Tim Bradstreet

Dark Country

That one poster the Allcock gallery with the red, is exactly what I was trying to do, except his is a shit ton better.

There has long been talk of Allcock illustrating a Dark Country GN, which is the story told from an alternate perspective.

That's great, it's an interesting plan and not just a rehash/straight adaptation of the film. I'm pretty sure it's already written by Tab.

I'm just not sure that Tom will do it now that the film is so close to release.

It'd be awesome for sure. Let's see what Tom says. He may still be down for it.

- TB

For awhile, I actually thought the Dark Country already was a graphic novel. I think I even looked for it at Barnes and Noble once.

We need some good adaptations of movies into comics. Too many times they're done to cash in on the movie's release, and are usually pretty bad (I had bought the Punisher movie adaptation pretty much to clear free shipping once). Either that, or they're just line for line from the movie, which also isn't cool.

The potential to do some really cool things with these movies is almost overwhelming. I know I'd buy the books... with sketches ;)

Yeah, a graphic novel would be great! Especially told from a different perspective would be interesting :)

I just looked at the official and very... modest DVD cover again and I really wonder what the people in charge at Sony or whatever think? I mean you guys create covers, which are ten times better, for free and they go with this crappy thing. It looks like they don't give a shit about the product, which doesn't make any sense, at least I don't get it. They want to sell it, right? They want to make as much money as possible, so why don't they choose the best marketing tools they can get, especially if it would be for free or for a very low price. It's not like "we can't afford it to invest in a really good DVD cover"...

Especially for a low-budget flick that goes direct to DVD the cover is even more important. Most people won't see the alternate covers at the website at first, they will see the official one at Amazon or in the store and does that official cover grab your attention in a positive way? I guess not.

SotD - You mirror our thoughts almost exactly.

This is the very reason that things like this are so very very frustrating.

It took me a long time to realize that creative studio decisions are very often the reason behind me disliking something I might ordinarily have embraced much more. It's so easy to blame the director or other actual creative entities. It's a constant battle - Creativity and originality VS the short sighted business side. This is what we preach here - the clear vision, originality, working in conjunction with like minds. Hardly anyone is immune when someone else is paying the bills.

But if the folks that ARE paying the bills could have an open mind and a few ounces of faith in the creators then obviously that's a case when there is balance.

Not every studio decision is crap, a lot of the things they do are great and go unobserved. But in my experience the bad unfortunately far outweighs the good.

- TB

I've heard studio marketing people say that they create the packaging to appeal to Middle America or the casual viewer. They know the hardcore fans are going to buy certain titles regardless of the marketing or packaging, so they could care less about catering to them. They wanna catch regular folks in Target or WalMart, so most of the time they just slap the faces of the stars on the cover and hope that does the job.

That's fucking insulting. Sure a lot of folks can fall into that, but living in middle America, a recognizable face means shit to me. I want somthing that's going a appeal to the senses, and I know a quite a few others that feel the same way. Someone should take the chance and see what happens by going for visual asthetics rather than tabloid coverage.

Using Jason Statham as an example, you don't know how many times I've heard someone pass by the DVD section only to comment on Crank 2, with Jason's mug front and center, "that guy again. He's in everything" Jason wasn't the first one and won't be the last that I hear those comments about. Not only that, but I hate when a known actor is in a film for only a few minutes and they paste him on the cover. If you're going to slap a crap cover on the DVD, at least put the theatrical poster on it.

It kind of reminds me of The Mist's 2-disc DVD cover, they gave it all this pizazz; fires, destroyed buildings and soldiers, but oddly enough no mist.

It kind of reminds me of The Mist's 2-disc DVD cover, they gave it all this pizazz; fires, destroyed buildings and soldiers, but oddly enough no mist.

I was kind of hoping, after the other Darabont 2-disk sets, that it would have the Stuzan art as well.

Dark Country in upcoming FANGORIA #287: ON-SALE SEPTEMBER 15TH:

"“DARK COUNTRY” TUNES - Genre stalwart Thomas Jane directs and stars in a road trip that really goes to hell."

http://www.fangoria.com/fangoria-entertain...omment_id=16230

Jen

Not fer nuthin but the artwork those sites are posting is stuff I did.

Although I'm happy to credit Allcock's assistance with the MISSING poster design ;)

Didn't see any of Allcock's stuff in those links but I could have missed sumpin'

Cheers all - TB

Wowzers. Looks like Tom gets FUCKED UP in this one! Is that half his ear hanging off?

I'm having a hard time conjuring up another flick with such a bad ass grassroots campaign. With every new poster unveiled, more and more folks seem to be getting excited for this. Hell, I don't think any of these sites have even hit on the fact that there are alternate dvd sleeves yet. That's the ultimate rebelling against a generic dvd release!

I assume this be your handiwork 'Street?

Ha! That does look a bit like TJ but it's actually Con Shell.

Con stunt doubles TJ on most of his films including the recent Give 'Em Hell Malone.

Con plays the mysterious stranger Bloodyface in Dark Country.

JoBlo article had some erroneous information.

We've contacted them and they are correcting.

- TB

PS - Indeed, it's my handiwork ;)

Ha! That does look a bit like TJ but it's actually Con Shell.

Con stunt doubles TJ on most of his films including the recent Give 'Em Hell Malone.

Con plays the mysterious stranger Bloodyface in Dark Country.

JoBlo article had some erroneous information.

We've contacted them and they are correcting.

- TB

PS - Indeed, it's my handiwork ;)

Ohhhh, very similar hair line on the two then. Regardless, great poster!

Any idea when we'll get some more updates on the Dark Country site?

I love that review! Makes me want to see the film even more. Thanks for posting the link. :D

Love this summation line:

"Not only can Thomas Jane rock and roll as an actor, it seems he has a terrific eye as a director."

Jen

Jane on the Arrow in the Head podcast talking Dark Country. That Glen Sherley movie sounds like it could be something interesting.

Great podcast. I love how on all the Tom Jane podcasts, there is something always going on in the background. The guy is always on the go. I really feel for him on the film industry thing though. Too bad the only films getting any attention anymore are the ones with $80 million budgets. I miss the down and dirty films that pull no punches. Glad Tom's out there on the front lines fighting for us. If only we could recruit more Hollywood folk the bust down the doors.