Sign in to follow this  
Guest AdminGuyX

The New Conan

...sigh...this is depressing...

HAHAHA! Okay, the situation is not funny, at all, but I couldn't help but think of South Park having and episode of Brett and Conan.

I'd love to see a hardcore reboot done the way it should be, but I'm still kind of courious what a King Conan flick with Arnold attached would be like.

This is too bad. Ratner isn't a horrible director per say, he's just middling and not an interesting one.

Let me start off by saying the title for this thread is derogatory and baseless.

Noeland, you have ZERO evidence that Brett Ratner is in any way going to compromise this project.

I honestly find the entire concept of this thread very DISPLEASING and feel it shouldn't center around ONE person's opinion of the film's failure due to his personal problem with the director.

There's alotta upcoming movies I am completely against, but you don't see me making threads about them with titles like "THIS IS GONNA BLOW ASS" or "THIS SUCKS COCK".

I think Brett Ratner did a great job with X3 despite the general consensus that it was crap.

I also feel more encouraged than ever to see this film now that he is involved.

He has a great sense of danger and suspense in his directing and those are qualities that can only BENEFIT Conan.

-TL

See I think he's a pretty middling director and not interesting.

At least he hasn't gotten around to remaking The Boys from Brazil.

Guest AdminGuyX

TL, I don't agree with your feelings on Brett, but I appreciate your protest. Titled changed.

To me, Ratner is to Conan what Lexi is to Frank Castle.

The wrong person for the job.

And I didn't say anything blows cock.

The "rapes Conan" bit was just a south park reference too.

;)

Guest AdminGuyX

For my money, Ratner is just empty production value.

He can make his films look expensive by hiring good DP's, but that's about the size of it.

Obviously he works well in the studio system, he's liked, he can make a film on budget and on schedule. This is why he gets work.

But his work, for me, plays as passionless, forgettable, and derivative.

The films of his I enjoyed were Rush Hour and After The Sunset. And I didn't love those movies, I only liked them. Mindless fun.

Conan needs to be ICONIC. Memorable. Amazing. It needs to be Lord Of The Rings level GREATNESS, or they shouldn't even bother making it.

I don't see it. I just don't see it with Ratner on board.

He can make his films look expensive by hiring good DP's, but that's about the size of it.

Obviously he works well in the studio system, he's liked, he can make a film on budget and on schedule. This is why he gets work.

The films of his I enjoyed were Rush Hour and After The Sunset. And I didn't love those movies, I only liked them. Mindless fun.

Conan needs to be ICONIC. Memorable. Amazing. It needs to be Lord Of The Rings level GREATNESS, or they shouldn't even bother making it.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Exactly, and to add one of the reasons X-Men: The Last Stand wasn't as horrible as it could have been was because he was working with actors for the most part had who 2 movies under their belt to grow their characters. And he was basically a hired gun on that movie since most of the pre-production was done by Matthew Vaughn. He's mostly just uninspired.

I can see this thread going like the Warzone thread.

Only roles are practically reversed. TL may be the only guy to staunchly defend this director - attached to this movie.

And we'll go round and round, but cool. I'm up for it.

First off let me start by saying I feel the same way as most of you. As a fan I am completely disheartened by this news.

Noeland and I were chatting about it privately and I thought this next bit of info would help him feel somewhat better about it - It didn't ;)

"Ratner is a self confessed Howard fanatic. The very first fiction he ever wrote was Conan stories.

He is in love with the character. I have this first hand from Fred Malmberg, the big cheese at Paradox Entertainment (who control the rights and the movie)."

Also this -

"Paradox is actively involved in development. In fact, they are playing a major part. They aren't leaving it to another studio to fuck up.

They will be active during the whole process and Conan is something Paradox and Fred take very seriously."

And as true as that statement is, the jury is still out for me. They've never to my knowledge involved themselves to such a degree with any of their properties before.

But that doesn't necessarily guarantee that Ratner-Paradox can pull this off. It does make me feel better but still.

