Sign in to follow this  
sidewaysgaze

Arrested Development TV show - The One Where They Build A House episode

yes, Tom guest-starred in one episode of the late, lamented Arrested Development TV series - and, get this, he starred as himself, except that Portia de Rossi's character had no idea who he was and thought he was a homeless guy - but it turns out he's just researching the role for a film...I think...really snarky funny.

Jen

"I just want my kids back."

I really wish I could score one of each of those Junk and Homeless Dad posters!

Does anyone know what season Thomas appeared in Arrested Development? I want to get the dvds, but I'm not sure if I want the whole series, so I thought I'd start with the episodes he was in.

Mediumfan

He was in the second episode of season 2 if I remember. Honestly, I think you'll like the show enough to get them all. Fox were fools to cancel it.

Thanks for that. I'll look into it. But I thought he was in more than one episode. I thought that the story with the girl (deRossi) lasted for a couple of episodes.

Nah, its just a one off. The Homeless Dad and Junk posters can be spotted in a few episodes after (and Henry Winkler makes a Tom Jane reference at some point).

What's funny, or would make you think that Tom continued his guest-spot, is that at the end of the episode they say "...and in the next episode..." and have a little segement with Tom that makes it look like that's what will happen later on, but nothing does happen later on...

Ok, I hope that made sense! :lol:

Jen

Oh, also, sorry I can't post the actual photo, at least for now, of the other Arrested Development poster - the one called "Junk" - "They Shoot Heroin, Don't They?" (instead of "They Shoot Horses..." - but if you go to my 3rd Thomas Jane Yahoo Group at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Thomas_Jane_3/

and then go to the Photos section, then to the Arrested Development album - it's the 2nd pic there, as well as the "Homeless Dad" poster. :)

Sorry to drag you all the way there, but I don't have the poster uploaded anywhere viable in order to add it here as an image...

Jen

I remember seeing this when there was still hope for Punisher 2. I had no idea TJ was gonna be in the episode, so when I saw him by the liquor store I just said "Well alright".

arrestedlb0.jpg

junknf6.jpg

homelessjq4.jpg

I don't know about you guys, but I think it shoulda been 2 episodes. Not one. Just wasn't enough time for the guy to have some real fun. Same thing with Martin Short, only one episode. Ya can't limit Jiminy.

-TL

Thanks TL for posting the Junk poster. :)

I forget if someone asked about getting this episode with Tom in it, but I found the Tom-related video segments at Kim's Tom Jane Online site. I'm not sure if they still work - here's the link:

http://thomasjane.org/media/video.php

There's also the Elton John music video Tom was in with Terri Hatcher (gee, Tom gets around!). :lol:

Jen

Thanks TL for posting the Junk poster. :)

I forget if someone asked about getting this episode with Tom in it, but I found the Tom-related video segments at Kim's Tom Jane Online site. I'm not sure if they still work - here's the link:

http://thomasjane.org/media/video.php

There's also the Elton John music video Tom was in with Terri Hatcher (gee, Tom gets around!). :lol:

Jen

Thanks for posting those, Jen. That's great. I was able to download all of the clips except the music video, darnit. But I got both of the interviews, which were fantastic. I especially loved the interview on The View. It was fascinating, and Tom is SOOO hot! It was really interesting to hear him talk about his early days in Hollywood and what he went through at the beginning of his career. Cool stuff.

But I can't believe that in that episode of Arrested Development, he was only in it for a total of about a minute and a half. I could have sworn it was more than that. And he really wasn't in the next episode, either? That's weird.

Mediumfan

Yeah, Tom is barely in the episode, but he does make a big and funny impression, in that low-key way of his. You had already mentioned that Arrested Development is being shown on a TV channel called G4.

The G4 channel is repeating this episode (The One Where They Build A House) on Thursday, October 25 at 9:30am EST in USA.

Check your local listings for any differences. :)

Jen

At this link a blogger talks about favorite "guest" on Arrested Development where Tom plays himself, in response to new AV Club list of best guest actors playing themselves:

"...they left out one of our favorites. Thomas Jane showed up (uncredited) in a second season episode of Arrested Development ..."

http://backstage.blogs.com/blogstage/2009/...as-himself.html

Jen

TV's Best of the Decade article - Arrested Development at #4:

"Over three seasons, the show had too many terrific guest stars to salue all of them, but I'd feel guilty if I didn't mention ... the versions of themselves played by Thomas Jane, Judge Reinhold and, especially, Sir Carl Weathers."

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-the-...ted-development

Jen

Boy, Tom has made his mark with this role! He's now on a list of '8 Great Pop Culture Hobos' (well, at least his character is):

"...critically acknowledged actor Thomas Jane plays a fictionalized version of himself, researching a role as a homeless man.

http://www.avclub.com/chicago/articles/8-g...re-hobos,60854/

Jen

I was re-watching the series and never noticed that they did a call back to this bit in the episode "Out on a Limb".

G.O.B.: "I just want my wife back"

Barry Zuckerkorn: "Let's save it for the stand, OK, Tom Jane?

I was re-watching the series and never noticed that they did a call back to this bit in the episode "Out on a Limb".

G.O.B.: "I just want my wife back"

Barry Zuckerkorn: "Let's save it for the stand, OK, Tom Jane?

Hey, I remember that. :lol:

Barry's my favorite character on the show; he says so many hilarious lines.

http://www.vulture.com/article/arrested-development-every-episode-ranked-worst-to-best.html.

All 76 episodes ranked from worst to best.......Our fav comes in at no. 24. Not too shabby.

http://www.vulture.com/article/arrested-development-every-episode-ranked-worst-to-best.html.

All 76 episodes ranked from worst to best.......Our fav comes in at no. 24. Not too shabby.

That is pretty cool. Though you know where I'd rank it. ;)