Tim Bradstreet

Film Vault Feedback

I don't see any Tarzan movies. :(

You are funny.

Well there will likely be at least one to add, directed by Hugh Hudson.

I toyed with adding animated movies to this thing and perhaps I still will.

Johnny Weissmuller's work probably will not make this particular list.

:)

- TB

Guest FADoss

Tim, Captain Staros is an easy character to sympathize with. Harder, is the colonel. As a military leader especially infantry, he has objectives to achieve. Objectives that could make or break a war. He is forced with decisions to surrender 1000 men to save 1000000. Of course, you see some of his other motivation, to be a great military leader, but you also see him in the end, struggling with the weight of the decisions he's made.

Too many times they display military leaders as either overly-arrogant and inefficient or completely unaffected by their decisions. I think Nolte hit the nail on the head as far as what a true great military mind thinks like.

Fred

You are funny.

Well there will likely be at least one to add, directed by Hugh Hudson.

I toyed with adding animated movies to this thing and perhaps I still will.

Johnny Weissmuller's work probably will not make this particular list.

:)

- TB

Oh well. You had said, "The films on the list (with many more to add) helped shape my appreciation for film, and filmmakers. Hell, they helped shape me."

And that statement made me think of all the westerns, war movies, Tarzan flicks, beach movies and intense dramas I watched on TV as a kid. There was a lot of cool stuff in those old Tarzan flicks, but maybe it's just me.

On another note, I'm old enough to have seen Bullitt in the theater, but am also too old to remember much of it. It's a two-edged sword, I guess. I'll have to rent it and stimulate my brain cells. Steve McQueen just exuded heat from the screen.

k-skye

Problem is, most of the Tarzan stuff I saw as a kid was the TV Tarzan, Ron Ely, and Manuel Padilla Jr . . .

I never really remember seeing the Weissmuller Tarzan flicks of the 30's and 40's.

That's the real reason they probably won't make the list. The 30's and 40's are an era of films I've been getting more and more into though.

When I was a kid and young adult, etc . . . I grew up in the 70's and 80's, so I saw a LOT of that stuff. I absorbed a lot of 50's and 60's through TV and syndication.

The prior decades simply weren't represented as well by then.

I'm just in the last few years able to realize that there is more and more quality stuff from there which I have not seen. And I was a kid like anyone else in this whole equation, I had to slowly learn that old stuff was just as good as new stuff (even better in a lot of cases). In the 70's and 80's my young mind could still access films of the mid to late 50's and the 60's because there was really only a 20 year gap (And older movies being replayed on TV served to introduce me to a lot). I'd say that today's 15-25 year olds have the same ability to access the films of the 80's and 90's to that degree. But films of the 60's and 70's aren't such an attraction. Mainly because of the same TV corridor. Not many channels show much content from that era, ergo; the younger crowd doesn't get the early exposure unless their parents turn them on to it or they are already certified film nuts.

Ah well, just thinking out loud.

- TB

Well, I was just pulling your leg about Tarzan movies. They weren't exactly high quality. Pretty much churned out by the studio on a conveyer belt. They were fun to watch, though.

Ladyhawke is a favorite. I've seen all the SciFi on your list somewhere along the way. But there are plenty of films you've listed that I haven't seen, so it's nice to have a reference point since I appreciate your opinions about movies. My poor netflix queue is going to explode. So many movies, so little time.

k-skye

Someone has to be disappointed to see The Mist didn't make the Horror or Sci Fi list :P

Great to see Bill Paxton get his dues for Frailty, Near Dark, A Simple Plan and especially One False Move (really have to trade my VHS for DVD on that one).

Funny that you have Get Carter and The Limey are on the list, considering that one's just a remake of the other.

Surprised to see A Very Long Engagement at the top of the foreign film list. I though the whole movie resembled a feature length Stella Artois commerical and consider it the directors 2nd poorest film from their catalogue. Have you never seen Delicatessen, Amelie nor The City of Lost Children?

Shouldn't Excalibur be in the Fantasy section?

Some suggested additions:

Deliverance

The Swimmer

City of God

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance , Oldboy , and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (back to back obviously)

The Field

My Left Foot

The Passenger

...... but this is all just this one guys humble opinion.