John Milius - Brett Ratner - No comparison with respect to the material. Milius was a Viking.

I have no personal grudge against Ratner. I don't really know too much about him aside from the films he's done I didn't like (I did like After The Sunset).

The pedigree of his past films does not shout Conan to me, but this shouldn't matter should it?

Somehow it still does with me.

If he steps up and knocks it out of the park then I'll gladly eat it. He has a golden opportunity to vindicate himself in the eyes of his detractors.

If he blows it . . . well, that would truly be un-fucking-fortunate. By Crom it will kill this character on screen for a long time.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

I've pretty much said my peace here actually, so I don't think this will go the warzone thread route, if it has 200 pages of praise for Ratner, so be it. That's OK with me.

Just remember folks. Conan fan or not:

His last directing effort was "7 things" By Miley Cyrus.

jesus...now i'm not depressed at all...how much closer to Conan the Barbarian can you get than Hanah fucking Montana?

wow.I'm gonna sleep just awesome tonight.

WHY am I the ONLY person here that remembers the scene at Jean Grey's house in X3???

I know ALOT of other people that shared the MASSIVE suspense that sequence shocked into me and its a feeling very few films have ever provided me with.

Let me try to re-live it for a moment and do my best to describe it:

Thursday May 25, 2006 - 8:30 PM...

Jean Grey has just revealed her insanity to Wolverine and knocked him unconcious before fleeing the mansion.

Xavier seems to know where she's headed and rounds up Storm and Logan to go after her.

They arrive at the house which I remembered from the film's opening, "GREY" on the dark green mailbox.

*I'm thinking, they'll go in there, talk some sense into her and go home.

That would fit the popcorn movie stereotype.

Then Magneto and his gang show up, which makes me feel a bit worried.

They go inside and Magneto gives Juggernaut that delicious line ---> "Nobody gets inside."

Vinnie Jones grins and John Powell's score goes in a completely different direction.

They walk inside the spooky house to find a very disturbed-lookin Jean.

*I started feeling more uneasy and began to consider the danger these two men were exposing themselves to, with Jean having killed Scott and all.

The house, being partially controlled by Jean's telekinesis, is really starting to creep me out and the discussion between Jean, Xavier and Magneto is adding to that feeling.

Wolverine STILL hasn't tried to go inside, and that can't be good.

Patrick Stewart delivers the killer speech "Look what happened to Scott! You killed the man you love because you couldn't control your power!!!" and all hell breaks lose.

Wolverine charges at The Juggernaut, Storm goes into flight mode, Magneto gets rammed into a sink...

I am in COMPLETE suspense.

Powell's music begins to rise beyond my expectations and Xavier's psychic battle is looking a little dangerous.

*The feeling creeps into my head: No. It can't be. Is he gonna make it?

Is he in control???

The score gets more dense and dazzling, and Xavier is now beginning to float.

Wolverine is stuck to the roof and I AM SHITTING BRICKS.

Now comes the part that MESMERIZED me ---> Xavier's hands begin to fade away.

I now realize the terrible truth: She's killing him slowly.

WHAT???

But this is a comic book movie!

Then RATNER does it, he HAD to do it.

He makes all that suspense culminate into something more ---> Wolverine crawls through the roof desperately trying to make it into that room, where his friend is most definitely in danger.

He arrives as Powell's music begins to slow down.

We see stillness throughout the room.

The close-up on Jackman's face is perfect.

Xavier tells Jean "Don't let it control you" as the skin on his cheeks begins to evaporate.

Then Stewart turns to Logan, who struggles to fight gravity and stay in place...

Xavier smiles at him and then explodes.

I almost had a heart attack :lol:

That scene, was directed by BRETT RATNER.

Noeland, there aren't very many films out there that can do that to me.

That can do what that scene did.

There aren't that many directors out there that can build up that kind of suspense.

You badmouth Brett Ratner, ok.

You're entitled to that.

But can YOU set up a scene like that?

Can you?

I doubt it.

