Tim Bradstreet

The Punisher: WarZone

jeesh, everybody doesn't like war zone?

i thought it kicked ass! the punisher has gone through so many writers and artists along the way, so why shouldn't the movies do the same.

the reason i read the comic is to see frank rack up the body count. we all know what started him off on his mission so you don't need the 20 minutes going over it, a little flashback here and there does the job.

just my two cents :)

i thought it kicked ass! the punisher has gone through so many writers and artists along the way, so why shouldn't the movies do the same.

the reason i read the comic is to see frank rack up the body count. we all know what started him off on his mission so you don't need the 20 minutes going over it, a little flashback here and there does the job.

just my two cents :)

I 100 agree you,even though I hear the pasting is a little off at times. :)

"poopnug the bloody?" :lol: :lol: :lol: *sniggers like a juvenile* :P

Nomad

Nomad hun,I'm shocked ;) (not really) :lol:

Guest AdminGuyX
"poopnug the bloody?" :lol: :lol: :lol: *sniggers like a juvenile* :P

Nomad

Yeah, that's a nasty ID name. I noticed you have beavus and butthead as an avatar though, is this something from the show?

:huh:

Some folks do like it, but it seems like even the people who claim to like it have to throw in there "I know it's not a 'good' movie" when they review it. ;)

the reason i read the comic is to see frank rack up the body count.

Yeah, but even if that's why you read the comic, you have to admit there is more to the character than that, and there HAS to be more to a film for it to work. You can have a body count, and an effecting story too. They are not mutually exclusive.

And for that matter, you can have action that is compelling and interesting instead of just silly and bloody, and that only strengthens the film.

the punisher has gone through so many writers and artists along the way, so why shouldn't the movies do the same.

I don't think anybody has a problem with different creative teams, but this film suffered development, casting, and post production problems from it.

a little flashback here and there does the job.

Well, I don't think anybody is clamouring for another origin film. I hope not. I think most everyone can agree with you that isn't the direction to go in.

That doesn't mean you have to short change Frank Castle on story or character work either.

Either way . . . uh, poopnug, glad you enjoyed the flick. What was your favorite scene? Character? Tell us why you think it kicked ass.

Can we just call ya' Brett?

:)

Okay! I'm going to give ALL you guys something to REALLY slam me about. But I have guts, if not good sense. :P

HERE is my fantasy Punisher film:

A military story, NOT Viet Nam but something more contemporay: Russia, Afghanistan, etc.

Directed by and starring Ray Stevenson.

Screenplay by Garth Ennis

Keeping Steve Gainer (DP), Michael Wandmacher (composer) and Andrew Neskoromny (production designer)

And.....

Thomas Jane as Nick Fury!

Okay, okay! I already know I have few friends here so I can afford to say whatever the hell I want!

But just think about Stevenson and Jane a minute. Punisher vs Punisher! 1) There would be increased funding. 2) The publicity and anticipation would be intense. 3) It would unite the fanbase and maybe save The Punisher as a viable cinematic subject.

I'm having a geekgasm!

Nomad

P.S.

I pretty much agree with this:

Anyway, on the off-chance that yet ANOTHER Punisher movie gets made, I have a simple recommendation: voiceover. Since the late 80’s, most Punisher comics have a running commentary in the form of the character’s “war journal,” which is often bleakly funny, as it reveals his two central tenets: 1) He hates criminals, which is why he kills them, and 2) he really does find a small bit of joy in killing them.

And honestly, what’s the point of casting two large men with gravelly voices if you’re not going to have them say meanly funny things in a low decibel?

To prove my point, I offer this panel from an early Ennis issue (drawn by Steve Dillon). Frank Castle is on an island full of depraved mercenaries, and observes that he now has the opportunity to kill, well, all of them:

untitled.jpg

Nomad

Either way . . . uh, poopnug, glad you enjoyed the flick. What was your favorite scene? Character? Tell us why you think it kicked ass.

Can we just call ya' Brett?

