Sign in to follow this  
Mike V

Inglorious Bastards

And that's all well and good Tim...but certain people I think pretend to know a LOT more than they do about things and pass judgment on me and it pisses me off.

Nobody likes to be told their business. I empathize.

And I really don't think that I have to learn to like certain films to be a good actor. That's rather elitist. You judge an actor by the quality of their performance, not by what films they like...at least I would hope so.

Didn't I speak to that end?

And the question of film tastes may appear to be elitist but if a fella thinks The Mummy is one of the greatest films ever, yet thinks The Thin Red Line is crap, wouldn't that make you want to rap him upside the head? It certainly tells me that I can't take that person seriously. I prefer to think of it as being cultured ;)

Also, while there are films I don't like I almost ALWAYS take something away from them about the acting. I still think a lot of my comments on Nicholson were misunderstood. Yes, there are a lot of films I haven't seen. I don't think that dampens my acting ability.

It doesn't dampen your acting ability Fred, no, of course not. It's only surprising to me, that as an actor you would not have already opened yourself to films that were made before the mid 80's (I'm generalizing). There is nothing wrong with Tobey Maguire playing Spiderman, or Sam Jackson playing Jules Winnfield, but until you've gone digging into the underbelly and seen great films that weren't necessarily box office hits, or hide beneath the veneer of popularity, older films in general, you'll be missing out on a LOT. A lot that could be useful to you. Again, I'm generalizing. I know you are not a film cripple, there is just so much more out there. Films and incredible actors and performances. Ever see Earnest Borgnine turn in an academy award winning performance in Marty? Ever see Rod Steiger in The Pawnbroker? This is the kind of stuff that will have impact on you. All in good time.

Also, I think if you look at my posts, for the most part I am arguing in favor of giving folks the benefit of the doubt, not being too judgmental of films and WATCHING something prior to criticizing it. AND even when I don't like a movie like "There Will Be Blood" I don't think others are fucking morons for digging it. It just didn't, for the most part, press my buttons. Daniel Day Lewis did a FABULOUS job as an actor in it though.

Yeah, it sucks when we all can't agree that something is brilliant. We want to convert you! ;)

I would also hope that while you would disagree with things you see me post, that for the most part I'm consistent! I don't swap view points when it's convenient etc. I'm also able to stand the fuck up and admit that I don't know something or that I haven't seen something and ask for help with Peckinpah, even if I spell his name wrong and get lambasted for it later on.

Never a point of contention with me.

I also try to base my arguments around logical statements and conclusions. Sometimes I may be working with incorrect data, but at least "I" believe that I have a fairly good understanding of basic reasoning...and not jumping to bullshit conclusions. I also don't feel the need to LIE about things people have said on the board.

Rock and Roll.

TL's comment was particularly nasty because he's asked me to be a part of his film and I said YES from the get-go. So according to his advice, should I work with him?

You intoned elsewhere in the forum that TL was an opinionated something or rather, and that even if the two of you didn't see eye to eye about a lot of things you still had the ease of mind to take the differences in stride. Why would recent events alter that thought? You two could be cats and dogs in here but on set you may get along famously, aiming your focus at a different animal. Put this shit aside and work my friends.

As for Noeland's comments...I overreacted and am prone to being an asshole. I was pretty pissed and felt like you were condescending me. I apologize.

And just to air ALL my dirty laundry in a most highly inappropriate place, I moved out to Austin TX where there was supposed to be film work when I SHOULD have moved to Albuquerque where I already had all my ducks in a row. But now I'm here sucking wind and feeling my dreams flushed down the fucking toilet. That and I have a second mortgage that I can't seem to shake, another baby on the way (and all the medical bills that come with it) and a family I feel like I'm disappointing. And I'm too stubborn to just give up! I can't just pack up and leave for LA like some 18 year old kid and I'm actually still beating my head against a wall trying to make it as an actor OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA! Fucking insane and fairly impossible.

Never give up Fred. Albuquerque would have probably been the best move but it seems like you have to play through the hand you were dealt.

If you feel you gotta get out then organize, have the heart to heart with your lady and make a decision, move back to Tamalewood or fix your prick on Austin and take no prisoners. It's easy to get low when the chips are down. It's easier still to let that negativity and frustration seep into your life in other ways. That's retroactive.

Proactive baby, proactive. Hollywood won't solve your status overnight either. Keep bringing it however you can. You just have to continue to build.

And I WANT to be an actor because it's the ONLY thing that makes me feel WHOLE. The only thing I have ever or could ever do for a living that makes me feel complete. I LOVE every aspect of it. I'm addicted to it. It's my fucking life...and yet...here I am because there are only a few things in this world more important...my wife, my daughter and my future spawn.

