they had for what the island is, or how smokey was "made" if that's even what we saw, if they really have any idea. I was almost wondering if they knew the core idea was so weak they hated it themselves.

I would've preferred to actually see the transformation of the Man in Black turning into the Smoke Monster. (Or the Smoke Monster escaping his body) I hate that that had to happen again off camera.

Guest AdminGuyX

That's another thing that's really bugging me about the attitude the producers/writers have right now. They are creating situations simply to be cryptic and not really caring if it's the best way to tell the story. I suppose they really started doing that in season 2 though. :)

But I agree with you, I'd of like to have seen more of the transformation, so to speak. I know a lot of the theories are simply that Mom was the smoke monster all along, and simply adopted Titus Welliver's face because she loved him the best. Sadly, I don't even care. The episode is easily ignored and doesn't effect the overall story of the flight 815 folks much at all anyway.

I also wish JJ Abrams had returned to help them with the show again, and I was hopeful he'd come back and direct the series finale. How cool would that have been?

I also wish JJ Abrams had returned to help them with the show again, and I was hopeful he'd come back and direct the series finale. How cool would that have been?

Cool? It would've been amazing! And I believe what every LOST fan wants.

The episode “What They Died For” contained a lot of important plot points, including many that involved Ben, the man I'm always happy to see.

Spoiler Alert!!!

In the Flash Sideways, Jack gets a call from Desmond. That’s what Desmond is doing now. He’s rounding up the gang for some sort of reunion. Desmond returns to the school and beats up Ben. Why does Ben get beat up this time? For standing up for Locke who Desmond had ran over. Desmond isn’t there to hurt Locke; he’s there to help him let go. And Ben believes that statement. One similar to what Jack had said to Locke, which makes Locke want to get help from Jack. He's ready to get out of the chair.

Desmond gets himself arrested in order to be reunited with Kate, Sayid, and Sawyer. But Desmond isn’t alone. He gets Hurley to pay Ana Lucia cash to help them break out of the truck. Why? Well, this is part of Desmond’s plan for gathering everyone of Oceanic 815 up. Next stop? A concert. Will Charlie be there? Or will it be Faraday? Or both?

I love Desmond, but he’s so secretive. He’s not really sharing what he’s got planned. Would anyone believe him if he tried to explain?

Meanwhile, Ben finds a potential love interest. It's Danielle Rousseau, Alex's mother. Alex still views Ben as a father figure, which makes him feel proud.

Back on the island, Charles Widmore visits and teams up with Ben. Or at least we think that’s the case. Enter Smokey. Richard actually feels that he can reason with him. Does he? No, he gets tossed in the air by the Smoke Monster. “Locke” doesn’t need him. He wants Ben to kill people for him. And he also wants Widmore. Ben actually gives up Widmore’s hiding place.

So, “Locke” wants to know why Widmore returned to the island. He starts to tell him but gets interrupted by bullets fired by Ben. Ben shoots and kills Widmore! I liked this part. I never cared for Widmore to begin with, but I’m glad Ben didn’t become pals with the guy. Ben’s reason for killing Widmore? “He doesn’t get to save his daughter.” Widmore really didn’t deserve the chance, anyways. According to “Locke”, Ben is on his side. He agreed to kill more people for him. But will Ben be the one to kill “Locke”? He’s the one who deserves to the most. It would really be interesting if Ben kills “Locke,” because he had killed Jacob.

Speaking of Jacob, he’s back. But not for long. Only until his ashes burn completely in the flames. Jacob informs Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, and Jack that he needs to have a replacement now. And it can be anyone of them. The candidate can choose, since Jacob never had a choice. Even Kate, if she wants the job. The only reason her name is crossed off in the cave is because she became a mother. Everyone else still leads unhappy, lost lives. Out of all the candidates, the winner (and only volunteer) is………..Jack! Jack is ready to become the new Jacob. At this point, he seems to be the only one fit to lead. The old Sawyer would’ve fought for the position. He would’ve questioned why Jack should be the one. But now, it’s a job no one else seems to want. It’s a job Jack claims to be his purpose.

The next task at hand is to kill the Man in Black. Even Jacob is fine with it. Though, he does own up to being responsible for making him the Smoke Monster. Jack plans to protect the light from the Man in Black. And yet, he wants to kill him. So, if the Man in Black ceases to exist, what will be the new reason to protect the light?

The Man in Black has a plan. He wants to leave, then destroy the island. The same island he had promised that Ben could have. Another reason Ben should kill the Man in Black--he’s going to destroy his island.

