Give 'em Hell Malone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AdminGuyX

Warzone? GAH!!!!!

Based on the trailer Mark put together, I can't imagine not loving this movie. He's said that it's very representative of the film, and I dig the trailer something fierce.

This is why Tim hated the use of the word CAMP, because it can really be viewed to mean a lot of things. The PI movie as a genre has always had a bit of an "OFF COLOR" sense of humor to it and I think that is what is meant by the use of the word CAMP. Movies like Tony Rome, and The Maltese Falcon have their own sense of humor, snappy and sometimes buried in the drama, but it's there none the less. I'm hoping for some of that uniquely Privite Eye humor in this one. I can't wait it looks so damned good man.

Nice one Shawn!! That's awesome!

Also, I wanted to take exception to something else Fure noted in his FSR review.

He's entitled to look at the performances however he seems fit but I just wanted to add this about Doug Hutchinson's portrayal of Matchstick. . .

I think the subtleties of what Doug accomplished are EASILY overlooked.

I truly believe it's a very nuanced performance in spite of the fact that it may be 'over the top' to a point.

Matchstick is an eccentric, no doubt, and Doug plays him with a whole lot of joie de vivre and to the hilt.

His thing is FIRE, everything in his life is all about the flame, much like fellas that can't have a conversation without slipping into some analogy based on the Star Wars mythos ;) Todd Farmer doesn't pass out kudos or compliments easily and he mentioned something along the lines of 'Channelling Nicholson".

I agree. Doug plays it up deliciously but it's purely coincidental that this performance falls on the heels of Looney Bin Jim (Warzone).

The characters are almost diametrically different, the only thing they really have in common is that both roles are portrayed by Doug Hutchinson and both are sociopaths. I'm sure it's easy to see the similarities but I see Hutchinson's performance in Malone as being truly one of a kind.

Doug is SO freakin talented and this production is all the better for his efforts.

My money says you will love Matchstick. You will revel in his reserved yet maniacal eccentricities. And you'll positively LOVE to hate him.

Matchstick is a highlight villain in the piece.

- TB

That'd be a 'negative'.

One of the things I find endearing about the character is that he sometimes refers to Malone as Malonesy.

I love that this insane villain speaks to his enemy like they're old and dear friends. It's delicious irony.

Matchstick is kinda like good cop, bad cop all rolled into one.

It just makes me giggle every time he says it, especially to Malone's face.

I can't remember if that's in the script or if it's something Doug did on his own.

- tb

Maybe, apparently he likes to improvise weird little bits of dialogue sometimes, like the "Yummy yummy, in my tummy tummy" and "Let me axe you a question" pun from Punisher: War Zone were all him.

That is a great one-sheet Shawn --!!! It makes me think bubblegum pulp -- Love the orange and yellow. I'm going to print up this one and put it up on my wall as well.

I was a bit underslept when I read the review but yeah, I think it was pretty good. I met Robert at the screening and kinda said "Don't kill us too bad, okay?" But he was really enthusiastic about it and seemed to sincerely enjoy the flick, which was really great. We didn't have a ton of $ for this film, certainly more than I'm used to, but not for an action movie -- making an action flick on a low-budget means you have to "embrace the low-budget" which means really sink your teeth into the characters and dialogue to set the film apart, to not make a "Straight to video" flick, which is what we did. Some people will like, others won't.

I already addressed the "camp" angle and I'd agree w/ Tim on Matchstick -- unfortunately he got compared to a "poor-man's" Joker by a couple of people at the screening -- As you all know Matchstick was written loooooooong before the Dark Knight came out. Their motivations are very different -- The Joker was all about chaos, Matchstick is all about fire -- but they're both sociopaths who chew up the scenery and show-up in various guises -- so I'm sure the comparisons will come -- but I guarantee this: Matchstick's final appearance out-does the Joker's "Nurse Outfit" by a longshot.

The only other thing I'd say about the review is that I have written / directed a produced film before Malone -- it's called Pale Blue Moon, a little indie I'm still trying to get distribution for. You can watch the first ten minutes of it here:

Pale Blue Moon

Totally self financed by working in shipping and receiving at a post house and by the generosity of friends and family. I'm still hunting down a domestic distributor but its been distributed around the rest of the world.

