kwiat_skye

Give 'em Hell Malone

Guest AdminGuyX

DAMN. Just tried to DL this on blockbuster and it's a PC only download!! I'm on a mac, so I guess I will just have to brave the blizzard tomorrow and go out and get this.

DAMN. Just tried to DL this on blockbuster and it's a PC only download!! I'm on a mac, so I guess I will just have to brave the blizzard tomorrow and go out and get this.

Yeah, I saw that -- what is up w/ PC only downloads? We living in the 90s here or what?????

'Ol Streety Pie is crying bullshit LAME.

PC only downloads, how utterly shortsighted.

Do we know if iTunes will be carrying?

- TB

PS - JWeb, did you dig those opening titles? ;)

Damn, how could I forget :o ? Next time you should see if you could do a little more during the end credits as well.

I know it's gonna be avail via internet, so I'm guessing iTunes is a go, but not sure. I think it all comes out Jan 26th. This extra 2 weeks is so that BB can carry it exclusively and milk rentals. If you ask me, its kinda like releasing the original Star Wars Trilogy on DVD and following it up a year later with the Special Editions to milk the markets. Just release it all, for Christs sake. Hopefully they'll do something else with the Malone BluRay -- there's practically no bonus features at all. A couple of interviews. Booooooooo.

Should've had a writer/actor commentary. I'd love to hear both of your takes on how the character came to and evolved to what we can now see on screen.

Damn, how could I forget :o ? Next time you should see if you could do a little more during the end credits as well.

Bless my soul you're right! The approximately 15 seconds of screen time was far too little ;)

Love to do a big opening credits design, that'd be fucking brilliant.

- TB

I know it's gonna be avail via internet, so I'm guessing iTunes is a go, but not sure. I think it all comes out Jan 26th. This extra 2 weeks is so that BB can carry it exclusively and milk rentals. If you ask me, its kinda like releasing the original Star Wars Trilogy on DVD and following it up a year later with the Special Editions to milk the markets. Just release it all, for Christs sake. Hopefully they'll do something else with the Malone BluRay -- there's practically no bonus features at all. A couple of interviews. Booooooooo.

I doubt the Blu-ray will have any thing more to it, this release just seems like a dump job. They didn't even spring for a commentary.

I know it's gonna be avail via internet, so I'm guessing iTunes is a go, but not sure. I think it all comes out Jan 26th. This extra 2 weeks is so that BB can carry it exclusively and milk rentals.

Well, that explains why netflix doesn't have it until the 26th. I'll have to wait until then to see it.

Have to wait a month or two before I can buy it.

I love reading spoilers, though, so spoil away!

Just got the blu ray from blockbusters. Loved it but my only gripe is with a few parts that mainly just deal with editing. When Malone is jumping the roof and the guy follows, there are two people, but when it cuts to close up of guy jumping, the other guy is missing from shot. Also, the van comes to a stop two times when it's sliding. The third one is hard to explain without spoiling anything but it's just cut that occurs with matchstick. Anyway, I really loved the movie and I hope enough people buy it to warrant a sequel. This deserved to be in theaters and it's a damn shame it wasn't.

No real mystery surrounding questionable editing in a film with this budget.

They put almost everything they had on screen which leaves not so much wiggle room in post.

And I'm mainly talking about TIME, time to meddle, and fanagle, and cajole. Time to perfect.

The studio ALWAYS intended that Malone go DTV, it was designed for it.

So even when they realized the film they had could be tweaked and nurtured for the big screen there wasn't really anything to do for it because they already spent their agreed upon wad o dough.

Which leaves us to enjoy, at least, what we got, which is still a damn fine serving of asskick.

As an audience I think it's easy to forgive little editing snafus because we are aware like never before what the shortcomings of low-budget are all about.

Hell, those little blemishes are very much a part of the charm of the kind of low-budget filmmaking we've come to love.

You can pull out all your hair and scream at the top of your lungs attempting perfection, or you can go with the flow and LEARN that each project is a stepping stone to the next level.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

I went out in the snow and ice (up hill both ways) just to rent this today. ;) It was certainly worth it. I had a lot of fun watching it.

