kwiat_skye

Deep Blue Sea

The first time I saw this movie it scared the hell out of me, I was 13 and a pussy! lol but as I got older it got a bit cheesier to me...

Watch 'Driven' and your opinion might change for the worse, although I have to say, apart from Deep Blue Sea, The Long Kiss Goodnight was kickass.

"The Long Kiss Goodnight" sucked, as did "Cutthroat Island". I'm not a big fan of Renny Harlin as a director, but I do love "Deep Blue Sea". Mainly because of the cast, but the direction was pretty good in this one.

I don't like "Driven" but I like "The Long Kiss Goodnight" ("Au revoir à jamais" in french). :)

"The Long Kiss Goodnight" sucked, as did "Cutthroat Island". I'm not a big fan of Renny Harlin as a director, but I do love "Deep Blue Sea". Mainly because of the cast, but the direction was pretty good in this one.

Say what now? :blink:

Die Hard 2 and Cliffhanger.... Good fuckin' movies. Also Long Kiss Goodnight. Remember renting Deep Blue Sea mainly because of Samuel L. Jackson, and was a bit shocked that he got killed off so early. Re watched it a couple of weeks ago (along with Waterworld. KICK ASS!), and this time I thought he had way more screen time. I don't want to compare movies, but it is definitely the best "shark movie" after Jaws.

Also it ain't easy coming from Finland, starting to make huge hollywood movies.. I have a huge amount of respect for Renny Harlins' accomplishments. Too bad with Cutthroat Island and the lukewarm response at the box office for LKG.. :unsure:

Long Kiss Goodnight and Cutthroat Island were both riddled with cliches, bad dialogue, and some truly ridiculous scenes. (Like the water wheel torture in LKG :wacko: - gimme a break!) But there were a few great stunts and action sequences in both, though not enough to make the movies rewatchable again and again for me. I liked Die Hard though. Great script, great acting. and great action sequences. But he's one of those directors who's hit or miss. And he can't really hit one out of the park that often, in my book.

Kind of like Jan de Bont, who did the horrible Speed 2:Cruise Control. Not even a great cast (Bullock, Patrick, Dafoe) could salvage that one.

But Harlin did a good job with Deep Blue Sea. It was a so-so script, but he had a great cast (loved Thomas and LL Cool J, and Saffron Burrows wasn't bad either). Add to that Samuel L. Jackson, even in a brief appearance, and it's definitely rewatchable.

I am a fan of the serie of "Die Hard", "Speed 2" was really useless, lol, and what I like in "Long Kiss Goodnight" it's when Geena Davis cut vegetables ... :P

I don't want to compare movies, but it is definitely the best "shark movie" after Jaws.

Yep !!! :)

For my money, Jaws and Deep Blue Sea are the only shark movies worth wathing anyway.... except for Casper Van Dien's "Shark Attack" obviously :P

except for Casper Van Dien's "Shark Attack" obviously :P

This one, I didn't dare to see him... :lol:

Guest AdminGuyX

Renny just makes cheesy flicks. I can't take any of his work seriously. Deep Blue Sea was just a fun movie, and worked on that level. Popcorn munching goodness. Long Kiss was the same for me. Can't be taken seriously or you will hate it.

Cuttthroat tried to be high adventure, but the movie just didn't work on any level.

You know LKG was written to be a brutal spy thriller. Shane Black's original script was pretty bleak, and much darker. I think Renny was tyring to give it the Lethal Weapon treatment (which Black also wrote to be a darker film) and give it a lot of comedy to offset the darkness, and somewhere in there just ended up making an action comedy. I liked it, but I have to be in the mood to sit through the whole thing.

My girlfriend loves the movie though. ;)

My girlfriend loves the movie though. ;)

It means that she has good taste. :D

Man, The Mythbusters love the crap out of Deep Blue Sea! This time, they even paid for a clip from the movie (it was sped up just a bit, so Thomas sounded all cute and chipmunkey). I think it's episode 12 for season 6. Can't find any dates for episode to show again. :unsure:

So did the Mythbusters prove that Sharks can swim backwards or that LL Cool J has some discernable acting talent :P ... only kidding, to be fair he was pretty good in Deep Blue Sea and Any Given Sunday

I just found this online, a blogger who spotted a tribute in Deep Blue Sea to Jaws.

Read on only if you've seen both movies, or don't care if about possible plot spoilers:

"Now, I'm a geek in lots of ways, heheh, but I just keep being surprised by the depth and magnitude. See, I just figured out that the license plate Carter wrangles from the tiger shark's teeth at the beginning of Deep Blue Sea is a tribute to Jaws, when Hooper hacks open the tiger shark's stomach to see if the kid's remains are in there and prove that the caught shark isn't the one that's been rampaging.

Louisiana plate number 007 981.

I love it.

See, I hadn't watched Jaws since I was a kid, and I got to thinking I should. So, I rented it, and when Hooper tosses that license plate at Chief Brody, I got to thinking about Carter's BS explanation about how a shark with a Louisiana license plate in its mouth ended up in Aquatica's range. The little wheels in my dedicated geek's brain started turning, and I put DBS back in and, viola.

Louisiana plate number 007 981."

http://letters2charlie.blogspot.com/2009/0...charlie_12.html

Jen

Aww, that is TOO funny! I never noticed that, but then those little details often escape me on the first five or six viewings. ;)

:lol: I'll have to see if my DVD has the director commentary on it. I used to buy everything on tape, and it took me a while to switch to DVDs, and when I made the switch, I don't think explored all the options on the DVDs, although, for Tripper, I think I did listen to all the commentary, but that's because I knew Tom was involved in it... :P

Did you also notice that the 3 sharks also died in a verrrrrrrrrry similar way that the sharks in the first 3 Jaws movies did?

Oh, goodness Raffi - this calls for a Shark Movie double-feature! Jaws and Deep Blue Sea, yeah! Just in time for...well, I guess summer's not here yet where I am, but maybe it'll get the mind off all the April showers and chilly weather.

BTW, Deep Blue Sea is/will be on TV in the U.S.; I noticed it when I was checking out the TV listings for other things, but didn't write down the exact info. So, if anyone hasn't seen it yet, or dropped a dime to buy it, check it out on TV hopefully. :)

Jen

Yup, they play it on tv often. That's how I first saw it. It's a fun movie I think. Cheesy effects but a fun movie. Good actors as well.

Here's the link to a detailed review of the Deep Blue Sea DVD, Special Edition,

including a discussion about Extras and Audio and Video quality. A good read.

"The film is extreme, silly, loud and entertaining--all things that make it

worth watching. Throw together three eight-thousand pound Mako sharks with a

desperate scientist, a capable but down-on-his-luck grease man,..."

http://www.dvdtown.com/reviews/dvd-deep-blue-sea/7095

Jen

Yup, they play it on tv often. That's how I first saw it. It's a fun movie I think. Cheesy effects but a fun movie. Good actors as well.

It's been playing on the fuckin' Weather Channel.

It's been playing on the fuckin' Weather Channel.

The weather channel? LOL that's really funny! :lol: