Tim Bradstreet

Dark Country

Great podcast. I love how on all the Tom Jane podcasts, there is something always going on in the background. The guy is always on the go. I really feel for him on the film industry thing though. Too bad the only films getting any attention anymore are the ones with $80 million budgets. I miss the down and dirty films that pull no punches. Glad Tom's out there on the front lines fighting for us. If only we could recruit more Hollywood folk the bust down the doors.

Wasn't there one where he got locked out of his house or something? That was a fun one.

Tom came across this positive review for Dark Country. I don't think it's posted here yet. :) Beware of kinda plot spoilers though, or at least more in depth coverage than I've seen in other reviews:

"Thomas proves he had the goods to direct not only competently but artistically. Dynamic performances by Thomas Jane and Lauren German work like a charm..."

http://www.horrornews.net/reviews/Review_Dark_Country.htm

Jen

Yep, good things going on for Dark Country right now.

I'm sure it will get it's share of negative reviews too cause you just can't please everyone, but hopefully you are enjoying the positive reviews and I think it's easy to decide wether or not it's your cup of tea based on the comments and descriptions we've been hearing from the unbiased sector.

We're very excited about it and we're also very excited about screening the 3D version of the film at the upcoming Long Beach Comicon this next weekend.

DC will play in 3D very rarely since it won't get a theatrical release, the stars must align for it to happen. Thankfully the Stereo Club of Southern California came to the rescue for us at Long Beach and are making it possible for us to screen in 3D!! Prior to this we were told NO, since the con didn't have the resources to show it in 3D and renting a screen at the local theater was going to be way too expensive.

So big thanks to the Stereo Club!!!!! Thanks folks, we appreciate you to death.

Really hope some of our members can make it out for the show.

Double dose of the RAW boys since we're also screening Give 'Em Hell Malone on Saturday!!

Woohoo!

We have some other fun news to report coming up very soon so stay tuned.

- TB

Hey, Tim, what's the news on NY Comic Con? Is there going to be a screening there? And will you and Thomas be there?

I hope so. I'm thinking of making the trip down to the Big Apple that weekend. Would love to see you guys there, and the movie.

Nice surprise to see a Dark Country preview on my Rescue Me DVD (season 5, volume 1, disc 3, special features).

Quite a gripping preview ... actually made me tense!

Nice find Jweb!

Thanks for posting.

JoBlo was real cool and wanted to really work with us on coverage and promo for Dark Country.

It was pretty much all Tom. The studio cooperated but they haven't been going out of their way to promote this.

They just never really understood what Tom was trying to do with it which translates into, they don't get it.

Which translates into, they don't really give a toss and all they want is to recoup investment and hope for profit.

They aren't really going to put a dime into promoting in any way beyond the standard norm for distributing any DTV property.

If they could realize and embrace that there IS a subculture for this flavor of a film and for TJ in general, and put a little more dough into the marketing . . . Even use the art we cooked up, it would have only helped to put $ in their pockets. Better awareness, better graphics, shit, just a little love and it translates into moving more units.

All rather frustrating but that's part of playing this game of art and creativity VS commerce.

- TB

PS - MF - I don't have confirmation on screening Dark Country at NY yet.

You'd think with surprising mass audience for HUNG (at least surprising for HBO) that they could use "Thomas Jane from HUNG" to push a few more folks into the theaters. What was the final cost on Dark Country, wasn't it around 4-5 mil? I can't imagine it would be that hard to recoup the total costs on the film. Who the hell knows anymore.

It all boils down to budget politics and bottom line. There just isn't any money to justify additional spending because if it passes a certain amount then it means that everyone, EVERYONE who worked on the film gets bumped to a higher pay rate/scale, and it's a union picture too. Which would end up costing Sony a pretty penny. They will not let that happen.

So the door is closed.

I get all that but it still doesn't explain the studio's reticence to use better artwork or to let us recut a trailer for FREE - or at the very least remove the STUPID voiceover from the trailer we got. Or yeah, banking on Tom as a hot property right now. The cool bloodyface poster probably wouldn't be the best way to go but we could have easily created a poster/cover that featured Tom's character and it would have kicked ass.

You saw fan response to the artwork we generated, it was overwhelmingly positive.

So the stuff Brian mentioned about the studios dumbing the marketing down to appeal to a wider audience to me seems rather moot.

Bottom line with me is, it's never worth dumbing ANYTHING down. It's a ridiculous compromise, at least for a film like this.

I get it when you're serving bread and butter, but this type of film is nitch. Everyone KNOWS it's nitch. So why not go nitch with the F'ing marketing concept?

I'm surprised I have any hair left ;)

- TB

PS - MF - I don't have confirmation on screening Dark Country at NY yet.

Okay, Tim. Are you and Thomas gonna be there though? Would be fun to meet IRL.

The cool bloodyface poster probably wouldn't be the best way to go but we could have easily created a poster/cover that featured Tom's character and it would have kicked ass.

- TB

The thing I like about the bloodyface poster (other than it looks compleatly kick-ass) is that a lot of folks thought it was Tom. I guess I don't want an answer to this until after the 6th, but I'm kind of wondering if it was not intentional? They do look a lot alike. Hmmm....

It's tempting, but I'm really going to wait on this one. I want to see this without any warning. But if anyone is interested, I see joblo.com has some clips set up.

http://www.joblo.com/video/video_search.ph...he+dark+country

Thanks for that great link JWeber! :D

I especially like clip #3 because of its tense, claustrophobic, noir, dream-like (nightmare-like) state with the 2 characters in the car talking and also another scene that plays out in the backdrop, etc... Very interesting style!

Jen

I'm sill holding out here. The only footage I've seen so far in the trailer, but the temptation is getting to me ;)

Only one more week to go! It's starting to feel like the day before Christmas at the age of 6. Time just seems to stand still.

I'm sill holding out here. The only footage I've seen so far in the trailer, but the temptation is getting to me ;)

Only one more week to go! It's starting to feel like the day before Christmas at the age of 6. Time just seems to stand still.

That's true; I don't want to know too much beforehand either, but it's interesting to see the style of the shoot; what Tom is going for. I'll try not to blab too much about it yet! :lol:

Behind Scenes of Dark Country Video Clip online.

It's about the freezing temps the cast 'n' crew faced in shooting Dark Country when it was really supposed to be hot temps! :o That must've been shooting under duress...

The clip mainly features Geoffrey Boyle, Ron Perlman, and Lauren German, with a lil snip of Tom in the car:

http://geektyrant.com/2009/09/dark-country...rette-the-cold/

I actually didn't even want to view the trailer for Dark Country, but I broke down and just watched it, and WOW - I want to see this film asap!! :D

Amazing look, mysterious, noir, tense 'n' unsettled feeling, innocence leading to corruption (of the couple and as individuals), if that makes sense. I want to go on this journey and see how the road goes and where it takes me...

Check out the Dark Country banners that are up at JoBlo.com, Chud.com, and AICN.

The film is part of a 'Horror Unleashed' campaign run by Sony (I'm assuming) and Dark Country is one of the films listed (the DVD cover zooms by in the early stages of the active ad)! :D

They're on the main pages of JoBlo and Chud. I took a peek at AICN and didn't see the banner, but maybe it's not up yet, or I can't see for squat. :P

Jen

Oh, yeah - and then you can actually go to http://horrorunleashed.gorillanation.com/dark-country

to see some DC clips (trailer, and 2 clips. one a different behind-the-scenes glimpse of the set and Tom directing and starring, with some talking heads of Lauren German and a blip of Ron Perlman) and other fun stuff.

Jen

There's a new, cool, long Interview with Tom at MovieWeb.com.

Check it out at:

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NE1Tg338SNH243

I love how MovieWeb intros the interview with the tag:

"This thrilling new neo-noir masterpiece hits DVD on October 6th"

Jen

Here's a link to a new review of Dark Country from Fangoria!

Beware of sorta plot spoilers (well, if you don't want to know anything about the set up of the plot):

"Jane’s visual sense assures that the film is always a spooky pleasure to watch, though, and the interplay between him and German feels real, and keeps you involved enough to hope nothing too dire happens..."

http://www.fangoria.com/reviews/3-dvd-a-bl...dvd-review.html

Jen

You may not want to read this review until after seeing the film, but this review is very good and detailed and has some interesting things to say about Tom's directing style and the film itself and the actors.

"Though Dark Country does have its flaws, being mundane and ordinary certainly isn't one of them. This is a peculiar, fascinating viewing experience, indicating that if nothing else Thomas Jane has a striking voice behind the camera."

and

"It's all up to the two leads to make the film work. Their performances are quite stellar..."

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/darkcountry.php

Jen

Here's a link to a new review of Dark Country from Fangoria!

Beware of sorta plot spoilers (well, if you don't want to know anything about the set up of the plot):

"Jane’s visual sense assures that the film is always a spooky pleasure to watch, though, and the interplay between him and German feels real, and keeps you involved enough to hope nothing too dire happens..."

http://www.fangoria.com/reviews/3-dvd-a-bl...dvd-review.html

Jen

Glad to see Tim will be gettting a little screen time on the special features.

Link to glowing review of Dark Country seen by the reviewer in 3-D at Long Beach Comic Con:

"The film was shot beautifully! That’s one of it’s strongest qualities. Each shot was set up perfectly and looked like a work of art."

http://geektyrant.com/2009/10/review-thoma...s-dark-country/

Jen