Tim Bradstreet

Film Vault Feedback

No film suggestions please ;)

I'm slowly putting this list together.

There are hundreds of films to add so this is very incomplete for now.

If you think I've classified a film under the wrong genre then give us your thoughts.

If you want to talk about the movies listed then let's do it, but no spoilers please.

If you see a movie in the list then let us know what you thought.

If there is a bad link let me know.

- TB

Guest FADoss

THANKS TIM. Delivered as requested. I was surprised that I have seen as many as I have, but there is still a HUGE gap.

Fred

Yes, the mystery section is what I like. The Ninth Gate, Don't Look Now, The Ipcress File, etc. You've just named some of my favorite films there Tim ;)

Oh, and did I also mention that I'm in love with these film's scores?

_ninth_gate_ver3.jpg

JO

I love A Simple Plan, a great Sam Raimi movie. I was kinda hoping that he would be the to direct the last Scott Smith book The Ruins. The Ruins is actually pretty good, but I think Raimi could have made it great.

Also, nice on the Knightriders inclusion, such an underrated Romero film.

I haven't seen all of the films on this list, but a couple of them. I love The Thing, one of the best Carpenter films and a great Sci-Fi Horror flick. The creature effects are really amazing, Russell is bad ass, interesting story and a cool score (hey, it's Carpenter). Frailty is awesome as well. When I first saw it, I was quite surprised by the twists. The flashback structure works very well. Paxton should direct more. I also like Wild Bill. Jeff Bridges is just a great actor (Tron, Starman, The Fisher King, The Big Lebowski, K-PAX,...) and Walter Hill knows how to do a Western. I think the black-and-white visions and flashbacks have a great atmosphere, especially the one with the Sioux.

Guest AdminGuyX

I was happy to see One False Move and just about floored to see Knightriders on Tim's list.

:)

Thought I'd add a few trailers and videos into this for fun.

Knightriders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2CqTsHQ78U

Romper Stomper. This is a big one for folks to go see if they haven't IMHO. You won't be let down. You might be offended, but you won't be bored.

SECONDS this is a perfect film in many ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVKXXDPg2kA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMGg1WQ7ZrI...feature=related

Night of the Hunter

Thanks Noeland!

I was happy to see One False Move and just about floored to see Knightriders on Tim's list.

Knightriders.

This trailer is awfully dated to be sure. The movie probably is as well. But if you can't find love for low budget 80's stuff (especially where a good filmmaker is concerned) then there is no hope for you ;) Hopefully you can see from some of those quick scenes that there is a damn good movie in there.

Romper Stomper. This is a big one for folks to go see if they haven't IMHO. You won't be let down. You might be offended, but you won't be bored.

Don't watch too many clips though, see the fucking film!

And please don't let yourself be turned off by films in black and white. Seconds may be the best movie you see this year.

This trailer doesn't NEARLY capture the paranoia and creepiness of this film. James Wong Howe's cinematography is part Conrad Hall and part The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Goldsmith score is a bonus. You are not a fan of film until you've seen this movie.

Night of the Hunter

Night of the Hunter is one of the great films in my opinion. Period. But if you're idea of an awesome film is Crank, you're not ready for this one yet.

- TB

Heheh, I'm pretty sure I posted The Conversation on my list before I opened the pics thread ;)

Ya bastard. ;)

- TB

PS - That quick graphic you put together fucking cracks me up.

Powder? Really?

Yes.

Victor Salva may be a convicted child molester which is reprehensible, but the film itself is in my opinion wonderful.

I'm giving an unbiased opinion of the film itself by having it on the list.

The performances by Sean Patrick Flannery, Lance Henriksen, Mary Steenburgen, Jeff Goldblum and company should not have to suffer the ill will leveled at the director.

The Goldsmith score is one of his very best.

If your questioning has nothing to do with any of that then that's cool too.

If you personally don't care for the film that's fair enough.

I predict that most anyone who chooses to watch it will enjoy it.

- Tb

No, I've seen and didn't really care for it much. It has nothing to do with Salva diddling that young boy.

Knightriders.

Night of the Hunter

Romper Stomper! Good one, Noelandlovesguns!

You should check out This is England.

Ooops! Sorry about the suggestion.

Near Dark is a fantastic movie. I think it was the first time I saw Adrian Pasdar (Heroes)- he and Bill Paxton have particularly standout performances in this movie. It's actually pretty intense, dark, and frightening.

No, I've seen and didn't really care for it much. It has nothing to do with Salva diddling that young boy.

Gotcha. Too bad.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

Near Dark has been one of my favorite films since I saw it in 88.

It was just one of those movies that inspired me, entertained me, and was made in such a way that I felt somebody out there understood the kind of film I was interested in seeing.

