Written by Tab Murphy.

Screenplay by Tab Murphy and Thomas Jane

Directed by Thomas Jane

Cast -

The Man - Thomas Jane

The Woman -

The Stranger -

The Sheriff -

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This dark story of love and death on the highways of America will keep you guessing until the final shot."

Here's the deal. Check back with this thread and you will see me edit the information of this page as things continue to move forward.

I'll list the cast as actors are signed, and list principle crew as well as provide more story details as things are made public.

A unique brand of American Gothic Horror - The Dark Country

- TB

Added 9/09 - The official Dark Country website - Come pay us a visit!

Cast -

The Man - Thomas Jane

The Woman -

The Stranger -

The Sheriff -

I've heard of "no-name" actors before but that's some inspired casting!

Heheh, since I cannot reveal certain information YET, I have to leave things a bit ambiguous.

Still, what would you think of a film where the main character's name is never mentioned?

Or the lead female? And we never learn the name of the Sheriff, or anyone else.

I think that is kinda fucking cool.

The film is casting now so those no-names will be real names very soon.

I'll add some more info as soon as I speak with Tom. He's been in the UK for the last couple weeks but is back tonight.

He was doing additional photog and ADR for "Mutant Chronicles". Tom got to see either a cut of the film or some sequences and he was BLOWN AWAY.

He says it's gonna be a classic!

- TB

PS - welcome to the boards AG!

I second that Tim. Had a mental week with Tom, additional photography was great (I got to play a soldier and do a scene with tom....a gas bomb hits our trenches and i puke all over him...he he!) and the guy is a real pro at that ADR thing. And yes, Mutant Chronicles is shaping up to be one of the most fun and hardcore sci fi actioners in many many years. If you look up the definition of 'romp' or 'rip-roaring' in the dictionary it now says 'see mutant chronicles' and I'm so happy to see a lot ofthe final visuals so close to the storyboard and concept work I've been doing over the last 18 months...it truly is thrilling. Simon Hunter the director is a bloody genius.

we also did some more storyboarding for dark country while tom was in town and man, that is also shaping up to be a classic. Tom has somehow managed to channel the spirit of Alfred Hitchcock and is on the fast track to crafting a cracking little neo noir thriller. I can't wait to see that come together.

Keep it raw,

Dave.

You heard it here kids, straight from a fella who has been very close to both "Mutant Chronicles", AND "Dark Country".

Thanks for the insight David!

When we get a little further along with things we'll ask Dave to post some of his storyboards and preproduction illustrations.

Folks'll dig that most bodaciously.

- Tb

Okay, just cuz I cant hide it anymore, I'll be playing the woman. I'll be having to shave 3 times a day, but I've been told I make a handsome woman, HA! Tom keeps wanting me to come over and rehearse some scene that I would make Ned Beatty cringe. Ewwww.

Tim- no names, VERY nice touch.

Still, what would you think of a film where the main character's name is never mentioned?

Wouldn't that be Eastwood in every spaghetti Western?

Hey David Allcock, never met you yet but I read of your quirky British humour (with a "u") in the other thread. So from one Brit to another see if this one rings any bells.

"Who are you?"

"I can't remember"

"So, you're the man with no name?"

"Yeah! Yeah - that's me - Billy Balfour - the man with no name."

Wouldn't that be Eastwood in every spaghetti Western?

I meant ALL of the main characters.

I could name the Baxter's AND the Rojo's.

Hmm, let's see if I can get Tom to refer to the leading lady as "Angel Eyes" in the script. ;)

- T (Tuco) B

I wanna be in this film. C'mon, Tim. Pull some strings for ol' Uncle Gus!

What do I gotta do? There's nothing beneath me.

Only movie besides the Dollars trilogy I recall no main character name given is Roddy Piper's character in They Live.

Granted, his name is John Nada, but Nada means nothing... so yeah. :huh:

Is this puppy the one that will be shot in 3-D?

Is the filming equipment readily available for this purpose, or do you have to go scrounging around for that type of equipment, you know, checking all the moldy, festering basements of 1950s houses for the right stuff? :lol:

As you can see, I'm not quite on the technological edge... :P

Jen

The plan is for 3D but were also prepared for the reality that we won't have the budget for it.

