Tim Bradstreet

The Punisher: WarZone

Well I just got back from seeing the movie. And here are some of my shitty disjointed thoughts on it.

OK, Stevenson was pretty great as Frank Castle, though the flaw in it was the scene in which he says, "Don't die on me, you're gonna be OK." That is something Castle would never say to someone, especially someone with an axe buried don't in there chest. What he should have said was, "There is nothing I can do for you." Other than that minor thing he was great.

Wayne Knight and Doug Huchison were pretty good too, there rest of the cast I'll get to in a bit.

The action was pretty good too, when people were saying heads were exploding left and right in the film I figured I'd be seeing more of fat man in elevator type thing, I was some what disappointed. I found it hilarious

that the parkour guy just disappears into a puff of smoke

. The mansion massacre wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I still prefer the Hensleigh/comic version of that assault.

The score was pretty great too.

Also, I will eat crow and say the lighting wasn't bad at all, especially with the church scene that just looked great. Steve Gainer, ASC you shot a hell of a movie. I apologize for all the shit I gave you about the lighting.

Now for the bad, most of the actors were playing it so damn broad, and I found the accents to be fairly horrible. I thought the story sucked, the dialogue was bad, it all seemed like an after thought. I really believe that Alexander just leafed through the comics and took notes on the kills and then realized, wait I need to put in all this silly dialogue.

West was alright when he was Russoti, but once he goes all Jigsaw it just becomes so fucking hammy. Dash Mihok, who is usually pretty entertaining, I found him to kinda bad in this. I know Soap is suppose to come off as a bit aloof, but it seemed like he was playing Soap like he had Asperger syndrome, his last line is pretty funny though. Julie Benz the less said the better.

I hated what they did with the characters from the comics, Pittsy and Ink are just there. Though Ink was alright I guess as he was never really much of a presence in the comic, but is just utterly wasted. Maginty, they take this bad Irish psycho mother fucker and turn him into a parkouring meth addict, just pointless. And of coarse the Bulats, the main villains from what is widely consider one of Garth Ennis' best stories from his MAX run The Slavers, and here they a reduced to a plot device for a MacGuffin.

And the Micro stuff, was something I actually liked quite a bit, more so in the script version.

It makes a little better sense in the script, LBJ and Jigsaw visit him to find out how to get to Castle, they kill his mother and he's left to live. It's a quite sad scene. In the actual movie he's got a police file and is a known accomplice of Castle and is easily found and then shot in the head

. I thought it was just better in the script, I know I'm shocked about that too.

Also, I found it funny that the two times Castle gets shot in the back, the shooters only take one shot and just stand there waiting to be shot.

So all in all Ray was great, it looked nice. But the character deserved better. And sadly since the box office for it is looking pretty abysmal it'll probably be the last movie unless it does gangbusters on DVD.

I just got back from this too. I liked it, but it was also not what I was hoping for. They did a lot right and a lot wrong. I will say though that I liked Ray but I liked how Jigsaw was portrayed even better. In the old comics he was just a lackie waiting for the right moment to step into place. Nothing he did really made me say "wow, what a villian", he was just the guy the Frank liked to toy with and not kill. Then there was the Fraction stuff in War Journal. Up until that point, I was a fan. His characterization of Jigsaw killed that for me. Here we finally get a ruthless villian. All the sterotypical mobster stuff fit great for this.

Micro, I liked. Hated him in the books, but he really worked in this. I only wish they would have done more.

I'm dissapointed as to what they did with him in the end.

Ray was good. I liked what he did. Too bad Tom never had the chance to get to this point with the character where he could just be The Punisher and not just transforming into him.

The stuff with LBJ and Maginty could have been cut. Doug was good, but I didn't care for the character too much, but Maginty and his crew was over the top. The rocket scene really pulled me out and I found them annoying.

Over all, it was good. I was glad to see some action and lot of gun play as well as the MAX violence, but it was not as serious as MAX, it was more in line with the MK series. I felt the same with the 04 version, they were getting close, but not quite there. Still, it was fun and I'll see it again.

I forgot to mention the way in which Russoti goes about giving himself the moniker Jigsaw. "Hey look at that, a puzzle on the big TV outside, I'll call myself Jigsaw now." This movie.

Yeesh, $1,650,000 on Friday, anybody still think December was a good time to release the movie?

I forgot to mention the way in which Russoti goes about giving himself the moniker Jigsaw. "Hey look at taht, puzzle on the big TV outside, I'll call myself Jigsaw now." This movie.

Yeesh, $1,650,000 on Friday, anybody still think December was a good time to release the movie?

That was not as bad as the Scarface refrence under the jumbotron screen.

I should also mention that the score was great. Sadly there were a few times that it was cut short to make room for the metal music.

