Tim Bradstreet

The Punisher: WarZone

I've been getting a lot of questions about the upcoming film (As I'm sure Tom has).

There is a discussion in my Punisher thread (pinned) where I describe my feeling towards the sequel, if a sequel it is.

Anyway, most of you know that Tom wasn't crazy about the script they wanted to go with, that's no secret. There were some other bones of contention as well.

Not sure if Tom is talking about this stuff yet or not. He's disappointed to be sure. I can't really share a lot concerning that beyond the most crucial facts (from Tom's perspective).

It's a hard thing to put behind you, something you REALLY believed in. Creative differences have spoiled many a fine relationship.

For my part, I am speaking with the production. My ties to Lion's Gate and Marvel, and the Punisher lie along a different creative path than Tom's.

We're talking two different entities here. Tom was the star. I'm just a spoke in the wheel.

Working so closely with Jane the last two years I thought it best to inform him that the production had contacted me and I wanted to know where he stood, provided I opted to join the festivities (and hey, for a while there I wasn't sure they'd want me). I'm sure Tom would rather I steer clear but he's pragmatic and he's told me "You gotta do what you gotta do."

And we'll see. There is nothing official decided yet. I'm talking to them, that's it for now. They are already in pre-production or actively IN production up in Montreal.

So Punisher fans, you're going to get your gritty urban NY feel. A LOT of folks bashed the first one because it didn't have that.

Anyway, I won't be able to answer most questions you'd probably like to ask, not yet anyway. But if you want to discuss the new film, let's do it here.

If you look around online there are versions of the script out there. Someone sent me a link to one yesterday and the guy who had procured it was blogging about how terrible it was.

But I honestly don't even know if it's the current draft. As a Punisher fan myself I am keeping an open mind. I LOVE Ray Stevenson, and Lexi's work is very intriguing. I'm watching one of her films this weekend that a friend said I had to see. One thing I am sure of is that Gale Anne Hurd is back in the producer's chair. Gale is one of my Hollywood heroes. Her work with Cameron and beyond is the stuff of legends. She knows the game and she plays it well. Bad script or no, we all know this is a director's medium so there is a lot riding on Lexi's shoulders. It's an uphill battle to step into a production that has seen so much adversity. She's put herself into the unenviable position of trying to top the first film, please a very fickle fan base, and do it ALL with a different and unproven set of tools (I'm talking cast and script). Can she save it? To me she seems the kind of person that could. If Ray brings in a performance and a presence to the lead it will make her job a lot easier.

I feel like Clint Fucking Eastwood in Fistful of Dollars, caught between the Rojo's and the Baxter's. One half of me wants to see Tom vindicated in his decision, and the other half of me wants to see a great Punisher film. In the end only one of those things can happen. And I got to walk the fine line between them until we find that out.

Pray with me my brothers and sisters, that I don't get caught in the crossfire ;)

- TB

I feel for you, Tim. I feel the same. As a Punisher fan, I want to see the movie kick ass. But as a fan of Tom ( and lets face it, who in their right mind would want to follow up that performance), I want Tom to be able to say " I told you so".

When I heard Tom was out, first thing I thought of was that LGF was out of their minds not wanting to do the film Tom wanted. I guess he wanted a Taxi Driver type film, and I can see a part of Travis in Frank. The big diffrence being Travis' motivations are not as thought out and as hinged as Frank's. Plus, Taxi Driver is as about as gritty as it gets. LGF claims that their film is dark and gritty, but I guess we will see. With a character called Looney Bin Jim it's not looking so good.

The second thought I had was What's going to happen to Tim? Tim's look IS the Punisher as far as I'm concerned. It's been almost a decade that Tim's covers have graced the book, how could he not be part of this film too? Luckily, Tom seems cool enought to understand this, and I think that says a lot about Tom.

Ultimatly I want to see this thing kick ass. It sounds like it has a good chance to. I guess for me the big thing now is Jigsaw. I see the role was pulled from Paddy Considine ( I'm not sure what the deal was exactly). I wonder who they got? The first film's biggest problem besides Tampa was John Travolta. I love the guy's work, but as a villian, I was not scared for Frank. Paddy, if he would have been Jigsaw, really does not seem as frightening either. I guess that's where the acting comes in, but I was to see a tough as hell brute for Jigsaw.

That's my two cents.

I fucking LOVE Paddy Considine.

Never knew he was being talked about.

If he's out, that sucks.

See Dead Man's Shoes ------> http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/dea...sshoes/trailer/

Bloody F'ing Brilliant.

Seriously, rent it.

- TB

I'm not sure what to think. On one side, Tom left for a reason... I loved what he had in his mind about the sequel. And there's no one I'd rather see play Frank than Tom. But, on the other side I'm a fan of The Punisher and I hope with all my heart that Ray will deliver! With presence, voice and everything else.

I want a dirty, violent, to the point and a f****ing ass kick ride of a movie. No silly shit!

Let's hope it's not as bad as we have been told so far... I hope and think Lexi can pull this off.

