Bad Planet and Alien Pig Farm 3000 - trade collections!

Got some great news -

Bad Planet and Alien Pig Farm 3000 will be released in collected trade format this summer!

Tom and I will be releasing a super-fucking-mondo-cool OVERSIZED hardcover Black and White Trade edition of Bad Planet set for a July/SDCC release. This trade collects Volume 1 (issue's 1-6) as well as including a cover gallery where naturally you can drool all over the original black and white line art created by Bernie Wrightson, Mark Schultz, Dave Stevens, Lewis LaRosa, Jim Daly, and myself. Kaluta's cover was painted so that's going in the gallery as a greyscale reproduction. Same greyscaling will also be employed on the Dave Kendall painted Convict origin pages from issue #5. There will be no 3D in this edition.

So yeah, black and white oversized hardcover limited to 1000 copies. You get to see all the work that Jim, Lewis, and I put into this puppy with no color to stand in it's way. We love what Grant did with the colors but we decided even before issue #1 was released that we'd release a black and white version when the book went to trade. The book is 9.25" X 12.25", the same size as my artbook Archetype and also the awesome EC Comics collected hardcover editions. Nice and big so the art can breathe in a larger format.

Introduction by Thomas Jane, afterword by TB, with TJ, and Niles.

The Bad Planet art contest winners will not be included in this edition. We're saving that for the color trade paperback which will have a much higher print run and wider availability.

Yer gonna love the cover - It's jet black front and back with no trade dress or other annoying indicia. Just an Alien Deathspider embossed (actually de-bossed) onto the front cover. Only the spine of the book will have titles and credit text. I believe we're doing that in a metallic copper. Should be pretty goddamn handsome. Not sure just yet what the book will retail for. More news on that ASAP.

Color fans don't fret - The black and white trade is a special advanced release. We plan on releasing the collection in full color after this summer.

Tom and I are publishing the collections ourselves, free from Image, so the BP and APF 3000 trades are a 100% RAW Studios release.

In other news, we'll also be releasing Alien Pig Farm 3000 in trade paperback.

APF3K is written by Todd (My Bloody Valentine 3D) Farmer, story by Todd and Tom, art by the illustrious Don Marquez.

APF is 96 pages and collects the entire 4 issue mini series. The TPB will also feature a full color cover gallery by the series cover artists, the legendary William (Wizards, Return Of The Living Dead) Stout, and the amazing, incredible Mark (Xenozoic Tales, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs) Schultz.

Introduction by Todd Farmer.

The collected edition will also be released in July at Comicon International - San Diego.

Again, no retail price has been decided yet. More news on that ASAP.

Here's a peak at some of the goodies -

Title page from Bad Planet BW, HC, trade edition -

BPBWTPBTitlepageF1.jpg

Title page from the Alien Pig Farm 3000 TPB -

APFTPBtitlepage.jpg

- TB

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to keep it around $34.95 but I'm not exactly sure what the print run is costing yet.

Perhaps a bit pricey for a black and white book but we're sparing no expense on the quality.

For us that's more important than turning a profit. We'll be satisfied if it breaks even ;)

Bottom line, we have to charge about double the print cost so the wholesale price to retailers doesn't end up costing US money.

Tom and I will make a final decision soon. We'll keep ya's posted.

Also, the hardcover BP trade will be approximately 148 pages.

APF trade will likely be in the $17.95 range as it's the same quality as a lot of the Dark Horse trades like Hellboy and B.P.R.D.

- TB

Sounds good. I'm not too worried about the price, as long as I get the money stored away in time (extra cash can be hard to come by, darn kids ;) ) Though, I do love and appretiate the fact that this project has been about the passion of putting out a good product.

Are there plans to sell this on the site, or would I have to order through my comic book store? I'm not sure how fast 1000 copies will sell, but I'd like to get my hands on one as soon as they hit the shelves.

• 2 weeks later...

Both trades should be available through Diamond and available on the shelves or by order from your local retailer.

We're working out a way to get the books to Amazon as well. More news soon.

- TB

• 3 weeks later...

HOLY HOT DAMN ON A MOTORCYCLE!

I was lucky enough yesterday to get a look at advanced copies of both of these books while visiting with my compadre in crime Thomas Jane.

All I can say is that I am EXTREMELY proud of these Trades. They are BOTH FANTASTIC!

Pig Farm is absolutely gorgeous, really excellent quality softcover edition.

Beautiful cover, cover stock, and paper.

The color printing is lush and delicious, actually much better than the comic versions.

WOW. Seriously, I'm falling all over myself.

Farmer is going to have a cow when he sees one.

Bad Planet? OHmyFUCKINGlord.

I love, Love, LOVE it!

The cover alone, the black on black de-bossing of the Alien Deathspider is a wonder to behold.

It's just sooooo fucking sexy.