We'll keep folks posted on progress on that front.

The technology has improved 100 fold since the old days and major studios (Spielberg included) are taking note.

Tom has been championing the 3D casue for years and it's funny how people are finally catching on.

Hopefully we'll get to do it and do it right on Dark Country.

- tb

Guest AdminGuyX

Now we're talkin! ;)

I hope we get a lot of behind the scenes extra's from Dark Country. As I've said elsewhere, I truly enjoy seeing an artist's creative process, and being the film fanatic I am, I love seeing directors at work on set, almost as much as I enjoy watching the work itself. It's one of my favorite things in the world.

what would you think of a film where the main character's name is never mentioned?

Depends on how it's handled and executed in the context of the film. It can can either go "sci fi channel" and not work, or it can go "Sergio Leone" and kick you in the balls.

I'm getting the Leone vibe on this one. :P

You know what... I think Tom should play all the roles in this movie... Even the extras.

:P

sounds very interesting. I look forward to more news on it.

Aaron

A dark story of love and death on the highways of America will keep you guessing until the final shot... there's not that many films that can "keep you guessing". Some have tried but they've just haven't been able to do so. Of course there have been a few. I've heard from Tom that it will be a Hitchcockian thriller and will be filmed in Stereoscopic 3-D. I hope Tom succeeds in doing all that. A dark story of love and death... those are the type of stories I love.

The subject about me doing movie posters for Dark Country came up in a different thread. I'm copying my reply here so we can discuss.

Also, new update.

Dark Country is fully green lit. We have our lead actress (sorry, can't announce a name yet), and shooting begins in less than 5 weeks.

We'll have 3 weeks preproduction (only 3 because Tom already has storyboards completed - created by RAW brother in arms, Dave Allcock (Mutant Chronicles)), and there isn't a TON of other stuff for us to concept. The 3 weeks is mostly for production design and setting up base camp. Tom also recruited Cinematographer Geoff Boyle (Mutant Chronicles, Enemy At The Gates) to be the director of Photography. We have a great artistic crew. And the cast! The cast is REALLY shaping up. We'll be announcing some of the principles in the next few weeks so stay tuned. We're VERY excited.

On the subject of movie posters -

Doing posters for Dark Country has been the plan from the start.

That solidified the moment Tom walked into the Executive Producer's office at Sony and he had one of my Punisher poster's hanging on the wall.

The Exec Producer is a big fan . . . How cool!! Tom said , "Hey, that's Bradstreet's work, that's the guy I want to do the movie posters."

The guy said yeah, I know his work and we'd love if he did the posters. So that pretty much wrote it in stone. We have some very cool concepts for the "A" style theatrical, and some even cooler ideas for the "B" style stuff and hopefully a teaser, which I'm sure I'll be starting on after I return home from the set in November.

- TB

Tim, this film is going to be shot in 3-D, isn't it?

I believe I heard Thomas say that on one (or more) of his podcasts that he has done, specifically I think it was the FatFreeFilm podcast. But he was so passionate talking about the 3-D that it really got my interest piqued in this movie. I love 3-D, as I mentioned in another thread. There was an episode of Patricia's show, Medium, that was shot in 3-D, and it was really cool. I remember reading an article about that, and I think Patricia mentioned on the Tonight Show, about how excited Thomas got when Paul Reubens mentioned the possibility of doing 3-D to Glenn Caron, and Thomas encouraged Glenn Caron to do the show in 3-D because it was a perfect medium (no pun intended) for it. It turned out to be a fantastic episode, and it made me hungry for more 3-D. I wish they would do another episode of that show in 3-D. It's so perfectly suited for it.

Anyway, on the FFF podcast, Thomas was talking about the new technology in 3-D and how it's advancing so rapidly, and what they're trying to do with it for Dark Country, developing a dynamic intraocular lens and all that. He also mentioned the development of "glasses-less" 3-D television screens. Anyway, I found this article that was really interesting. I didn't know if I should copy the entire article over here, so I'm just posting the link. It's pretty cool stuff they're talking about. I can't wait to see some of this. I wonder how long it'll be before this is made available to the public and how long before it becomes affordable for everyone.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797370...=1&nid=2562

The 3-D is really Tom's brainchild here, and Ray Zone's handiwork.