This is all a great set-up for the 2 ½ Hour Series Finale Event. The end is so near I can taste it. But as all series finales go, there will be critics. Some will love the ending. Some will loathe it. It’s hard to please everyone. No matter how it all ends, no one can deny the wonderful ride LOST has taken us on. It’s been quite a journey; now it’s time to reach our destination. Buckle up! We may experience some turbulence.

Guest AdminGuyX

I've been ragging on the show all season, but that was a good finale. I really enjoyed it. Hell of a way to end a series. Very clever.

LOST “The Final Journey” is a great look back on such a wonderful television series.

Six years. Six years of dedication. Six years of interesting, diverse characters. Six years of unique plot points. Six years ago, I didn’t have any desire to watch LOST. A bunch of people crash land on an island and wait for rescue. How is that a TV show and not a movie? But, I am so glad I was wrong. It was a quick judgment on my part, but the series became so much more.

The Dharma Initiative. Time travel. A mysterious, moving island. The Hatch. The Others. A Hydrogen Bomb. Looking back, as well as re-watching Seasons 1-5, made me realize that it will be a very long time before another show comes along like LOST. Sure, there will be the rip-offs. (Flash Forward, anyone?) It’s going to be awhile before there’s another show worth debating. Worth scratching our heads over to solve.

I’m going to miss everyone on this show. I’ll miss Jack’s leadership, Kate’s bravery, Sawyer’s nicknames for everyone, Sayid’s electronic savvy, Hurley’s “Dude” moments, Sun’s secrets, Jin’s fishing, Desmond’s passion for Penny, Faraday’s hypothesis, and Locke’s faith. And of course, Benjamin Linus. TV would not have been the same without such a goody-bad, ruthless, heroic villian. His manipulations is what I’ll miss most, as well as his guilt-ridden vulnerability. Ben is one of the best characters ever!

I’m going to miss the flash-backs, the flash-forwards, and the flash-sideways. No matter which direction we went, we always picked up a new anecdote of one of the characters. Always learning something fresh.

LOST is going to be a forever talked about show; I'm so glad I was a part of the journey.

The episode “"The End"” finally gave us closure on a six-year long venture of traveling to and from a mysterious island.

Mother of All Spoiler Alerts!!! (I'm talking about the ending)

In the flash-sideways, Desmond is finally able to round up the gang of castaways. Their meeting? A concert performed by Daniel Widmore and Drive Shaft (including Charlie). Charlie finally reunites with Claire, and they remember. Kate helps deliver Claire’s baby, and she remembers. Daniel has his time with Charlotte, and they remember. Jack and Kate reunite, and they remember.

Not too far away, Hurley takes Sayid to find his true love, Shannon. As soon as Sayid sees Shannon, they remember. Who helped? Boone. At a hospital, Sawyer, after passing Jack (who even despite the fact that Jack is wearing a suit and not a medical coat refers to him as“"Doc."”) rejoins Juliet (wife of Jack), and they remember. Juliet helps Sawyer retrieve a snack from the vending machine by unplugging it; she says, “"It worked."”

On the island, Jack and the Man in Black both want and need Desmond. He’s out of the well and hanging out with Rose and Bernard. That is until the Man in Black threatens to kill them in front of him. So, Desmond goes along to do whatever the Man in Black wants. Why? According to Desmond, none of “this” matters.

The Man in Black and Jack hoist Desmond down to destroy the Heart of the Island. What happens? The island starts sinking. The Man in Black wins. For the time being. Jack wants to kill him. So, the two battle it out along the mountain side. “Locke” isn't worried until he starts to bleed. Wasn't he invincible? By destroying the Heart of the Island, the Man in Black had destroyed himself. There is no more Smoke Monster. He's now human and is able to die. And Jack helps make that happen. When "Locke" takes the knife and slashes Jack, I thought that was it for him. But he proves me wrong, gains enough strength, and stabs“"Locke" to death. And kicks him over the side. Down the Man in Black goes, defeated at last.

In the Flash-Sideways, we see Locke talking to Jack. Locke is fixed thanks to Jack. He is even able to wiggle his toes. Locke remembers standing up for the first time and tries to get Jack to remember, but Jack doesn't want to believe.

The island is going down and quickly. Frank Lapidus, alive and kicking, decides he’ll fly whoever wants to leave off the island. Game for the trip? Kate, Sawyer, Miles, Claire, and Richard. Richard gets his first gray hair; he’ll be able to age.

