RAW Studios at Long Beach Comicon!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AdminGuyX

Looks like a great time was had by all!

Well . . . except Mark maybe . . . he looks like he's trying to figure out why his food is still moving or something.

Though I'm sorry for Malone to be yanked, a screening of The Mist in B&W would have been very cool.

So is Chris Jane looking to follow in his brothers footsteps and get into acting?

Guest AdminGuyX

Ah, I gotcha. That's very cool. I worked with some folks in Tampa who did local theater at the Italian Club in Ybor City (where The Punisher was partially filmed) and I have to say I really enjoyed the shows I went to see, and I enjoyed hanging around those folks quite a bit.

Now that we're way off topic . . .

:)

• 1 year later...

I switched this thread over to the official LBCC thread since this is now an annual thing.

We just finished our second LBCC show Halloween weekend and had a great time.

Mike Hess, with the help of our pal, Chris Frobose got our booth set up on Thursday before the show - Thanks guys!

Tom and I were invited to take part in the opening ceremonies but alas, it was I alone who faced the ravenous crowd . . . er . . .

OK I was with the City Councilman of Long Beach, J. Scott Campbell, and the event coordinators too, but no Tom!

Tom actually let us know a few days before that he could not make it early on Friday because his daughter was in a school play.

Yeah, I think I'd have missed opening ceremonies too ;)

Anyway, they made me talk to everyone, which was strange but painless and then we kicked off the weekend.

Friday for us was only a few hours at the booth since the show did not officially open until 1pm.

At 5pm I had to head over to a bar next door to do my thing for the Hero Initiative.

People bid on or purchased tickets to come hang out with Tom Jane, Jimmy Palmiotti, Dave Johnson, Dan Panosian, and myself. We had a blast.

There was a dude walking around with a guitar, singing tunes for the patrons, and he wasn't too damn bad either.

Naturally, TJ gravitated towards that guy and was soon singing and playing with the dude, entertaining everyone in the joint.

I was just tying on a sweet buzz when we had to eject ourselves for . . .

Dark Country in 3D! Since LBCC actually fell on Halloween this year we decided that it was the right place to do Tom's annual Halloween screening.

Great response from the crowd and once again, THE STEREO CLUB OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA made the 3D a reality.

Thank you Eric and the rest of the bunch! We did a little Q&A after the show and then passed out some of our rare Dark Country cast and crew T shirts.

Fun night!

Saturday night we screened Dark Country AGAIN, only this time Tom and I did a LIVE commentary during the showing of the film.

That was a lot of fun, and we DO have audio of it! Hopefully we can post that and perhaps you all can listen to us while you watch in order to get inside the mind of the creators.

Though I must say, it was difficult NOT to go all Mystery Science Theater 3000 on our own film ;) Fun stuff.

Too bad we didn't have Noeland on hand with his trusty equipment! Somehow we haven't yet been able to collide at the right show with Noeland.

Someday it will happen and we'll have some sweet video coverage of one of these things.

Sunday was a short day as many of us had to get back to our children to take them out trick or treating.

However, I was blindsided by a visit from an old, dear friend late Sunday afternoon, out of the blue. That made my weekend.

Aside from gashing open my big toe on some cement steps right before we left it was a fantastic time.

It's amazing the amount of interviews we did. I've never seen so many journalists/amateur journalists at a show outside of SDCC.

Some of that content is beginning to surface, in fact I was just sent one this morning, so check it out if so inclined ;)

I had my camera on hand and yet somehow neglected to take a single photograph.

A lot of people were snapping pics though so I'll see what I can do about finding some and posting here.

Big thanks to the RAW crew and the support of our friends - Mike Hess, Kristyn Humphreys, Chris Frobose, Brian McQuery, and Tim Daly!!!!!!!!!!

- TB

Yay! Another success for the RAW Warriors! So glad to hear that everyone had a great time.

That would be so awesome to hear the LIVE commentary you guys did for Dark Country. I wanna see Dark Country in 3D so badly. That was one lucky crowd. ;)

Nice interview, Tim. :)

I'm making this a must show for next year. It looks and sounds like a great show. And the interview was great but nothing about Red Sky Diary. I'm amped for it!

I'm making this a must show for next year. It looks and sounds like a great show. And the interview was great but nothing about Red Sky Diary. I'm amped for it!

I'm saving the Red Sky Diary scoop for Noeland ;)

It's all about the tools I use and some commentary on my work, etc . . .

