kwiat_skye

Deep Blue Sea

I was thinking about this in favorite SciFi films, but thought it would fit in this section better.

This is one of my favorite movies for a few reasons. One of which is I finally figured out "that guy" was Thomas Jane and started looking for other films he had been in. But also becaue, everytime I see the scene where the humongous shark chomps on Franklin (Samuel L. Jackson) it just cracks me up. Here is an intelligent man speaking extrememly loudly next to the pool where he knows the sharks are, but whatever CHOMP!

Then, of course, there is the obligatory "hot chick in her underwear" scene. And for some reason they made a CG look to the shark before it chomped on Susan like it was sneering at her - sort of human-like. Apparently, they didn't think the steely dead eyes of a shark were scary enough. I'm sure if this filmn as made today, the CG would be much better. But really, the death that was the most gripping to me was when Janice went under water in the access tunnel and Carter was hanging upside down trying desperately to reach her. Sometimes it's what you don't show in a movie that is the most effective.

Just my 2 cents.

You're right about this one. Some of the CGI was really cheesy. The sharks looked so totally fake in some scenes, especially in the lab when the doctor is sticking the needle into the shark's brain.

My favorite character in the movie, aside from Thomas' of course (I can't remember his name), was LL Cool J as the cook. He was hysterical and stole every scene he was in. Loved the scene when he barbecued the shark, but not before he tells the shark "You ate my bird!" ( He hated the bird anyway though)

The death scene with Janice in the elevator shaft was excellent, but the one that got to me was the guy on the stretcher that gets dropped into the water and the shark grabs the entire thing in his mouth and hurls it at the glass. The look of terror on the guy's face just before he hit the glass was so chilling and you could almost hear the shark laughing to itself as it swam away.

The scene with Samuel Jackson getting eaten was one of those OhmiGod! moments that had me jumping in my seat the first couple of times I saw it. It scared the crap outta me the first few times.

My favorite line in the movie was Thomas at the end when the cook shot the shark and hit him. After he gets away from the shark, he says "Forty feet of shark, and you still hit me!" Too funny!

One of my favorite action/adventure/scifi movies, cheesy CGI notwithstanding. It would be cool to see it remade with today's more advanced technology. I bet they could really make those sharks terrifying.

The only part of the movie I really even liked was Tom Jane. He does good. But the rest of the movie seemed too much like all the Jaws movies combine. LL Cool J kept getting on my nerves. Just my opinion though.

-JO

This was on FX this morning and I was able to catch most of it. I still like this movie. I think the only thing I REALLY didn't like, the somewhat cheesy special effects aside, was the bird getting eaten.

This was on FX this morning and I was able to catch most of it. I still like this movie. I think the only thing I REALLY didn't like, the somewhat cheesy special effects aside, was the bird getting eaten.

Haha yeah there was alot of cheese on this cracker of a movie. But I have to admit when I first saw it the film scared the shit outta me. I have a phobia of the ocean which was caused from a traumatic experience when I was very young and at the same time of this experience it also gave me the deep crazed feeling I get when I see a shark. Now I'm like, the land is ours, the ocean is theirs.

JO

I have to swim against the general tide here and say that I LOVE this movie, in a popcorn thrills actioner kind of way. Maybe because it was the first time I saw Tom, at least from what I remember...

Even the kinda fake-looking sharks scared me...well, okay, maybe not scared, but the action sequences were well-filmed, so you're on the edge of your seat, wondering who will get chopped next, or not. ;)

Jen

Lol, Jen. You're right. As cheesy as this movie is, it's still fun to watch cuz it's got everything, (well, almost) action, suspense, terror, and Thomas.

What else do you need? :lol:

Mediumfan

You know what bugs me though? Online there's a movie pic of Tom and Saffron Burrows kissing (well, their characters are sharing a kiss), but it's not in the movie!!

I know this happens all the time; tons of footage shot, and only some of it used, but I really wish that would have somehow been in the movie, and that their relationship was developed more in the movie.

I know, I know, it would have made Deep Blue Sea come to a screeching halt, at least action-wise, but I still would have liked some more scenes there between the two of them...

Jen

You know what bugs me though? Online there's a movie pic of Tom and Saffron Burrows kissing (well, their characters are sharing a kiss), but it's not in the movie!!

I know this happens all the time; tons of footage shot, and only some of it used, but I really wish that would have somehow been in the movie, and that their relationship was developed more in the movie.

I know, I know, it would have made Deep Blue Sea come to a screeching halt, at least action-wise, but I still would have liked some more scenes there between the two of them...

Jen

From what I remember it was a deleted scene where right before she jumps in the water to sacrifice herself, she grabs him and kisses him then jumps.

JO

From what I remember it was a deleted scene where right before she jumps in the water to sacrifice herself, she grabs him and kisses him then jumps.