:)

just like i enjoyed seeing the housemates and the russian in '04 version, i liked seeing micro and soap. ray did a fantastic job. all the over the top killing seemed alot like what garth ennis was doing and i enjoyed that.

by all means, you sure can ;)

as for beavis and butthead, i don't think it's from a show, just something i found. if you noticed they're painted up like the insane clown posse and i'm a big fan of the ICP. that's where poopnug-thebloody comes in. i put on the clown suit and presto! poopnug-thebloody :)

Okay! I'm going to give ALL you guys something to REALLY slam me about. But I have guts, if not good sense. :P

A military story, NOT Viet Nam but something more contemporay: Russia, Afghanistan, etc.

Keeping Steve Gainer (DP), Michael Wandmacher (composer) and Andrew Neskoromny (production designer)

And.....

Okay, okay! I already know I have few friends here so I can afford to say whatever the hell I want!

But just think about Stevenson and Jane a minute. Punisher vs Punisher! 1) There would be increased funding. 2) The publicity and anticipation would be intense. 3) It would unite the fanbase and maybe save The Punisher as a viable cinematic subject.

I'm having a geekgasm!

Nomad

Everyone would love it if Ennis wrote a script, I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread that Jane actually approached Ennis to work out a story with him, but that obviously fell through whether it was by the studio or other reasons.

And Jane would be a good Nick Fury (he can rock the eye patch pretty good), but only second to Michael Biehn.

Ive seen the new Punisher film about 4 times now. I loved both of the films and both had there pros and cons but I dont know when it comes down to it I like the newer one a little bit more. The story is ok... the acting was decent at best but the hardcore action and the awesome look it had to the film really won me over. I also would have to go with Ray just a tad bit better then Jane. Both brought awesomeness to the character but I would say Ray looked and acted more to the comics then Jane. Not saying I didnt like the 04 version.. showed much more emotion..but I just wasnt a fan of the whole Howard Saint thing.. in bright sunny Florida :(

I have to say that I did like Ray a bit more then Jane (Sorry Tom), but the problem was just a lot of his dialogue like "Don't die on me" and "Let me put you out of MY misery" :lol:, but both actors had to say some cheesy things, which is why they should get to write their own.

I saw the movie again last night, and I realized I really enjoyed the first half hour or so, then it went right downhill from there. The chandlair thing didn't even bother me at all, but then after Jigsaw shows up all disfigured, the movie just becomes a comedy. What the hell happened? :(

I know... its like theres this CERTAIN part..that it just shifts modes..but I cant put my finger on it.. opening scenes.. AWESOME...story building on Castle.. AWESOME...Jigsaw getting formed.. not bad...but sometime between that and him getting LJB... it started to lose its seriousness... I hated that pal of Micros... what a TERRIBLE actor...he had such a stereotypical mexican accent... but you see when the film turned from good to bad.. I just kinda thought..oh well atleast its still a fun cheesy B movie.

You know what? Screw the movies for now. Let's get a Punisher HBO series already. It's been mentioned so many times here, and it's the best idea for now. Think about it, it would be like Dexter (with the voice over), but less comedy, more darkness and more of Frank just Kicking ass. The MAX series would work much better for this. 12 eps a season. We can dream, can't we? ;)

Guest AdminGuyX

The franchise is going to be dormant for live action stuff for a long time now guys. But, fan films are another story. I expect lot of fan films.

Damn you, Noeland, crushing our dreams :P , though are most likely right. I there is a slim chance dvd sales for this one COULD save the character, but there's about a 2% chance of that happening.

I don't even see that happening, the 2004 films did modest at the box office and had really great DVD sales. This one was a flat out bomb and like Mr. Palmiotti said in this thread, it was a franchise killer.

And.....

I'm having a geekgasm!

Nomad

Damn I love that ideal!!Ray as The Punisher,Tom as Nick Fury and Garth writing the script, that movie would ROCK!! :D

I couldn't find just the right place to put this, so it's here!

These are my holiday "gifts" to my fellow (and sister?) Punisher fans. I hope at least ONE of them makes you laugh! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulwy7E0S7a8

And to those of you who would like something a bit more traditional, there's this! Woof!

Happy Holidays to you all! :P

xo,

Nomad

Dude Mike that was hilarious