Guest AdminGuyX

Open your Sketch Book . . .

Guest AdminGuyX

I've been meaning to do this for weeks now.

I thought it might be fun for us to post some drawings right out of our sketchbooks, and maybe have an informal discussion along the way.

I'm talking the rough, unfinished work you like despite it's incomplete nature.

;)

I'll kick us off with a cowboy quick draw sketch.

draw.jpg

That's pretty cool. I like the stiffness look- like his posture. Its very straight and triggers a sense of determination or adamant or focused- sharp as the bullet firing out of his gun. All that is cool. Love the angles of the hat and sleeve- real threatening.

However, his left hand is screwed up. unless he's wearing some funky mittens.

you got an eraser?

sveinx

hmmm, left hand looks fine to me, but then, I live in Michigan, we wear all kinds of funky mittens here. :P

Here is a rough character sketch I did for a friend...she didn't like it and wanted the character to look more like a punk than a commando...she's a writer, writers are wierd...maybe wierd is too strong a word...screwy? Nah, not that either...a little bit left of center? that seems a bit better...course I'm a pencil hack so I should talk! :blink:

corrupt.jpg

WOW! super-dynamic. acidic.

his left eye is fuckin' ill

and I like the texture of the clothes and this sorta cinged/burned light reflections.

and that gun pops out so far you really think you're gonna get blasted.

nice.

sveinx

Guest FADoss

You Collins bastards make me sick. :P

Amazing work...when am I going to get some cool Fred Doss drawings? :(

Fred

You Collins bastards make me sick. :P

Amazing work...when am I going to get some cool Fred Doss drawings? :(

Fred

just remember ...you asked for it...

Something like this...?

uni-doss.jpg

Or maybe this...

doss-mix-1.jpg

How about the KING baby!

viva-doss.jpg

And finally...tee hee, tee hee, tee hee, muwa hahahaha!

super-doss.jpg

Fred, I hope you had a great 4th man!

Guest AdminGuyX
How about the KING baby!

I laughed so much I peed.

:lol:

I was just not prepared for that . . .

Guest AdminGuyX

This is something from a supernatural western I'm working on. It's a study of a vampire lunging out at someone, haven't shaded the shadows in. Probably won't.

:)

vampire.jpg

Holy crap, these are sketches? My scetches look like something out of a cyanide & happiness comic, compared to you guys.

Any body remember this guy? Late 80's early 90's from First comics.

doss-jack.jpg

I figured i owed him a decent one after Viva Doss Vegas...

and I, knew you, a major Tim Truman fan would know Grimjack.

Guest FADoss
Any body remember this guy? Late 80's early 90's from First comics.

doss-jack.jpg

I MISSED ALL OF THIS UNTIL NOELAND IMEd me. I LOVE THE GRIMJACK!!! Maybe they'll make me a movie? Can we get the rights Noeland? :)

Of course my favorite was the Supergirl. I have such perky nipples.

Fred

Guest AdminGuyX

You know, we might be able to get it. I discussed the SCOUT rights with Tim once. Even started a screenplay, God help me.

;)

Here you go Fred, I needed a good warm up piece today so I thought I'd do this and help with the sales pitch...hey, if TJ can do it with Hex, why not you? It's not a photo but I think I captured the likeness.

easy-company.jpg

Guest FADoss
Here you go Fred, I needed a good warm up piece today so I thought I'd do this and help with the sales pitch...hey, if TJ can do it with Hex, why not you? It's not a photo but I think I captured the likeness.

easy-company.jpg

Posted this on myspace and have gotten some pretty interesting inquiries/complements as to who the talented mofo is who did it. You are the MAN!

Fred

Guest AdminGuyX

Very nice classic marvel vibe you have there. Love to see some more line art from you. I love your digital work, but I really live and breath the black and white. :)

Or, in this case, the black and pale yellow.

;)

Thanks Noeland, I love line art too. I've always enjoyed using colour—but I'm really a black and white diehard. Having said that, I've noticed that (in general) folks don't seem to respond to the black and white stuff as much as the colour, so in light of that I've been experimenting with different techniques...

Using China Marker, as well as thinking about light, shape and value as opposed to "outline".

This study illustrates my point...

superman_by_gunplanet.jpg

The Superman on the left (broken down using a photoshop filter) is a more visually "coherent" allocation of value. The one on the right is rooted more in the idea of line and flourish. While I still intend to incorporate some detail and "flair" I want to be mindful of the overall visual impact of my black and white work... even to the point of not referring to it as "line art" unless creating an outline image (clipart, etc.) is my intention.

Hopefully, I can develop a style that will satisfy both my love of the purity of black and white art, but will allow me to expand the overall impact (and appeal) of the stuff I'm doing...