Hope ya dig ;)

- TB

Tim, I was wondering what kind of camera you use? Do you still use the Pentax you mention in Archtype?

Not really. I still use that Pentax K-1000 for personal stuff but for work I use my sadly out of date Canon 10-D

Sometimes I rent a Canon 5-D which has much better resolution.

;)

- TB

Years ago, when I was playing in bands and playing clubs and shit I also would interview other bands and eventually started taking pictures while I was at it. A friend who was a photographer used a Pentax K-1000 and so I picked one up and goddamn that thing was awesome.

A Junkie chick who lived upstairs from me stole it and hocked it. I almost killed her. I'd love to get my hands on one now.

Guest AdminGuyX

Great interviews Tim. I especially like the talk of tools and techniques. I never get sick of those subjects. In retrospect I really should have bent your ear more than I did in Indy for that stuff. :)

YES I will eventually put my lens to the RAW team. Sooner than later I hope! I'd of loved to have been there this year. Since missing the first LBCC I've kind of been attached to the idea of attending that show before SDCC, but you know . . . getting out the west coast in general is something I'm dying to do anyway.

Red Sky Diary? YES? ;)

LBCC is one of my favorite shows to do, aside from the opportunity to hang out with all my RAW friends, the support we get from this convention is first class. Mike Scigliano and his team go out of their way not only to ensure that we are able to get set up, but that we are comfortable and happy throughout the entire show.

This year I was able to take a day off early and set up on the Thursday before the show. Chris Frobose drove out to meet me there and help me get everything set up, making it a lot easier than doing it with just myself. Scigliano set it up so I could actually drive my vehicle onto the show floor, making the unload unbelievably easy.

Of course my favorite part is the exceptional list of friends I get to spend time with throughout the show: Tim, Tom, Kristyn, Frobose, Brian McQuery, Jordan Raskin, Tim Daley, Mark Walters, and one of Tom's new assistants, Zack Ketz. Unlike the San Diego show, I had plenty of time to wander the floor and catch with an even larger list of friends.

The screenings were a blast. Tom and Tim are exceptional hosts and I always get to hear something new about the experience of movie making, every time they do Q&A. The second screening with live commentary was very MST3000, and it was AWESOME, ENTERTAINING, and FUNNY.

Tom was invited to do an introduction to the animated Jonah Hex screening and I got a chance to talk to one of the event organizers. He and I had the opportunity to share some stories about how Tom got the role in JH. Afterwards he offered to send me a Blu-Ray of the animated shorts. I received them the following week and to my surprise, it turns out that Steve Niles wrote and did audio commentary on the Specter short, which my good friend, Dan Norton did the art design on.

The most exciting and unexpected personal event during the show, was that I got video interviewed about Shattered Empire. Mr. Gus Summers, from "The IN Show" and I were sharing a common interest in martial arts and I told him a little about the Shattered Empire concept. The next day he asked if he could talk to me more about it and I promptly agreed. Little did I know that it would include a video camera and microphone. So needless to say I was self conscious and nervous as hell. I still haven't watched it personally, but people tell me it isn't bad.

http://www.theinshow.com/lbcc/mikehess.html

The title introduces me as a Comic Creator (I still need to create one) and a Philosopher (I am opinionated), but I'll take whatever I can get :lol:

It was another GREAT RAW show and I am excited for the next one.

Mike

The most exciting and unexpected personal event during the show, was that I got video interviewed about Shattered Empire. Mr. Gus Summers, from "The IN Show" and I were sharing a common interest i martial arts and I told him a little about the Shattered Empire concept. The next day he asked if he could talk to me more about it and I promptly agreed. Little did I know that it would include a video camera and microphone. So needless to say I was self conscious and nervous as hell. I still haven't watched it personally, but people tell me it isn't bad.

Mike

GREAT, GREAT interview! I'm really interested in your moral/ethical color wheel. But I went to your website and it wouldn't load. :(

KDEDU and JWEBER,

I really appreciate the feedback.

I posted the image and description in the Shattered Empire thread.

I'd like to try and troubleshoot why you can't access the image the image/site, if either of you gets a chance to PM me.

Many thanks,

Mike

KDEDU and JWEBER,

I really appreciate the feedback.

I posted the image and description in the Shattered Empire thread.

I'd like to try and troubleshoot why you can't access the image the image/site, if either of you gets a chance to PM me.

Many thanks,

Mike

AHA! Just checked it again & it worked, when to the wiki, right?

• 4 weeks later...