Music: what are you currently infatuated with?

Guest AdminGuyX

Depeche Mode is back!! Album #13, Delta Machine, will be out on March 26th. Can't wait! :D

I wrote up a review of the lead single "Heaven" and its video for Adequacy.net where I tried to go more into the meaning of the song's lyrics. Of course it's all open to interpretation, but I thought of a different angle that I haven't read yet as a possibility...

"Depeche Mode is alive and kicking with the imminent release of album #13 and this solemn exaltation about “Heaven”."

http://www.adequacy....he-mode-heaven/

Official Video:

Jen

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depeche Mode is back!! Album #13, Delta Machine, will be out on March 26th. Can't wait! :D

I wrote up a review of the lead single "Heaven" and its video for Adequacy.net where I tried to go more into the meaning of the song's lyrics. Of course it's all open to interpretation, but I thought of a different angle that I haven't read yet as a possibility...

"Depeche Mode is alive and kicking with the imminent release of album #13 and this solemn exaltation about “Heaven”."

http://www.adequacy....he-mode-heaven/

Official Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy7FzXLin7o

Jen

Yes Jen! I too am sooo excited about their new album coming out soon. I have been a "Depeche Mode" fan since the Speak & Spell days...

They are amazing in concert. I have seen them every single time they have come to Toronto.

Oh, and I must say...I especially loved the concerts (just a little more so) when Dave Gahan had his locks (if you are catching my drift) -- wink.

The man can move...his thrusting hips gets me going each time! Wouldn't you agree Jen? :)

But their new single release 'Heaven' is ok...it's still kinda of growing on me after hearing it only a month ago...by now I should have loved it but it's still growing...

Just retweeted your review... it was awesome!

I can't wait to see what is in store for us with the latest album -- yaay!

p.s to all the depeche moder's on here...what is your fav's from them?

Hiya Sunshine!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one psyched about Depeche Mode's new album.

That's so cool that you've seen the guys live. I never have. :( And you pre-date me for being a fan. I caught on to them around Music For The Masses, I think. Whenever "People Are People" became more widely heard (well, to a point). I used to collect all the articles and photos of the band members from magazines, mostly international ones since the U.S. didn't quite take to DM right away. I remember a couple kids in high school flaunting the fact that they saw DM live. LOL

I have been catching up though with some of the concert footage on YouTube. I don't know what I'd do without YouTube - or Depeche Mode.

Keep listening to "Heaven" - over and over - and hopefully it will unfold its mysteries to you and you'll enjoy the song more. I had to listen to it many, many times before I did truly "feel" it. Oh, and thanks for the retweet! :D

My fave album is Violator (yes, the obvious choice) and my fave song is "Never Let Me Down Again" - at least I think so; as of right now.

What are you faves?

Jen PS Are you on the official DM Message Board at all? Just curious. I joined a few days ago.

Hey Jen, Yes, thank God for youtube! Glad you were at least able to catch some of their live preformances online -- they are really worth seeing in concert if you ever get a chance. Listened to Heaven all day yesterday (btw the lyrics are phenomenal)...it's growing on me a little more..... Their lyrics have always been great and dark -- one of the main reasons why I love them so much. I was a bad girl, I was able to sample Delta Machine already. Unfortunately Heaven was the only song that I cared to listen to be quite honest.

I have so many favs of theirs but here they are : - Just Can't Get Enough (1981) - Everything Counts (1983) - Get The Balance Right (1984) - Blasphemous Rumours (1984) - Shake The Disease (1985) - Love In Itself (1985) - It's Called A Heart (1985) - Black Celebration (1986) - Stripped (1986) - But Not Tonight (1986) - Nothing (1987) - Halo (1990) - World In My Eyes (1990) - Sweetest Perfection (1990) - Mercy In You (1993) - In Your Room (1993) - Higher Love (1993) - Barrel Of A Gun (1997) - Home (1997) - It's No Good (1997) - Useless (1997) - Insight (1997) - Precious (2005) - A Pain That I`m Use To (2005)

Since 2005, there hasn't been much of anything else that has really appealed to me unfortunately. My all time fav albums are Violator (of course), Songs of Faith n Devotion and Ultra. My two songs that I can`t absolutely live without are It`s No Good and Halo. Actually Jen, I am not on DM`s message boards but I do have them on facebook. Check out some of my favs and let me know if you like any of them!

If you like My Bloody Valentine or Stereolab, check out Caribou - 60's psychedelia meets 80's shoe-gazer pop.

If you like this sound, you may also like Dungen. It's a less polyester/plastic sound but just as groovy.

I know this post is from a long time ago, but I just read that Dan Snaith, the man behind Caribou, is now Daphni with an album out called Jiaolong. It's not really my thing, but just wanted you to know.

