Tim Bradstreet

Dark Country

Not only is the compostion bad, but the titles really got to me. Tim, you had some great title fonts on the posters you had come up with so far, these are just generic. Then again, so is the whole poster, but hey, lets slap a large red 3D up to so it jumps out at ya <_<

which poster are you referring to here J? i aint seen this one

There was the teaser, which I can seem to find this morning, but it's on Tim's typepad site, and then the one I really dig is the one with character photos in the DARK part of the text (about in the middle of page 5). Love the font on that one. Reminds me of the posters for the psych thrillers of the 60's.

Thanks for picking that up for me K-Skye. Early morning, just getting ready for work, so I was still half asleep.

Thanks for picking that up for me K-Skye. Early morning, just getting ready for work, so I was still half asleep.

No problem. Insomnia here, so not much better.

Besides, you have the new bambina for an excuse. :)

Yes, and unfortunately Sony seems like they don't want any poster designs from me and Tom.

Even if I did them for no cost (out of Tom's pocket) to them.

It would be very easy to make this happen and have some tremendous graphics representing the film.

Instead they seem content to slap some generic (no offense to the designer, I'm sure he was directed to do what he did) straight to video looking imagery on there and call it a day. But it kind of makes sense in some obtuse way since the plan IS to dump it straight to vid.

But EVEN SO . . . for no expense of their own they could have graphics that would leap off the cover and induce people to pick it up and at least look at it.

I'll let that sink in.

You do the math.

- TB

This type of thing isn't relegated to the film industry. I once got commissioned by an author to do the cover of his book. He loved my cover but the publisher refused to use it despite the fact it was the author himself who was saying it summed up his vision for the book. It was going to be a series of books about a Barbarian and i was so excited about doing the whole series... like a "poor man's" Tim Bradstreet doing Punisher covers. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Dude, that is a great idea. Anyone reading this . . . cook something up. We got artists here!!!

Show us what you got. There are lots of photos here in the thread and more options from my production diary.

Or make up some cool graphics. Blow that straight to vid, lifetime television design off the face of the effing planet.

Noeland, DAWE COLLINS, Abe Lincoln, Mike V, all the rest of ya's!!!!

Show us what you got.

I may be encouraged to part with something special if there is a stand out.

Do it.

The gauntlet is thrown.

- TB

Lincoln reporting for duty, SIR!

Keep in mind, this is very early work in progress, and I'm definetly jumping the gun with the whole "Bradstreet seal of approval thing."

Opinions are more welcome than Onions.

darkcountryWIP.jpg

Here's another update. Tim, you have any high res shots of Tom and company (face wise). I'm keeping this a big file so if it aces anyone can print out crisp copies.

darkcountryWIP-1.jpg

And for shits and giggles, here's an odd Japanese one I worked up (since their packages are pretty crazy).

darkcountryjoke.jpg

Oh yeah, if anyone else wants to give this a shot, and yah want a nice crisp Raw logo, just throw your email at me and I'll send a photoshop copy I made.

What exactly is in the Mr. Sparkle Edition? That cover has me intrigued.

LOL . . .

The Japanese Mr. Sparkle edition is priceless.

I can't send out shots that aren't approved or I could get in hot water.

Did you check to see if there was anything useful from the production diary?

This is just for fun guys. Treat it like a gig or do something nutty like the Mr. Sparkle thing. Up to you.

Just keep it in good spirit.

I think they'd be fun to send to the home office ;)

Keep 'em coming.

Love it.

- TB

5 in the morning and I can't sleep so I made a Polish version of a Dark Country bootleg DVD.

It's quite crude as I only had windows paint to work with.

darkcountry.png

What exactly is in the Mr. Sparkle Edition? That cover has me intrigued.

Just referencing the episode of the Simpson's where Homer finds a japanese box of soap with his likeness. I bet that scene is on youtube. Also, I was looking through random sites with the worst dvd covers (just to avoid the cliche's), and wound up on a box set of Sledgehammer. I had to parody it.

I can't send out shots that aren't approved or I could get in hot water.

Did you check to see if there was anything useful from the production diary?

Dinglepiper. I'll do the best I can!

It's depressing, I worked for years in commercials and music videos.

I expected the tasteless suits but managed to get around them.

My transition to movies has been a nightmare, the studio politics make the commercials world look like pussy-cats.

I really feel for Tom, he had a very clear vision, clearer than any other director I have worked with, he communicated that vision well.

He deserves better.

geoff

Just referencing the episode of the Simpson's where Homer finds a japanese box of soap with his likeness. I bet that scene is on youtube. Also, I was looking through random sites with the worst dvd covers (just to avoid the cliche's), and wound up on a box set of Sledgehammer. I had to parody it.

You should check out Polish movie posters, those are weird and a lot of the time really cool.

It's depressing, I worked for years in commercials and music videos.

I expected the tasteless suits but managed to get around them.

My transition to movies has been a nightmare, the studio politics make the commercials world look like pussy-cats.

I really feel for Tom, he had a very clear vision, clearer than any other director I have worked with, he communicated that vision well.

He deserves better.

geoff

Lack of support is the big stick in the ribs here.

Tom's got a neat little movie but it's still in a bit of a state.

