I figured this would be an upset, and I delt with it, until last week when I got kind of pissed off. I guess Megan Fox's character is supposed to be Tululah Black, only with a diffrent name, and I guess later in the film, some scaring (but not too much). What the hell! She has got to be one of the best characters from the Hex book besides Jonah.

The Hex film has also got me wound up over the confilct I have over seeing this. I don't want to support it if everything we've been hearing is true. I don't need to be force-fed shit. On the other hand, if this fails, what are studios going to say about the Western genre? Damn the studio heads, damn them to hell!

The Hex film has also got me wound up over the confilct I have over seeing this. I don't want to support it if everything we've been hearing is true. I don't need to be force-fed shit. On the other hand, if this fails, what are studios going to say about the Western genre? Damn the studio heads, damn them to hell!

I guess I always thought of this flick as comic book genre, not western genre. Appaloosa is western genre.

Considering that Jonah Hex and Wild, Wild West have been mentioned in the same sentence, I don't think I can bring myself to watch this flick, even on DVD.

The horse-mounted double gatling gun in the preview killed any chance for interest in this movie for me =/

I'm all for a little creative technology like the modified Lemat in RSD, but not something that's completely ridiculous, like the oar powered Higgin's boats used in the reverse Normandy invasion in Robin Hood.

Mike

Too bad. With that cast alone I was tempted to check this out but the word has been poor for a long time and now the reviews are just confirming it.

It's gonna be a blip on the radar of westerns. It's not going to increase or decrease the number of westerns being made, But if it makes you feel better, remember that the Coen brothers are doing the True Grit remake. So we all have that to look forward in regards to western films.

Once again it's hard to make a good film out of a bad script. The argument was probably made that it was existing product so the script quality didn't matter, but when an audience gets to view it - of course it does. Brolin seemed to champion this - which was in my view a waste of resources.

I don't see it as a threat to the 'Western' genre, but more to the 'Comic Book' genre. Then again even Ghost Rider can get ramped up for a sequel these days...

Once again it's hard to make a good film out of a bad script. The argument was probably made that it was existing product so the script quality didn't matter, but when an audience gets to view it - of course it does. Brolin seemed to champion this - which was in my view a waste of resources.

I don't see it as a threat to the 'Western' genre, but more to the 'Comic Book' genre. Then again even Ghost Rider can get ramped up for a sequel these days...

Hell, Brolin even said the script he read when signed on was bad. A comic book film doesn't necessarily have to be great or even that good to get a sequel going, it just has to make money.

That said, I'm still really interested in hearing the soundtrack to this. Shit, because Mastodon had a hand in it, I'll probably buy it.

The horse-mounted double gatling gun in the preview killed any chance for interest in this movie for me =/

I'm all for a little creative technology like the modified Lemat in RSD, but not something that's completely ridiculous, like the oar powered Higgin's boats used in the reverse Normandy invasion in Robin Hood.

Mike

The Lemat in RSD is not even a bad idea. Tim has created a world to play in, anything goes. Same for Shattered Empire :D

As for Hex, the world has already been established (and a pretty danm cool one) and now we get silly shit like dynamite firing crossbows. Why ruin a good thing. Yeesh.

The Lemat in RSD is not even a bad idea. Tim has created a world to play in, anything goes. Same for Shattered Empire :D

As for Hex, the world has already been established (and a pretty danm cool one) and now we get silly shit like dynamite firing crossbows. Why ruin a good thing. Yeesh.

AGREED!

I'm all about the Lemat :D

Especially after getting a chance to take Tim's out for a test fire!

To me that's just taking an existing technology one step further because there is a creative genius with the insight and tools to make it happen. But things that are added just because someone thought it would cool even tho there is NFW it could ever happen is another.

I know people can write in more than one genere, but knew stuff like this was going to happen when the guys who wrote the Crank movies were hired. They might as well have called it Crank: Back in the Day ;)

Tv spots look pretty bad. Sadly, I never knew much about Jonah Hex. My only real exposure to the character was on the animated Batman series, where he was featured in one episode. That was pretty good. Oh well, maybe in another ten years they'll get it right.

It looks like the soundtrack is going to be released on the 29th, so I'm eagerly anticipating listening to it.

Also, this movie seems to perpetuate the idea that Jeffery Dean Morgan can only be cast as people who die.

So, I haven't seen this, and I won't see this until it is on free cable...