There's reality and then there's REality. There is a big difference between remaining true to yourself and being selfish. But it's easy for others around you to get them confused. Don't shut out your wife. Let her know how you feel, that you can't give up on this. If she's the good kind she will take the hard road with you. Do it together. If she needs something more then it wasn't meant to be. Easy to say, hard to put into practice. But take it from one who knows, you have to remain invested in both keeping your family together and your goals. It's a balancing act, but put in the work and it will pay dividends.

So how's that for sharing too much?

Well at least you didn't tell us what color underwear you have on.

- TB

Anyway,

Fred

Guest FADoss

This morning it's black boxer briefs...all for you Tim. :)

TL and I talk on the phone and it will go for fucking hours! And never once do we say ANYTHING close to the evil shit that gets shot back and forth on here. It's like two different people. The internet is EVIL.

By the way, I haven't seen EITHER of those films. Maybe you should make me a homework list. Wouldn't have to be just for me. Could be for everyone on the board. The badass films of Tim Bradstreet. And what if I didn't like "The Mummy" OR "Thin Red Line" (the newer one)? Does that make me a freak?

For the most part I have it all together on the acting thing. I keep my chin up and I press, BUT occasionally I get incredibly frustrated and terrified of ultimate failure which is NOT an option for me on this. Too important. When that coincides with posts like I saw yesterday it makes me into a VERY angry jackass.

Thanks for the kind words Tim and TL and I apologize to everyone else for hijacking the thread with my therapy session. Oh, and Noeland, I've called you like 10 times recently and you never call me back. :( Did we break up? :P

Fred

Guest AdminGuyX

Morning. What a difference a night makes, eh?

Topic Shmopic.

Since I'm the only one of you guys here who has peered at Fred through a camera lens (until October), I'm in a unique position (assuming any of you give a shit about my opinion of such things) to tell you that Fred as an actor can bring a lot of power to stillness. He can radiate anger, and he can express joy and love, and he can be quite funny too. He's got loads of potential to be something special with the right material.

He's not an actor that responds to heavy direction, or needs puppeteering. I saw on our first day of shooting that he understood what he was doing, had a deeper understanding of the characters motives and agendas, and that he didn't need a heavy hand. I think he thrived under that ideal, and so did our female lead, the cute and spunky Liz McGeever. I had an easy job when it came to working with them (the rest of it not so much). Behind the camera was a trainwreck of epic proportions. But anyway...

I know all you guys have seen is the trailer for Expectations, and I know the trailer is not earth shattering cool, and here is why. The film we made is 20 minutes of setup, and then 10 minutes of intensity. The trailers don't have the intensity in them because it would give away the whole damn story. Just saying that much is saying too much.

My dilemma as a storyteller was to cut a trailer that is part of the diversion, instead of showing you the cool parts, which I want to do, because the cool parts give it away, I tried to make the setup feel like something else, so when you watch the movie you don't know what's coming. That's my number 1 goal with trailers, I don't want to give ANYTHING away.

I hate knowing what's ahead in films because of the trailer. One shot can be so telling, and sometimes when you get halfway through the movie, you start to put together the end because of certain shots you haven't seen yet in the film that were prominent in the trailer.

Anyhow . . .

Fred, I would not patronize you in any kind of serious way. If I patronize you it's just to kid around, and I always expect to get it right back. Obviously though, I saw you were upset, and quite frankly I was a bit impressed with the way you posted telling us off.

I apologize that I didn't make it clear enough and I hurt your feelings and pissed you off. I meant to post more than damn and emoticon but I was at work, and didn't get back to the computer.

And it's not just you Fred, and I know that doesn't make it OK, but I owe TL a return phone call, my brother Harry, my Mom, and my niece Andrea too. The last couple of weeks have been the final push to move our company from one warehouse into the other, I've been putting it off because I've been working weekends and such. This is my first whole weekend off. What have I been doing all this morning?

Working. I have a slew of freelance illustration work to catch up on.

And as much as I would like it to be otherwise some days, I am not fond of talking on the phone. I'd rather do just about anything else.

And in the tradition of TMI - why the hell not. Full disclosure. I've been depressed - very depressed - over losing a key investor for The Information Agent. I had been discussing funding with a certain friend in Tampa, someone I really respect, he's a business owner, a great guy, and he loves Sci-Fi films, and he signed a letter of intent to invest a large sum of money. More than I ever expected he'd commit to.

I'd started to look into completion bond companies, and insurance companies. Everything looked great, but I hadn't told anyone about it. Not a friggin' soul, not even my girlfriend or my brother, so as not to jinx it.

