Tim Bradstreet

The Punisher: WarZone

Yeah but it was rolling with the times. They MAX arcs would never sit well with the 70's and early 80's. Granted, there were the kick ass non stop action over the top violent action films, but I don't recall reading any Marvel comic books from that era that were soooooo over the top.

Then again, I was born in 1988 ;)

I absolutely hated the punisher when he was in the "superhero team up mode" I think most of the scripts back then were very insulting...I mean, what, Frank Castle is dumb enough to believe the crap printed in the daily bugle about spiderman so he decides he'll kill him? And not just kill him but snipe him from hundreds of yards away...I REALLY HATED the Punisher/Spiderman arcs the most!

Yeah and Wolverine without retractable claws and whiskers on his mask was pretty dumb too, but there are roots and then there are what the character has become. I know a lot of people here are not Fraction fans, but I really dig his stuff. I'd love to see them work a film like that with him whooping Rhino's ass. But then again, I'm a special kind of Punisher fan.

Guest AdminGuyX
As usual Noeland steps in to say what TL would have used an excess of insults and f-bombs to convey. Always the voice of reason and one I usually agree with. :)

I do however have to point out that I remember a time when The Punisher fought Wolverine, tried to kill Spiderman, wore spandex and was a fairly normal guy who waded through supers like butter.

Jim Lee illustrated one of my favorite stories where The Punisher fought Wolverine, and Logan chopped Castle's shotgun in half, to which Frank gladly pointed out he still had a round in the chamber and Logan just gave him a nice close quarters sawed off shotgun so he blasted Wolverine in the face with it.

;)

I have no idea how my reply post translates into being the voice of reason Fred, but I will say that Punisher War Zone made me appreciate the 04 film a lot more. I don't have a blind love for the movie, but they got a lot more right in terms of effective storytelling and mood than warzone did IMHO.

I don't mind the spandex Punisher if he's written well. Over the years Frank Castle has been written lots of different ways by lots of different people, which is why we reference "the kind of Punisher" we like and don't like. I happen to enjoy the Chuck Dixon, Steve Grant style Frank Castle. Sue me. I am of the mind that a Punisher film needs to be a solid crime drama like Dark Knight to fire on all cylinders.

The new Punisher management seems to be bringing Frank back to the white boots these days. I'm sure this is in preparation for his marvel films super hero franchise debut in 5 years or something.

:P

The new Punisher management seems to be bringing Frank back to the white boots these days. I'm sure this is in preparation for his marvel films super hero franchise debut in 5 years or something.

:P

Thankfully we're going to at least get 5 issues of Punisher Noir, which frankly is a Punisher concept I think would be great for film.

- tb

Guest AdminGuyX

I've picked up Wolverine Noir, and Xmen Noir, and really enjoyed them, so I'm looking forward to this one Tim!!

Sadly, Noeland is probably right about a more kid friendly Punisher movie being the next one (and when I say sadly, I'm not dissing you Noeland, just the idea of Frank having to run around in some pg movie with super villains and such). Think about it, the next attempt at a punisher film will not be for a few years at least, and the people in charge will be thinking "Well, we put out three Punisher movies which were R rated, and flopped. let's try a Pg one, because that's all the rage these days, and we'll make more money!". :(

Frank Castle A.K.A. The Punisher (In film) 1989-2008

Hey, if it's a well written, directed and acted I could care less if it's PG-13 or R, you can be just as intense with violence without showing any blood.

Guest AdminGuyX

I tend to agree that Dark Knight proved just how intense and effective a PG-13 film can be. I am more interested in a well written, and well directed Punisher movie than I am in making sure he's R-rated.

I've written off any and all hope that a good Punisher film will ever be made though. It just seems to be one of those properties where people just don't know what to do with it.

why was the brother of jigsaw such a hardcore opponet for the punisher? :huh:

why was the brother of jigsaw such a hardcore opponet for the punisher? :huh:

Because the Punisher had to fight off laughing because of Lbj's horrible accent, and cringe inducing dialogue? That's my guess. Why did they add him in the first place? They had Pitsy in the film! :angry:

It's like Lexi added Pitsy, Ink, and Nicky Cavella just to slap us in the face.

Yeah, she pulled a reverse Harry Heck with them. She took fairly well defined characters and turned them to nothing, wheras Hensleigh took Harry Heck a character who was only in two panels and made him interesting.

I think it's interesting that Ray Stevenson and his stunt double Jeff Wolfe (two tremendously cool fellas) are working with Punisher '04 writer/director (and good pal) Jonathan Hensleigh on a new film called The Irishman which starts filming in Detroit this week.

Weird sometimes how the stars align. An ironic twist of fate to be sure ;)

The Irishman also stars Christopher Walken and Val Kilmer.

I'm hoping to stop by and visit this week while I'm in Detroit for the Motor City Comicon.

More information here -> The Irishman

- tb

I think it's interesting that Ray Stevenson and his stunt double Jeff Wolfe (two tremendously cool fellas) are working with Punisher '04 writer/director (and good pal) Jonathan Hensleigh on a new film called The Irishman which starts filming in Detroit this week.

I'm hoping to stop by and visit this week while I'm in Detroit for the Motor City Comicon.

- tb

Best news to come out of this thread in the past year! Thanks Tim. Looks VERY cool.

On another note, Lexi appears to still be working! I'm happy for her. Getting her Uwe Boll on. Must be a German thing.

That's what I call a weird twist of fate...

- tb

That's crazy, good to see Hensleigh getting work again, I wonder if he's still doing that Mars show for AMC?

The story is suppose to take place in Cleveland, what was Detroit cheaper?

Also check this out; Frank Castle in Florida trying to kill the Costas.

marvelsuperaction0116.jpg

marvelsuperaction0117.jpg

- tb

Sounds like it can be pretty good. And it is strange for Hensleigh to work with two Punisher actors:P I'll have to keep an eye on this project, and hopefully it will turn out to be a great pic. It seems like Ray is getting a lot of big roles after Punisher.

Sounds like it can be pretty good. And it is strange for Hensleigh to work with two Punisher actors:P I'll have to keep an eye on this project, and hopefully it will turn out to be a great pic. It seems like Ray is getting a lot of big roles after Punisher.

Well, he did have Rome before hand, becasue Punisher: War Zone sure isn't getting him work.

Well, he did have Rome before hand, becasue Punisher: War Zone sure isn't getting him work.

:P Good point! But I think it brought him some recognition, and introduced him to a new audience. Although said audience was pretty fucking small ;)

True and at the same time it seems to have hurt West a bit, because The Wire my God he was so damn good on that show, and he really doesn't seem to be doing much currently.

Guest AdminGuyX

The Irishman sounds like something I will enjoy. I had no idea they were shooting that in Detroit! Very cool.

I've said this before, I'll say it again. Hensleigh is only a couple films away from really making a name for himself as a director. If The Irishman isn't the one anyway. Certainly sounds like it has the potential to be a big hit for everyone.

Njc--------

He made big miss step wuth Welcome to the Jungle, God that was such a piss poor cannibal movie.

While I wish he was shooting in Cleveland, I guess Detriot needs the money more.