It needs a bit of love to really shine for what it is.

I understand the studio cannot put any more real $ into it. I get it.

But when you have the support of friends who are willing to work to fix these things gratis then where is the harm in letting that happen?

I'm not just talking about a poster, or a trailer (which nothing is going to get done about either).

I'm talking some editing, some tightening, and some technical issues that 'if left as is' compromise the film.

I'm not sure I understand the logic. For no, or very little additional funding a better film is the result.

It's like they want it to fail. How does that make sense?

It feels rather like TJ is being thrown to the wolves.

Damn, shit, Hell, and damn.

The good news is that what looked ridiculously dark in the print we saw last week seems to look fine in the trailer so the colors and the balance of what we were seeing in post seem to be fine in 2D. I mean, the scene where Lauren has her arm out the window of the car . . . There was no background visible in the print we saw. I know that shot and it looks tremendous. You can see it for what it is in the trailer. Lot's of depth and you can see this big sweeping gorgeous sky in the background. Fuck, the print was so dark you could hardly see the car. The print was, AHHHHHHHHHHH! And that's what the Sony execs saw. That very dark and imperfect print is not representative of all the hard work that went into the film. You said it Geoff . . . . "depressing."

The true fucking SHAME is that 99% of the people that see this film will not see it in amazing 3D. I've seen pieces of the film at Paradise FX in full 3D and the depth, the colors, the resonance is absolutely astonishing. GAH!

- tb

It's like they want it to fail. How does that make sense?

Unconscious sabotage. They fear it, don't understand it and aren't ready for it. Remember their first reaction to talkies.

These are primoridal-lizard-brain-money-changers making these decisions - they aren't artists. If the muse walked into their lives, they'd try to shackle her to a factory line. So appeals to artistic quality aren't going to work.

Oh, and I bet they would never do anything for free. 'Free' actually has more strings than paying for something. There's nothing a lawyer hates more than his own guilt.

From what I've read here and there, I get the impression that Dark Country is a bit before it's time. That's not necessarily a bad thing. That means it still has a future.

If you look at the films that are coming out in the next year or two in 3D, they are almost ALL aimed at kids, tweens and teens. Family movies bring in a lot of money and the theaters who make the investment to put in the tech needed to screen a 3D flick want a return on their investment. That's not terribly unreasonable.

But those teenyboppers will grow up expecting movies in 3D. You know how nowadays the younguns complain when a film is black and white. Well, a few years from now, it will be 2D that will be retro.

I'm guessing (but really have no clue) that whomever owns the rights to distribute, wants to get it out on DVD in time for Halloween. Therefore, an October release. If it sells well, there might be interest in doing a quick and wide release in 3D in late October, 2010. By then, maybe all the kinks can be worked out.

Just some thoughts.

Whatever happened to the mentality that a good ol' horror flick will get guys to take their gals to go see it so they can snuggle up together, plus it's in 3-D! That'll really hook 'em. Oh wait, I'm in the wrong era ;)

Either way, what did the film cost in total? Plus you have the now smash hit star of Hung staring and directing, and it's in 3-D. Not to mention the cool as all hell images that we've seen so far. So you got the young to mid rage folks engaged. Plus, from the trailer, it's looking pretty fucking Hitchcock. That just might draw in an older crowd as well. Going to see No Country For Old Men, there were a lot of older couples, mostly based on the style of the film. Jane has made it no secret of being influenced by the noir films of yesteryear, and frankly a lot of people want that style back. I know I do. Fuck all the MTV glam. It's good in small doeses, but I'm overdue for a film about quality of footage, not quantity of frame cuts.

The true fucking SHAME is that 99% of the people that see this film will not see it in amazing 3D.

What? WHAT!!! Do you mean the 3D is pretty much done, and they're not using it, or it will be diminished on the dvd?

The thought that it's ready to go in 3D and they're not going to bother.... I just don't have the words.

I honestly don't know about their intentions for 3D on the DVD.

All I know is that we'll never really get a chance to see this on the big screen unless TJ is allowed to continue tinkering and we can get ahold of a print to show at festivals or something. I believe TJ bought one more day in the editing room but I fear that won't be enough.

Be nice if I'd seen a decent print of the film. I'm not sure how much that effected what I watched besides the darkness and the botched 3D.

Like to see a clean gorgeous print with everything working, then it'd be easier to tell.

- tb

Cryin' damn shame is all I can say. Seems almost a waste of time and talent, not to mention money.

Feel terrible for TJ and for all of us fans who may never get to see his true vision realized.

I honestly don't know about their intentions for 3D on the DVD.

All I know is that we'll never really get a chance to see this on the big screen unless TJ is allowed to continue tinkering and we can get ahold of a print to show at festivals or something. I believe TJ bought one more day in the editing room but I fear that won't be enough.

Be nice if I'd seen a decent print of the film. I'm not sure how much that effected what I watched besides the darkness and the botched 3D.

Like to see a clean gorgeous print with everything working, then it'd be easier to tell.

- tb

Hell! forget film prints, they are the way of the dinosaur.

This needs, and will only work in a 3D digital release.

No 3D films are released any other way now, what are they wasting money on film prints for?

Geoff