Sign in to follow this  
vectortv

Stan Winston has died

Guest AdminGuyX

Yes, this is incredibly sad news. Definately one of my idols. I always wanted to meet him, and would love to have worked with him one day.

It hasn't hit the mainstream AP wire just yet though. CNN, and such are not yet reporting this. It's on AICN and some other sites though. Odd.

This is really sad. Stan was the gold standard for creature effects. Too bad he only directed one film. Pumpkinhead was a great creature film. My favorite of his creations are the aliens from Aliens. I loved how he took Giger's work and design from the first and really evolved and expanded that vision. Of course the rest of his body of work speaks for it's self.

What the fuck. This year sucks ass. Winston was a badass winning 3 fuckin Oscars. That was a talented man.

A true loss the the film community and to the FX community.

What can I say about Stan that hasn't already been said?

Except that he won 4 Oscars Raf, not 3 ;)

Along with Rick Baker, Stan Winston set the standard for great practical FX in Hollywood for the past 25 years.

He was always on the cutting edge.

We fans of the genre, and movie fans around the world, will miss your contributions terribly.

I'd also like to extend condolences to Stan's family and friends from the ENTIRE RAW family.

- tb

Except that he won 4 Oscars Raf, not 3 ;)

- tb

Yes I stand corrected.... 3 movies, 4 Oscars. 2 of which belonged to his work for special effects and makeup for T2: Judgement day. I just did some research to correct my mistake. Thanks Street.

This sucks big time though. This guy was the best of the best for FX. He died at 62. That's pretty young to go I think but God has a plan for everybody if you believe in that sort of thing. I do.

-Raffi

I hate waking up to news like this. :(

RIP Stan.

Huge loss...may he rest in peace.

Stars, relatives honor Stan Winston

I knew Stan Winston slightly. His children and mine went to school together. I remember him as a warm and loving family man. He was unspoiled, as were his children.

His son Matt is acting now, I see. I'm pretty sure that was he in the HBO program, John From Cincinnati.

Nomad

Guest AdminGuyX

The guy who owned the motel was Stan Winston's son? No kidding. Wow. Had NO idea.

I think I'm one of the 8 or 10 people who actually loved that show. But I like anything Milch does, I think he's a pretty talented fellow.