Also, Steve did a great job as d.p. Remember all the hype over the look of the film, it's not as bad as it was made out. I thought it looked pretty good.

Yeah, Steve did do a good job. Like I said, I really dug how the lighting was done in the church scene.

Yeah, it is really bad. The 2004 film opened to $5,150,000 and it was up against Kill Bill Vol. 2. This pretty much had nothing directly opening with it. Counter programming can end up biting you in the ass, or it was just bad word of mouth.

I just got back from the theater. I had a lot of fun. In my opinion it was the best Punisher movie we've been given so far. Sure, it wasn't the best movie and there were some off bits, but all in all I thought It was one hell of an enjoyable movie. I didn't like the fact that so many villains from the comics were just thrown in and killed out so quickly when they could have had more done with them. There were a lot of bits in the movie that made everyone in the theater say "Oh!" at the same time, like the part with the free-runner and the grenade launcher and Ink's face.

The action was great and I dug what story there was (even though what was happened to be a bit thin.) I was just mostly dumb fun. You don't really need to think a lot when you see it. It could have been a bit more serious, but bits of comedy isn't really new to the Punisher.

As for acting I didn't think there was anything wrong with it, I heard a lot of people complaining about Julie Benz but I thought she did an alright job. As for Jigsaw and co's accents, many people complain that they were too over the top, but I think that was the point. I thought Jigsaw and LBJ were great villains and great fun at the same time. Stevenson pretty much embodied the Punisher for me, just as I had hoped he would since the beginning. It's a shame that it doesn't look like it's going to do well in the theaters, I would love a sequel.

The things is everyone had accents though, the Russians, the Asians, the Irish, the cops, the mobsters, Micro's ex-gang banger friend. And they were all pretty bad ones at that.

If the story and dialogue was actually good I wouldn't have given shit if it took place in Buttfuck Idaho. I think Alexander just thought, it's a comic book, it's silly, Jigsaw has a funny face and it's violent.

The things is everyone had accents though, the Russians, the Asians, the Irish, the cops, the mobsters, Micro's ex-gang banger friend. And they were all pretty bad ones at that.

If the story and dialogue was actually good I wouldn't have given shit if it took place in Buttfuck Idaho. I think Alexander just thought, it's a comic book, it's silly, Jigsaw has a funny face and it's violent.

Well the Asian and Irish characters had at most four lines between them (except Maginty who had more). But Bulat's accent was genuine.

Also, I forgot about Cesare's 'what's a matter you, shut upa you face' Italian accent.

The more I've thought about, the more I've come to really dislike the way Soap was portrayed in the movie, he comes off as really having some mild form of retardation.

Also, I forgot about Cesare's 'what's a matter you, shut upa you face' Italian accent.

The more I've thought about, the more I've come to really dislike the way Soap was portrayed in the movie, he comes off as really having some mild form of retardation.

I just took it has he was really inept, anxious and jumpy.

I just took it has he was really inept, anxious and jumpy.

The thing is the character read differently on the page, you get the feeling he's inept and a joke to the department, not this bumbling, mumbling guy that may have some mental disorder that's on the film who has trouble loading and cocking a gun.

And the scene where it's revealed that he's working with Castle, it has no weight to it, it just comes off as 'oh yeah really, they're in cahoots.' It's disappointing, because I was pretty happy to here that Mihok was cast as Soap, I don't know if it was his idea or Lexi's, but the characterization felt off.

The thing is the character read differently on the page, you get the feeling he's inept and a joke to the department, not this bumbling, mumbling guy that may have some mental disorder that's on the film who has trouble loading and cocking a gun.

And the scene where it's revealed that he's working with Castle, it has no weight to it, it just comes off as 'oh yeah really, they're in cahoots.' It's disappointing, because I was pretty happy to here that Mihok was cast as Soap, I don't know if it was his idea or Lexi's, but the characterization felt off.

In the script, it seemed clear that Soap's bumbling persona was a sly put-on that some cops were wise to; Soap could be the inept and unlucky one who never would catch Frank, and that was just how everybody wanted it. It didn't quite come off on screen with that complexity. That might have something to do with editing. That's just a guess, though.

Nomad

I didn't have too much of a problem with Soap. I just figured he did not want to get caught helping out Frank. The only think I didn't care for was the delivery of the last line. It was funny, but I don't think it was delivered very good. It seemed like a cold reading to me.

I think this review sums up what kinda audience this film caters to, heres the summary...