I noticed the editing stuff too Jeffrey, along with the reusing of a few shots. I really didn't mind though. It was just that kind of movie where the mistakes have a certain charm to them.

The opening shootout was pretty great, nice and bloody. It was too short! There was a glaringly obvious full CG shot that I didn't care for though.

I counted Malone's shots between reloads, and I suspect the editor wasn't. :) I'm a gun guy. Sue me. I know that it's an issue, and that firing 8 or 9 shots from a 6 shot revolver is better than having a stunted scene that doesn't work or flow well.

I also notice he fired 4 times (the third one was barely there) from an over and under double barrel shotgun later on too.

;) I just can't help myself.

Also, that Mateba, was it chambered for 357? Because ain't no way 38's from a smith and wesson snubby are working if it's not (why didn't he just use that gun though?)

That cut down shotgun was almost as cool as the Mateba. I was really hoping to see it again later on with Malone wielding both guns. :(

Maybe for the sequel.

I'm assuming that shoulder holster was custom made? Really cool.

I absolutely loved the voice over. The voice that Tom gave the character in general, I thought worked in spades. As a fan of old school noir I really enjoyed that shit.

I dug the humor in the film too, and I really liked all the scenes with his mom. Especially the stuff about the drinking.

The extras were weak, but I wasn't expecting ANY, and I was almost embarrassed carrying the shit artwork on the cover up to the counter too.

The good news is that there was only 7 DVD's left for rent in the Malone section. Most of the shelves were empty.

Tim, the credits worked. They fit the opening and the intro quite well.

Hey Noeland -- Thanks for braving the snow both ways to grab the flick! Yeah, I was on set while they were shooting the opening sequence, and one of the things TJ kept saying is: I gotta reload. I gotta reload. So I can vouch for the attempt. That's great that copies are flying off the shelf -- hopefully they'll go, go, go. And yes, whoever mentioned the BluRay was a dump-job, having reviewed the BluRay, I concur, it's no diff than the DVD. WTF? What BluRay goes to press WITHOUT at least director commentary these days? But, the picture does look / sound pretty awesome off of BluRay on 1080P w/ Dolby Surround, I tested it out on a buddy's system, so that's great.

That shotgun / mateba combo is a good idea. We'll have to put it into MAKE EM BLEED.

Mark

Also, that Mateba, was it chambered for 357? Because ain't no way 38's from a smith and wesson snubby are working if it's not (why didn't he just use that gun though?)

Actually. I have the spring kit for my .357 Mateba to use .38 Special Loads. It exists, just no real point IMHO. The Mateba shoots full power .357 loads (I load 16.5gr of Win 296 under 158gr JSP) as though they were 9mm's. Amazing reduced felt recoil.

Guest AdminGuyX

Mark, I wanted to add that I really enjoyed the ending. I don't want to say more than that as to spoil, but it was a good ending, well played, and well shot. That final shot of the film seemed to be as fitting for the character as the opening shot was for him, if you know what I mean.

I'm wondering, was that the no permit, guerrilla shoot?

I was happy to see some reloading, and with speed loaders at that! ;) I think the last film I saw with speedloaders was Dead Bang, which I also enjoyed. I'm kind of happy to read that Tom was the reason for the reloading. I think that's pretty fucking cool.

Jarlath, you know that autoloading aspect of the Mateba sometimes escapes me, that you'd need a different spring kit installed in the action makes perfect sense, but had not occurred to me until I read your post.

I own a couple 357 mags, a ruger and a rossi, and they chamber and fire 38spec. with no issue, obviously. ;) But I was thinking based on the size of the chambers and the rounds in the speedloaders that Malone packed a Mateba chambered for 44 magnum, in which case the gun could not chamber the same rounds as the smith snubby Murph had.

I also didn't mention how disturbing and, well, how wrong the lollipop scene was. I mean . . . DAMN!

Damn.

I'm still chuckling over that last remark Noe.

I too really loved the ending scene. I agree completely with Noeland.

It gives Malone's character a extra layer of depth we really hadn't seen yet.

It's OK and somehow almost necessary that we don't get this insight until the last scene.

I thought it elevated the entire film.

