Werner Herzog's Bad Lieutenant

I thought it might be fun to start this off with this interesting interview with Herzog, who apparently has no idea who Abel Ferrara is.

I love Herzog's work, but to not have any idea of who Abel Ferrera is? C'mon Werner, time to rejoin civilization.

Who Is Abel Ferrera? Interview with Werner Herzog.

What are your thoughts on the new film?

- TB

I love Abel Ferrera's films and its sad to hear that this is being remade. Next they'll be remaking King Of New York which is one of my top 10 favorite films of all time. And I don't think Nic Cage has what it takes. I've lost my interest in his films after all the past films. My two favorites of his are Raising Arizona and Wild At Heart. But I really don't want another remake Tim.

JO

I get what Herzog wants to do in comparison to the Bond films, but I don't see how he can do that with Bad Lt., why not pick a film that you could carry on that torch, esspecally if you are going to change the character.

I still don't get why if it's going to be changed as radically as they say it is, they don't slap another title on it. In reality, how many people outside of hardcore film lovers know what Bad Lt. is? Everytime I've ever brought it up in conversations, no one has any idea that such a film was made, so I can't see that there is a large enough following to create box office revinue from an exisiting fan base. I know the fan base for it has a cult status, but when push comes to shove, how many fans of that film are on Herzog's side or Ferrea's?

I get what Herzog wants to do in comparison to the Bond films, but I don't see how he can do that with Bad Lt., why not pick a film that you could carry on that torch, esspecally if you are going to change the character.

I still don't get why if it's going to be changed as radically as they say it is, they don't slap another title on it. In reality, how many people outside of hardcore film lovers know what Bad Lt. is? Everytime I've ever brought it up in conversations, no one has any idea that such a film was made, so I can't see that there is a large enough following to create box office revinue from an exisiting fan base. I know the fan base for it has a cult status, but when push comes to shove, how many fans of that film are on Herzog's side or Ferrea's?

Yeah, I know what you mean. Like when I bring up classic horror films such as Black Christmas or Prom Night or even great films like Planet Of The Apes or hell even Stepford Wives, all they know about them are the remakes which all sucked. It's like pretty soon none of the original films will be left and all cinema has to offer are these shitty remakes of classic american films, Japanese horror films, etc. We need some new ideas otherwise the market for new films is going to waste away.

JO

Capone: I’m sorry. This film that you’re doing under the name BAD LIEUTENANT. [Director] Abel Ferrera has already cursed it, thinking it is a remake of some sort…

WH: Yah, well, that’s why he’s…I mean, it’s all theater thunder. [laughs] Let him rave and rant. It’s not a remake. It’s like, you cannot say the last James Bond is a remake of the previous one. So, it only has a bad cop as the leading character, and that’s about it. So let him rave and rant. Beautiful. Maybe…I don’t know how he looks like today, but maybe he could play a drug dealer in the film or something [laughs].

Capone: So, can you tell what is different about the approach to the material?

WH: I haven’t seen the first BAD LIEUTENANT, so I have no idea what his approach was.

So there you have it, I guess. I am a little shocked that he has not seen the original. I can see an actor doing that, not trying to copy another acter, but as a director, wouldn't you want to keep the same tone as the first? I'm not trying to knock it, I think Werner is an amazing director and I'm sure this will be good too, but it would seem like he's undercutting himself. I guess on the up side, not one can accuse him of copying Able.

Capone: I’m sorry. This film that you’re doing under the name BAD LIEUTENANT. [Director] Abel Ferrera has already cursed it, thinking it is a remake of some sort…

WH: Yah, well, that’s why he’s…I mean, it’s all theater thunder. [laughs] Let him rave and rant. It’s not a remake. It’s like, you cannot say the last James Bond is a remake of the previous one. So, it only has a bad cop as the leading character, and that’s about it. So let him rave and rant. Beautiful. Maybe…I don’t know how he looks like today, but maybe he could play a drug dealer in the film or something [laughs].

Capone: So, can you tell what is different about the approach to the material?

WH: I haven’t seen the first BAD LIEUTENANT, so I have no idea what his approach was.

So there you have it, I guess. I am a little shocked that he has not seen the original. I can see an actor doing that, not trying to copy another acter, but as a director, wouldn't you want to keep the same tone as the first? I'm not trying to knock it, I think Werner is an amazing director and I'm sure this will be good too, but it would seem like he's undercutting himself. I guess on the up side, not one can accuse him of copying Able.

Then why the hell can't the use a different fuckin' name?

Jeez.

JO

The full title is Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans. I'm not digging it. Not a fan of the long titles unless they are epic sounding titles for epic movies.

Or absurd, like Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

Also, to add to the list:

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

and

Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers, or Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck, like Dr. Stragelove it's usual shortened down to The Fearless Vampire Killers, but I actually like it better than the original title Dance of the Dead.

Also, to add to the list:

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

and

Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers, or Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck, like Dr. Stragelove it's usual shortened down to The Fearless Vampire Killers, but I actually like it better than the original title Dance of the Dead.

And don't forget one The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford.

JO

And don't forget one The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford.

JO

Of course.

You know I can't seem to say that title without doing it in a southern twang for some reason.

• 10 months later...

You know, after seeing that trailer, I'm not sure. I'm going into this one forgeting that it's a sequal/reboot/whatever the hell they want to call this. I like Nic Cage, though as of late it's getting harder for me to say that. Every now and then he surprises me, and I think this one ... might. It looks crazy enough, and Cage is good at pulling that off.

Was it just me or was anyone else getting an Oliver Stone NBK/U-Turn vibe from the trailer?

Not so much Natural Born Killers, but I can get the U-Turn vibe.

The movie looks bug fuck nuts, I mean "Shoot him again, his soul's still dancing".

Archived