Thanks Jayesse8 -

I'm now officially a fan of Rafael Garres.

- TB

You're welcome :) and rightly so - it is an amazing cover!

the script by N & T was incredibly 'zany.' not the Jonah Hex vibe from the books. hopefully that's changing now that a new director is coming on.

all we need is a zany spaghetti comedy about a guy with a disfigured face.

Exactly! :lol:

Jimmy Hayward, who directed the animated Horton Hears a Who! will make his live-action debut with Jonah Hex, the Warner Bros. western based on the DC Comics character.

Josh Brolin is attached to star in the film, which previously had Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor (Crank) on board as directors. The duo, who also wrote the script, bowed out over creative differences in November.

The studio hopes to put the movie into production in March or April.

The character of Hex, known for having the right side of his face disfigured and wearing a Confederate army uniform, was a rough-and-tumble gunslinger and part-time bounty hunter whose adventures always ended in blood. One incarnation of his comic book series saw the Western genre combined with supernatural elements, and it's this aspect that was featured in Neveldine and Taylor's script.

Andrew Lazar's Mad Chance and Akiva Goldsman's Weed Road are producing.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51706

Here's an odd choice. Jimmy Hayward, who directed the animated Horton Hears a Who! will make his live-action debut with Jonah Hex, the Warner Bros. film based on the DC Comics character.

This may be the last you'll read of Jonah Hex here on Shock as we've heard the film has moved away from the supernatural aspects of the comic book and is more of a straight-up violent western. For the sake of closure, we felt we should update you on this latest development.

Josh Brolin is attached to star in the film, which previously had Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor (Crank) on board as directors. The duo, who also wrote the script, bowed out over creative differences in November.

The studio hopes to put the movie into production in March or April.

The character of Hex, known for having the right side of his face disfigured and wearing a Confederate army uniform, was a rough-and-tumble gunslinger and part-time bounty hunter whose adventures always ended in blood. One incarnation of his comic book series saw the Western genre combined with supernatural elements, and it's this aspect that was featured in Neveldine and Taylor's script.

Source: http://shocktilyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=9090

Crank directors Neveldine/Taylor left Warner Bros live-action adaptation of Jonah Hex over creative differences, leaving a gaping hole in the director’s chair. So who has Warner Bros found to replace the Crank madmen behind the camera?

Jimmy Hayward

You might be asking yourself who Jimmy Hayward is. I know I was when I read the announcement over on THR. Hayward was an animator on the early Pixar movies: Toy Story, A Bug’s Life, Toy Story 2, Monster’s Inc and Finding Nemo. He left Pixar to get his first shot in the director’s chair over at Blue Sky Studios, 20th Century Fox’s computer animation house. He directed 2008’s Horton Hears a Who! and did some additional direction on Robots.

Yes, that’s right - Jonah Hex will be Hayward’s live-action directorial debut. Warner Bros hopes to put the project into production in March or April, with Neveldine/Taylor’s screenplay, which begs the question — why did Neveldine/Taylor leave over “creative differences” if they’re using the same screenplay they wrote. I’m sure there is a lot more to the story. Josh Brolin is still attached to star.

Jonah Hex is a former alcoholic and confederate soldier turned supernatural loner and gunslinger. The comic book was introduced in the 1970’s, created by writer John Albano and artist Tony DeZuniga, the character received his signature scar at the hands of Indians who placed a hot tomahawk to his face. His mother was a prostitute and his dad sold him into slavery.

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/01/05/former...rect-jonah-hex/

Jimmy Hayward, who directed the animated "Horton Hears a Who!" will make his live-action debut with "Jonah Hex," the Warner Bros. western based on the DC Comics character.

Josh Brolin is attached to star in the film, which previously had Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor ("Crank") on board as directors. The duo, who also wrote the script, bowed out over creative differences in November. The studio, which hopes to put the movie into production in March or April, went on a fast-track search, putting together a short list that included such names as Andy Fickman and McG before narrowing it down to Hayward.

The character of Hex, known for having the right side of his face disfigured and wearing a Confederate army uniform, was a rough-and-tumble gunslinger and part-time bounty hunter whose adventures always ended in blood. One incarnation of his comic book series saw the Western genre combined with supernatural elements, and it's this aspect that was featured in Neveldine and Taylor's script. The studio will likely keep the script, though it's expected that Hayward will put his stamp on it.

Hayward, repped by UTA and manager Jason Grode, began his career as an animator on the Canadian TV series "ReBoot" before becoming a member of the Pixar family, where he worked on such films as "Toy Story," "A Bug's Life," "Toy Story 2," "Monsters, Inc." and "Finding Nemo." He also was involved in Fox and Blue Sky's animated film "Robots."

Hayward made his directorial debut with 2008's "Horton," which grossed $154.5 million at the domestic boxoffice.