When Tom said he wanted a Taxi Driver Punisher movie that seems to mean that Punisher 2 would be realistic, dark, gritty, violent, hearing Frank's voice in the background (like a War Journal entry), and seeing the Punisher becoming more of a dark violent character which is what happens to the character in Taxi Driver and that's what happens to Frank. It would be an action movie of course but with a story and plot and not just an action movie.

Tom didn't say that Frank was going to be just like Travis.

Yep James, I agree with the last part.

But it also didn't mean that he wanted a "like" journey for the character or for that matter to have it play out in any way like the narrative in Taxi Driver.

And I'm not saying that's what you mean.

I only mean to clarify that by saying he wants a Punisher film like Taxi Driver, Tom meant he wanted that seedy, realistic portrayal of the events, a dark urban story that gets to the guts of the characterizations. A bare bones look at the underbelly of society and the monsters that exist there. The feel and the vibe of Taxi Driver which is a lonely story of a lonely man who responds to the violence with his own brand of violence. He's the monster's monster. That's how Tom saw Frank Castle. A hard "R" for very mature subject matter and an unflinching look at the violence that exists in that world. Frank's world.

- TB

PS - Love your signature - one of my all time favorite books.

I love Paddy as well, it would have been cool to see what he could have done. I've never seen Rome, but I have seen King Aurther. Ray seems like he's a big guy. I can't really see Paddy throwing it down with Ray realisticly.

Still need to see Dead Man's Shoes. It's been on my "to do" list for a while now.

Size never really matters that much in a fight. Not always anyway.

I saw some bouncer once, huge f'ing guy, football player, no one would mess with him. One night he got surly with a troublesome patron, and of course thought this guy will NOT be a problem.

The guy in question was a 170lb rugby player and he RUINED big football guy in about 18 seconds. I mean destroyed him. And it wasn't that big football guy wasn't a complete badass, he was. But there is always going to be someone meaner and tougher.

Case in point, check out some of those mano a mano battles that the Punisher and the Hulk-sized Barracuda have had in the pages of Punisher MAX.

Whoops, I mean to say I just read a script for issue 54 and the fight is EPIC, as was their earlier scrap. Barracuda's got 12" of height and 100lbs on Frank easily.

Barracuda is shithouse nuts on top of it. But Frank tunes him up massively. Not that the kid doesn't take some damage himself mind you.

Hell I think it's even scarier when the villain isn't physically imposing to the hero. Obviously that means you gotta compensate in other ways and that can come out of characterization and performance. Based on "Dead Man's Shoes" I can see Paddy pulling it off. Action is character, so if we see Jigsaw doing his thing to others before he squares off with Frank it can help to build credibility there. I wouldn't put anything past a true sociopath.

My two cents.

- tb

Well thank you for agreeing with the last part... lol

Sorry, I was referring to the bit about the narration.

That might have been cool though eh?

- tb

Size never really matters that much in a fight. Not always anyway.

I saw some bouncer once, huge f'ing guy, football player, no one would mess with him. One night he got surly with a troublesome patron, and of course thought this guy will NOT be a problem.

The guy in question was a 170lb rugby player and he RUINED big football guy in about 18 seconds. I mean destroyed him. And it wasn't that big football guy wasn't a complete badass, he was. But there is always going to be someone meaner and tougher.

Case in point, check out some of those mano a mano battles that the Punisher and the Hulk-sized Barracuda have had in the pages of Punisher MAX.

Whoops, I mean to say I just read a script for issue 54 and the fight is EPIC, as was their earlier scrap. Barracuda's got 12" of height and 100lbs on Frank easily.

Barracuda is shithouse nuts on top of it. But Frank tunes him up massively. Not that the kid doesn't take some damage himself mind you.

Hell I think it's even scarier when the villain isn't physically imposing to the hero. Obviously that means you gotta compensate in other ways and that can come out of characterization and performance. Based on "Dead Man's Shoes" I can see Paddy pulling it off. Action is character, so if we see Jigsaw doing his thing to others before he squares off with Frank it can help to build credibility there. I wouldn't put anything past a true sociopath.

My two cents.

- tb

Point well taken.

Well as I said in the other thread I am more worried about the script than anything else. I have to also admit that while I think Ray is a fine actor and I thought he was great in Rome I just do not see him as Frank. If the reports that this is a restart to the franchise are right I am going to be fairly annoyed. There is no reason to discount the 2004 film.

I agree 100% on the fact it is hard to please Punisher fans, one a lot of them are too new to the character to really judge the 2004 movie. I have lost count of how many times I have read someone state that in the blow torch sequence Frank would have used it not tricked the guy with a popsicle. As I am sure any long time Punisher fan knows that scene was pulled right out of Punisher Warzone #1 but if you since many have only been reading the character since WBF they have not a clue.

I will admit Tampa was not the smartest location to set the film in. As for Travolta I don't know that he was meant to be scary really. I always thought of him as the hands off type of character which is why they added the Othello elements to the film.

As for War Zone it just seems like there are way to many characters. Jigsaw, Loony Bin Jim ( what a lame ass name for a character) The under cover FED, Soap, The FBI agent hunting Frank, Detective Budianski, Microchip and Bulat that is a hell of a lot of characters for a 2 hour film. I just see the film being a crowded mess no matter how well Lexi directs it.