And I appreciate that humble opinion, but . . . Keep my original post in mind -

No film suggestions please ;)

I'm slowly putting this list together.

There are hundreds of films to add so this is very incomplete for now.

If you think I've classified a film under the wrong genre then give us your thoughts.

If you want to talk about the movies listed then let's do it, but no spoilers please.

If you see a movie in the list then let us know what you thought.

If there is a bad link let me know.

- TB

Also consider that there is no particular order to the films in terms of what constitutes the best of each category.

Perhaps when the list is more complete I can start to rate them, but rating films like this is such a very subjective thing.

No one would agree so perhaps it's better to just lump them all together.

I was back and forth on how to classify Excalibur. Perhaps it is better listed under Fantasy.

As for Get Carter and The Limey, while the plot may be similar I would hesitate to classify The Limey as a remake, though I'm sure some would disagree. I think I'll Sleep When I'm Dead is closer to a remake of Get Carter, it's even directed by Mike Hodges, who helmed the Michael Caine classic.

- TB

We watched Seconds the other evening. Mindblowing is a good way of describing it, especially since it was made in 1966. I don't remember seeing it before, but netflix has it. I'm dense enough that I didn't see what was going to happen to the guy until it was too late for him to figure it out, too. And a good story to ponder upon after watching - What really does make us happy in life? What's worth keeping? What's worth throwing away?

Interesting flick.

Oh yeah!

Seconds is one of my all-time favorites.

It's such a nice departure for Rock Hudson. He actually gets to act, not just play the Hollywood hunk.

Very underrated film, and Rock's performance is superb. Wonderfully creepy film.

Kwiat, did you notice the part that Grandpa Walton played?

Trudell

Ahhh, Trudell, I'm so glad you are here!

Minor spoilers

Seconds, I could talk about this film all day.

Yeah, Will Geer was awesome, for those of you who remember him from The Walton's you'll get a cool taste of him here playing someone diametrically different. Creepy is right, I love the beginning with John Randolph. The film is done so well

you can't help but feel the

Randolph persona trapped in the Hudson veneer as the film progresses

. The scenes with his wife

after the transmutation

are chilling.

And you gotta love Jeff Corey in this film too.

Oh that Frankenheimer were still alive and making movies of this quality.

Skye - I'm so happy you checked this film out and dug it. I'm also pleased that it wasn't predictable for you, a testament to it's longevity.

- TB

Kwiat, did you notice the part that Grandpa Walton played?

Trudell

I did. And when he showed up, my first thought was, he's so benign - he must be evil in disguise. He was so smooth. Like a venus fly trap.

k-skye

I did. And when he showed up, my first thought was, he's so benign - he must be evil in disguise. He was so smooth. Like a venus fly trap.

k-skye

So very well put.

Trudell

Sorry about the suggestions Tim, I kind of just jumped into the lists and skimmed the rest. *curses on my low attention span*

How have I never heard of this film 'Seconds'? I used to consider myself a movie buff, but now I feel like the idiot who walks into Blockbuster asking to rent 'The Dark Knight' on DVD :(

Guess I'll just have to rent it when I get back home .... in 6 weeks time (bugger)

No need to apologize Murph -

You're intentions were good, naturally.

I hope you find the opportunity to check out Seconds.

Director John Frankenheimer hit upon a golden string of 5 back-to-back classics starting in 1962 with Birdman of Alcatraz, which he followed up with The Manchurian Candidate (1962), Seven Days in May (1964), The Train (1964), and finally Seconds in 1966.

There isn't a weak film in the bunch. We all know about The Manchurian Candidate, and Birdman of Alcatraz has been lauded almost equally.

But Seven Days in May is as frighteningly resonant today as it was "ahead of it's time" then, and in 1964 Kirk Douglas was a performer at the height of his formidable talent, just 7 years removed from the Classic Kubrick perfection of Paths Of Glory (1957), and coming off a huge success with Spartacus (1960), as well as the critical success of Lonely Are the Brave (1962). Then throw in Burt Lancaster for good measure, as the General who's blind patriotism warps his morals to the point of a coup d'etat within our own government. Awesome movie.