"Punisher: War Zone" is an amazing piece of ass kicking B-movie B-movieness. A stunning achievement, the kind of hyper violent action movie that will cause you to, at least once, stand up and yell "Motherfucker!" in absolute glee. Well, I didn't, but I did say it while sitting down. I wanted to stand up. Thank you, Lexi Alexander, for giving us a masterpiece. And you had a good run, Dolph, but there's a new Punisher in town. Ray Stevenson. Yeah.

full review:

http://www.411mania.com/movies/film_reviews/91894

1.6m at the box office looks to be a disaster though, but when am I going to get this thing in the UK??

I think all of us knew that this film wouldn't exactally be a huge success at the box office.

What has happened to the Punisher? In 2004, Thomas Jane became the second actor to play the lead role as filmmakers tried to revamp the 1989 film which starred Dolph Lundgren. The 2004 version, The Punisher, wasn’t too bad of a film as it told the story of how Frank Castle became the vigilante named The Punisher. The Punisher/Frank Castle, a normal looking ex-Delta Force soldier, was portrayed pretty well through Thomas Jane. Shortly after the film released, Lionsgate announced that it was pursuing a sequel, Punisher 2, which would show how Frank Castle takes the law into his own hands, but with Thomas Jane and director Jonathan Hensleigh leaving the project, the studio decided to revamp the franchise again rather than producing a sequel, making it the third attempt in getting it off the ground.

Continuing on his one-man vs. the criminal world crusade, vigilante-hero Frank Castle’s next victim is mob boss Billy Russoti. After being mutilated by Frank, Russoti seeks revenge under his new pseudonym: Jigsaw, not to be mistaken with Saw’s villain of the same name. With the cops on his back and the FBI not able to take down Jigsaw, Frank must stand up to and take down the large army Jigsaw has recruited before more damage is done to the city.

Taking the lead in the film is HBO’s Rome star, Ray Stevenson, while director Lexi Alexander takes on the helm behind the camera.

Right from the get-go, Punisher: War Zone is plagued with cheesiness, stupidity and blood-loving characters. Within the first 5-10 minutes, you think the movie is going to end soon as Frank Castle kills every person in the building! Who’s left to kill? The joke in the theatre wasn’t “Who’s going to die?”, but “How will they be killed?”.

Throughout the movie, the audience is shown some of Castle’s backstory of how he became The Punisher as if we had never seen the 2004 action flick. The family pictures and memories were re-done with Ray Stevenson and some of the flashbacks didn’t coincide with what we have seen before: his family being run over by a truck on a dock (The Punisher) vs. his family being killed after witnessing a mob execution while picnicking in Central Park (Punisher: War Zone). With the images from the 2004 film still so real in our heads, how can you tell us something different, although it may be more true to the comic book? If the film with Thomas Jane was made in the 1980’s or early 1990’s, we would be more accepting to these changes.

The senseless violence and the blood-thirsty characters in this film is unbelievable! Heads literally flying off shoulders, blood gushing out of bodies and axes stuck in foreheads, is this really an action movie or is it a gory horror flick? With Frank Castle’s image looking more like a Steven Seagal straight-to-DVD character, you could say that Punisher: War Zone is a mash-up of a Steven Seagal flick, a slasher film and a B-movie not worth seeing. You could also describe the film as a look-alike to Jigsaw’s face: ugly, beaten up and mutated! Punisher: War Zone cannot be taken as a serious film because it is so ridiculously bad, that the male dominated theatre was laughing at the movie’s stupidity, senseless brutal violence and bloodfest. On top of not being suitable for children, Punisher: War Zone is not made for the weak stomaches. Unless you like bloody B-movies, you definitely don’t want to waste your money on this flick! If you’re so apt to seeing a Punisher film, you’re best off renting The Punisher, the 2004 action movie starring Thomas Jane.

Source: http://www.sizzlingpopcorn.com/wordpress/2...s-its-audience/

One thought. Is it just me, or is it completely stupid for people to still be comparing ray stevenson's punisher to ANY stephen segal character? This punisher would just sit there and wait for Segal's slow bloated ass to come close enough, and blow his head off at point blank range and then just walk away without uttering some stupid catch phrase ;)

I do however hope that this movie ushers in a new era of over the top b-action flicks that don't take themselves too seriously. As much as I love the new james bond and the bourne character, it's nice to have a new guy in town who just takes the most direct route at winning the fight, not unlike some of the cool characters of the 80's.

For almost a year now, I've been hearing about this "death by lobster" scene, but I do not recall seeing it. As silly as it sounded, I still wanted to see just to have witnessed someone being killed by a lobser.

Mr. Gainer, was this ever shot? I feel cheated for having waited so long ;)

For almost a year now, I've been hearing about this "death by lobster" scene, but I do not recall seeing it. As silly as it sounded, I still wanted to see just to have witnessed someone being killed by a lobser.

