Sign in to follow this  
origin1950

NATHAN FILLION AS CAPTAIN AMERICA.

Nathan Fillion.

I'm sold.

I could go on and on about Firefly, Serenity, etc . . . But just read TL's thoughts as they mirror my own (except for the cavalier attitude about ships in space and CGI creatures ;)

You know the other cool thing about Fillion as Cap? John Cassiday (awesome Cap artist) and Fillion are pals.

At least that was the impression I got when I saw them both at Wizard World LA a few years back when Whedon was promoting "Serenity".

I got to meet Nathan and he was super cool. But the coolest thing for me at the time was getting let backstage at the signing to hand over a "Shepherd Book" art proof to Ron Glass. I'm a fan of Ron's since Barney Miller! When I got the email from Joss asking me if I would do the Shepherd Book cover for Serenity: Those Left Behind I almost shit my pants :blink:

I love Fillion and I'd love to see him as Cap.

Just remember that in addition to bulking up for the role, Nate could mold his performance to meet the criteria for the character. He's an actor.

Just because he plays the same type of comedic-ish character wonderfully doesn't mean he can't play it straight (if I'm reading some of the neg response right).

Aw Hell, I'd still see it even if he DOES play that same type. I'm not necessarily that passionate about Captain America. I've always liked the character but I'm not so invested that a slightly different characterization would ruin it for me. That thought goes almost 180 from how I might normally respond to fucking with a beloved character's persona.

But in Fillion's case I must defer.

Someone let me know when this is official.

- TB

Cavalier attitude. HA!

Well that was the case before Firefly. Then again, I was always a big fan of Picard's Star Trek. Patrick Stewart and Data were just too fun to look away (change the channel).

-TL

By the way, I don't get a chance to sit down with my wife and watch a movie very often.

And because of that I usually let her pick the film . . . Not always with the best results ;)

However, that last time we sat and viewed, she selected "Waitress".

She picked a good one, it's a terrific film.

Nathan is awesome in it. His chemistry with Kerri Russell is wonderful.

Very sad story that the gal who wrote, directed, and co-starred in it, Adrienne Shelly was murdered before the film even came out.

Goddamn shame and hard to believe.

- TB

Wow man, that's terrible.

I gotta say Nathan blew me outta the water with Slither. He's so fuckin great in it...I had no idea I was gonna have that much fun watching a movie I heard about from Michael Rooker TV spots.

I actually have this habit of dating women that have never seen Slither and refuse to rent it, so I end up buying copies for them. I must have bought 5 copies last year. One of those was returned to me after the break up, so I currently own two.

Its a great film and for $10 you can't go wrong. There's a TON of featurettes shot by Nathan that just crack you up. And Rooker is fuckin hilarious. His bloopers make me explode in laughter.

The funniest thing out of the whole DVD, is hearing James Gunn (The Director) say that in his opinion the creepiest scene in the film is the scene where Grant (Michael Rooker) tries to have sex with his wife Starla (Elizabeth Banks) LOL.

The creepiest scene in the film has nothing to do with the mutants. zombies or alien slugs - its Michael Rooker shirtless trying to seduce a beautiful woman, that's really creepy. Priceless.

-TL

Slither is a fucking scream.

"The creepiest scene in the film has nothing to do with the mutants. zombies or alien slugs - its Michael Rooker shirtless trying to seduce a beautiful woman, that's really creepy. Priceless."

No shit, I gotta say that scene totally creeped me out too.

She had a look on her face like she was being caressed by maggots, which is exactly how I felt watching him paw her.

I'm laughing just thinking about it.

- Tb

I love SLiTHER, I got a DVD signed by director James Gunn (who I'm a huge fan of), Nathan Fillion and Rooker. Rooker is the man.

I love SLiTHER, I got a DVD signed by director James Gunn (who I'm a huge fan of), Nathan Fillion and Rooker. Rooker is the man.

... So, were do you live? I want to steal it.

Guest AdminGuyX

WELL, the only repsonse I got from the posting was this one.

Maybe what you heard was "Captain Hammer". No rumor. Already filmed and in post-production.

Joss Whedon's "DOCTOR HORRIBLE'S SING-ALONG BLOG"

Neil Patrick Harris..... as Dr. Horrible

Nathan Fillion.......... as Captain Hammer

Felicia Day............. as Penny

Preview poster: http://drhorrible. com

Fan-run website with promotion banners

http://doctorhorrible. net/promotion

Clickable link to The Official Fan Site of Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog

I also found this:

http://borkweb.com/story/doctor-horribles-sing-along-blog

http://www.myspace.com/doctorhorrible

Njc----------

Well, it sounds to me like Anonymous1 used the Capi inquiry to shed some light on Nathan's thing with Whedon.