The book is big, BIG, and yeah, the artwork breathes like nobody's business.

You really can see all the work that went into each panel.

Some pages even look like originals with a little grit and dirt that wasn't totally cleaned up and even some blue line dimensionary line-age from the paperstock showing through. It's got warts but they are awesome warts. I LOVE that it's not all fucking precious and slick.

Ahhh, black and white, nice and big, I was fucking drooling and I don't get that excited very often anymore when I see my stuff in print.

We are over the moon excited folks.

Can't wait for you to see them!

Hope we don't sell out at Comicon.

KIDDING.

Not sure yet when it will be available through Diamond. Maybe we can offer them here to our members once the smoke clears from SDCC.

If you have a friend going, make sure you have them pick you up a copy cause we'll all be there to sign 'em too - TJ, me, Jim Daly, Todd Farmer, and maybe even Don Marquez. Some of the cover artists will be in attendance as well - Bill Stout, Mark Schultz, Wrightson . . .

I'm out of breath.

- TB

Copied from earlier in the thread -

"The book is 9.25" X 12.25", the same size as my artbook Archetype and also the awesome EC Comics collected hardcover editions."

Oh man, it's just awesome ;)

- TB

HOLY HOT DAMN ON A MOTORCYCLE!

You really can see all the work that went into each panel.

Some pages even look like originals with a little grit and dirt that wasn't totally cleaned up and even some blue line dimensionary line-age from the paperstock showing through. It's got warts but they are awesome warts. I LOVE that it's not all fucking precious and slick.

Ahhh, black and white, nice and big, I was fucking drooling and I don't get that excited very often anymore when I see my stuff in print.

- TB

Yes, yes, fuckin' YES! That's exactly what I was hoping for. I have a Calvin & Hobbes book where the original art was scanned in; you can see tape and white out and brush strokes. That's so much cooler than plain ol' black and white.

Tim, I think I've made it clear that I will cry for a year if I'm not able to get one.. *sniff*

i'm so happy to see Tim loved the books as much as i do. it's so damn cool to see all that hard work compiled so lovingly into one gigantic tome. comic art fans everywhere should rejoice! this baby sets a standard for quality, and it's all Tim Bradstreet's hard work that got it to such lofty heights of excellence. man it is so sexy.

and farmers PIG FARM is exquisite! for some reason the color art looks even better than it did printed in the comic editions. Don Marquez will be howling at the moon, i hope. and what a story! it's funny and human and full of aliens. it looks great in the no gloss, matte finish paper. and the matte cover really makes it stand out. NO ONE hardly does this, and it'll stand out on the shelf. we'll letcha'all know where to pick up a copy after SDCC. it's looking like a hell of a show, with the screening of Give 'em Hell, Malone at 10 PM Saturday night, and the new TPB's of our comics, and even a DARK COUNTRY POSTER in the works. i may even have a trailer set up a the booth, if Sony let's me do it.

but all that's off topic - the new Bad Planet Trade and ALIEN PIG FARM 3000 trade are gonna rock the halls! everyone going should be sure to hunt down all the artists and get the Hancocks all over it!

I need to discuss this with Tom but I have a plan to have X amount of books signed by the creators while we're all together at Comicon.

I know we want to make an offer to Bud Plant as they mainly go for signed editions only, but I'm hoping to do at least 50 signed editions we can offer to our friends here at the forum. It'd have to be a Paypal deal and I'd either ship the books from here or TJ could set up something with our new RAW assistant Kristyn, and she could ship the books out to folks directly from TJ's garage ;)

One thing's for sure, our family here will have ample opportunity to get their hands on the goodies.

We'll be setting prices soon and I'll keep everyone informed.

- TB

I need to discuss this with Tom but I have a plan to have X amount of books signed by the creators while we're all together at Comicon.

I know we want to make an offer to Bud Plant as they mainly go for signed editions only, but I'm hoping to do at least 50 signed editions we can offer to our friends here at the forum. It'd have to be a Paypal deal and I'd either ship the books from here or TJ could set up something with our new RAW assistant Kristyn, and she could ship the books out to folks directly from TJ's garage ;)

One thing's for sure, our family here will have ample opportunity to get their hands on the goodies.

- TB

Dibs!

- TB

Add my name to the list please??!! I have got to get me one of these! :lol:

- TB

Fuckin' PayPal, figures.

Well I say paypal cause we're not equipped presently to take CC orders.

I'm sure that we could do personal checks too. Soon as they clear books could be shipped.

TJ and I have been wrestling with the problem of bringing an online store into reality so that we can make books, comics, t-shirts, art proofs, etc . . . available to the general public. But we haven't made much headway. Now that we have a RAW staff member maybe she can pick up our slack and help further the idea to reality. Hopefully we'll get cracking on this right after SDCC.

- tb