- TB

Is everybody here renting this or buying? I've searched my local stores, and they aren't getting it until next week or the week after.

I feel so left out and uncool :wacko:

Well, I'm waiting for a german DVD release. I hope it will come out in the summer. If there is no release in sight by then, I guess I will get the UK import...

Is everybody here renting this or buying? I've searched my local stores, and they aren't getting it until next week or the week after.

I feel so left out and uncool :wacko:

Heh, DON'T!

I don't have it yet either. I'm waiting to get a hard copy when it's finally released widely.

I have not seen the final cut yet though it should not really be altered from the version we screened in San Diego last year with the exception of a couple of music cues.

I also have an early rough edit but there is no point in going back to that unless you want to hear Russell Mulcahy rough dub a lot of lines, mostly grunts and AHHHHHHs!

It's actually pretty fucking hilarious, especially the dude that temped the voiceover which Jane had not yet done. He kind of sounds like the dude that narrates one of the true-crime shows, cannot remember his name but he has a very distinctive voice. You gotta laugh.

I too am disappointed that the distributors did NOTHING in terms of extras. Normally (and I hate to say this), I wait a while to purchase in a case like this because somehow I get the feeling that a more complete version will follow only months later with shit tons of extras. The classic bilking of the public. I know better than that in this situation, ie, shit tons of extras, but jeeesus a director, writer, star commentary would at least be something!

The distributor draws my ire in many more ways than this. It's a shame that this film is getting this kind of treatment. Why get a Tom Jane, a Ving Rhames, a Russell Mulcahy on board if you're just gonna pull a major CHEAP with the release? Seems to me a little PR, and a nice product would serve the interests of the distributors much better, let alone the film everyone worked so hard on.

One of the reasons you won't see Tom plugging this in the news and on the air for the studio/distributors is a direct result of this.

Still, I'm buying one or more in order to support the FILM and it's creators cause who knows when Malone will get the sweet, packed full o goodies release it so deserves.

- TB

I am weak...sorry...I did pre-order this and I did spend my hard earned cash on it! But I was just dying to see it. I am currently with my charges at Kay house the home were I work and care for developmentally delayed adults... Jeremy is watching Mortal Kombat for the 15th straight time (no lie!) and Devon is watching Segal's Lawman, so I was bored out of my mind...I downloaded the bit torrent for GEHM...I know, I know...so kick me...but what a great fucking movie! I absolutely love this fucking thing! I can't wait to get my copy so I can watch it 15 times myself!

Glad you dig it, Irish --!!! Great to hear. Nothing wrong w/ bootlegging what you've already bought. It's bullshit that you'd have to pay for a rental after you've already dropped bucks for the purchase.

Todd Farmer just sent me a neat little tidbit, apparently Give 'Em Hell Malone is the 3rd most rented film at Blockbuster this week.

Not too damn bad for a cool little slice of noir heaven that got no promotion and advertising.

Cheers to my Malone brothers!

- TB

Todd Farmer just sent me a neat little tidbit, apparently Give 'Em Hell Malone is the 3rd most rented film at Blockbuster this week.

Not too damn bad for a cool little slice of noir heaven that got no promotion and advertising.

Cheers to my Malone brothers!

- TB

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!

That is pretty cool. Where did Farmer get the scoop?

Mark

Not sure, some RSS feed thingy. He sent the little feed link to TJ and I.

it's from some Entertainment real-time blogsite.

This is the thing he found -

"Important question for my followers: GIVE 'EM HELL MALONE. Why the hell does this movie have an entire wall at Blockbuster and why are all the copies rented out?

It's their #3 most rented movie. I've never heard of it. I didn't realize this still happened ;) "

The distributor fucked A LOT of stuff up but they definitely pulled a coup with the Blockbastard exclusive deal.

How many unreleased films get a whole wall? If Blocknazi ordered a whole wall for each of their stores that translates into beaucoup units sold.

I'm sure they got a ridiculous wholesale discount but still. That's how you move some fuckin product.

A decent amount of those rents will turn into purchases too.

Good news for when it's released wide. Heavy rents at Blockbuster is actually some decent promotion in itself.

Retail Buyers look at that shit.

- TB