For better or worse -- Probably 95% of the dialogue was as scripted, some of it TJ and Russell came up with in development -- The actors did punch up the dialogue from time to time on set, I can't take credit for French Stewarts "Lady-pants" line (but I can take credit for his SUCK MY SINATRA line) -- I also scripted Matchstick's "Malonesy" nickname -- he and Malone have a tit for tat - He calls Malone "Malonesy" and Malone calls Matchstick "Sparky." That's one of those things that just "Fell out of the typewriter" as most great lines / plots do.

Guest AdminGuyX

Really dug the abduction footage. You got some solid production value on screen. The older crazy version of the kid was pretty funny, especially the sunglasses bit. Good luck with distro Mark. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

I can't wait to watch Malone at Long Beach. ;)

Hey Guys,

I'm the Film School Rejects writer who did the video reaction and wrote the review Tim linked to earlier. In regards to the term "camp" I suppose I could have chosen a more accurate, or at least different word, but that was the one that kept popping into my head. Turns out "camp" is a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

I'm a genre guy through and through so have suffered the slings and arrows of everyone assaulting the films I love to the point where camp, schlock, and "B-movie" are signs of quality, nothing derogatory. When referencing horror, some great flicks like Tremors, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, and Sleepaway Camp are all considered to be in the "campy" section, so I definitely don't consider the term to be a bad thing or necessarily invoke tooty-fruity Bette Middler shit.

I didn't mean to imply Malone is the kind of camp that is "Rocky Horror Picture Show" or "Gilligan's Island." To me, it's the kind of camp that comes about when a guy gets his head set on fire for the second time and I give a laugh. Maybe there's a better term.

In scanning over the posts, I saw Mark H. call it "pulpy dark" and people reference "dark humor." Yup, that fits and the humor is dark, but to me camp and dark humor aren't necessarily exclusive. So like Tim just posted above, I was using "camp" in sort of my own definition as it relates to me and the films I love, not in what is the general-wikipedia-defined sense of the word which is all sorts of stuff that Malone is not.

Even if our definitions get crossed up a bit or I could have chosen a word (or perhaps invented one), the basic fact remains - Malone is a cool movie. You'll grin, clap, cheer, wince, and laugh. Then rinse it and repeat it. Although next time guys, how about some boobs? (I will always be 14 years old in my heart and in my pants).

Congrats to Mark, Tom, and Tim (and everyone else involved) for getting some good shit down and sharing it with us at Comic Con. To all the Tom/Raw fans here, see this movie when you get a chance, I know you'll appreciate it.

Best,

R.

Film School Rejects

Robert on Twitter

And since it was brought up, Punisher War Zone sucked. Malone is miles better.

Although next time guys, how about some boobs?

You know I tried to do my cameo topless but Russell 86ed it -- maybe in Malone 2?

Thanks for the clarification on the word "camp" Robert -- we'll take it. Again, I'm really glad you liked the flick and thanks a ton for coming out and for the good review. I hope my bitching over the word "camp" doesn't distract from my appreciation for the rest of your review. Matchstick needs to be cut a bit, then he'll be less Joker-esque and I hadn't thought of it, but yes, some of the humor is very Evil Deadish -- which possibly has the greatest line in movie history: "Yo, she-bitch. Blow."

Now THAT'S dialogue to aspire to.

Mark

FURE!

Welcome to the boards mon ami ;)

Just to clarify, I was not attempting to malign you in the least for your splendid review.

Just attempting to clarify your use of the word 'camp' in the vernacular of your thoughts.

I'm pretty sure I knew what you meant but to our fans here on the boards I thought the use of the word required a bit more sussing out.

Maybe it's just me, camp does mean a Rocky Horror type connotation where I understand it but it can be a broad term.

Your mind was in the spirit but I didn't want Malone fans to get too wrong of an idea.

All's good. Everyone has their own take on this stuff. We're just goddamn glad ya dug the film!

And as always thank you and the entire crew at FSR for the unyielding support.

Means a LOT mate.

xo - TB

PS - I quite agree that we as an audience need more Elsa Pataky skin on display. I've seen more of Jane than I care to comment on ;) And the ladies get a dose of that weekly on HUNG. What the fuck is an R rating good for anymore if there isn't some pubescent fantasy, carrot snapping material?

FURE!

Welcome to the boards mon ami ;)

Just to clarify, I was not attempting to malign you in the least for your splendid review.

Just attempting to clarify your use of the word 'camp' in the vernacular of your thoughts.