I really doubt she has any knowledge of Nathan's involvement with Weapon I because Captain America is an In-Development project for Marvel and there is no cast as of now.

Hopefully Nathan himself can give you something to go by.

Its all very distorted right now and regardless of the studio's intentions to keep it that way, one can already begin to make out what's under the fog.

Captain America will be a serious film and perhaps the first true Marvel epic.

If Fillion's involvement ends up being a smoke grenade, then my previous statement will change to "Captain America coulda been a serious film and perhaps even the first true Marvel epic - had they gone with Nathan Fillion."

-TL

I actually do like Matthew McConaughey but if the rumors of this article are based in fact I for one will be very disappointed if Fillion doesn't get it.

Dark Horizons Report - McConaughey Is "Captain America"?

- TB

PS - thanks for the tip Jim Daly.

If Fillion's involvement ends up being a smoke grenade, then my previous statement will change to "Captain America coulda been a serious film and perhaps even the first true Marvel epic - had they gone with Nathan Fillion."

-TL

I second that emotion.

- TB

I'm very troubled by all this.

Why would the studio release an Avenger subtitled Captain America movie 6 weeks before THE AVENGERS movie???

It seems like a terrible box office strategy. The original plan was to have three titular Avenger characters star in their own individual films in the Summer of 2010. IRON MAN II in Late April, Captain America in June and THOR in August.

Now here's my other prob ---> MATTHEW McCOUNAGHEY??? WTF???

Marvel did so well in casting Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, how can they destroy that earned credibility with this fuckin guy?

If this proves to be true, Irish46 was right when he said Marvel would rather cast a pretty idiot than a talented actor with sex appeal.

-TL

Guest FADoss

I would be pumped to see Matty take the role. He's AMERICAN...ALL-American...and I vividly remember "Reign of Fire" and lets not forget "Frailty"...and any soon-to-be hearttrob who passes up other projects to be in a sequel to Texas Chainsaw Massacre can't be all bad. Also, with Nick Cassavetes on board as director ("The Notebook" and "Alpha Dog") I think we may be in for a treat...though I guess Ang Lee did the last "Hulk". :)

Fred

Fred, Frailty and Reign of Fire are 2 good films out of McCounaghey's list of 20 GARBAGE films.

The bad vastly outweighs the good, therefore I must deem him SHIT.

He's huge and all American yes, but not a respectable actor by any means.

-TL

You can't forget Dazed and Confused and I thought he was pretty good in Amistad.

Guest FADoss

Again, As cool as Fillion is...I find it way to weird that a Canadian would play Captain America (and I think we all know we're talking USA here and not just North America)...and weirder still that he would get TL's endorsement.

I love Nathan, but for Cap, we need an AMERICAN.

How about:

Josh Hartnett

josh-hartnett-4-27-07.jpg

My favorite along with Matty for All-American Boy.

Josh Holloway (Sawyer from "Lost")

2637262_ae023deb2a.jpg

Though he may have made a better Gambit...

From WAY left field:

Jake Gyllenhaal

jake-gyllenhaal-smile-large.jpg

I mean, if Heath can bypass the Brokeback jokes to pull off an amazing Joker...

How about Josh Duhamel:

780096.jpg

He was cool in "Transformers"

Or...Jim Caviezel...I mean...for Christ's Sake people (that was bad):

james_caviezel.jpg

Or we could stick with Matty:

reign3.jpg

mnpic2.GIF

matthewbald15do.jpg

Fred

Guest FADoss
You can't forget Dazed and Confused and I thought he was pretty good in Amistad.

Oh...he was also pretty good in "Contact" AND "A Time to Kill"...

capamerica.jpg

Josh Brolin:

joshbrolin.jpg

Justin Chambers:

justinchambers.jpg

Paul Walker:

walker01.jpg

Channing Tatum:

channing.jpg

Guest FADoss

Oh my GOD Tiara!!!

First, TB is going to lynch you for suggesting Walker...and isn't it bad enough that the gay poster boy got the role of the another All-American Hero?

Brolin would be cool though...I thought about him and ruled him out because I thought they'd go with someone younger...