But then he told me his wife wanted a divorce, and he'd have to walk away. He'd pulled his very significant funding before I even had a chance to tell anyone about it.

So really, talking about film on the phone is like kicking myself in the nuts right now. I'm just not interested.

Anyway, sorry I came off like an asshole Fred. I'll be more careful about it in the future bud.

Njc------------

PS- Just wanted to add that Fred as a person is also all those things he is as an actor. But off set it's weird and creepy and scares girls away.

<_>

Guest FADoss

Noeland...I love you.

And my wife is VERY happy that it scares the girls away.

I also keep forgetting that ANDREA is your niece! We've talked a bit on myspace and such (she's also playing with me and TL on the film). THANKS a million for all the kind words.

And I cannot WAIT to work with Noeland again. The man has VISION. We were VERY rushed in shooting Expectations and it's been a long road afterward. WHEN ARE WE WORKING TOGETHER AGAIN?!

And TL, the script is phenomenal and I still plan on coming out to play with you.

Again, sorry I got so pissed...just struggling a bit right now.

And Tim, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, who the hell is Bob?

Fred

;)

It's a benefit of having watched so much TV and film.

Phrases like this keep life and communication fun and interesting.

To me anyway.

Bob's yer Uncle

- TB

PS - I'm also very fond of the saying - "It's as easy as kiss your hand".

Also from early in the last century, "Easy, Peasy, Japanesey."

I loved it when Brooks Hatlen (James Whitmore) says this in The Shawshank Redemption.

And what if I didn't like "The Mummy" OR "Thin Red Line" (the newer one)? Does that make me a freak?

Fred

Not liking The Mummy makes you my Huckleberry.

As for The Thin Red Line . . . I suspect someday you will be more inclined, nay, equipped to embrace the storytelling techniques of Terrence Malick.

It's slower and more methodical but oh so powerful, and he pulls such wonderful performances from his actors. Jane told me all about flying over to the Soloman's with Mickey Rourke, then watching him do a scene about 18 different ways, each one diametrically different from the last. Jane knew the Mick was incredible but watching him work like this blew him away. UNFORTUNATELY Mickey's scene didn't make the final cut.

Anyway, my point is - Malick may be an acquired taste, but he is one of the great filmmakers, period.

I watch TRL about once every two years and each time I see it I pull something from it I missed before. When I saw it at the theater I wasn't sure what it was I'd just seen. I knew it was powerful, but the storytelling techniques and the narration left me somewhat confused. When I realized I'd been talking about the film for days I knew there was something special to it. I couldn't get it out of my head (still can't). I kept saying to myself and others, "I think I have to see this film again", you know, try and absorb it more. There was just so much to take in.

People were confused or disappointed that it wasn't another Saving Private Ryan or Platoon. But the thing was, it's not about combat per se, it's goes deeper into the lives and personal thoughts of the men IN combat. It's not your run of the mill gung-ho war picture. It's told through the eyes of a lyricist , a poet of singular vision.

I urge you to take another look. Watch it by yourself and allow it to take you for the ride.

- TB

Try Malick's films in this order.

1. Badlands

2. The New World

3. The Thin Red Line

4. Days of Heaven

And if you like what you taste then get ready for Tree Of Life, coming in 2009.

Guest FADoss

The first time I saw it I was 21, freshly married and working 12-hour overnights on the weekends and going to college full-time during the week. In other words, I wasn't getting enough sleep. So ANY slow movie at the time did me in. It was one of those films that I recognized quality, but just didn't dig it. That was TEN years ago and I never saw it again.

When I got on here, Tom's board, I always meant to go back and watch it (I don't even remember him in it) and never got around to it. I will take your advice promptly. As I recall, it is in the $5 bin at Walmart as we speak.

"Tree of Life" shot in and around Austin and I actually tried to get on board...but lived in NM at the time. :( Maybe next time.

"The New World" was pretty decent.

Fred

Not liking The Mummy makes you my Huckleberry.

As for The Thin Red Line . . . I suspect someday you will be more inclined, nay, equipped to embrace the storytelling techniques of Terrence Malick.

It's slower and more methodical but oh so powerful, and he pulls such wonderful performances from his actors. Jane told me all about flying over to the Soloman's with Mickey Rourke, then watching him do a scene about 18 different ways, each one diametrically different from the last. Jane knew the Mick was incredible but watching him work like this blew him away. UNFORTUNATELY Mickey's scene didn't make the final cut.

Anyway, my point is - Malick may be an acquired taste, but he is one of the great filmmakers, period.