But you can always prove me wrong ;)

THAT is why I respect and enjoy Brett Ratner.

Bryan Singer may have established the X-MEN franchise, but it was Brett Ratner who made it dramatic in X3.

-TL

Yeah, there isn't even a word for the kind of depressing that is.

One of the other things I have a huge concern over is who plays Conan?

In a way, this is even more important than the guy they get to direct.

Arnold was pretty good in the original, and as horrible as the movie itself was in the second film.

All respect to Richard Fleischer, a director whose previous work I loved, he just didn't get it.

Even as a 17 year old in '84 I found myself saying what the fuck is this piece of utter shit I just sat through?

I don't even know where to begin with the casting question.

It'd be real nice to have an actor AND a warrior sized Cimmerian wrapped up in one dynamic screen presence . . . But where do you find that?

I really hope they go with an unknown and populate the rest of the cast with top notch names.

- TB

WHY am I the ONLY person here that remembers the scene at Jean Grey's house in X3???

... ... ...

-TL

Thomas, that was a gorgeous recounting of that scene - thank you for that. I appreciate your passion for the details.

Yeah, there isn't even a word for the kind of depressing that is.

One of the other things I have a huge concern over is who plays Conan?

In a way, this is even more important than the guy they get to direct.

I don't even know where to begin with the casting question.

It'd be real nice to have an ACTOR and a warrior sized Cimmerian . . . But where do you find that?

I really hope they go with an unknown and populate the rest of the cast with top notch names.

- TB

I have to agree with you there, Tim. Casting Conan is going to be a very tall order, indeed. People are actually posting at imdb for Gerard Butler and Javier Bardem ... which makes me think, "huh?" I like your idea about an unknown, but what do you think about Kevin Nash? MikeV beat me to it, but I am concerned about just any wrestler. Kevin has the size and the acting charisma, I think, to handle it.

P.S. Oops, I just caught up with the Thor thread, where Kevin is a favorite. I guess it just depends on the kind of "hair day" he is having for Thor vs. Conan. ;)

Thomas, that was a gorgeous recounting of that scene - thank you for that. I appreciate your passion for the details.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

That scene was something I never expected from an X-MEN film.

I have to agree with you there, Tim. Casting Conan is going to be a very tall order, indeed. People are actually posting at imdb for Gerard Butler and Javier Bardem ... which makes me think, "huh?" I like your idea about an unknown, but what do you think about Kevin Nash? MikeV beat me to it, but I am concerned about just any wrestler. Kevin has the size and the acting charisma, I think, to handle it.

Here's a pic of Kevin taken last week, personally I'm feeling him more as THOR than CONAN...

kevinnashoctober2008lv6.jpg

-TL

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

That scene was something I never expected from an X-MEN film.

Here's a pic of Kevin taken last week, personally I'm feeling him more as THOR than CONAN...

-TL

Yeah, when I see the hair like that, you've got a point! I'd only really seen him with the buzz-cuts in movies - but he is a pretty good actor and well-spoken behind the scenes. I'd have trouble casting either role, frankly.

he is a pretty good actor and well-spoken behind the scenes.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Its refreshing to see someone else around here recognize Kevin's abilities as an actor.

He truly stands out from the wrestling bunch.

It would be a dream come true for me to see him play Thor, but much like Conan, there's talk about the character being very young.

Kevin's 50, but he looks 40 and would make one HECK of an Ultimate Thor.

I like to say that Branagh can be to Kevin what Milius was to Arnold.

-TL

kevinnashoctober2008lv6.jpg

-TL

Nash no good for Conan, the character. But he HAS GOT to be in it.

That dude looks like he walked out of the desert with a giant Tulwar strapped to his back.

A worthy adversary or a trusted companion?

Just cover up some of those contemporary tats.

Nash would be great as a Hyborian Age warrior.

No question.

- TB

In a perfect world, Ridley Scott would direct this. Hell, I'd kill to see Cameron take stab at it. Of course, I'd like to see Scott direct most films that are greenlit.