JO

Hi JO -

You mention that it's a deleted scene - does that mean it would be on the DVD of the movie, in the extras section? I thought I had combed through all that ages ago, but maybe I missed this?! :lol:

Jen

Oh, and I have another question about the movie - about a particular scene, when Tom and his pal Michael Rappaport (?) are underwater and swimming around, and trying to turn on submerged equipment, and, well...something happens, and Tom frantically starts trying to turn one of those heavy "wheel locks" on a door, to escape a shark --

and here's what I don't get -

The shark zips by Tom, gnashing its teeth, like it was going to chomp Tom (oh, dear!), but it doesn't, and THEN Tom opens door and swims to momentary safety...

Now WHY would the shark NOT chomp Tom's character when it had the chance??

I know, stupid question, or too involved/in-depth for a popcorn thriller, but I like my movies and plots to be logical and sound. :lol:

Jen

Oh, and I have another question about the movie - about a particular scene, when Tom and his pal Michael Rappaport (?) are underwater and swimming around, and trying to turn on submerged equipment, and, well...something happens, and Tom frantically starts trying to turn one of those heavy "wheel locks" on a door, to escape a shark --

and here's what I don't get -

The shark zips by Tom, gnashing its teeth, like it was going to chomp Tom (oh, dear!), but it doesn't, and THEN Tom opens door and swims to momentary safety...

I know, stupid question, or too involved/in-depth for a popcorn thriller, but I like my movies and plots to be logical and sound. :lol:

Jen

I came up with several reasons. A) He's supposed to live and be a survivor. B) The shark senses what he is doing and sees that it will work for them in the long run, as in they'll get 'em all if he gets in.

Hope that helps.

JO

Hi JO -

You mention that it's a deleted scene - does that mean it would be on the DVD of the movie, in the extras section? I thought I had combed through all that ages ago, but maybe I missed this?! :lol:

Jen

I don't believe it's on the DVD. One of those deals where it was shot and left on the cutting room floor and used as a promotional still. That's what I've heard.

JO

I always had the impression that Carter was too close to the door frame/wall for sharky to be able to chomp on him without running it's head into the wall.

But, JO's idea that sharky let him go on purpose because it suited their plan is something I hadn't thought of before. Very interesting. Not sure I can give the sharkies that much credit.

Jen

I would have liked to have seen that relationship developed in the movie a little more as well. It was obvious that Carter had the hots for Susan, but she always shut him down. Couldn't really tell if it was just because she was so focused on achieving her research goal that she just blocked everything else out, or if she really wasn't interested in him.

Seems like a lot of interpersonal stuff was cut to keep the "pace" of the movie going.

Was cool, though, watching the expressions on Thomas Jane's face change as Carter fluctuated between being attracted to, and horrified by, Susan.

I was flipping news channels this morning when I saw a clip from Deep Blue Sea on FOX news. "What you've done is knocked us to the bottom of the God*beep* food chain." It was their intro to a story about increased shark attacks off Acapulco which some people are attributing to all the dead bodies that the drug cartels are, allegedly, dumping in the ocean. Hemmer did at least say where the clip was from.

Sort of freaked me out since my brain was still waking up, and suddenly I hear Thomas Jane talking. :blink: Need more coffee.

For me, "Deep blue see" is a kind of "Jaws" of modern times, and more fun ! By the way, I remember that I was afraid that her character will be devoured by a shark, I had a few cold sweats ... but no, it survives because he is the hero of the film !

Personally, I love this kind of character and hero (perhaps because I am a woman ? lol)

Us guys liked him too.

Just not for his looks, but for being a badass shark tamer.

The guy was basically playing Quint's bastard son.

-TL

I am not talking only about the appearance, but style "hero, brave, intelligent, ...". I like it and I think that it makes to dream women AND men... ;)

Notice how all 3 sharks died the way the sharks died in Jaws 1-3?

I loved the score for the movie by Trevor Rabin. Lots of cheesy ass CGI (Sam Jackson's death for one). Jane was the shit in this film though. A bad ass shark tamer.

-Raffi

Notice how all 3 sharks died the way the sharks died in Jaws 1-3?

I loved the score for the movie by Trevor Rabin. Lots of cheesy ass CGI (Sam Jackson's death for one). Jane was the shit in this film though. A bad ass shark tamer.

-Raffi

Oh not, me I liked this film, I discovered Thomas in this film and I liked at once:) this beautiful guy... LOL ;)

Patti

I love this film, he is one of my favorites !

And I love the score by Trevor Rabin ! B)

Yeah it is a great film. This is basically the first film I really "saw" Tom Jane in. there were some earlier things but didn't realize it was him until later.

It's on TV now and then and we always watch it. Of course I'm from Finland and a huge Renny Harlin fan so...

Of course I'm from Finland and a huge Renny Harlin fan so...

Watch 'Driven' and your opinion might change for the worse, although I have to say, apart from Deep Blue Sea, The Long Kiss Goodnight was kickass.