"Springs" is springy with some clacking beats and lots of R2-D2 beeping flourishes sprinkled throughout:

Jen

PS Sunshine, I will reply to your DM post soon; I'm pressed for time right now, but your song list is really cool and I'll have to give a listen to some of them because I either haven't heard them or not in a while...

Hey Jen, Yes, thank God for youtube! Glad you were at least able to catch some of their live preformances online -- they are really worth seeing in concert if you ever get a chance. Listened to Heaven all day yesterday (btw the lyrics are phenomenal)...it's growing on me a little more..... Their lyrics have always been great and dark -- one of the main reasons why I love them so much. I was a bad girl, I was able to sample Delta Machine already. Unfortunately Heaven was the only song that I cared to listen to be quite honest.

I have so many favs of theirs but here they are : - Just Can't Get Enough (1981) - Everything Counts (1983) - Get The Balance Right (1984) - Blasphemous Rumours (1984) - Shake The Disease (1985) - Love In Itself (1985) - It's Called A Heart (1985) - Black Celebration (1986) - Stripped (1986) - But Not Tonight (1986) - Nothing (1987) - Halo (1990) - World In My Eyes (1990) - Sweetest Perfection (1990) - Mercy In You (1993) - In Your Room (1993) - Higher Love (1993) - Barrel Of A Gun (1997) - Home (1997) - It's No Good (1997) - Useless (1997) - Insight (1997) - Precious (2005) - A Pain That I`m Use To (2005)

Since 2005, there hasn't been much of anything else that has really appealed to me unfortunately. My all time fav albums are Violator (of course), Songs of Faith n Devotion and Ultra. My two songs that I can`t absolutely live without are It`s No Good and Halo. Actually Jen, I am not on DM`s message boards but I do have them on facebook. Check out some of my favs and let me know if you like any of them!

Yeah, I kind of lost track of what Depeche Mode was doing after Songs of Faith + Devotion. Not sure why... I did hear songs from Ultra and Exciter that I liked, but not enough to buy the albums at that time, for some reason...

From what I recall, I was still listening to radio at that time and taped a couple of the songs to keep on cassette... :lol:

Yes, "It's No Good" is a fave of mine too, and I forgot about "Halo", but just gave it a listen, and it's up there too. My other faves besides "Never Let Me Down Again", include "Shake The Disease", "The Policy of Truth", "World in My Eyes", "Enjoy the Silence" (at the time it was released, it bowled me over compared to everything else that was on the radio, etc...), "Walking in My Shoes", "Strangelove", "People are People, "In Your Room", "The Love Thieves", "Behind the Wheel", and "Barrel of a Gun". Sorry it's out of order chronologically.

That's just based on the songs I recall and have heard. I'm planning on listening to all of DM's albums at some point. A fun task, if you ask me!

So does that mean you've heard Delta Machine in full now? I've heard most/all of the songs, but only once, so my opinions aren't totally formed yet... What I do know is that I like "Heaven" (Yes, I do!), "Soft Touch/Raw Nerve", "Should Be Higher", and "Soothe My Soul". There are 2 or 3 more songs I like too, but I forget which ones they are.

Have you had the chance to listen to Delta Machine more and is anything else catching your ear?

Jen

Yeah, good old cassettes (lol)...I use to record huge too!! The good ole days...

Glad you are going to take a listen to some of my favs. Of course I liked the obvious popular hits you had mentioned too but whatever over played on the radio -- I would get bored of and listened to the singles that weren't popular and be in my own little world of Depeche.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a second listen to Delta...but we shall see if this album brings them back but my hunch says not -- too bad :(

• 3 weeks later...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=CliSu2DW0dw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCliSu2DW0dw%26feature%3Dyoutu.be

Who does this sound like?

It's not the version I wanted but that is all that YouTube had :( ... but close to it.

Obsessed...got it off a movie.

http://m.youtube.com...ture%3Dyoutu.be

Who does this sound like?

It's not the version I wanted but that is all that YouTube had :( ... but close to it.

Obsessed...got it off a movie.

I can't see the video; it's blocked in my country. :unsure:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/divinyls-leader-singer-chrissy-amphett-dead-53-19013207#.UXWKZLV1-a8

In remembrance of Chrissy Amphlett (1959-2013), enjoy my favorite song by her Australian rock band Divinyls:

I’m Jealous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf-o378KGD4

RIP Chrissy :(

• 2 weeks later...

I love the song by Pink does with Nate Rues from the group Fun called Just give me a reason.

I won tickets to see the Divinyls way back when they were hot here. It was a pretty cool show. I only knew that one tune but we were just going to check her out anyway.

I'm am huge into the latest disc by The Heavy-The Glorious Dead. They are coming around in the States soon! Checking them out in Boston in June.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tCmBkcCi0rs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New Queens of the Stone Age disc is GREAT!

Ahhh - Esco! You've just answered the question I was going to post here; what is the new QOTSA album like?

How many times have you listened to the disc? Is it an instant like or did it grow on you? What is your most fave album by the band?