Steven Zeitchik in New York contributed to this report.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...ed0f438c6651116

Guest AdminGuyX

Hortin Hears a Who? I can see how that film made the producers want him for something like Jonah Hex. I mean, how can you argue with it?

Especialy if they smoke a lot of crack and are often found with thier heads up thier asses.

Especially with directors like Joe Carnahan, and Robert Rodriguez walking around, who'd both be just terrible with this kind of material.

Then there are always your Andrew McKenzies, and Tom Janes who might be interested in directing.

:)

Hortin Hears a Who? I can see how that film made the producers want him for something like Jonah Hex. I mean, how can you argue with it?

Especialy if they smoke a lot of crack and are often found with thier heads up thier asses.

Especially with directors like Joe Carnahan, and Robert Rodriguez walking around, who'd both be just terrible with this kind of material.

Then there are always your Andrew McKenzies, and Tom Janes who might be interested in directing.

Trying to assess the logic of their decision - perhaps the project is heavy cg or it may be simply that they're going to treat the whole production as a live action cartoon. Strange. If they're working off the existing script then that would be the probable premise.

We're just waiting on actor attachments for ABWFY which should mean us rolling into production around the same time as Hex. That'd be funny going head to head in release. I think Bullet will run a lot darky and grittier. Jonah Hex has nothing on us.

regards

Andrew

I haven't seen Horton Hears a Who, but I'm willing to give the guy a shot. I mean the guy who did TMNT is doing the Dylan Dog film that Tim's suppose to be working on. Not exactly the #1 choice considering the material, so I'll just wait and see with this one.

I haven't seen Horton Hears a Who, but I'm willing to give the guy a shot. I mean the guy who did TMNT is doing the Dylan Dog film that Tim's suppose to be working on. Not exactly the #1 choice considering the material, so I'll just wait and see with this one.

What it does mean and I say this again is that we won't be getting a character based narrative. Without that at forefront it just flops for me. Then again, I'm a hard customer to please.

There used to be a time when I would hold out for any western being produced - not any more.

regards

Andrew

Guest AdminGuyX

Actually, TMNT wasn't bad for what it was. It had some solid work in there, a little bit of darkness, lots of action, and I thought it was better than any of the rubber suit live action flicks.

If they had hired Kevin Munroe for directing on Hex, I'd probably be a lot more interested to be honest.

And maybe I shouldn't be so grumpy about it, but Jimmy Hayward didn't even direct Horton by himself, there was a co-director involved.

I think, based on Hayward, they are going for that comedic vibe on Hex we are all dreading. Must be. I don't think it's about CGI. I think it's about being "zany".

All of his animation work has been comedic in nature. Good stuff, I'm not insulting the work he's done, I just don't see it for what I would do for a Hex flick. But, maybe the crank guys wrote a monty python movie called Jonah Hex.

To put it in Eastwood terms . . . I want High Plains Drifter, NOT Paint Your Wagon from a Hex flick.

this really blows...i don't want a comic Hex, I also didn't want a SUPERNATURAL Hex, I wanted the Hex that Tony DeZungia brought to us. A rebel badass, who was just as mean as he was good...sigh, yet another let down.

At least I've got Andrew McKenzie's western to look forward to!

by the way.I love the new avatar Noeland, it's freaking hypnotic. I just stare and watch it fire...cool.

I'm just happy it isn't Lexi Alexander, so anyone means that there's a chance that the movie won't be zany. And that's what I'm hoping for, I'm hoping he is a fan of westerns and makes changes to the script.

I don't think we'll be seeing any licensed films from Lexi for a long time. As for the new director, I have not seen Horton yet, but have heard good things about it. Now, being the right choice for a Hex film, well, maybe. Look at Happy Feet, brought to you by George Miller, the same director as the Mad Max films, as don't forget Mr. Tab Murphy, scribe of The Dark Country, who also penned a number of Disney flicks.

Maybe we'll get lucky.... (fingers crossed)

Guest AdminGuyX
Maybe we'll get lucky.... (fingers crossed)

That makes 2 of us! ;) But, I'm not going to subscribe to the blind hope idea for this one that way I did with War Zone, because it doesn't have the history that film did, or from what I can see, the potential.

I really cannot agree with the George Miller "reverse" comparisons. Miller is a well established storyteller. It doesn't matter if he's making a TV movie, a cartoon, or shooting music videos.

And he didn't go from Road Warrior to Happy Feet in a few years. There was a progression into children's stories. He produced Babe, and directed it's sequel, and he directed a few other films that were not even close to Road Warrior as well.

And if I may, Tab Murphy wrote some of the least "disney like" disney films they ever put out. I really liked Atlantis. And, I'm not speaking in terms of writing here anyway. Writing is a different animal.

I hope that Hayward is trying to break the pixar mold, wants to make a name for himself as a live action director and feels he has something to prove and wants to tell harder stories that are mean, serious, and visceral.

But based on the development history, the comments from Brolin, and the choices of directors so far, I sincerely doubt they are going hardcore on this one.