Aaron

I agree that I think Thomas Jane looked a lot more like the Punisher, had the intense stare and all.

Aaron

He does. To me Tom has the John Romita Jr. look.

punisher_movie_still_10.jpg

punisher_romita_jr_1.jpg

The Tim Bradstreet look ;)

bradstreet_1of5.jpg

The Steven Dillon look.

punisher-extra02.jpg

dillon_punisher_7.jpg

And the Bill SIENKIEWICZ look.

punisher_unit_a07.jpg

seinkiewicz_umtu_splash.jpg

There are a few more Punisher's that Tom looks like but I can't remember them right now. And lets not forget the voice acting Tom did in the Punisher video game.

Oh I forgot to say... thank you Tim for liking my signature. It's one of my favorite books and movies.

Dominic West has been cast as Jigsaw. I've never seen The Wire. But he was great in '300'.

Wayne Knight is in talk for the role of Microship.

...Newman! :ph34r:

Pretty good casting I think, hopefully Knight can play a serious part. West should be a great Jigsaw

Aaron

Back before Tom was cast in the last one I was thinking West would make an excellent Castle.

Before I knew Tom or his work, even after he was cast I was saying Dominic West.

Funny the parallels.

What can I say? I like the casting too.

Though my money is on Knight's part having an element of comedy, otherwise, why cast Knight?

Though he WAS effective in a somewhat less comedic role in Jurassic.

I hope it's not a comic relief part. I'm smelling it that way but I've been wrong before.

At least once ;)

Even so, Knight rocks.

- tb

I'm hoping the movie is good, but theres a big part of me that really wants to see Tom's idea of the Punisher out there.

I'm hoping the movie is good, but theres a big part of me that really wants to see Tom's idea of the Punisher out there.

Hell yeah, I want to see his idea so bad. The Punisher that is written, produced, directed and damn well stars Thomas Jane. That would be a trip.

Raw, gritty, in your face, rock 'n' roll, punk rock movie. Hell yeah. That would be great. Plus, I really liked how Tom was talking about making him more dirty and insane, that's what I always wanted to see translated to film. That would be crazy.

Damn, figures.

-JO

I see too that Maginty will be showing up. I just hope this does not turn into another Batman and Robin, lets see how many people we can cram into a 90 minute film.

All in all, I'm still holding onto some hope.

well if you don't care about spoilers there is a review of the newest script for the film dated 8/20/2007

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/revi...aid/5553/tcid/1

I had only a small hope for this film to begin with that hope is gone after having read this review of the script

Aaron

Guest AdminGuyX

Script reviews usually suck to read, because the person can only visualize the film as far as thier imagination goes, and I guarantee you this reviewer and Lexi have completely different ideas for what the scenes will be, iconic or otherwise. Plus he says right off the bat he has no particular love of the character, so for me, his review had to be taken with a grain of salt from paragraph 1.

For an example of a mediocre script turning to a decent flick: I thought the script for the new Dawn Of The Dead was pretty aweful to read, but I thought the finished film was entertaining and exciting.

On the flipside, I thought the script for Dogma was pure brilliance, and the finished film was pure dogshit. It was like Kevin Smith directed the charm (and the darkness) right out of his own script.

I thnk the number 1 thing that "Punisher"has going for it right now is that Lexi has a lot to prove, and she seems to know that and wants to bring her A game. I really hope she doesn't phone it in. She doesn't seem the type, but ya' just never know.

a big part of me that really wants to see Tom's idea of the Punisher out there

Yeah, me too. And the sad part is that I would wager most fans of the comic book, and the general viewing audience, probably would also love to see that.

Script reviews usually suck to read, because the person can only visualize the film as far as thier imagination goes, and I guarantee you this reviewer and Lexi have completely different ideas for what the scenes will be, iconic or otherwise. Plus he says right off the bat he has no particular love of the character, so for me, his review had to be taken with a grain of salt from paragraph 1.

For an example of a mediocre script turning to a decent flick: I thought the script for the new Dawn Of The Dead was pretty aweful to read, but I thought the finished film was entertaining and exciting.

On the flipside, I thought the script for Dogma was pure brilliance, and the finished film was pure dogshit. It was like Kevin Smith directed the charm (and the darkness) right out of his own script.

I thnk the number 1 thing that "Punisher"has going for it right now is that Lexi has a lot to prove, and she seems to know that and wants to bring her A game. I really hope she doesn't phone it in. She doesn't seem the type, but ya' just never know.

Yeah, me too. And the sad part is that I would wager most fans of the comic book, and the general viewing audience, probably would also love to see that.

I agree, especially on the Dogma thing. I read the script, saw the movie and was puzzled.

Then, I see an interview with Kevin Smith and he was asked the same thing. He says the the studio fucked him over and told him to make it more slapstick instead of puttin' alot of the darker images and charm in there.

I think Dogma was good, although I can't stand Ben Affleck or Matt Damon, but other than that I would have liked to see Kevin Smith's true version much like I would Tom's version of Punisher.

-JO