Mind you, I was 16 at the time, and I was only interested in seeing action films back then, with the exception of really good sci-fi that my brother Harry was showing me (like Blade Runner) so back then It was all about the cool factor, the guns, the action.

The film still holds up as an action flick too, but it's also got a well told story, great acting, an awesome score, and art direction that just kicks ass.

;)

I could sing the praises of Near dark for pages and pages.

Guest FADoss
Near Dark has been one of my favorite films since I saw it in 88.

It was just one of those movies that inspired me, entertained me, and was made in such a way that I felt somebody out there understood the kind of film I was interested in seeing.

Mind you, I was 16 at the time, and I was only interested in seeing action films back then, with the exception of really good sci-fi that my brother Harry was showing me (like Blade Runner) so back then It was all about the cool factor, the guns, the action.

The film still holds up as an action flick too, but it's also got a well told story, great acting, an awesome score, and art direction that just kicks ass.

;)

I could sing the praises of Near dark for pages and pages.

BILL PAXTON WAS PHENOMENAL!!! Sevren is my favorite onscreen vampire of ALL TIME!

Fred

"Fasten yer fuckin' seatbelts"!

NearDark1.jpg

I have this one in my studio. I've had this Style B poster for YEARS.

I cherish it so.

near_dark_ver2-1.jpg

- TB

And updated again . . .

Also -

THANKS TIM. Delivered as requested. I was surprised that I have seen as many as I have, but there is still a HUGE gap.

Fred

Hopefully that gap continues to grow as I find time to update the list.

That means a horde of great films for folks to experience.

This list is composed of films that I personally think are worth viewing.

Not all may agree, but this is why I've linked to IMDB.

The user comments or even just the plot summaries can be helpful in deciding if the film is right for you.

At the very least maybe some of the titles then may begin to fall into your own vernacular.

Now you've heard of some of these films, which may induce you to pick one off the vid shelves and give it a try with no preconceived notions.

I'm only attempting to trim the fat from the herd a bit by making the list.

Film has exploded in much the same way music has over the last decade.

Everyone and their sister can step up and make something now.

It's not just a dream anymore. That's all well and good, but . . .

As such, the quantity of stuff to sift through has become gargantuan, and the quality of the material has become watered down.

Pretty much the same as it's always been, there's just a lot more of it now.

The films on the list (with many more to add) helped shape my appreciation for film, and filmmakers.

Hell, they helped shape me.

Hope you decide to check some out.

- TB

Guest FADoss

Watched "Thin Red Line" last night and what a difference a few years of life experience make. Probably one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. Nick Nolte's performance was heart wrenching. Very odd seeing a haunted John C. Reilly if only for a bit. Jane looks like a KID in this one (I was hoping for more Tom). Caviezel deserves to be credited as one of the best actors of our time for films like this, "The Passion of Christ" and "De Ja Vu".

THANK YOU TIM! This one was definitely worth BUYING and watching. Again, not that I ever saw any combat and not that our present situation over there can be compared much to the struggles of WWII, but being IN and being OVER THERE just gave me a whole new perspective on this film. I remember thinking Nolte's character was such an asshole the first time I watched this and I think I felt for him more than anyone else in the film this time around. Did he get a best supporting actor nod for this? He should have.

Fred

Watched "Thin Red Line" last night and what a difference a few years of life experience make. Probably one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. Nick Nolte's performance was heart wrenching. Very odd seeing a haunted John C. Reilly if only for a bit. Jane looks like a KID in this one (I was hoping for more Tom). Caviezel deserves to be credited as one of the best actors of our time for films like this, "The Passion of Christ" and "De Ja Vu".

THANK YOU TIM! This one was definitely worth BUYING and watching. Again, not that I ever saw any combat and not that our present situation over there can be compared much to the struggles of WWII, but being IN and being OVER THERE just gave me a whole new perspective on this film. I remember thinking Nolte's character was such an asshole the first time I watched this and I think I felt for him more than anyone else in the film this time around. Did he get a best supporting actor nod for this? He should have.

Fred

I want to say that the actors were shut out on nominations. I also think Elias Koteas was exceptional in this film. I specifically felt for his character the first time I watched The Thin Red Line. The tragedy of Nolte's character came to me through subsequent viewings. What a self tortured man. You can only imagine what his father must have been like. Other actors with limited screen time I felt were spectacular are, Woody Harrelson, John Cusack, and John Savage. The additions of Travolta at the beginning and Clooney at the end threatened to take me out of the magic. Another contribution worth noting is Hans Zimmer's score which is of major importance to the dramatic impact of this film.

Fred, I'm so glad you went back and experienced this film again. A decade of time and experiences can definitely impact one's evolvement in all things.

Bravo pal.

- TB