Then there is the WWII film, The Train. Frankenheimer teams up with Burt Lancaster for the 3rd time in the span of 2-3 years (after Lancaster had original director Arthur Penn fired). The Train is magnificently shot, and a wonderfully taut action suspense drama. At 51 years of age Lancaster still insisted on doing all of his own stunts (authenticity was everything to him). Apparently Frankenheimer felt the same way in light of this incident -

"Lancaster took a day off during shooting to play golf when the shooting was about half completed. On the links, he stepped in a hole and re-aggravated an old knee injury. In order to compensate for the injury, Frankenheimer had Lancaster's character shot in the leg, thus enabling him to limp through the rest of the shooting."

The funny thing is that I've also heard a different version of this story. What I had heard before was that Lancaster injured the knee performing a stunt which you actually see in the film. Then they created the incident where he gets shot in the leg to cover for the injury. I want to say I heard that in the Frankenheimer commentary on the DVD, or perhaps it was a documentary on Lancaster, can't remember which.

Oh yeah, and throw in Academy Award winning actor Paul Scofield (A Man For All Seasons) in an excellent turn as the Nazi Col. von Waldheim.

Top all that off with Seconds, which is like a feature length Outer Limits episode.

What an incredible run.

- TB

I watched Dark City for the first time a couple of weeks ago, after it was mentioned on another thread here (perhaps by you) and it sounded like something that would interest me. Don't know how I missed this one a few years ago, but maybe that's for the better since it sounds like the director's cut is an improvement over the theatrical cut.

A fascinating concept for a story. I don't remember anything else quite like it. There is some resolution in the story, yet I still was left feeling very sad for them. The mood was set very well with the sets and lighting. Familiar yet creepy. How'd they do that? So cool.

I also watched the documentary about the film that was on the DVD. It's interesting to me how the MPAA has changed just over the last decade. Since they were told the film was going to get an R rating because it was just "too weird" for a PG-13, they added R rated material since they were going to get stuck with that rating anyway. What an odd situation. Can you imagine a movie getting an R rating today because of weirdness?

Thanks for the recommendation. A lot of food for thought in this film.

k-skye

Mmmm, Dark City.

Tim, you know I've always felt like we were separated at birth . . in relation to our film tastes anyways.

I can't wait to see where this list ends if it ever does. You know what a big fan of foreign films I am and I so want to suggest a bunch for your list!

Yet I also understand that the list is a work in progress. I love that you have "Zentropa" on there. Such a strange and fascinating film, but then I am a big fan of von Trier.

And you just added "Repo Man"! That makes me happy. "The Blue Iguana" is on the list? You mean I wasn't the only one I know that has seen that? Such good fun. Dylan McDermott is sooooo bloody good in that. What a fun little movie.

There are more than a few films on this list I haven't seen yet. I have a nice quiet weekend ahead of me here so I'm off to pick up some video - Thanks.

Trudell

. . . Which reminds me, I must add Lola to the list!

But how to classify it?

Suspense?

It's not really and action movie per se . . .

Any suggestions?

- TB

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead! Yay! It's been so long since I've seen this one- so bizarre and charming all at the same time. I have to say though, it takes a bit of patience to get through.

"Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead", Goddammit to Hell I LOVE that movie!

Tails, tails, tails, tails, tails, tails, tails, tails, etc . .

Trudell

. . . Which reminds me, I must add Lola to the list!

But how to classify it?

Suspense?

It's not really and action movie per se . . .

Any suggestions?

- TB

It being in German and made in Germany, I'd go with "Foreign Vault" .... just a thought ;)

Have wanted to see "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" for years, this finally gave me the kick in the arse I needed to add it to my LoveFilm list (which is currently at 522 title in my queue :( ... need more free time ) only to find out they don't even have it in stock. Ditto with Seconds and Seven Days in May ..... Yee Gods!!!

Log it under "Foreign" . . . Of COURSE!

The only question is do I spell "Duh" with one "h" or ten?

Too bad you don't have availability on the Frankenheimer classics.

I'd suggest Netflix but I don't suppose they have a UK version, and then there is the fact that you seem to already have a service for that.

Maybe the problem with those specific films is that they've never been released in region 2 format?

Just thinking out loud and too lazy to check.

Still, if you can give The Train a try, or any of the others you haven't seen then you are still the better person for it ;)

No Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead? The shame, the temerity, the INSOLENCE! No Stoppard version of the bard? Alas and forsooth.

Tis indeed a crime of severe proportions.

- TB