I watch TRL about once every two years and each time I see it I pull something from it I missed before. When I saw it at the theater I wasn't sure what it was I'd just seen. I knew it was powerful, but the storytelling techniques and the narration left me somewhat confused. When I realized I'd been talking about the film for days I knew there was something special to it. I couldn't get it out of my head (still can't). I kept saying to myself and others, "I think I have to see this film again", you know, try and absorb it more. There was just so much to take in.

People were confused or disappointed that it wasn't another Saving Private Ryan or Platoon. But the thing was, it's not about combat per se, it's goes deeper into the lives and personal thoughts of the men IN combat. It's not your run of the mill gung-ho war picture. It's told through the eyes of a lyricist , a poet of singular vision.

I urge you to take another look. Watch it by yourself and allow it to take you for the ride.

- TB

Try Malick's films in this order.

1. Badlands

2. The New World

3. The Thin Red Line

4. Days of Heaven

And if you like what you taste then get ready for Tree Of Life, coming in 2009.

Those Malick films are amazing in every way. To me they're all flawless and beautiful. The one thing I don't like about Days Of Heaven, which to me could have been fuckin' amazing if it had no dialogue and had that documentary effect, was that Richard Gere is just sickening to watch. Personally, I don't like him, never have. He has very little talent where I'm concerned. He was the only flaw with the beautiful film "I'm Not There" and he ruins everything for me.

The Thin Red Line, The New World & Badlands, are all brilliant, beautifully shot and have me glued to my seat every viewing.

The Thin Red Line has an amazing cast, and I wish I could see Mickey's scene. I want the uncut DVD, they need to produce it.

I love The New World, me being of Cherokee ancestory, but this was also the film that proved to me that Colin Farrell has range. Most don't like him but to me he is turning into a great actor. Loved him in Miami Vice, In Bruges, Cassandra's Dream, etc. He has some misses but in time he will be up there with the greats.

Badlands, every time I see True Romance I think of Badlands and vice versa. I love how everyone thinks Sheen looks like James Dean, which to me he had the actions but not any real physical appeal, either way that's the one film I loved Martin in.

JO

;)

It's a benefit of having watched so much TV and film.

Phrases like this keep life and communication fun and interesting.

To me anyway.

Bob's yer Uncle

- TB

Ha, Ha, Ha, since BOB really is my uncle, the very first time I heard that saying I thought the guy was messing with me. And since my Uncle Bob is a MAJOR FUCKING ASSHOLE (always has been) I totally denied it.

Guest AdminGuyX
Noeland...I love you.

See, I told you guys it was creepy off set.

And if you still love me after losing $250,000 for our next feature film, I guess I can do pretty much anything.

shit.

Guest FADoss

Are you kidding? You ALMOST had $250K!!! That's AWESOME. Would have been better to have it, but the prospect is bad ass even.

Fred

No, thankfully it's only a small part. Though he is going to be using his old crutch of accents for it.

The man's trying to get this movie done for Cannes '09. I think he's just throwing names in a hat and picking at random.

The man's trying to get this movie done for Cannes '09. I think he's just throwing names in a hat and picking at random.

Seriously, I'm not a big fan of Mike Myers anymore, back on SNL and the Wayne's World movies, sure I loved the guy. But now he's getting a to be a little too much. It's about like Adam Sandler, their careers are on the same path.

I like the cast so far but Mike Myers? Honestly?

JO

Yeah, it's pretty good Samm Levine from Freaks and Geeks has been cast, so it is looking. And if Pegg gets cast it'll only be better.

I don't think anybody like Mike Myers anymore, look at how The Love Guru did. But it is only suppose to be small part, I think all he does is dispatch the character that Simon Pegg might play to help out the Inglorious Bastards.

I've lost respect for Mike some time ago. It seemed after voicing Shrek (which I did enjoy), all the guy can do now is accents, and not even good ones. Of course, my daughter thinks The Cat In The Hat is amazing, so I do have a lot of extra hostility towards him for that ;)

I just hope they go for straight up seriouness with his role, short or otherwise. Hopefully QT was thinking more along the lines of 54 and not Austin Powers.

Guest FADoss
Fuck, why not do Rainn Wilson?

JO

Already covered The Office with BJ Novak...but seriously, Novak, Pegg, Myers??? Is this going to be a comedy?

Fred

Guest FADoss
TROPIC THUNDER is this year's comedic War movie.

Maybe Tarantino needs to leave his cave for a day and go to the movies.

-TL

Oddly I had the same thought...except for the cave thing...and maybe he's making the 2009 comic war movie. Did you ever think of that?! :P

Fred

Comedy is said to be the hardest thing to do for an actor (look at DeNiro comedies), just becasue an actor is only known to do comedy doesn't mean he can't play serious.