Tim Bradstreet

Show Your Wares

Jason, your work is nice and gritty man, I really like the feel of it. I know you're 16, do you have a good art teacher in your high school? Because if you do, I would like to suggest something that really helped me in the portrayal of action and movement. It's called gesture drawing.

As the name implies, you're focusing on expressing movement, and gesture, attitude and style. There are a series of drills, so to speak, that allow you to focus. It's really great practice, and sort of helps you flex your artistic muscles in way you probably never knew you could.

In high school my teacher started an art club (my Mom was in it too, as she was friends with my art teacher) and she would have gesture drawing sessions, models would come in (clothed) and we'd run through different drawing drills and see how well we did, and find places to improve. She invited local professional artists to the class, and thier advice and point of view can offer a lot of growth if you're open to it. I still so a lot of gesture work, but I don't do it as often as I'd like to.

Anyway, a good art teacher is invaluable, and as long as they're at your disposal, use em! If you don't have a good teacher that wants to help the young artists in your school, let me know and I'll point you in the direction of some materials. Maybe I should do that anyway . . .

Thanks man, same to your work to, it's great. I did have a art teacher for my first year of highschool... We basically sat and didn't do anything great, and it seemed to easy and boring, so after that year I didn't take it ever again. in middle school I did take art but still wasn't enough for what I wanted to do, but we basically played with clay most of the time there.

I basically self taught myself, and most of the time it's true that with each drawing I do I get better.

But if you have some advice for me, I would love to hear it, I need to learn all I can learn and more.

-Jason

Hey J, your work is fuckin impressive dude! I'm stoked on every shot ya posted (specially on that character "under construction"). You got great skills man, and who cares if you're 16? Ya draw better than me and I've been a legal drinker for years. Keep it up and keep showin us the progress.

-TL

Thanks man, I like the positive feedback.

-Jason

That's great, cabal1. Really good stuff. What medium is that? Paints, inks or what? Do you do all of that by hand or do you use anything digital, like Photoshop, to enhance it? It's really good, whatever you use. Where do you get your inspiration? Are all those conceptual drawings that you came up with, or is there anything that really gives you ideas and gets you motivated?

I myself am completely clueless about digital media. I prefer the old-fashioned way with pencil and charcoal. I like to get my hands dirty, so to speak. I've experimented with pastels, colored pencils, and paints (mostly acrylics) but I always go back to the simplicity of charcoal. There's just something about the starkness of the black & white that appeals to me. But I've never been really good at drawing in great detail, so I try to keep it simple. It doesn't come out as anything super-great, or mind-blowing, but I like the simplicity of it. I mostly do portraits and I like to use photographs, mainly because I don't have a good memory for details.

Mediumfan

Thanks for the feedback Mediumfan, to answer your question most of my art starts with pencil on paper. I like to use vellum or graphics 360 rag paper and sometimes bristol board. I also use alot of black paper with white pencil to get a deep contrast in my drawing or painting. Depending on what kind of mood im in I may scan the drawing or painting and go to work on it in Corel Painter 9.5. Its nice to work in a digital medium for me because in my day job I work in acrylics all day.

Wow, that's really cool, cabal. It's amazing that you do it by hand. Are you a professional artist or something? I'm not. It's just a hobby with me, and I don't spend as much time with it as I should, or could. It's just something that relaxes me. But I like trying new things.

I've always just used regular drawing paper, you know in my sketch pad. I've never tried experimenting with different kinds of paper. Is it harder to work with those papers you mentioned? And drawing with white on black sounds really cool. You've given me some great ideas. I think I'll run to the art store today and see what I can find. Thanks.

mediumfan

The graphics 360 paper and the vellum is actually easier to work with because you can erase much more than if you were working with bristol board, pastels smear very nicely on both those papers so you can get great tonal drawings. The down side to those papers is that they are very thin and wrinkle easly. So if I am doing a piece of " fine art" I will use bristol board or paper, or canvas. And if I am doing something that I know I may want to work with digitaly at some point I will use the vellum or graphics 360.

Thanks for the info. I actually went looking for an art store and couldn't find one (I just moved here). I'm really interested in trying that white on black technique you mentioned. Those other papers that you mentioned also sound interesting. Do those work well with mediums like carbon, graphite, and charcoal?

Mediumfan

I belive the type of black paper I origialy used was Art Againg by Stathmore (I think) but I found a great deal on a black paper made by wausau papers found at the paper kelly store. Its like 250 sheests for 15 bucks (8.5x11). Now realize that its not archival like the strathmore. The vellum and graphics papers are great for charcol or carbon and prizma

Heres some more of my stuff everyone.

Jasonblackandwhite.jpg

Yup thats me. The borders are a lil sloppy though.

TheWolf000.jpg

Here is shedding some more light on my character under construction... But I'm not saying this is the final look of him.. I could change him if I find some things wrong.

TheWolfcolored111.jpg

Here is the colored pic of it. Not the greatest coloring.

Im glad you like it! But I thnk if you love what you do you will never be a hack. If you want to trade anymore info on techniques just let me know

Tim Bradstreet is a personal hero of mine, and definitely a huge influence on my work. This is a Punisher piece I did from a magazine photo. I would like to have been able to shoot my own reference, but Mr. Jane wasn't available to pose for me. ;) Hope you all enjoy!

punisher.jpg

Guest AdminGuyX

Wow, that kicks ass! Very nicely done.

Welcome to the boards, helluva first post!! ;)

Noeland---------

Noeland, thanks a lot. I've never really been a big fan of posting on message boards, but I figured I should join in on my favorite artist's. Looking forward to seeing more great artwork from everyone.

Guest AdminGuyX

Checked out your deviant art gallery, nice stuff man. Can see Tim's influence in there for sure. I know how that is. :) He slightly influenced my work as well. Slightly. :ph34r: (yes, I'm attempting sarcasm again)

And as I've said to some other folks, message boards can sneak up on you! :) Before you know it, you'll have a handful of favorites you read and post in every damn day.

For folks like me who work day jobs with lots of down time, it's a nice way to pass the time, reading and posting messages and artwork.

Anyway, keep on posting! Love to see more of your work.

I'm assuming your using a lot of photo reference, got anything done without it?

Had a nightmare so I thought I'd draw it...sister-christina-brushstrok.jpg

Never went to a Chatholic school so I can't say as I have ever been exposed to any of the Sisters behavior, good or bad, as a STUDENT...I did work as a janitor for a Chatholic school and church waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day, 1974 & 75, so I did get to see some stuff!