Tim Bradstreet

Robert E. Howard's - Desert Adventures

'Tis true my young friend ;)

Just released this one on FB -

El Borak ripping his way through the ranks, brandishing the vaunted three-foot Khyber Knife.

Vignette illustration from the story Three Bladed Doom.

Vig9.jpg

That fucker does some serious damage ;)

- TB

Just for you guys -

A couple of unused shots/concepts from the El Borak photo shoots.

Amazingly, the front of Tom's home served as a decent stand-in for a palace courtyard. Con as a guard stands sentinel.

con_1615.jpg

The Executioner and El Borak finally cross blades, a pity this didn't specifically fit into the stories, but I'll find a reason to use it someday.

Borak_1824.jpg

- TB

Not sure if you know Tim, but what size is this book? These pics and the behind the scenes are screaming for a chapter in your next art book. This really is some great stuff. Only a few day until I can pick up a copy.

It's 9.25"X6" standard book 'trade' size.

I kinda fucked up and made my vignette illos ridiculously detailed (they should be more simple-ish drawings), so they re-typeset the book in order to print my vignettes larger than normal.

Don't know if they hated doing that or felt it was a necessity to give the art a chance to breathe, but they did it. I hope it looks good.

I'd really like to do a portfolio or a mini art book (with photos) or something. Need to discuss options with Paradox.

- TB

Thought you guys might enjoy this -

janebreakelborak.jpg

I did enjoy it. Thanks. Is Tom aware you took this?

He knows cause I showed him the pic, and he wasn't really napping yet when I snapped this.

Does he remember it? Is he aware that I posted it here? No idea ;)

Had to though. A picture is worth a thousand words, eh?

- TB

Just released -

The sensuous Yasmeena - Vignette illustration for The Daughter Of Erlik Khan.

Vig4.jpg

- tb

Guest AdminGuyX

Those tables with the curled horns are fantastic. Love that old camera too.

Tim, I could praise your work and heap on the adulation as I usually do, because I just love it so much, but I'll spare everyone the drooling this time.

I'll say this though. I absolutely love the way you are using abstract brush strokes to frame out the work. Simple, effective, and very dynamic. And I really dig seeing you capturing some action mid moment.

I know I've posted this before, but I'm going to again anyway. Your love of this material shows through.

Cheers to you Noeland my brotha.

Yeah, y'know the main thing I wanted to do with this gig was bring an organic feel to it, a much greater organic stylization than normal.

It had to be me but I also wanted to keep it in the classic illustration ballpark, it had to feel 'arty'.

Plus I totally wanted to "blow out" the whites and leave defining ink outlines on the sidelines ;)

The desert is a blast furnace so I wanted the art to reflect that in some way, hopefully giving the onlooker a feeling of that intense heat.

Another thing I employed was the introduction of textures (added digitally) to give the impression of blowing sand.

You see that mainly (so far) in the frontispiece illustration (side view of El Borak on his trusty mount), but I made liberal use of it elsewhere as well.

The dry-brush swatches too were a thing that in some places I added digitally or enhanced edges that I wanted to blow out a bit more.

And the swatches served a duel purpose, also used to create negative and positive frames which wouldn't be 'static' like a straight line would be.

That all lent movement and some chaos to the quiet shots and enhanced the menace in the action stuff.

The whole thing was an experiment on the fly that improved with each piece.

That's why I'd like to do about 100 more of these fuckers ;)

- TB

Here's today's installment -

This is a full page illustration that I rejected in favor of a tighter shot on O'Donnell seen previously in this thread.

The illustration was intended for the short story, Swords Of Shahrazar. I do really like the piece but it came down to me wanting to get more immediate with the image.

I felt this composition was a little too standard in my playbook. Weird, I went through about 6 permutations for the illustration in this chapter, more than any other image this one fought with me.

Not even sure why ;)

Anyway, here is is, the self-rejected alternate full page illustration from Swords Of Shahrazar, featuring one of the deadliest sword fighters of the age, Ali el Ghazi, AKA, Kirby O'Donnell.

SwordsofShahrazarFullFfinalF.jpg

- TB

Here's today's installment -

This is a full page illustration that I rejected in favor of a tighter shot on O'Donnell seen previously in this thread.

SwordsofShahrazarFullFfinalF.jpg

- TB

OOP!

I'm losing my mind . . . I displayed the published version of the illustration for Swords Of Shahrazar in my FB gallery, not here!

So you can compare, here is the winning version.

SwordsOfShahrazarFullALTERNATEF.jpg

- TB

the desert adventures are some of my absolute favorite stories.

It's the romance I have with the desert and those breath-taking locations such as Wadi Rum, the rugged terrain of Afghanistan and Persia.

The period (early 19th Century), the old weapons, swords, British Lee-Enfield and German Mauser bolt action rifles, Webley top-break revolvers, civilian khakis, cool boots . . . Wrap it all up in pulp tales of high adventure and I'm hopelessly lost.

That's me to a T.