I'm pretty sure I knew what you meant but to our fans here on the boards I thought the use of the word required a bit more sussing out.

Maybe it's just me, camp does mean a Rocky Horror type connotation where I understand it but it can be a broad term.

Your mind was in the spirit but I didn't want Malone fans to get too wrong of an idea.

All's good. Everyone has their own take on this stuff. We're just goddamn glad ya dug the film!

And as always thank you and the entire crew at FSR for the unyielding support.

Means a LOT mate.

xo - TB

PS - I quite agree that we as an audience need more Elsa Pataky skin on display. I've seen more of Jane than I care to comment on ;) And the ladies get a dose of that weekly on HUNG. What the fuck is an R rating good for anymore if there isn't some pubescent fantasy, carrot snapping material?

Between the opening titles of Hung and watching Stander I agree we've seen enough Jane to have earned some sweet naked ladies.

Between the opening titles of Hung and watching Stander I agree we've seen enough Jane to have earned some sweet naked ladies.

Sorry to 'bust' up the ruckus, but I don't know if Mark was going for a Boob-n-Bullet flick a la Roger Corman. Furthermore this side of the peanut gallery appreciates the swing of the pendulum towards more male nudity considering the amount of boob-a-lage in the last 35 years of film. Don't get me wrong about nekkid ladies - done right they're hot for all of us - but subtley is always a welcome relief. Y'all just aren't in the habit of exercising your imaginations like we've had to for the past umpteen decades! ;)

Somebody tell me how Kick Ass can get Lionsgate, Universal and Paramount fighting to buy the damned movie since Sony isn't doing it. Yet none of them will step up to the plate for this one which looks far better (IMHO of course).

Or is Hollywood on a Comic Fad? soon to die off like the typical genre trends? (Did it get good box office draws. AKA LOTR did great and suddenly a plethora of fantasy/medieval movies released as per the movie trend.)

I've heard stories of movies being shot down, but getting the green light as long after they decide to do a comic. They should get the rights holders to jump on board for some runs on a Malone series. Maybe that could get some more heads to turn.

I'm just hoping someone comes to their sences so I can see this sometime soon. It's looking too damn good to wait much longer.

Don't fear -- Malone isn't out yet because they've yet to screen it for domestic distributors, not because no one's biting. TJ and crew just finished the color timing a couple of days before Comic-Con -- They might go in and do a nip and tuck on the edit based on feedback, then they'll screen the film. I think they have a few guys on the hook, including Lions Gate, but they want to screen the finished product. So... no one has said No, no one has said Yes, no one with power has seen the film -- but that should all change in the forthcoming weeks.

Sorry to 'bust' up the ruckus, but I don't know if Mark was going for a Boob-n-Bullet flick a la Roger Corman.

I actually wrote it as just a bullet flick -- I like boobs as much as the next guy but the character of Evelyn, in my mind, was always too classy to show the audience her breasts -- just to Malone.

Don't fear -- Malone isn't out yet because they've yet to screen it for domestic distributors, not because no one's biting. TJ and crew just finished the color timing a couple of days before Comic-Con -- They might go in and do a nip and tuck on the edit based on feedback, then they'll screen the film. I think they have a few guys on the hook, including Lions Gate, but they want to screen the finished product. So... no one has said No, no one has said Yes, no one with power has seen the film -- but that should all change in the forthcoming weeks.

Yay. I'm sure I can speak for all of us that we want some major theatrical release numbers domestically :)

Shoot for 3K.

Guest AdminGuyX

I think after all this talk of camp, boobs and bullets (which describes many weekends at my house, by the way) we should all go revisit the trailer that Mark cut and see how it looks to us now.

For me, it just makes me want to see it that much more.

:)

I just rewatched Le Samourai, because it's kewl, and am wondering if there's a bit of that sort of characters vibe for Malonesy in this movie?

Also the way that movie ends, with the spinning of the gun chamber, to show that it was empty, shows up in your trailer ;) .

I think after all this talk of camp, boobs and bullets (which describes many weekends at my house, by the way) we should all go revisit the trailer that Mark cut and see how it looks to us now.

For me, it just makes me want to see it that much more.

:)

There's one quick shot in the trailer that really makes me wonder what's going on. It's only up for about a second, but you see Malone (I think it's Malone) walking, but the shot is from under him and he's leaving a trail of bloody footprints. It just looks amazing. Can't wait to see how it play's out.

• 3 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.