"I Appear Missing" is one of my faves off the album:

Will give my thoughts later when I have more time -

Jen

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh - Esco! You've just answered the question I was going to post here; what is the new QOTSA album like?

How many times have you listened to the disc? Is it an instant like or did it grow on you? What is your most fave album by the band?

"I Appear Missing" is one of my faves off the album:

Will give my thoughts later when I have more time -

Jen

HEY!

Sorry so late on the response. My laptop has seen better days.

I have to admit to some BIAS here. I am a QOTSA fanatic. I love everything they do. So I loved this instantly. There is a little stretching here and a whole lot of what we always love about QOTSA, Homme's off kilter vocal delivery, great Grohl drumming, Elton John, (honestly, I didnt notice), what can I say??? If you like anything they've ever done, you will like most of whats on here.

I spun it non stop for two days. Put it down for a few days and now it's hip deep in my go to list on my ipod.

My favorite disc is Lullabies to Paralyze. I know....I get shit for it from everyone, (NO Nick!!!!! It sucks!), But I find it just really flows beautifully as a listening experience, start to finish. I think the new disc does as well, much moreso than the last release.

Stand out cuts on this disc (For me): there are three cuts that just run beautifully together: Vampyre of time and memory, If I had a tail (Everyones on this cut), and My God is the Sun.

Just awesome.

So I'm working with a friend of mine on a CD. He's a big Van Halen fan. I am less so. BUT I did borrow a copy of David Lee Roth's last solo disc and gave it a spin and I have to say its damn good. Its got what you expect it to have on it but it has a few really great songs on it as well. Black sands is one. The guy really has his own thing with lyrics. One of a kind Mr. Roth, and deeper than you think.

HEY!

Sorry so late on the response. My laptop has seen better days.

I have to admit to some BIAS here. I am a QOTSA fanatic. I love everything they do. So I loved this instantly. There is a little stretching here and a whole lot of what we always love about QOTSA, Homme's off kilter vocal delivery, great Grohl drumming, Elton John, (honestly, I didnt notice), what can I say??? If you like anything they've ever done, you will like most of whats on here.

I spun it non stop for two days. Put it down for a few days and now it's hip deep in my go to list on my ipod.

My favorite disc is Lullabies to Paralyze. I know....I get shit for it from everyone, (NO Nick!!!!! It sucks!), But I find it just really flows beautifully as a listening experience, start to finish. I think the new disc does as well, much moreso than the last release.

Stand out cuts on this disc (For me): there are three cuts that just run beautifully together: Vampyre of time and memory, If I had a tail (Everyones on this cut), and My God is the Sun.

Just awesome.

Ah, a QOTSA fanatic! Cool! I'm not quite up to that level, but QOTSA is one of my fave modern bands. I only found out about Josh Homme and company with the supposed "mass-appeal" album Songs For The Deaf and then I kept following the releases.

I totally understand your point about a listening experience, and Lullabies to Paralyze, and well as the latest album, has that continuous sonic and concept flow. I haven't had enough time to fully listen to and appreciate Like Clockwork... yet.

Yes, I'm enjoying "If I Had a Tail" too, and "My God is the Sun". I guess my main complaint is that I wish the disc rocked out a bit more. It's very subdued for a QOTSA album, and maybe the rock is dissipated because of all the guest artists on the album.

My fave album is Songs For The Deaf, I think, but I haven't spent enough time listening to the band's 2 previous albums. I really like several cuts off Era Vulgaris too, but like you said, it's a choppier experience and doesn't flow from song to song.

This is my most fave song by QOTSA (I think...): "First It Giveth": audio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmZ-W6Sbv0g

Well, and I love the jauntiness and oddness of the song and video for "No One Knows":

Jen

My newer, sorta-fave, modern rock/pop band is Gold Fields from Australia. I happened upon the album Black Sun in a record store (I liked the shiny silver 'n' black cover. Definitely hooky, infectious, "accessible" songs with sing-along choruses - and there's nothing wrong with that, right?

My fave songs don't have official videos to them. Here are some audio links from YouTube. Turn it up and they *will* make you get up 'n' move around (unless you're an old fashioned, slow zombie):

"Meet My Friends":

The 80s-tinged (in a good way; wait for the cool chorus) "Closest I Could Get":

Jen

Part 2 about Gold Fields, since I can only post 2 video links per post

:

The disco-tinged (again, in a good way) "Thunder":

Well, here's an official video, but just close your eyes and listen to the song "Dark Again":

Jen

They're very good. I'm hearing a little Depeche Mode and INXS in there. Two of my favorite groups. It seems to be all their missing is a voice that can really push them over the hill and make them stand out, giving them a solid identity. The singer is good but I think he needs to stand up and really push it out there. But that may not be him but the producers or record execs or whatever. Be curious to hear them live.

What I'm really digging lately:

Let me know how you like it. Turn it up!