Steve, Jim, and I just did our thing.

Tom has been raving like a lunatic about incorporating 3-D into comics and film since we started this thing up.

Now he's got Bad Planet #3 under his belt and "Dark Country" about to start filming.

And it's funny how it's starting to catch on again. Even Spielberg is working on a film shot in 3D.

The technology has improved so much, and it's only going to get better.

We're just trying to beat the rest of the yahoos out of the gate.

Hey, TB, I found this after I wrote the above and just wanted to add that I think you guys are at the forefront of the coming boom in 3-D. Too bad this technology won't be out before you finish Dark Country, but I think it will still be an awesome movie.

Mediumfan

Guest FADoss

Tim,

I'm an actor out here in New Mexico and just saw that "Dark Country" was officially coming to New Mexico. You and Tom are both amazing and it goes without saying that I would love to work on this project. I'm represented SAG with a military background (still active duty Air Force). I'm looking to make a break from the military to pursue the acting thing full time.

Any idea who will be doing casting? How I can get a hold of them? I'm not asking for a free role. I'd just like a chance to audition for something more than a dayplayer if possible.

Here's my imdb link: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2427168/

If you're interested and can give me an email/snail mail address I will be happy to forward headshots and a resume.

Thanks a million and plan to spend much more time around this forum!

Frederic Doss

I'm not sure how relevant this info is to the fans here, but I found a little business-side blurb online about Dark Country.

"Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions Group has launched Stage 6 Films, a label that will acquire and produce films for theatrical and straight-to-DVD release.

Stage 6 will complement the acquisitions group's busy pipeline of more than 100 films and original projects per year.

Adrian Alperovich, senior exec VP and general manager of the acquisitions group, said Stage 6's slate will mostly be geared toward ancillary markets. But the label, which will handle 10-15 films per year, will also release some of the titles theatrically through Sony's distribution labels and other companies like the Samuel Goldwyn Co. Like Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions Group, Stage 6 will determine whether a title bows theatrically after the film has been made.

Titles on Stage 6's initial slate include the actioner "Conspiracy," starring Val Kilmer, Gary Cole and Jennifer Esposito; the Thomas Jane acting-directing vehicle "Dark Country"; "The Stone House," a horror/thriller directed by Alex Turner and starring Shane West, J.K. Simmons and Leonard Roberts; "The Lodger," starring Alfred Molina and directed by David Ondaatje; and the thriller "Felon," which stars Kilmer, Stephen Dorff and Harold Perrineau. The label's films will largely fall in the $1 million-$10 million budget range..."

You can read the rest at:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797367...=1&nid=2562

Jen

Tim,

I'm an actor out here in New Mexico and just saw that "Dark Country" was officially coming to New Mexico. You and Tom are both amazing and it goes without saying that I would love to work on this project. I'm represented SAG with a military background (still active duty Air Force). I'm looking to make a break from the military to pursue the acting thing full time.

Any idea who will be doing casting? How I can get a hold of them? I'm not asking for a free role. I'd just like a chance to audition for something more than a dayplayer if possible.

Here's my imdb link: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2427168/

If you're interested and can give me an email/snail mail address I will be happy to forward headshots and a resume.

Thanks a million and plan to spend much more time around this forum!

Frederic Doss

Well I don't know much about who it is that's doing the casting at this particular juncture but I can tell you this.

There are only 4 speaking roles in Dark Country and 3 of the 4 are filled. We're in negotiations with the last one.

Only things that are open are non speaking or extra type stuff.

I'm heading to NM Saturday so by then I'll be able to get a little more info for folks.

I'll find out what I can and post stuff here.

Cheers all - tb

I think it's safe to report officially that our Director of Photography is Geoff Boyle, the master cinematographer from "The Mutant Chronicles".

I hope to have some official cast news for everyone real soon.

- TB