Who is staying behind? Hurley, Ben, Desmond, and Jack. They need to fix the light. This is Jack’s purpose. In case he doesn't survive, he appoints Hurley the new Jacob. What about Ben? Why can't he be the one? He deserves it the most, and he was willing to sink down with the island. But, no. Jack chooses Hurley. Hurley is the new Number One; Ben is his Number Two.

Jack repairs the Heart of the Island, ending the destruction. Jack is badly injured, as he stumbles through the woods. Will he make it? Will he survive?

In the Flash-Sideways, the gang meet up at a church. Ben has the opportunity to apologize to Locke who forgives him. But Ben isn’t ready to go into the church. He's not ready to "leave."”

Kate takes Jack to the church; it is here that Jack finds his father's casket. Though, his father isn't in the casket; Christian Shephard is standing behind him. How is this possible? Jack figures it out. He's dead along with everyone else. The church was built as a place for all of them to find each other. They needed to remember in order to let go and leave. In order to move on. The gang enjoy each others, company, and then Christian opens doors filled with a white light; he leads the rest to follow.

Back on the island, as soon as I knew that Jack was going to die, I predicted the last shot. Not the ending, but the final frame. I knew it would be a close-up on Jack, closing his eye. It makes sense. The pilot began with Jack opening his eye. It was so sad, seeing Jack lie down and having Vincent lay down beside him. Jack looks up, sees a plane overhead, and closes his eyes.

The End!!!

My Interpretation?

I believe that when we watch the Sideways World, we are seeing an alternate universe. We see a world created by them; we view each person’s second life. We are watching the lives of the dead in a world between death and the afterlife. They're all stuck, because they haven’t remembered. Some have been here longer than others, such as Boone, Shannon, and Charlie. They're all waiting, even though they aren't fully aware of what they‘re anticipating. One of the first to figure it out is Desmond. He’s special. He’s their constant. It’s his responsibility to bring these people all together. Why? Because, in his heart, he feels that he’s the one who crashed their plane. He needs to help them remember. The last? Jack, their leader. Their Jacob. Live alone, move on together.

Ben isn't ready to move on. He’s not done. He has unfinished business. He spent most of his life protecting an island; now he wants to“"live" a little in the real world.

When Jack looks up at the plane, he believes he's watching his plane overhead. He thinks that repairing the Heart of the Island restored everything and that he prevented the plane crash. However, this isn't the case. He looks up, thinking the plane overhead is Flight 815, but it's actually Lapidus's plane. Jack wants the plane to be his, because that would mean he prevented it all from happening. According to Jack, he has fulfilled his purpose.

The plane crash was their destiny. And you can’t change one’s destiny. Desmond knows all about that. (For instance, trying to prevent Charlie’s death) Whatever is suppose to happen will happen. We can only change the course of how we get there; we can't tamper with the destination.

Am I satisfied with the ending? Yes, I’m glad that these people who died remembered the island events, and will move on together. Was I surprised by the ending? Absolutely, because I didn't think we'd discover that they died. Though for some, we didn't get to see how they died.

Did I love every single moment of the finale? Um, not really. Some parts seem speeded up, such as Ben being trapped, then we see he’s safe, even though we didn’t get to see him get out of the situation. There were a lot of scenes with Claire who isn’t a favorite character of mine. The Man in Black’s death scene happened so quickly. For being the most climatic scene of the season, I wanted more of a struggle between the two. And if the Man in Black wanted to leave the island so bad, would he do it in Locke’s skin? Why wouldn't he want to look like himself, again? I had wanted Ben to take over the island, not Hurley. I didn't get how Jack was saying that he’s the one who should take over, while Ben is clearly the most qualified choice to become the new Jacob. ( I guess I mostly feel that Ben deserves a better ending.)

Sure, not all of the questions were answered. What would happen to the world if the Man in Black left the island? What is the Heart of the Island exactly? Where are they? Not everything needs to be handed to us on a silver platter, and with LOST, it really shouldn't. A show like LOST needed to end with uncertainty, so we are able to form our own conclusions.

Overall, I enjoyed the finale. It's a nice final chapter of the amazing story of LOST, a show I will forever cherish as a truly ground-breaking, episodic journey of a plane crash, death, second chances in between, and the afterlife of these people who deeply cared for one another and touched our lives.

R.I.P. Flight 815!!!