But I gotta ask, why? why? why? Why not stick to the original story line? Hex is traded to the indians as a kid by his alcoholic father, raised as lesser than the rest of the tribe, until he proves himself. Then he goes to war, comes out just a grizzled mean bastard full of sand...how could some version of that...even remotely do worse at the box office than what they came up with? I've said it before, my standards are pretty low, but even I have a line I don't cross...

So, I haven't seen this, and I won't see this until it is on free cable...

But I gotta ask, why? why? why? Why not stick to the original story line?

Teenagers = $$$

Only this time it backfired. Sadly, WB won't learn a damn thing. They should try putting stuff like this to a fan vote. Stallone had been pretty good at getting on AICN to test ideas out with the fans, and it seems to be working for him. I understand that the comic fans make up but only a small portion of the profits, but if you have bad word of mouth from the start, it'll only get worse. Fan boys make the most noise, like it or not.

We can always hope Hex gets another go-round

I think it did worse than Punisher: War Zone, so it's going to be a good long while.

So it seems the original cut comes off a little less ridiculous. Then again if the performances aren't there, none of this really matters.

The dream sequence involving Brolin and bad guy John Malkovich, which pops up at least twice in the film, actually is part of Heyward's original climax. The plot about stealing high-tech cannonballs, along with a glowing ball detonator, were added during Lawrence's reshoots, as were scenes involving Hex's back-story, President Grant (Aidan Quinn) and Hex talking to the dead. (The first cut kept his link to the dead more ambiguous.) Scenes with Michael Shannon and Will Arnett were trimmed to mere seconds.

I had a few hours to kill after work, so I decided to check it out. First off, it's not the film fans want it to be. That being said, it is not as bad as the reviews have said either. The Supernatural stuff is not over-bearing and thank God the gatling gun/horse scene and the dynamite guns are only used in one scene each (yet the both make the poster :blink: )

The dream thing you mention Mike worked (kind of) the first time you see it. The second was a waste and make no sence at all. As for Malkovitch, just collecting a paycheck? Sure, but I've felt that way about him for about the last 5 years now. Burn After Reading and Changling, but what does he have to his name to as of late that he can be proud of? I don't think he was nessicarily bad in the role, but he could have done more. Anyone could have done what he did. Actors of that calibur should act, not fill the scenery.

Brolin was good. I would have like it better if Jane had gotten the part, but it was probably best he did not due to the outcome of the film. In a lot of ways, Hex is like the 04 Punisher. It had all the elements but was misguided by a bad script, yet had a lead that stood above it all. Jimmy Hayward's directing was better than I thought it would be. It did get pretty sparatic in the last 20 minutes and we very rushed, which is odd to me considering that it was 80 minutes long. They could have easily used another 10-15 minutes to flesh out scenes at the end so they made sence. For me, that's when it all fell apart. I could put up with all the BS (becasue I expected the worst I guess) but the end ruined it for me. The second dream sequence and the super weapon, mixed with fast editing and scenes that did not conect (it felt like the just took left over scenes and put them together so they could get at least an 80 minute run time).

Overall, if Hex was Punisher, it's closer to the '04 film than Warzone.

As for Malkovitch, just collecting a paycheck? Sure, but I've felt that way about him for about the last 5 years now. Burn After Reading and Changling, but what does he have to his name to as of late that he can be proud of?

What about Mutant Chronicles? ;)

The role was small, but I would've been proud to be a part of that movie. :)

Does that one count?

What about Mutant Chronicles? ;)

The role was small, but I would've been proud to be a part of that movie. :)

Does that one count?

No, he was sleep walking through that one.

Have to agree. His role in Mutant Chronicles may have been small but he looked and sounded completely bored the whole thing.

Yeah, Malkovitch was a bore in MC. Too bad, too. An actor of his credit and he pulled what he did. I don't think he even tried. It looked like he was biding his time until he could get off the set. You look at the other actors in that film, and a lot of them, like Tom, gave it their all.

From the looks of the Red trailer, it looks like he's going all in on that one. It looks like it'll be a fun performance from him.

I think actors should always give it their all.

Thomas Jane always does; he's one of the few.

Actors get paid too much to not.

I don't know if any of you have seen this video of John Malkovitch, but I think it's funny. To guys, it might be disturbing or uncomfortable to watch.

It's called Bathing With Bierko. Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like.

Here it is:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f1064c7ad...tubulargoldmine

You've been warned, guys.

Ohhh thats creepy. At least Malkovich looked like he was having a good time.

No he didn't...he looked like he was in pain. LOL It was creepy though, I'll give you that. I couldn't get thru the whole thing--I had to shut it off... eww.