But based on the development history, the comments from Brolin, and the choices of directors so far, I sincerely doubt they are going hardcore on this one.

What I would like to see is that with Hayward coming on, that he will look at the script (the "zany" version) and say "NO". Like you mentioned, I hope he will try to break his mold and reach out to do things other than films geared for kids.

That said, there is a small glimer of light by getting an animated film director involved. I have a friend who was an animator for Disney before the big lay-offs around 2000, and he said that you would be hard pressed to find a bunch with darker imaginations in the business. This was coming from a guy who has a 7 foot painting of a vulture ripping apart a carcas in his dinning room ;)

I do agree with you though, after PWZ, it's hard to have blind faith in a project. I just hope that someone at WB has seen PWZ and knows what "zany" can do to box office sales.

Guest AdminGuyX

Yes, that's a great point! I worked with some Disney guys on a book called Carnopolis (which I am very proud to have been a part of) years ago, and they were some dark minded folks.

I hope the script gets a page 1 rewrite too, I just have an odd feeling they are trying to make a comedy based on all these choices.

:(

by the way.I love the new avatar Noeland, it's freaking hypnotic. I just stare and watch it fire...cool.

Thanks Andy, I found it over at imfdb.org (internet movie firearms data base) and just had to have it.

I doubt the script will get a page one rewrite - the director is one for hire to a package deal so doubt that seriously.

They will go Zany with a capital Z - as in computer game style - I guarantee it. It'll be very similar to Laundry Warrior.

We were in discussions on finance for ABWFY a while back with a group from Singapore - they would have financed us if Bullet was a game orientateed genre film - of course we're not.

It is near on impossible (as I've stated previously) to greenlight a straight western - they'll be pitching Hex as a shoot 'em up set in the 1800's - not as a western.

I agree on the comments regarding George Miller being a storyteller first. I have my reservations about an animation director going live action.

regards

Andrew

Yes, that's a great point! I worked with some Disney guys on a book called Carnopolis (which I am very proud to have been a part of) years ago, and they were some dark minded folks.

I hope the script gets a page 1 rewrite too, I just have an odd feeling they are trying to make a comedy based on all these choices.

Yeah a lot of animators seem to be sick motherfuckers. I know that a whole shit load of people from SpongeBob SquarePants worked on Rob Zombie's The Haunted World of El Superbeasto film.

I'm with Andrew on doubting it'll get a page 1 rewrite, I'm just hoping that it'll get rewritten enough so that it's not zany. Comparing it to Punisher: War Zone is a bit much, that movie had so much bullshit history going on behind, and WB is not Lionsgate. Plus WB put out that edict that they wanted just about all of their comic book movies to be as dark and gritty as The Dark Knight (which I think is a horrible idea, they just recently killed the Captain Marvel movie). So maybe they do want a serious Jonah Hex film, who the fuck really knows.

Also, Brolin was the one to bring Hayward on board as the director.

So while the rating issue is still a bit up-in-the-air, this is pretty cool confirmation that Brolin is not only wholly supportive of Hawyard; he's virtually responsible. What's more, it sounds like, as to be expected, Hayward will reexamine the existing screenplay and what's in store may be very, very different from the draft that's currently on the table.

Yeah a lot of animators seem to be sick motherfuckers. I know that a whole shit load of people from SpongeBob Square worked on Rob Zombie's The Haunted World of El Superbeasto film.

I'm with Andrew on doubting it'll get a page 1 rewrite, I'm just hoping that it'll get rewritten enough so that it's not zany. Comparing it to Punisher: War Zone is a bit much, that movie had so much bullshit history going on behind, and WB is not Lionsgate. Plus WB put out that edict that they wanted just about all of their comic book movies to be as dark and gritty as The Dark Knight (which I think is a horrible idea, they just recently killed the Captain Marvel movie). So maybe they do want a serious Jonah Hex film, who the fuck really knows.

Also, Brolin was the one to bring Hayward on board as the director.

Now that article put a beaming smile on my face - passion gets you across the line.

That's damn cool.

No more pre judgement from me.

regards

Andrew

Read something yesterday in the latest issue (Dec.) of SFX magazine about this movie. A preview of the upcoming movies for this year, and there was a small article about it, with some comments from Josh Brolin that made it sound like he's having second thoughts about doing this movie now. Don't know if it has anything to do with the changes at the top or not, but he sounded hesitant. Don't recall the exact words, so I'll have to reread the article and clarify.

But it makes me think that maybe there's a glimmer of hope that we could see Thomas in this role. That would be sweet. I just can't see Brolin as Hex. He just doesn't fit the character in my mind.

That might old, back when Nevledine and Taylor were still on it he made comments about being apprehensive about it.

Keep hoping M-fan. Brolin has been notorious for dropping out of projects. He's a great actor, and a good choice, but Jane should have to role. He already has shown his passion for it.