(as well as Others)

Jack Shephard

James ‘Sawyer’ Ford

Kate Austen

Hugo ‘Hurley’ Reyes

Sayid Jarrah

Charlie Pace

Claire Littleton

Jin Kwon

Sun Kwon

Desmond Hume

Juliet Burke

John Locke

Ben Linus

And the rest...…

After such a tragic, yet touching ending, watching Jimmy Kimmel spend time with the cast was a nice side of comic relief.

I love Kimmel’s theory of how the entire series focuses on Jack’s test of life. It was great to see most of, but not all of, this magnificent cast come together to reflect on the exciting adventures we joined them on.

I hope Terry O’Quinn and Michael Emerson do a show together. Even if Jimmy’s idea of magicians who solve crime may be a bit of a stretch. Though, who wouldn’t want to see these two in a comedy?

Kimmel asked great questions; not everyone really gave full answers. I bet everyone in that room and on stage interpreted their own theories of the ending.

And the alternate endings were hilarious. Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse took on Survivor, The Sopranos, and Newhart shows.

I can’t stress it enough how much I’ll miss LOST, and it’s clear that Jimmy Kimmel feels the same way as I do.

It was a good ending, it could have used a bit more finesse at the end of it. I've got to say that, the scenes with Ben at the end (both in front of the church and on the island) were my favorite.

Also worth noting, O'Quinn and Emerson are/were trying to pitch a new show together for, I think TNT. I don't what's up with it, other than that.

Oh and, I told you about Lapidus.

It was a good ending, it could have used a bit more finesse at the end of it. I've got to say that, the scenes with Ben at the end (both in front of the church and on the island) were my favorite.

Also worth noting, O'Quinn and Emerson are/were trying to pitch a new show together for, I think TNT. I don't what's up with it, other than that.

Oh and, I told you about Lapidus.

What ending would you have preferred?

I will watch any show Terry O' Quinn and Michael Emerson do. Both are extraordinary actors. O' Quinn has done a lot of television work, and it's great that he wants to continue doing that. As for Matthew Fox, he said he's finished with TV and wants to go off and do movies. Josh Holloway is willing to give movies a shot for two years. If that doesn't work (which I wouldn't understand why), then he'll do another show.

Yes, yes. You were right about Lapidus, Mike V. You called that one! I'm so glad I was wrong. He played an important part in the finale.

• 1 month later...

I saw the finale a couple of hours ago. Wow. Gotta let that sink in a bit. My first reaction: pretty good, but I expected a bit more suspense, especially in terms of the final duel between Jack and Smokey. It all went down a bit too fast I think, but I'm pretty satisfied with the very end and all the major character resolutions. Thankfully they didn't try to answer all the questions, so it's somewhat open to interpretation.

So the sideways are actually the epilogue and kind of a way-station between death and the afterlife or maybe reincarnation? Interesting. I guess that takes place a few decades in the future, depending on when the last one of them eventually died.

I saw the finale a couple of hours ago. Wow. Gotta let that sink in a bit. My first reaction: pretty good, but I expected a bit more suspense, especially in terms of the final duel between Jack and Smokey. It all went down a bit too fast I think, but I'm pretty satisfied with the very end and all the major character resolutions. Thankfully they didn't try to answer all the questions, so it's somewhat open to interpretation.

So the sideways are actually the epilogue and kind of a way-station between death and the afterlife or maybe reincarnation? Interesting. I guess that takes place a few decades in the future, depending on when the last one of them eventually died.

Glad you got to see it. And I agree with your thoughts on the final duel between Jack and Smokey. It really felt rushed.

It would've been weird had they answered every single question in the finale. That would've been too much to take in.

I'm happy with it enough to not think that I wasted my time watching the six seasons. But I did not predict that ending.

• 1 month later...

LOST Season 6 and Complete Series out on DVD on Aug. 24th.

Included, a 12-min. epilogue titled "The New Man in Charge" featuring Hurley and Ben. More Ben Linus! Whoo-Hoo! :P

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, the epilogue was pointless really. You could tell the writers hearts are not in explaining things to the fans. I certainly enjoyed seeing Ben Linus one last time though.

Yeah, the epilogue was pointless really. You could tell the writers hearts are not in explaining things to the fans. I certainly enjoyed seeing Ben Linus one last time though.

Yeah, out of all the things that they could have explained from the show,

I didn't need to know why the hell the DHARMA Initiative had animals on the island.

• 2 weeks later...

LOST didn't win any Emmys the other night. How come Michael Emerson didn't win? :blink:

At least Jimmy Fallon provided the show with a heartfelt farewell--My favorite moment of the evening. :)