Fred

Oh my GOD Tiara!!!

First, TB is going to lynch you for suggesting Walker...and isn't it bad enough that the gay poster boy got the role of the another All-American Hero?

Brolin would be cool though...I thought about him and ruled him out because I thought they'd go with someone younger...

Fred

*sip*

soooooooooo you saying TB gonna do something like major physical to me? :P :P :P

I can't wait!! :blink:

My first choice was Brolin; I think he would be fantastic.

Josh Hartnett: Doesn't even scratch the surface of a Marvel hero.

Josh Holloway: You're right Fred, Gambit was his ONLY chance. He ain't much past that.

Jake Gyllenhaal: Great actor, but more the Peter Parker type than the 6'2" wardog Capi needs to be.

Josh Duhamiel: Very average, somewhat cool in Transformers. If he couldn't steal the show from Shia, then he certainly doesn't qualify as Capi.

Jim Caviezel: Where did this come from???

Josh Brolin: Fantastic actor and wouldn't make a bad Capi - were he to embrace the physical aspects of the character. He feels more like an anti-hero than a Capi though.

Justin Chambers: No comment.

Paul Walker: I think Paul is a good actor in his respective realm - where he rules over the women that love looking at him and not paying attention to how bad an actor he can be. He has his moments but not enough of them for me to ever consider him capable of doing Captain America justice.

Channing Tatum: A younger and less impressive version of Walker, that will lead the cast of what perhaps may become next Summer's biggest blockbuster. Would he be a good Capi? Not a chance. Will he be a good Duke? We shall see in 14 months.

Matthew McCounaghey: Today's most mediocre actor with a list of crappers so long, I wonder if he even remembers when he stopped giving a shit about the roles he takes.

Nathan Fillion: A hidden gem that slipped through the cracks of bad actors that reign today's Hollywood. He most probably will NOT be playing Captain America, even though he is clearly the best choice. Canadian or not - He's better than any Brit or Aussie.

*Canadians are too close to home for us to put them in the same category as Brits or Aussies. They talk the same, act the same, drink the same, and fight the same. There is no effort required by a Canadian actor to act American. No dialect coach, no accent to conceal.

-TL

Brolin would be way better suited to an anti-hero.

I want to vomit all over CT's sweaty abs.

CT, that's right. I can't even stand writing out the absurdly pretentious soap opera hunk name.

Paul Walker would indeed be the worst joke EVER as Cap (next to CT).

And Freddie poo, I want to believe that middle shot from Reign Of Fire is actually a stunt double.

No way that's McCounaghey.

Like I mentioned above, I dig McCounaghey but I don't like him for Cap.

- TB

Guest FADoss

TL, you have the strangest case of xenophobia I know. So let me get this straight...It's okay for a Canadian to play an American ICON, and it's okay for an Aussie to play the ONLY cool Canadian super hero...so wouldn't it follow that we could have an Aussie play Capt America? I mean, lets just skip the middle man. :) It ain't about dialect coaches bro. And the CANADIANS are worse about FUCKING Americans in the film industry than the Aussies ever thought about being. Because of our "similarities" it's almost impossible to get a gig up there if you are from the US and they film everything up there.

TB, wow! You're right about the photo. After a brief bit o' research, the man's name pictured is Mark Norby...stunt double and close personal friend to Matthew. :)

Really running out of other known (semi-known) names out there to take the role.

There's Brian Van Holt:

He was in "SWAT", "Basic", "Black Hawk Down" and "House of Wax" (very good in HoW)

Threshold_gallery3.jpg

brian_van_holt4.jpg

brian_van_holt.jpg

18449187.jpg

Finally Fred, I choice of actor I can concur with completely.

Brian Van Holt was my personal choice for Nick Fury and I feel would also make a good Capi. He's pure American fire and played a perfect Airborne Ranger in McTiernan's BASIC. Unfortunately Van Holt's had a tough time landing decent gigs ever since.

He played the siamese twins in House Of Wax, The out of focus cop nobody remembers from SWAT, One of the three goombas in WHIPPED, The Fed gone bad in Man of The House and some more pointless soldiers in Windtalkers and Black Hawk Down.

I think he'd make a fantastic Captain America, were Fillion to get the shaft.

brianvanholtty1.jpg

*I've heard the same about the difficulty the Canadians give us with work up there. I don't think it relates to their interpretation of a particular character like this one though. They're a hundred times closer to us than anybody across the sea.

-TL