Mr. Gainer, was this ever shot? I feel cheated for having waited so long ;)

Sorry JW, no lobsters were harmed in the making of PWZ...

sg,asc

Guest AdminGuyX

OK. I saw it.

Yup.

I'm not sure where to start.

This was one of the worst films I've ever seen.

I didn't have dumb fun. I didn't have any fun. And I REALLY wanted to. I walked into this with the mindset of "Ok, I'm just turning my brain off, and enjoying this." But, I didn't. I didn't enjoy anything about it.

I'm not sure if it was the pencil up the nose, or the fact that Frank Castle was invisible for the first half hour of the film, or just the block headed nature of every character in the movie. Nobody could see him.

He was climbing things, moving around out in plain sight, he was 10 feet away from people, GUARDS who's entire job it was to LOOK for things couldn't even see him . . . standing IN FRONT of them on the hood of a truck, taking the time to take out a stupid collapsible crossbow to kill them, and then, after that, even after the other GUARD who's job it was to LOOK AROUND came running up to him, he still didn't see the mighty invisible Frank Castle.

And to take the cake, an FBI agent, a man who's schooled in the art of seeing, DETECTING things, and is a paid professional at catching people VOWS to "get this guy" who's standing 20 feet away from him, in plain fucking sight, doesn't fucking SEE HIM. I was aghast. I was in awe of the stupidity and moronic nature of this film.

Castle is a wanted man, a known criminal in the media that people talk about, YET, he strolls around the street in full costume, and it seems the only way in and out of his "lair" was through a PUBLIC train station. That probably has cameras, and you know, people in uniform WATCHING for people with guns, let alone a skull on their chest, and big shiny guns sticking out everywhere.

Characters go out of their way to do dumb shit in the movie. Granted, I'm no vigilante, but I don't think climbing up several stories, and jumping through one of the only windows with BOARDS ON IT would have been my tactical entry plan. But then, I don't sleep on a chair with a flannel blanket or make coffee after I kill FBI agents accidentally.

Lets talk about the idiotic Jamaican with the Irish accent. Or, the pointless use of the Russian mob, or the pointless recruiting that Jigsaw did. Was his plan just to use all these recruited gangs to make Castle tired? So that by the time he got to the room with the stairs and the fire, they could kill him because he'd be so tired he couldn't lift a rifle? What was the plan?

The recruiting sequence was just silly. The marching down the road, and the flag in the background were not funny. They were stupid. Really fucking stupid.

I'll admit that when Frank was sleeping on the chair with his flannel blanket, I laughed. WAIT, no I didn't. That was actually the point where I put my head down in shame and cursed the fates that I found myself in the theater watching this terrible, awful, embarrassing excuse for a feature film.

Steve, all due respect, I did not like the colors. Didn't work for me at all. But, to be totally honest with you I was so busy being assaulted by the layer upon layer of terrible acting and horrible story choices, that this could have been the most well shot film in history, and I wouldn't of cared.

By the time we hit the church scene, which stopped the movie, I was already removed from the film, but I just don't see Frank waiting around, or going to church before he assaults the hotel. Or asking for help he didn't want or need. If he was not going to let Budanski in there, WHAT WAS HE ASKING FOR in the church?

He asks Budinski for help, then hits the guy in the face with the butt of his rifle. WHAT THE FUCK?

And, I didn't think LBJ, or Jigsaw were ever well performed, or ever funny, or ever anything but awful. And, the scene at the widow's house was . . . even worse. Just when I was sure "can't get any worse. That's gotta' be the worst of it." Then ink grabs the sword off the wall, I was again amazed at yet another terrible creative choice.

The fight between Castle and Budanski in alley reminded me of THEY LIVE. I was just waiting for them to start kicking each other in the balls repeatedly and for one of them to yell "PUT THESE GLASSES ON!"

The only character I could possibly relate to was Micro, and then only when he was asking Frank to shoot him. I felt the same way.

Soap. Mike mentioned mild retardation, I was thinking that he must have been dropped on his head as a child. A lot.

Right up until the end credits Soap was played stupid, and that's just too bad. That character had a chance to be really cool, really interesting, and he could have been one of the films saving graces.

I did not find anything about this film likable, or enjoyable. Ray was not the Punisher I wanted to see on screen. I give him an A for effort, and with better material I have no doubt Ray could have owned this role. But, he just wasn't given much to do but stand around angry and shoot guns.

I have to give a special mention to the terrible sound FX. When the doctor was peeling off the bandages from Jigsaw's face it sounded like someone was eating lettuce.

Every time even so much as a single drop of blood flew through the air, we were treated with the sound of heavy splashing.

Ok, now I'm not sure where to end, because this really doesn't fully cover how much I loathed this movie.

Disappointment doesn't cover it.

This could have been SO MUCH MORE.