The early 20th century is my favorite historical epoch. For one thing, it shaped the world we live in today. So much for the "serious" reason. The truth is, it's just got the coolest iconography imaginable. You've got T.E. Lawrence and the Arab Revolt (obviously wonderfully visual); the Mexican Revolution with all those bandoliers, sombreros and machine guns; the African safari when it was tough and gritty; the Boer War and Breaker Morant; the freak show of the Russian Revolution and Civil War; the wierd dieselpunk vibe of the Great War.

You've got the pinnacle of Western Civilization interacting with cultures of the Stone Age. And the Lee-Enfield and the Mauser, the greatest battle rifles ever. (Well, the M-1 Garand is actually superior, but I LOVE those bolt-action war-dogs). I have a passion for those bad old days.

Having these stories collected together and illustrated by an artist whose skill and passion matches Howard's own is a dream come true for me. It's my consolation prize for being here in 2010 instead of 1910... there's a Revolution brewing South of the Border, and the Balkans are simmering...

Goddamn Rifleman, were we separated at birth?

Welcome to the boards!

I think yer gonna like it here ;)

- TB

Is he aware that I posted it here? No idea ;)

Had to though. A picture is worth a thousand words, eh?

- TB

Very, very sneaky.

Thought you guys might enjoy this -

janebreakelborak.jpg

This is after shooting in 106 degree temps on horseback for 4 hours.

TJ was beat, and then we started all over again for another 4 hours shooting inside with controlled light.

We actually finished up without him because as we were shooting he started to break out in a sweat, then he got real pale . . .

Then he got really sick, sick as a dog. The fucker KEPT going even when we KNEW he was in real discomfort.

Finally he had to take a bow and go to bed. We shot for about another hour with Con Schell.

And a big giant thanks and a big hug and kiss to Patricia for putting up with us heathens ;)

- TB

That's so cute, Tim. And wow, what a trooper to go on even when he was that sick. It's nice to hear that he's that dedicated. Love that sofa and the old camera in the pic too. Gorgeous!

Btw, when were these pics taken, Tim?

Most of the photography was done late summer 2008.

Here's a look at a piece i did as a warmup for this job.

I offered it up but there was really no place to put it.

Damn shame.

Hope you like -

Desert Bandit - Crowquill, brush and ink on board - 2009

DesertBanditF.jpg

- TB

OOP!

I'm losing my mind . . . I displayed the published version of the illustration for Swords Of Shahrazar in my FB gallery, not here!

So you can compare, here is the winning version.

SwordsOfShahrazarFullALTERNATEF.jpg

- TB

Is that my uncle? ;)

Most of the photography was done late summer 2008.

Here's a look at a piece i did as a warmup for this job.

I offered it up but there was really no place to put it.

Damn shame.

Hope you like -

Desert Bandit - Crowquill, brush and ink on board - 2009

DesertBanditF.jpg

- TB

I really hope you do publish a portfolio of this work — and "a hundred more of these fuckers." I'm getting the book of course, but you have a buyer for the portfolio here as well.

It's already out?

Wow, I didn't think it was available until Tuesday. Cool.

Yeah, the Keegan's are fantastic, they were also my art directors, they really kept me on point.

I'd love to do a portfolio of some of the images, maybe do a few new ones as well.

Have to see what Paradox says about that.

Portfolios notoriously move so-so from a sales perspective, but doing a signed, limited run of say 500 might just do.

Will take some looking into.

In the meantime Rifleman, if you are interested I do museum quality Giclees.

The paper is out of this world awesome.

There are a few folks around here who can vouch.

I'd make you or anyone else a good deal.

Normally they are $30.00 a piece but I could definitely do a good deal for an order that included 5 or more images.

5 for a Hondo, which would be a third off the normal price if purchased individually.

Giclees are 13" wide by 19" tall.

- TB

PS - Incidentally, my web sales guy went out of business so I'll be handling all print sales, Maximum Black, and my new book Archetype, all by my lonesome for the time being.

I'll be starting a new store thread soon where you can order within the thread or by personal message. I don't do credit cards but I do take Paypal, personal checks, money orders, etc . . .

More soon.

Also, here's a new preview -

Header Illustration from "Son Of The White Wolf".

2009 - Crowquill, brush, and ink on board.

Header7SonOfTheWhiteWolfF.jpg

- TB

The paper is out of this world awesome.

There are a few folks around here who can vouch.

- TB

PS - Incidentally, my web sales guy went out of business so I'll be handling all print sales, Maximum Black, and my new book Archetype, all by my lonesome for the time being.

I'll be starting a new store thread soon where you can order within the thread or by personal message. I don't do credit cards but I do take Paypal, personal checks, money orders, etc . . .

More soon.

I'll vouch! I have several hanging on my wall, and it seems everytime I think I have enough to keep my satisfied, the big guy cranks out more amazing work. You're gonna make me break the bank one of these days ;)

Thankee for the vouch Jdub -

Here's a look at the book cover by Jim and Ruth Keegan

ElB-final.jpg

- TB

Also, here's a new preview -

Header Illustration from "Son Of The White Wolf".

2009 - Crowquill, brush, and ink on board.

Header7SonOfTheWhiteWolfF.jpg

- TB

HOLY COW, Tim!!! That is off the freakin' chain, it is so amazing! I'm not kidding. I'm serious. I wish you would teach a class in your technique some day. I'd come from anywhere just to hear that.